ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ash Chops Frank Burns Award, 2 Others

There's not really a significant amount of outrage.
  • Doug received the Award and is obviously close to it and it effects him negatively (rightly so)
  • G-Unit likely has an agenda and if you look at his posting history likely did not want Ash here and badmouthed him in the past and is looking to find / perpetuate the negative or fault in further things that Ash does
  • Sparse others are likely older fans who have a better link to Burns and want his memory to continue forward as part of tradition
It's likely that at least 80% of the people on this board were not even aware of these Spring Practice Awards prior to their removal.

Have not bad mouthed anybody nor do I have an agenda but call it like I see it. It's a fan board. I think waiting a month to come here was a huge mistake and certainly a fair topic for disagreement. If Knighting a player is a cool idea for their hard work then I dont understand how their are no deserving players, especially when it is to honor the Godfather of RU football and two players that passed.

In the grand scheme not a big deal but if you are going to brag about attention to detail it was a nice little honor to remember the past.

Coaches can make mistakes as we have seen far too often.

Reactions: LC-88
Literally 4 people care.
Maybe on this board. But the silver haired fans on the fifty care. Coach Burns attended RU games until he physically couldn't make it anymore. He was dedicated to RU for the majority of his life. Show the guy some respect. This thread reminds me of the one we had about not taking your cover off during the National Anthem.

Personally I think Coach Burns should have a more prestigious award given out in his honor, but I don't think he should be ignored either. I see where Coach Ash is coming from, but not a good idea in my opinion.

Reactions: jjjenn
He is setting the bar low.
He knows there is no tradition or consistent winning or championships.
He is showing he controls the program not the fans.

All those who are upset with our new regime should resign themselves to watching last year's tapes of 3rd down and 9. Laviano throws either a complete or incomplete 3 yard pass. And Kyle praises Laviano. Whoooppppppeeeee.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...tball-rid-frank-burns-spring-awards/82456926/

Gannett New Jersey has learned that Rutgers does not intend to hand out the Frank R. Burns Award for mental and physical toughness during spring football, nor the Douglas A. Smith and Mark Mills Second Effort Awards for the defensive and offensive players, respectively, who have shown the most improvement in the spring.

Article says Coach Ash has chopped the chop and F.A.M.I.L.Y. too.
I am disappointed that Frank's toughness award is not to be given,this year.It not only honored Frank ,as hard nosed a guy(but always a gentleman) as they come,but also exemplified that quality that is the core of playing the game. As to the Mills and Smith awards,I wonder if ASH is aware that these two fine young men actually died on the practice field,giving their all for RUTGERS.

Have not bad mouthed anybody nor do I have an agenda but call it like I see it. It's a fan board. I think waiting a month to come here was a huge mistake and certainly a fair topic for disagreement. If Knighting a player is a cool idea for their hard work then I dont understand how their are no deserving players, especially when it is to honor the Godfather of RU football and two players that passed.

In the grand scheme not a big deal but if you are going to brag about attention to detail it was a nice little honor to remember the past.

Coaches can make mistakes as we have seen far too often.

Do we really need to explain to you the difference between potentially "Knighting" every kid on the roster and singling out a kid, in his 1st spring as HC, for trying harder than everyone else? If you don't understand that then you're completely missing the point of WHY Ash removed this award, and the other 2, for this spring. You don't like the move, fine, but you're barking up the wrong tree with this line of thinking.

....listen, we ALL understand Coach Burns' role as both a player AND HC here, and all respect that, but you need to understand this isn't about Burns, bottom line, no matter how much a few of you want to make it out to be.

Reactions: VW Knight
It is Coach Ash's program now, and IMO he should be able to run it in the way he thinks will be most successful. I liked these awards, but my ass is not on the line if the team does not succeed. His butt is.

I am grateful we hired someone who seems to be a principled coach. As long as he fills that bill, I support his right to do it his way 100%.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I am disappointed that Frank's toughness award is not to be given,this year.It not only honored Frank ,as hard nosed a guy(but always a gentleman) as they come,but also exemplified that quality that is the core of playing the game. As to the Mills and Smith awards,I wonder if ASH is aware that these two fine young men actually died on the practice field,giving their all for RUTGERS.

It is not about Burns, Mills or Smith.

I have been attending RU football games for over 40 years. I have never paid any attention to these awards. I'm sure many others have not also. When you read what the awards are for, it is basically what is expected from every player: Frank R. Burns Award for mental and physical toughness during spring football; the Douglas A. Smith and Mark Mills Second Effort Awards for the defensive and offensive players. What exactly is mental and physical toughness during spring football anyway? Lets find other meaningful ways to honor these three.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Coach Ash and his family and staff will live or die based on what 18-22 year olds do over ~42 hours in the fall.
Wait a minute............they're gonna be executed if we don't do well this fall? That's a little harsh.

I don't really have any problem with getting rid of spring awards which I'm not even sure how many fans were aware about. Winning is the only tradition I'm concerned with and anyway awards should be handed out for something really exemplary not just for the sake of it. If Ash feels they should be brought back in the future then fine and if not that's fine as well.

I posted something awhile back about Tom Herman putting his linemen up in first class and moving the boosters out. Now if you want to talk about shakeup, that's something a little surprising to say the least. Getting rid of spring awards isn't even a blip on the radar IMO.

He is setting the bar low.
Which from a recruiting standpoint is absolutely the CORRECT thing to do. No matter how bad things may get this season, the coaching staff will be continually repeating the following mantra to Melton et al: "Remember, it's not about this season."

And it isn't.

Frank Burns did more with less than any coach I can remember for Rutgers.
I have often thought the stadium should bear his name.
Only if we can collect a couple million a year for it!

Only if we can collect a couple million a year for it!
Seems like we could have it both ways. Kind of like the bowl games using the sponsor and the traditional name together.
As an example, United Airlines Orange bowl.
My point is that Burns should have some form of permanent honor related to football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT