ADVERTISEMENT

College Football News Picks us to go 3-9

Maryland is 7-5, and I can't argue with any of their game-by-game predictions. Ugly back end: starting out 6-0, then going 1-5.

Not sure why they are so hard on your team...

ETA: game-by-game, none of their picks are unreasonable. I just don't see Rutgers finishing with only 3 wins, though. It doesn't pass the look test.

Last edited:
So, basically, no one improves and everyone regresses significantly from a year ago? And the portal guys we brought in are all busts?

Reactions: cshelley
I had posted that in another thread some time ago to point out the disparity in opinion for 2024 wins. Personally, I think the schedule is difficult but not quite as tough in years past. I believe the Vegas over/under on wins for RU is 6.5. While I will hope for more wins, I think that on paper that is reasonable in the 6-7 win range. An 8 win regular season would be fantastic imo.

3-9 ????? 🤬 WTF? i don't think we have toooo high of expectations, but this looks more like they ran out of time doing the list and said "screw it" ... Loss, Loss, etc.... not unreasonable to be .500 or better. Just need to prove them wrong

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

We know we can put together a 7 minute, methodical 80 yard drive with the best running back in the league.
But we have not proven we can go 80 yards in 2 minutes with no timeouts where we have to throw the ball…

We also have to keep our defense off the field so we aren’t drop dead tired in 4th quarter.
I don’t care how good our defense is, 3 and outs will wear it down and there’s nothing to combat it.

Talent level rising, experience, and my man Al’s favorite quote, “I expect” all mean nothing… You have to prove it on the field.

Last edited:
We know we can put together a 7 minute, methodical 80 yard drive with the best running back in the league.
But we have not proven we can go yards in 2 minutes with no timeouts where we have to throw the ball…

We also have to keep our defense off the field so we aren’t drop dead tired in 4th quarter.
I don’t care how good our defense is, 3 and outs will wear it down and there’s nothing to combat it
Is there nothing? A new QB and likely 2 new starting WR's along with an deeper position room. It seems to me we don't know how it will play out.

Is there nothing? A new QB and likely 2 new starting WR's along with a deeper position room. It seems to me we don't know how it will play out.
No there’s not nothing Knighty!
They have to prove it to themselves and us.
Everyone will know when the situation arises, we will either be confident or we won’t.

Found this article from April that predicts us only beating Howard, Akron and Illinois. Don't know if this has been posted before but I think it's surprising.

Who cares about predictions ? Good or bad they mean nothing. Too many on here celebrate or melt depending on someone’s prediction as if they have some magical power over our team.

Found this article from April that predicts us only beating Howard, Akron and Illinois. Don't know if this has been posted before but I think it's surprising.

According to this, we're going to lose all five road games, all three games to West Coast teams, and lose to both Minnesota and Wisconsin at home. I find that hard to believe. But, as @RUbacker says, we shouldn't treat projections like this as having power.

Reactions: RUbacker
From the looks of it, we are going to have a solid defense and running game. The question is can we have a serviceable passing game? That’s the 64k question! If we can have a semblance of a passing game we will be cooking with gas!

Don't care. Predictions are all BS. Doesn't mean they are wrong (or right). Just means it's all guesswork until we play the games. So who cares.

Reactions: RUbacker
But we have not proven we can go 80 yards in 2 minutes with no timeouts where we have to throw the ball…

I don’t care how good our defense is, 3 and outs will wear it down and there’s nothing to combat it.

Talent level rising, experience, and my man Al’s favorite quote, “I expect” all mean nothing… You have to prove it on the field.
Agreed - that's how I view these sorts of things. I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic. Just waiting to see what happens.

I don't care what anybody predicts. We have to start playing games in order to get an idea of where we're at. And our competitors aren't sitting around doing nothing - they're all working hard to improve too. Just because we might improve in some areas doesn't mean they won't improve more.

That's all true every season. But it's especially true after a QB change.

Will our new QB be like final year Nova, winning games with his arm? Or more like TurNova, costing games with dumb interceptions forced into coverage? Will we still not be able to pass very effectively and start to miss our old QB's ability to get first downs and TDs with his legs?

We won't know until we see how the OL, TE and WR groups do in games against real competition - until we play some games.

It will be a ghost town before the end of the season if we are trending towards 3-9
Hm... I'm not so sure about that. I think people will be coming onto the forum just to argue about the QB change and complain about everything.

Look at how game threads work. When the team is playing well, the new post rate in game threads is relatively slow. When the team is screwing the pooch, the new post rate skyrockets with page after page of negative posts.

Not sure if this is true everywhere, but here on our RU Rivals board, people clearly like to be miserable more than they like to celebrate. I find this to be an inexplicable yet remarkably consistent behavior here.

This same POS rag predicted Rutgers to only have 4 wins last season. And they were predicting an easy opening win for Northwestern. F Them. Don’t waste your time clicking on their BS link.

Reactions: redking and Kbee3
Rutgers has to prove itself a winner for more then just one season before " so-called" college football experts automatically pick RU to be a winner in their pre-season predictions.
Give it a couple of years before complaining about a forecast of a terrible season coming up and ( as a wise Tony liked to point out) "FOCUS" on finding the good predictions that have RU looking like it will be a big winner in 2024 and go with that .

No there’s not nothing Knighty!
They have to prove it to themselves and us.
Everyone will know when the situation arises, we will either be confident or we won’t.
I'll add much more experience at almost every position except TE and CB.

I think you'll see run, run, and run for at least the 1st two games. After tha, we shall see.

Thinking today about Yog and all those young men who who faced pure Hell and didn't back off till the job was done 80 years ago..

Reactions: zappaa
"It's just one of your balls, Smitty. You can live without it. That's why God gave you two."
Link: Big Red One
I'm gonna hang onto mine as long as possible, thanks. 🙂

I've had the "two is one, one is none" philosophy beaten into me most of my life and experience has made me a firm disciple of that school of thought. It very much applies here.

Reactions: RUPete
Last year about this time I was advising caution in expecting a bowl season and I thought 3-9 was entirely possible. And we had many close games where we came out on top.. where we easily came of come out on the wrong end.

Will that happen this season? No one knows. But I do feel comfortable saying that Schiano's coaching and player development system should prevent that. That is, everything I have seen said by coaches and players seems to indicate they work their asses off and demand a lot of themselves and each other. THAT alone should prevent 3-9.

Add in what I expect to be more consistent QB play and WR and passing improvements and I'd think we'd move toward those close wins becoming more comfortable wins rather than close losses.

I'd guess 6-6 to be the bottom end and 10-2 the top end.. but 12-0 sounds great. I mention the 6-6 because of NIL.. who knows what magic our opponents might be able to pull off with their moves. It is all a mystery until the games behind playing out.

Last year about this time I was advising caution in expecting a bowl season and I thought 3-9 was entirely possible. And we had many close games where we came out on top.. where we easily came of come out on the wrong end.

Will that happen this season? No one knows. But I do feel comfortable saying that Schiano's coaching and player development system should prevent that. That is, everything I have seen said by coaches and players seems to indicate they work their asses off and demand a lot of themselves and each other. THAT alone should prevent 3-9.

Add in what I expect to be more consistent QB play and WR and passing improvements and I'd think we'd move toward those close wins becoming more comfortable wins rather than close losses.

I'd guess 6-6 to be the bottom end and 10-2 the top end.. but 12-0 sounds great. I mention the 6-6 because of NIL.. who knows what magic our opponents might be able to pull off with their moves. It is all a mystery until the games behind playing out.

Actually - not really. Wasn’t Michigan State really our only “close” win. The Miami game was next closest and that one was in no way as close as the final score dictates. Outcome never in doubt. It was not a 50/50 game.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze

We really don't what we have at QB. We will find out against VTech.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT