ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Schiano

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
Schiano is probably one of the best college coaches there is, and surprisingly he is available. When you think of how far he took Rutgers and the number of bowl games RU went to under his watch plus his NFL head coach experience and now being the DC at the school with one of the best defenses in the country, I am surprised that a team doesn't grab him fast to be their head coach.

Did he not turn down a G5 job in FLA last year? Can't recall the school.

He will take a job when he feels it is best for him and his family, until then he will hang out and coach with his buddy. He has that option! Not many do.

It is important for him to get a HC job sooner than later, or his options will become limited.

Schiano is probably one of the best college coaches there is, and surprisingly he is available. When you think of how far he took Rutgers and the number of bowl games RU went to under his watch plus his NFL head coach experience and now being the DC at the school with one of the best defenses in the country, I am surprised that a team doesn't grab him fast to be their head coach.

head coach or coach?

In an article I read HCUM said he likes to get at least two years commitment from his coaches before they move on. Schiano has only been on for a year. I am sure he does not want to burn a bridge with UM. He will probably stay at OSU until next year unless he gets offered some ridiculous amount of money to move.

We are all waiting with baited breath to see if he makes his homecoming next year to the banks on the enemy's side.

Schiano's problem is that he believes he's worth more than he actually is. He wants a high level power 5 job, but they don't want him. He interviewed for a number of them last year and Oregon this year. But he doesn't want a lower level P5 job or even lower. At some point, he's going to have to realize this and take a job like USF or Temple.

Les Miles' coaching resume puts Schiano's to shame. He has a national championship under his belt, and he's still available, too. Schiano's not in the Saban/Meyer/Harbaugh tier of coaches. He's probably not in the next tier, either. I'd put him in the tier after that. He's better than average, but not cream of the crop, and no sure thing to take over a program and raise it to an elite level.

Schiano's problem is that he believes he's worth more than he actually is. He wants a high level power 5 job, but they don't want him. He interviewed for a number of them last year and Oregon this year. But he doesn't want a lower level P5 job or even lower. At some point, he's going to have to realize this and take a job like USF or Temple.

To be fair, I wouldn't want one of those jobs if I was him either. USA Today says he is making 600K that year, but that counts against his offset from what the Bucs still owe him. If Ohio State wins another national championship this offseason, he will be a big candidate next year.

Les Miles' coaching resume puts Schiano's to shame. He has a national championship under his belt, and he's still available, too. Schiano's not in the Saban/Meyer/Harbaugh tier of coaches. He's probably not in the next tier, either. I'd put him in the tier after that. He's better than average, but not cream of the crop, and no sure thing to take over a program and raise it to an elite level.

Schiano almost got to the bcs title game with RUTGERS! Are you guys ok or what? Do you know what his teams would look like with LSU talent? Last time he had talent like that was at Miami and he DID win the national title. He has that type of talent again at osu and whataya know... in the running for another title.

You are assuming quite a lot. Do you know what type of money the Bucs have been paying schiano to not be coaching?
You are partially right about some schools don't want him though - but that's basically because there is a huge youth movement in coaching these days and you have to be relatable to a soft generation of spoiled athletes.

Schiano almost got to the bcs title game with RUTGERS! Are you guys ok or what? Do you know what his teams would look like with LSU talent? Last time he had talent like that was at Miami and he DID win the national title. He has that type of talent again at osu and whataya know... in the running for another title.

When was this?

Reactions: drewbagel423
index.php

UCF wasn't going to offer another another Defense First Pro Set style coach after having O'leary for so long.

That was spin/lies from the Schiano camp when he expected an offer & it didn't happen.

Reactions: rucoe89 and vkj91
Threads like these do less to convince me that Schiano is a great coach and more to remind me just how horrible the relationship is between the state of New Jersey and it's flagship state university's sports program.

We did get a bit of buzz one week as a dark horse candidate for the title game (which was awesome, by the way), but that was it. We only beat one ranked team that year, and it took a penalty and a rekick by Ito to do it. And we never got close to being that good again under Schiano. And, yes, he's a good defensive coach, but when you're the head coach, you get judged on wins and losses. That was the only season Schiano had double-digit victories. Les Miles, on the other hand, has seven such seasons and he's still available, too. Sure, you can say that Miles was working with SEC level talent. But then, by the same token, he also had to face SEC level talent to compile those records, while Schiano was facing a weakened Big East schedule.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there stories during his tenure how he turned down overtures from other P5 programs including Michigan of all places? Not to mention, he can probably count on Belichick and Meyer for solid coaching references.

Last edited:
Reactions: scottsdaleal

Where was the Oregon interview reported?

You are assuming quite a lot. Do you know what type of money the Bucs have been paying schiano to not be coaching?
You are partially right about some schools don't want him though - but that's basically because there is a huge youth movement in coaching these days and you have to be relatable to a soft generation of spoiled athletes.
The Bucs have been paying him a lot of money but he clearly wants a head coaching job given the interviews he's been on. Don't get me wrong - I like Schiano. But I think he needs to temper his expectations. He's not going to get a HC job at a Texas, nor should he settle for a low level job. He has to target something like a Pitt or NC State. If not a low to mid level P5 job, something like USF would be good for him.

Listen, I was A big fan of him, and still am, but one of the best coaches in college football? Seriously?

Sciano is thought better of outside of the twisted minds of Rutgers fans. Some truly great coaches (Meyer and Belicheck) think he is a very good coach, and their opinion trumps anyone on this board. Obviously. He got a shot at an NFL coaching job and that means something. You don't get a chance to coach in the NFL if you're just a chump. He didn't do well down there (not miserably so) but the guy who followed him did a lot worse, and the guy who followed him had lots more NFL HC experience, and is now a HC at a B10 school. Don't have to remind anyone what he did for Rutgers or at UM.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Schiano is waiting for Notre Dame.

He won't get it... but he's still waiting. Until then he'll collect NC rings with HCUM.

What's your point? You obviously know I'm talking about 2006 where we were a hangover and a couple plays away from an undefeated season.

I think that is his point. Schiano got Rutgers ranked 16; he did not almost get Rutgers to the BCS Title Game. Teams that almost got to the BCS Title Game might have had a few plays go wrong and lose against top competition, but they didn't have WTF hangover losses against low-level teams.

2006 was a great year. But we were ranked 16, not 3.

It was a BCS berth, not the title game, but the rest of his point still stands. I know the folks on here love to hate on Greg, but the man is a hell of a football coach.

Some Hate him some Love him. The reality is somewhere in between. He did a Great job building this program - he was a below average game-day coach, especially when it came to halftime adjustments. But hey, I'd put him in the RU FB Hall of Fame.

Reactions: PaKnight
Sciano is thought better of outside of the twisted minds of Rutgers fans. Some truly great coaches (Meyer and Belicheck) think he is a very good coach, and their opinion trumps anyone on this board. Obviously. He got a shot at an NFL coaching job and that means something. You don't get a chance to coach in the NFL if you're just a chump. He didn't do well down there (not miserably so) but the guy who followed him did a lot worse, and the guy who followed him had lots more NFL HC experience, and is now a HC at a B10 school. Don't have to remind anyone what he did for Rutgers or at UM.

Do they really think he's a good coach or is he just a friend of theirs who's a decent coach? Their actions support both conclusions.

What's your point? You obviously know I'm talking about 2006 where we were a hangover and a couple plays away from an undefeated season. You guys want to shit on our best team now too? All because of some weird hatred towards the man who raised you...
daddy issues for many Rutgers fans

While I agree Schiano did a great job building Rutgers program, the hangover game and losing to WVU were 2 major negatives during his career at Rutgers. Not just in 2006 but all 11 years. He never once beat WVU and there were more than a few let down games to inferior opponents after big wins or at inopportune times.The great coaches find a way to win those games more often than not.

Hey, I was a major fan of GS the CEO, but a major hater of GS the game day coach. But GS towards the end he made a few bone headed hires (OC) and had one or two WTX! blowout games a year.

He told the nation, IT CAN BE DONE AT RU. But maybe he is just another one of those, "Great coordinator, below avg HC."'

Yet, Bellichick failed at Cleveland, and now is better than Lombardi.

In an article I read HCUM said he likes to get at least two years commitment from his coaches before they move on. Schiano has only been on for a year. I am sure he does not want to burn a bridge with UM. He will probably stay at OSU until next year unless he gets offered some ridiculous amount of money to move.
Generally true, it was the case with Ash and Herman. I don't think this was the case with Schiano. See here: http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Bolt/Did-Schiano-give-Meyer-2-year-commitment-49443956

Why? Well, combing back through interviews from earlier this year, Schiano was asked in the spring if he did in fact have some type of handshake deal with Meyer to stay at Ohio State for at least two seasons.

While he didn't flat out say no, here is what Schiano did say:

"I don't know anything about that," Schiano said.
I think this is the truth:
My take? Meyer and Schiano had a one-year agreement, with the caveat that Schiano would not leave OSU after just one season unless a good power-5 job came knocking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT