ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Pikiell is...

Russ Wood

All American
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
...in Florida watching Montez Mathis. No other head coaches at the game.

I'm sitting next to him, he's my new bestie lol

20170720_124035_zps54cv65xt.jpg

Russ, compared to the previous staff,on a scale of one through ten,how would you rate the new staff in regards to effort and willingness of players,high school coaches,AAU coaches, and parents to at least put Rutgers on their radar? Thanks for any comments.

Rutgers has to be either leading Mathis's recruitment, or #2.

I think the program is #1.Biases accepted.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
...in Florida watching Montez Mathis. No other head coaches at the game.

I'm sitting next to him, he's my new bestie lol

20170720_124035_zps54cv65xt.jpg

In terms of these players knowing the coaches on hand, how does it normally work.....do they scan the sideline to see who's there, do their coaches tell them or maybe.....they introduce all the coaches to the crowd....j/k on that last one.

In terms of these players knowing the coaches on hand, how does it normally work.....do they scan the sideline to see who's there, do their coaches tell them or maybe.....they introduce all the coaches to the crowd....j/k on that last one.
The coaches do a good job of making themselves visible. Pike was sitting on the baseline in the middle of the court. He was hard to miss.

Kids look around to see who is watching them.

Russ, compared to the previous staff,on a scale of one through ten,how would you rate the new staff in regards to effort and willingness of players,high school coaches,AAU coaches, and parents to at least put Rutgers on their radar? Thanks for any comments.
I never saw Eddie Jordan at any event I attended but I seldom went to Nike EYBL Tournaments.

I saw Van Macon in Florida. I saw Shoes also but I didn't know who he was so I never spoke to him.

Pike has a better staff of recruiters than Eddie had. It's just that simple. I'm sure Eddie's staff was out as much as Pike's staff. Pike's staff is just better at the visibility part and identifying kids they have a chance to get.

Russ - who are the players of note on those squads? Interesting it's a California team, wonder if it has ties to the Cal Poly area where Myles Johnson is from...

Coach is not to be out worked. I really hope he gets rewarded for all the effort and time he has put in for Montez. He certainly has done everything he could

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Btw, some coaching staffs don't want everyone knowing who they are out watching. I've Tweeted about some schools & who they were watching and then received a text from a coach asking me to delete the Tweet.

It's possible that Eddie Jordan ran his program like that

The coaches do a good job of making themselves visible. Pike was sitting on the baseline in the middle of the court. He was hard to miss.

Kids look around to see who is watching them.

So if Mathis was shooting a foul shot, he was directly facing Pikiell. That's great.

Coach is probably beat! Up in NJ for workouts on Monday and Tuesday with our guys...then right back on the road for the rest of the week.

Same for the entire staff...most of them will be in at least 4 cities this week alone.
Does RU have a private plane for him to use or is he flying commercial?

Russ - who are the players of note on those squads? Interesting it's a California team, wonder if it has ties to the Cal Poly area where Myles Johnson is from...
SoCal team with lots of size. Connecticut, Villanova, Navy & Boston College all had coaches watching the game. Mostly for Mass Rivals (Boston) players

I think a decent comparison would be Mike Williams. Scrappy guard who is willing to defend, has a decent shot, can rebound, and makes tough shots.

Mathis is more athletic than Williams, but both have that gritty style of play. No showboating, just showcasing. Humble kids.

Reactions: bowlgoal
Ok. So let's say we get Maclung and Mathis and i would be very happy if that happened? Carey would be outstanding but stay with me on a this for 2018 and then 2019. I'm excited about this season but I'm looking ahead because I think we have a coach who will land some of these kids. This

2018- Baker, Kiss, Maclung, Mathis, Mensah
Doucoure, Johnson, Thiam, Doorsan, Omuyuri

I know I'm missing a player but that's a 10 man rotation and we could add at least two more kids.

2019- we lose Mensah and Doorsan so there's at least 2 or possibly 3 spots open for 2019.

Who do we want the most to o fill out the other spots to take is to the next level.

Bigs, bigs, and more bigs.

Doucoure is nice and highly ranked, sure. 3/4 star depending on where you look.

Myles, on the other hand, is a complete question mark.

And outside of that we don't have anybody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT