ADVERTISEMENT

Cliff omoRUyi

Here is one last thing for my advanced stats guys.
Went here https://evanmiya.com/
Went to player stats Went to big ten
Selected 4/5 for position.
Then selected “Bayesian Performance Rating which is the sum of a player's OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player's overall value to his team when he is on the floor.

It identified 45 them in the big ten.
Cliff was ranked 23rd among those players. So 22 bigs alone in big10 were more valuable than Cliff to their team. Thats big ten only!!! Zed key,
Mast, whare, opkara, were some that advanced stats identified as more valuable than Cliff to their team.
I’ll leave it at that.
Mike Drop!
This won’t go down with the board Genius’s
Pretty much ends the argument.
Thanks

You don’t know what my measurables are
Cliff is a terrible basketball player,
He has no heart, doesn’t make good decisions is maddening to watch and not what I want to see as a fan.
I will take a center who facilitates winning and knows important games and stretches shows up consistently.
All you talk about our stats most of which in this case are meaningless.
I watch the games and look at the scoreboard.
I don’t need stats I can see the champions. They are the ones on the team with the highest score at the end of the game
Who gives a shi.. what your measurables are? Did Cliff sleep with your daughter/wife/son/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend or something?
Cliff is what Cliff has always been, an excellent athlete playing basketball that people hyped up because of a ranking before he ever stepped on a court. He chose RU and played four solid years here, it's not his fault the team around him got worse every year.
It's not all about stats, you are right, and Cliff was the biggest difference in RU's performance when he was on or off the court.
Seems you like high scoreboard numbers, maybe your issues are with Pike and the way he builds his teams and not Cliff?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Mike Drop!
This won’t go down with the board Genius’s
Pretty much ends the argument.
Thanks
When you run the same analysis for 2022-2023, Cliff was 9th among B1G 4/5s.

What was the key difference? 🤔

Cam/Paul vs Derek/Noah. It all comes back to the guards.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Who gives a shi.. what your measurables are? Did Cliff sleep with your daughter/wife/son/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend or something?
Cliff is what Cliff has always been, an excellent athlete playing basketball that people hyped up because of a ranking before he ever stepped on a court. He chose RU and played four solid years here, it's not his fault the team around him got worse every year.
It's not all about stats, you are right, and Cliff was the biggest difference in RU's performance when he was on or off the court.
Seems you like high scoreboard numbers, maybe your issues are with Pike and the way he builds his teams and not Cliff?
Really uncalled for don’t bother responding I am putting you on ignore

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Then selected “Bayesian Performance Rating which is the sum of a player's OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player's overall value to his team when he is on the floor.

Cliff was ranked 23rd among those players. So 22 bigs alone in big10 were more valuable than Cliff to their team. Thats big ten only!!! Zed key,
Mast, whare, opkara, were some that advanced stats identified as more valuable than Cliff to their team.
I’ll leave it at that.
The stats are all fun, but when they are measuring the value to a bad team, all the numbers look bad, so Cliff gets zero help from the offensive end. It also considered Cliff, Simpson, JMike, and Mag amongst the top 15 defenders in the league.
Nobody thinks Cliff is an above average offensive player, just not sure why it's hard to appreciate him for what he was. Most of the country want him, but RU can easily upgrade. Sure.

I’ll leave it at that.
That stat doesn't show how valuable the player was to the team. If you note, the players on the best teams are at the top. The stat to look at is the +/- among all the Rutgers players.

If you look at that you get a bunch very counter intuitive stats showing that Cliff was 7th on the team behind the likes of Woolfolk. If you look at the previous season though Cliff is #1 on the team by a wide margin.

So, yeah, he had a really bad year but was the MVP the previous year.

And in his last two years Myles Johnson led the team in +/- by a wide margin.

Last edited:
Sure, it's a team game and I have blamed much of the disappointing season on poor guard play, referring to DSelfish and JaChucker often. I think Pike's overplay of those two undermined GG's performance too. GG is a perimeter player forced to play out of position because of the 3 guards in most of the time (which we will have again next year). If we had better guards capable of hitting outside shots, yes Cliff might have had more opportunities, and also more misses, kicks, etc. Losing Cam's outside shot, and Paul's lob affected Cliff's stat sheet a small amount, maybe 2 ppg ? That's not even this debate.

The fact remains that he's a poor offensive player no matter who he's playing with. Before this year he wasn't able to shoot, pass, dribble, catch and sometimes didn't even realize he was shooting from behind the basket either so the 'guard play excuse' for lack of talent makes no sense.

On offense, he's been the same untalented, uncoordinated oaf for four years, unrelated to the roster.

It shouldn't be difficult to replace him with a player who can at least do any of the above things. If we lose shot blocking in the 'tradeoff', who cares.

Reactions: socaldave
Sure, it's a team game and I have blamed much of the disappointing season on poor guard play, referring to DSelfish and JaChucker often. I think Pike's overplay of those two undermined GG's performance too. GG is a perimeter player forced to play out of position because of the 3 guards in most of the time (which we will have again next year). If we had better guards capable of hitting outside shots, yes Cliff might have had more opportunities, and also more misses, kicks, etc. Losing Cam's outside shot, and Paul's lob affected Cliff's stat sheet a small amount, maybe 2 ppg ? That's not even this debate.

The fact remains that he's a poor offensive player no matter who he's playing with. Before this year he wasn't able to shoot, pass, dribble, catch and sometimes didn't even realize he was shooting from behind the basket either so the 'guard play excuse' for lack of talent makes no sense.

On offense, he's been the same untalented, uncoordinated oaf for four years, unrelated to the roster.

It shouldn't be difficult to replace him with a player who can at least do any of the above things. If we lose shot blocking in the 'tradeoff', who cares.
Layoff the drugs dude.

Layoff the drugs dude.
Interesting how you just can’t stick to the subject, and when you disagree you resort to emojis inference assumptions and negative characterizations.
Last question how old are you?
No need to answer. Love the ignore button.

That stat doesn't show how valuable the player was to the team. If you note, the players on the best teams are at the top. The stat to look at is the +/- among all the Rutgers players.

If you look at that you get a bunch very counter intuitive stats showing that Cliff was 7th on the team behind the likes of Woolfolk. If you look at the previous season though Cliff is #1 on the team by a wide margin.

So, yeah, he had a really bad year but was the MVP the previous year.

And in his last two years Myles Johnson led the team in +/- by a wide margin.
Seems to depend on the site you look at. sports-reference has Cliff as #1 on the team in Box Score +/-, just ahead of Hyatt. Center is the one position that is almost completely dependent on those around them. Just about every issue this year starts and ends with the back court.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Interesting how you just can’t stick to the subject, and when you disagree you resort to emojis inference assumptions and negative characterizations.
Is that how you handle life, someone disagrees with you and you then ignore? Kind of the issue with society nowadays isn't?

Interesting how you completely ignored my post on those stats where the year before shows Cliff as 9th best in the B1G. I love ignorant people, they make the day fun.

Is that how you handle life, someone disagrees with you and you then ignore? Kind of the issue with society nowadays isn't?
Notice how he refused to address my post because it contradicts everything then runs to the ignore button.

We've had plenty of disagreements and have never had to do that because adults can have discussions. Feeble children on the other hand.

Seems to depend on the site you look at. sports-reference has Cliff as #1 on the team in Box Score +/-, just ahead of Hyatt. Center is the one position that is almost completely dependent on those around them. Just about every issue this year starts and ends with the back court.
On offense that's true. The +/- takes everything into account.

I don't understand the need to keep debating the performance of Cliff at Rutgers.He played four years at Rutgers and he should be commended for his achievements in the classroom and on the basketball court.Its April 19,2024 and time to move on by discussing next seasons roster along with the anticipated excitement at the RAC.

I don't understand the need to keep debating the performance of Cliff at Rutgers.He played four years at Rutgers and he should be commended for his achievements in the classroom and on the basketball court.Its April 19,2024 and time to move on by discussing next seasons roster along with the anticipated excitement at the RAC.
newsflash....people debate Jesus' race, Japanese aircraft carrier maneuvers at Midway and other arcane things that make no difference anymore, and you can't understand why Cliff is discussed here ?

Lot of disappointed people here next year when our replacement center isn't nearly as much of a difference maker as Cliff is with our team. Most of these recruiting analysts and college coaches must not know shit ranking Cliff so highly.

Notice how he refused to address my post because it contradicts everything then runs to the ignore button.

We've had plenty of disagreements and have never had to do that because adults can have discussions. Feeble children on the other hand.
Yup, no doubt.
It's OK for people not to agree, as long as we make each other think and are willing to consider other viewpoints, it's a good thing.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Lot of disappointed people here next year when our replacement center isn't nearly as much of a difference maker as Cliff is with our team. Most of these recruiting analysts and college coaches must not know shit ranking Cliff so highly.
They don’t, the same clowns ranked Cam in the 40’s last year. He ended up being the #1 best portal transfer in the country and he didn’t get $1,000,000
The guys who do these rankings end up getting it wrong more times than not.

They don’t, the same clowns ranked Cam in the 40’s last year. He ended up being the #1 best portal transfer in the country and he didn’t get $1,000,000
The guys who do these rankings end up getting it wrong more times than not.
Clearly you don’t understand supply & demand. There are very few quality bigs so they will always draw the highest NIL amounts. Has absolutely nothing to do with who the best player is because the drop off in quality bigs is severe compared to shooting guards. But keep providing this great fodder. It’s been amusing to say the least.

Clearly you don’t understand supply & demand. There are very few quality bigs so they will always draw the highest NIL amounts. Has absolutely nothing to do with who the best player is because the drop off in quality bigs is severe compared to shooting guards. But keep providing this great fodder. It’s been amusing to say the least.
Are you saying short guys have little value? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Being ‘a quality big’ doesn’t mean what it used to mean. The NBA style and metrics favoring 3pt shooting devalues ‘bigs’ somewhat, especially those without much to offer offensively. Speaking only about offense, I don’t think there was a P5 5 in the country with less talent than Cliff. IMO he’s finding out the roles he’s being offered (low usage on O) aren’t what he hoped for.

Pike got all he could from Cliff; there just wasn’t much to get.

Reactions: socaldave
Being ‘a quality big’ doesn’t mean what it used to mean. The NBA style and metrics favoring 3pt shooting devalues ‘bigs’ somewhat, especially those without much to offer offensively. Speaking only about offense, I don’t think there was a P5 5 in the country with less talent than Cliff. IMO he’s finding out the roles he’s being offered (low usage on O) aren’t what he hoped for.

Pike got all he could from Cliff; there just wasn’t much to get.
LOL, if you say so. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT