ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ash Chops Frank Burns Award, 2 Others

Hmmm. Maybe a rash decision. I appreciate HCCA need to establish a new culture, and I hope he's got some things in mind that will replace the things that he has set aside. But there is a real need for him to address the issue of disrespect for the past.

I'll wait to hear Ash's explanation; maybe he has something else in mind. Besides, 99% of the current Rutgers community never heard of Frank Burns. Maybe the Major on *MASH but not the QB and football coach.

Reactions: VW Knight
spring awards are silly anyway

if Burns is to be honored, make it a post-season award.

YES - Burns deserves a bit more prominent form of recognition than "the Frank R. Burns Award for mental and physical toughness during spring football"
- there are no real metrics for this, there is little to no 'visibility' on the part of the fan base ... it is an an award for truly unmeasurable achievement during a time period when the football program's priorities are focused more on a great number of qualitative and not quantitative activities.
in a way it ends up being a rather trivial / low-profile way to recognize Frank Burns.

Reactions: SanFranRutgers
YES - Burns deserves a bit more prominent form of recognition than "the Frank R. Burns Award for mental and physical toughness during spring football"
- there are no real metrics for this, there is little to no 'visibility' on the part of the fan base ... it is an an award for truly unmeasurable achievement during a time period when the football program's priorities are focused more on a great number of qualitative and not quantitative activities.
in a way it ends up being a rather trivial / low-profile way to recognize Frank Burns.

Glad you brought that up the last thirty years or so.

What does this even mean, taking away the Chop???

Players can still do it..fans can still do it. It's just not meaningful anymore.

"We’re nowhere ready to give anybody an award for anything," Ash said. "To give an award for most improved on offense or defense, I couldn’t even begin to tell you who that would be. And I don’t think anybody wants to get a fake award just because it’s something that’s going on."

What does this even mean, taking away the Chop???

Players can still do it..fans can still do it. It's just not meaningful anymore.

It means it won't be part of the program. No more lumberjack references. No more hashtags. The fans can do whatever the hell they want, they can bring back chats from the 1800's if they want to.

JHC, can we let the guy run his program the way he wants to run it? He is cleansing a program that turned into a joke. I don't care what the eff he does to change it. I'm all in.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
"We’re nowhere ready to give anybody an award for anything," Ash said. "To give an award for most improved on offense or defense, I couldn’t even begin to tell you who that would be. And I don’t think anybody wants to get a fake award just because it’s something that’s going on."

I believe this says it all. I get it that we went from awful to consistently competitive and people want to honor those "good ole days" of the Schiano Era. But this guy apparently wants to go from competitive to consistently good on a national level. Let him do his job. Im sure he has nothing against Frank Burns or the award itself even. He just doesn't feel that anyone one the team has earned an award yet. End of discussion.

Misses the point. The awards were also a neat way to honor Coach Burns and two players who literally died for Rutgers. Tradition for decades. This is a silly decision did not have to make. Would have been a nice feel good moment to award one award to Hamilton as he strives to overcome his injuries, etc.

I'm 100% fine with this, shit, EVERY kid should be "mentally and physically tough" whether it's spring ball, summer camp, or the regular season. The goal of UM's philosophy, which Ash uses, is that it essentially "weeds out" the kids who can't cut it as such (mentally/physically) so I get this move. No disrespect to Burns intended, whatsoever, IMHO.

Well according to Ash, he's now coaching the University of New Jersey Scarlet Knights.

Ash just gets it man. No cuum-bi-yaw. No pats on the back. No 1990s everyone gets a trophy for showing up. God, its refreshing to have the 1980s back.

Agree. Also, on a personal level, I hate the fact there will no longer be a recipient of the Mark Mills Second Effort Award. Mills was a 1982 Piscataway High School grad, as was I. He was a beloved classmate. He was respectful and understanding to all. I never heard anyone say a bad word about him. His untimely death still sends a shiver down my spine.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/05...k-Mills-who-collapsed-during-a/1735421560000/

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/13/sports/rutgers-fullback-dies-in-hospital.html

I was a sophomore at the time and have 0 recollection of this. We did have a guy on the track team die the year before that over the summer.

I asked a fellow season ticket holder of over 20 years what he thought about the elimination of the sprig awards. Honest to god he said to me "we give out spring awards?" enough said. I am still laughing.
I've been a fan since the Anderson years and a season ticket holder since 2004(really didn't need to before that as tickets were plentiful). And I didn't even know about the awards. Also I remember my 1st year of Pop Warner in 4th grade I got the Most Improved trophy. I looked at my coach and said what's this supposed to mean that I sucked when I started. My coach just died laughing, he still reminds me of that story to this day.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but Coach Frank Burns deserves a higher -- and more permanent -- profile award status than "...mental and physical toughness during spring football..."

Agreed.

And I like the chop and it should stay in some form--that being said, Ash needs to bring his own culture. It's a tough line building on the prior without tearing down for the sake of newness.

I understand Ash wants to establish his own identity with the program, but removing awards that go back a few decades is, IMO, a slap in the face to all of those who earned the awards and former players. Like it or not Ash, in the eyes of many, is removing the connection to a man (Burns) who was and still is Rutgers football. Change was required, but everything doesn't have to go. Perhaps the awards aren't given during the spring game, but remain a part of the program. I spoken with a few former players, who are 100% behind Ash, but can't get behind this one. It seems like he's cutting ties with all from the past. The question now becomes in Ash's attempt to purge Flood's mistakes he somehow is erasing a lot more than just one coach's legacy. Is Ash under the impression Rutgers never won and Flood only made things worse? I respect the ways of Ohio State and Rutgers can learn from them, but Rutgers still has pride and some of its own traditions that are important to us.

Signed
Doug Adkins
1991 Frank R. Burns award winner

The Burns aspect is all I care about. The man was a great player and one of our best head coaches (understanding it was a different era and his teams were playing against a lower level of competition). I hope Ash has some alternate tribute in mind.

Hmmm. Maybe a rash decision. I appreciate HCCA need to establish a new culture, and I hope he's got some things in mind that will replace the things that he has set aside. But there is a real need for him to address the issue of disrespect for the past.

Uhm, no, there really isn't. If you read the entire article he gives perfectly logical reasons for what he is doing and why.

Last edited:
So knighting a guy is wonderful. That ritual is fine. But the decades long rituals of honoring the Father of modern RU football and two players who died literally playing RU football is now bad.

Makes perfectly good sense!

Sorry Doug, the award no longer exists, please remove from your signature.
I respect Ash, but I like being connected to one of Rutgers' greatest players and coach.[banana][banana][banana]

Last edited:
If anyone took the time to actually listen to his pressor, Ash didn't rule out giving out those awards next spring. He just said he doesn't feel anyone deserves an award at this time. How does a new coach give an award on "most improved" if he wasn't here to see the player last year? Many times that award has gone to a 2nd or 3rd stringer. There's not enough film to evaluate that player even if he wanted to give that award out. Ash has been nothing but brutally honest in answering questions thrown at him. I don't even mind him assessing how lacking we are in certain aspects or positions at this time. Go back and listen to some Lou Holtz' pressors. Every pansy team he played was described as some powerhouse which his poor undermanned ND teams were gonna have a hard time competing against. Worked pretty well for him

Doug - aren't there are # o
If anyone took the time to actually listen to his pressor, Ash didn't rule out giving out those awards next spring. He just said he doesn't feel anyone deserves an award at this time. How does a new coach give an award on "most improved" if he wasn't here to see the player last year? Many times that award has gone to a 2nd or 3rd stringer. There's not enough film to evaluate that player even if he wanted to give that award out. Ash has been nothing but brutally honest in answering questions thrown at him. I don't even mind him assessing how lacking we are in certain aspects or positions at this time. Go back and listen to some Lou Holtz' pressors. Every pansy team he played was described as some powerhouse which his poor undermanned ND teams were gonna have a hard time competing against. Worked pretty well for him

Thank you!!!! Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of posters DID NOT read the article or listen to the presser.

Chop and Family I think are pretty corny, but I thought the spring awards were a good way to recognize the hard work of the players, would like to see them stay. I think anyone working that hard would like some recognition, that's all.
Agree. Frank Burns WAS Rutgers Football. My Dad played for him his (my Dad's) freshman year in 1951. Said he was one of the greatest men he ever met. Hopefully Coach Ash will be upgrading Frank Burns' award to something bigger.

Based on his explanation for not giving out the awards this Spring, I get and support what Ash is doing. The awards may come back next year.

You don't build a championship caliber football program by giving out participation awards. I suspect Ash and/or RU will find another way to pay tribute to Burns or the others in due time.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Was not thought through.
Based on his explanation for not giving out the awards this Spring, I get and support what Ash is doing. The awards may come back next year.

You don't build a championship caliber football program by giving out participation awards. I suspect Ash and/or RU will find another way to pay tribute to Burns or the others in due time.

Like Knighting players? How is that any different? Odd decision. No reason to raise this fight and bit of slap to RU tradition. Hardly participation awards.

It means it won't be part of the program. No more lumberjack references. No more hashtags. The fans can do whatever the hell they want, they can bring back chats from the 1800's if they want to.
Which is totally fine.

Flood continuing the Chop was because that's all he could ever do, ride the coat-tails of Schiano's success in making Rutgers a winning/respected program and leaving behind some great recruits. Once Greg's touch was gone, Flood sank to the bottom of the river.

Its the Ash Era now, not the "I wish were a good coach like Schiano but I suck" Era.

Reactions: ruready07
Was not thought through.

Like Knighting players? How is that any different? Odd decision. No reason to raise this fight and bit of slap to RU tradition. Hardly participation awards.
Read what he said. It explains it better than I can. He's going to run the program in a way that makes sense to him. I applaud him for it. After all, he's the one who will get fired if things don't work out.

The knighting thing is almost the opposite of a participation award. There's no compulsory aspect to it (which cannot be said of these Spring practice awards where somebody has to get it). If nobody earns the removal of the black stripe; then nobody would get it.

Awards shouldn't just be given out without earning it... I get that. Also, Ash did say he may hand out the awards next year, but what got me going was the whole exchange. My mother use to say it's not what you say, but how you say it that really gets your true message across. It came across no different than some of the idiot posters from PSU or SU that come here to give out backhand complements.

Thank you!!!! Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of posters DID NOT read the article or listen to the presser.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT