ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Pikiell is...

Btw, some coaching staffs don't want everyone knowing who they are out watching. I've Tweeted about some schools & who they were watching and then received a text from a coach asking me to delete the Tweet.

It's possible that Eddie Jordan ran his program like that
That's interesting to hear because I would think coaches would want the college basketball world know that they and staff are checking out all the recruits they think would help their program.
Why would they want to keep it under the radar?
Is it that some recruits they talked to worried that another player was thought more highly of because the coach went to their game?

Kudos for the way you clarified your thoughts about Jordan's recruiting.[cheers]

Btw, some coaching staffs don't want everyone knowing who they are out watching. I've Tweeted about some schools & who they were watching and then received a text from a coach asking me to delete the Tweet.

You sir are as classy as they come. I always enjoy your posts, knowledge, insight and the tact you use.

20170720_124035_zps54cv65xt.jpg
Adidas centered in the pic. Nice. :sunglasses:

That's interesting to hear because I would think coaches would want the college basketball world know that they and staff are checking out all the recruits they think would help their program.
Is it that some recruits they talked to worried that another player was thought more highly of because the coach went to their game?

Kudos for the way you clarified your thoughts about Jordan's recruiting.[cheers]
There was an article online last week (can't remember the outlet) that describes exactly was @Russ Wood was talking about.

Do you really adhere to such censorship? That's a troubling revelation.

Adidas centered in the pic. Nice. :sunglasses:

There was an article online last week (can't remember the outlet) that describes exactly was @Russ Wood was talking about.
Thanks, but unless can find that article knowing coaches don't want everyone knowing who they are out watching doesn't tell me why.
I can only guess it might be an under the radar type a coach doesn't want known just yet. Or if it's known a coach is watching a player that might make another the coach is recruiting recruiting feel slighted and that player might start thinking strongly of going elsewhere .

Generally speaking college coaches are pretty secretive about certain things.

Most of them have closed practices and workouts. Which is one reason coaches want practice facilities that are dedicated just to basketball so that they can control who comes in.

I've talked to coaches who, when they find a kid who is under the radar, secretly hope he doesn't play well in his next AAU Tournament so that other coaches don't see how good he is.

Years ago I asked a coach which AAU tournament he was going to. He wouldn't say, he just told me the city he was going to be in (there were at least 3 tournaments in that city that week). Then he said:

Please don't publish. Other kids get offended if you aren't where they are.

Those are just some of reasons some coaches don't want people to know what tournament they're at and who they're watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUonBrain
Do you really adhere to such censorship? That's a troubling revelation.
Nope I never have, but I have been asked. I know a few guys who have though. I have never even felt pressure to do so either.

I once posted on the message board of an AAC team that a particular assistant coach would be leaving the program.

Within 10 minutes the associate head coach of the program called me and asked where I got my info.

I politely told him that it was a very reliable source and that I could not tell him who my source was.

The associate HC said something like: Ok, but I think your source got it wrong.

I told him that if my information is incorrect I would personally travel to their Town come to their basketball offices and apologize to the entire staff.

Two days later they hired a new assistant coach. The assistant that I posted about left the program and is now coaching a successful and prominent high school team in that state He follows me on Twitter, we've spoken several times.

Thanks Russ, appreciate your replying to my question.
The article also said the same thing about the coaches hoping their guy does poorly in a showcase setting for the reasons @Russ Wood mentioned above.

It was on my iPhone's Apple newsfeed, wish I could still find it.

The article also said the same thing about the coaches hoping their guy does poorly in a showcase setting for the reasons @Russ Wood mentioned above.

It was on my iPhone's Apple newsfeed, wish I could still find it.
If you find it, please post link.
But thankfully Russ answered and I thank the both of you for letting me know about that part of recruiting that's not ( at least as far as my knowledge) known by many college basketball fans.
[thumb2]

Pike needs to be seen out and about because he is trying to change the lazy reputation of the previous regime (right or wrong). Also if he is flying down to Florida to watch Mathis has to mean we're in it, which might say something to other recruits.

Someone like Calipari is prob stringing 25 top guys along and wants them to know as little as possible about each other.

Not much different then dating. My best looking guy friend had the most dates and got the most action but was the least public about anything because the less people knew, the less people could talk, the less of a chance the girls find out about each other.

Me? Whenever I out kicked my coverage I made me and her aaa public as possible

Reactions: Scangg
Oh please, Calipari doesn't care if one five-star kid knows he is recruiting another five-star kid at the same position. In fact he probably wants them to know that. He just recently offered Darius Garland and word is that he told Immanuel Quickley that he had until the end of July to commit to UK or UK was moving on. I can't confirm that's true because I try to stay away from UK recruiting, but that word it out there.

It is pretty obvious that Mathis is the No. 1 SG target for RU, if he wasn't Coach wouldn't have traveled to Tavares, Florida. I live in Florida and don't want to travel to Tavares

Reactions: Zak57
Oh please, Calipari doesn't care if one five-star kid knows he is recruiting another five-star kid at the same position. In fact he probably wants them to know that. He just recently offered Darius Garland and word is that he told Immanuel Quickley that he had until the end of July to commit to UK or UK was moving on. I can't confirm that's true because I try to stay away from UK recruiting, but that word it out there.

It is pretty obvious that Mathis is the No. 1 SG target for RU, if he wasn't Coach wouldn't have traveled to Tavares, Florida. I live in Florida and don't want to travel to Tavares

Maybe not Calipari. I don't following basketball recruiting close enough to know. Maybe it's that 2nd tier of teams that like to be more secretive? Not top name coaches everyone wants to play for, but well respected and play that game

I would say mid major guys known for plucking diamonds in the rough don't want the information out there. If a high major catches wind of them watching a kid... they might swoop in for a steal.

I would say mid major guys known for plucking diamonds in the rough don't want the information out there. If a high major catches wind of them watching a kid... they might swoop in for a steal.
And programs at the bottom of HM conferences do this as well.

Reactions: Scangg and cyrock3
Russ, compared to the previous staff,on a scale of one through ten,how would you rate the new staff in regards to effort and willingness of players,high school coaches,AAU coaches, and parents to at least put Rutgers on their radar? Thanks for any comments.
They need to land some kids and win some games before we can rate this staff I would think.

On following Twitter it looks like Rutgers compared to the other schools that they are at seemingly all of his AAU games.

While Mathis isn't local...if he ends up at Uconn or Va Tech then I fear this board will implode in a Lance Thomas 2.0 type way. Can't remember one particular recruit so much time, investment, and hope is being placed into by coaches and fans alike. Here is hoping to things being different for once.

While Mathis isn't local...if he ends up at Uconn or Va Tech then I fear this board will implode in a Lance Thomas 2.0 type way. Can't remember one particular recruit so much time, investment, and hope is being placed into by coaches and fans alike. Here is hoping to things being different for once.
In recruiting there always must be backup options at the same level as your first choice or there will be deep disappointment if a recruit like Mathis chooses another school.

In recruiting there always must be backup options at the same level as your first choice or there will be deep disappointment if a recruit like Mathis chooses another school.
This is true, but so many posters are now emotionally attached to Mathis that if he doesn't commit to Rutgers there will probably be deep disappointment bordering on mini melton

This is true, but so many posters are now emotionally attached to Mathis that if he doesn't commit to Rutgers there will probably be deep disappointment bordering on mini melton
I'm sure you can understand why the board may react that way.

Many posters are now emotionally attached to Mathis.
It's because we're dying for a kid like this to come here, and when we actually have a legitimate chance of getting him, the rug gets pulled out from under us. It's like clockwork.

It's because we're dying for a kid like this to come here, and when we actually have a legitimate chance of getting him, the rug gets pulled out from under us. It's like clockwork.
I believe we're saying the same thing here. Emotionally attached and dying for a kid like this to come to Rutgers are one in the same; to me at least.

The recruitment is not over, the rug hasn't been pulled yet and Rutgers still has a chance. Not much has changed really. It's not like UCONN offered yesterday and became his leader.

There will be home visits, school visits and official visits.

Good luck.

I believe we're saying the same thing here. Emotionally attached and dying for a kid like this to come to Rutgers are one in the same; to me at least.

The recruitment is not over, the rug hasn't been pulled yet and Rutgers still has a chance. Not much has changed really. It's not like UCONN offered yesterday and became his leader.

There will be home visits, school visits and official visits.

Good luck.

This is interesting so it sounds like UConn was really leading the whole time here...I think fans were lead to believe Rutgers was in the drivers seat here vs. being one of his finalists.

This is interesting so it sounds like UConn was really leading the whole time here...I think fans were lead to believe Rutgers was in the drivers seat here vs. being one of his finalists.
Talking with Mathis on Friday, I definitely got the impression that it was Rutgers, Connecticut and Va Tech in that order.

It appears that Rich has a source(s) who has/have told him UCONN is the likely destination.

A lot of "who leads" depends on who you get that info from. I'm not covering Mathis' recruitment closely (I've never talk to his parents, high school or AAU coach) so Rich probably has better Intel on this than I do.

Reactions: Scangg and RM60
Well that would not be fun... seems Pike is putting a lot of eggs in the Mathis basket. Fingers crossed.

I stated this in football and it applies in basketball......fans deem recruiting success based on how long they have heard about the prospect and any information associated with the prospect, more than the actual ability or skill-set of the prospect..... OR that the most reported or highly recruited player by the staff is always the best/preferred target, which is an assumption that more often is wrong vs right.

RU landed a quality Big man recruit back in the spring but because he arrived on the RU publicity scene late and was not known about, he's treated as a non-issue or nothing is expected of him. ....it's not the same, but the concept fans here have is they are more concerned with what coaches are recruiting what players, so they can claim winning the press conference of recruiting during the offseason, more than the actual games itself....

There is zero and truly zero concern about the quality of the staff and ability to land or scout/locate talent....what some historical RU fans are going to rehash were the misses in past years that were the most popular local recruit, and apply it here, which would be a stretch. We experienced this last spring, with Jose Alvarado, who was more popular and deemed local "must have" recruit at PG.....on the other hand Geo Baker was not considered local and is bigger/taller and more athletic scorer than Alvarado is and can eventually play some PG for the program. You win some and you don't, but the reality is I would not trade Baker for Alvarado straight up, since he can play both guard positions....in this case, the question is can McClung or the other guard we land ( if it's not Mathis), be a true B1G guard with the size necessary in this league.....assuredly it is still yes, whether it's the most known about or reported on recruit or not.

Russ, hey speaking of Tavares, Florida, I just found video footage of you and Coack Pikiell from the early 90s watching a big man in a gym with no air conditioning way down in Algiers, Louisiana... check it out! Here's a pic of you guys, and a link to the vid:

algiers.jpg

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Bigs, bigs, and more bigs.

Doucoure is nice and highly ranked, sure. 3/4 star depending on where you look.

Myles, on the other hand, is a complete question mark.

And outside of that we don't have anybody.

Myles Johnson is a known quantity. Plays with a good head on his shoulders, passes at the right moments, has a great feel around the basketball, and will continue to develop an outside shot. Not a player that fits the typical "Bigs take a while to develop mold." He will be contributing by midway this year.

Myles Johnson is a known quantity. Plays with a good head on his shoulders, passes at the right moments, has a great feel around the basketball, and will continue to develop an outside shot. Not a player that fits the typical "Bigs take a while to develop mold." He will be contributing by midway this year.

We know he's an incredible smart and hard working kid (4.0 GPA). We know very little about the development of his game at the 4/5. A couple years ago, he was a 6'4-6'5 G/SF. He missed his entire junior season. He needs a lot of work to turn his body into a productive one. Mind you, that means he isn't even close to reaching his potential (which is good, considering he doesn't look that bad even now), but he is indeed a complete question mark as a center.

We know he's an incredible smart and hard working kid (4.0 GPA). We know very little about the development of his game at the 4/5. A couple years ago, he was a 6'4-6'5 G/SF. He missed his entire junior season. He needs a lot of work to turn his body into a productive one. Mind you, that means he isn't even close to reaching his potential (which is good, considering he doesn't look that bad even now), but he is indeed a complete question mark as a center.

Have you watched any tape on him? You love to see players that are bigs that were once guards. It means they come with an atypical skill set. He has a couple months to get his body weight down. I have watched at least a half hour over the past months and I do not see him as a project. Great get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT