ADVERTISEMENT

College Football News Picks us to go 3-9

There's a world where 3 wins happens - I just don't see it as particularly probable. Obviously any injuries to Monangai, Powell (or slow recovery here), Longerbeam, Flip or the FSU xfer would be an issue. I could see 3 wins if the OL regresses and we are worse at the TE spot without Langan (who knows if Fletcher will transition over well first year at it). If AK is awful with turnovers we wont win many either. If the DL doesn't get to the QB this year that's another issue- but we weren't great at that last year anyway and made a bowl.

I’m generally more of a “realist” when it comes to win totals, but 3 is off the map bearish. That would be a total disaster. I think the realistic range is 5-7 wins. Anything less than 5 is a major disappointment and more than 7 is a great success.

I’m generally more of a “realist” when it comes to win totals, but 3 is off the map bearish. That would be a total disaster. I think the realistic range is 5-7 wins. Anything less than 5 is a major disappointment and more than 7 is a great success.

Reasonable post.

My prediction for Rutgers is 4 to 6 wins. It will be an interesting season this year in the NEW B1G.

Some of the lower ranked teams as well as the traditional Top Ranked Big Teams will have to make way for the Newbies.

2023 Newbie Football Records:

Washington: 14-1
Oregon: 12-2
USC: 8-5
UCLA: 8-5

For them to continue to win will require some original B1G teams to lose more.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: CyTheRutgersGuy
Reasonable post.

My prediction for Rutgers is 4 to 6 wins. It will be an interesting season this year in the NEW B1G.

Some of the lower ranked teams as well as the traditional Top Ranked Big Teams will have to make way for the Newbies.

2023 Newbie Football Records:

Washington: 14-1
Oregon: 12-2
USC: 8-5
UCLA: 8-5

For them to continue to win will require some original B1G teams to lose more.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Some of the newcomers are projected to be good next year, but there isn’t much to take away from UCLA’s 8-5 record, other than that they beat USC. They played the easiest possible schedule to get to 7 conference wins as they didn’t have to face Washington or Oregon. For what it’s worth, I think we would’ve won at least 7 last year with their schedule too. Maybe we would’ve lost the USC game but we also probably don’t lose to Arizona State or Cal.

Some of the newcomers are projected to be good next year, but there isn’t much to take away from UCLA’s 8-5 record, other than that they beat USC. They played the easiest possible schedule to get to 7 conference wins as they didn’t have to face Washington or Oregon. For what it’s worth, I think we would’ve won at least 7 last year with their schedule too. Maybe we would’ve lost the USC game but we also probably don’t lose to Arizona State or Cal.
Cal was thrilled to beat UCLA last year -- not only because they are traditional rivals (both being part of the University of California) but also as payback for UCLA's decision to bolt the Pac-12 for the Big ten. Because the two teams are no longer part of the same conference (Cal now being in the ACC, as everyone knows), they probably won't be playing each other regularly any more. (Note that UCLA will be paying Cal $10 million in "Calimony" yearly to compensate for the damage done to Cal by UCLA's decision.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Found this article from April that predicts us only beating Howard, Akron and Illinois. Don't know if this has been posted before but I think it's surprising.

I think that the 2nd half of September will give us a great view of how this season will turn out. If we lose to both VT and Washington then it will be a disappointing season.. If we go 2-0 then we'll have a good chance of getting 7 or more wins.

Reactions: CyTheRutgersGuy
I think that the 2nd half of September will give us a great view of how this season will turn out. If we lose to both VT and Washington then it will be a disappointing season.. If we go 2-0 then we'll have a good chance of getting 7 or more wins.
Washington went 14-1 last year. A lot of its games were close and I realize they've lost a lot of talent and that the game is here -- but IMHO there's still a chance for a good season even if we lose that game.

I don't think it is possible to only win 3 games. I think it is possible to win only 5 games, but that is if a lot of things go wrong. I think Virginia Tech is going to be a tough game with Drones having a season under his belt and it being played at their place.

I have to assume they told one of their reporters to create this win/loss list for all of college football.

But, clearly, that reporter didn't have time or was too lazy so they took the list they created 20 years ago and just used that instead.

I have to assume they told one of their reporters to create this win/loss list for all of college football.

But, clearly, that reporter didn't have time or was too lazy so they took the list they created 20 years ago and just used that instead.
BTW, I *hate* their formatting -- there's no easy way to move from one school to another.

Washington went 14-1 last year. A lot of its games were close and I realize they've lost a lot of talent and that the game is here -- but IMHO there's still a chance for a good season even if we lose that game.
Keep in mind they lost 85% of their starters as well as the coaching staff. If they are a solid team next year, it's a miracle. In that same mindset, Rutgers won 7 games and returns 3/4 of the starters while adding key pieces. People should be concerned with what we can do next year. I wish people would stop judging teams by the name on the front of the jersey.

Last edited:
Reactions: GillesDeleuze
They predicted that we would go 4-8 last year. Let's hope they keep up the good work...
Last year’s forecast made more sense at the time. VTech played their game with a depleted roster. We were actually favored to win that one on gameday vs. the forecast. Similarly NW and Mich state had scandals going on when we played them that impacted the odds in our favor. Mich State also turned out worse than expected. I think it was at least reasonable for someone to forecast 1-2 in that group of games with losses to everyone else.

To predict we’re only going to win one game from Illinois, Minny, Michigan State, Maryland and Nebraska and lose out otherwise seems very negative look

Cal was thrilled to beat UCLA last year -- not only because they are traditional rivals (both being part of the University of California) but also as payback for UCLA's decision to bolt the Pac-12 for the Big ten. Because the two teams are no longer part of the same conference (Cal now being in the ACC, as everyone knows), they probably won't be playing each other regularly any more. (Note that UCLA will be paying Cal $10 million in "Calimony" yearly to compensate for the damage done to Cal by UCLA's decision.)

UCLA will pay Cal $10 million for 3 years, totaling $30 million. A cheap price to pay for the Bruins for making it into the Big Ten.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Another good prediction:

T6. Virginia Tech 7-5 (4-4)
Why: The Hokies went 6-3 over the final nine games of last season thanks to the emergence of Kyron Drones at quarterback and are expected to carry some of that momentum into next season. Defensive end Antwaun Powell-Ryland's decision to return for his senior season is a huge boost for Virginia Tech's defense after he finished with a team-best 9.5 sacks last fall. We have the Hokies going 3-1 to start the season, with their lone loss coming at home against Rutgers in Week 4.

UCLA will pay Cal $10 million for 3 years, totaling $30 million. A cheap price to pay for the Bruins for making it into the Big Ten.
There is "an opportunity to revisit" in three years. So Calimony may last longer. (The UC President had proposed six years.) Keep in mind that UCLA has said that its expenses will increase by another $10 million annually as a result of the move to cover extra travel and academic support among other things. I'm sure UCLA will come out ahead financially, though. All the same, I think UCLA , USC, Oregon, and Washington will rue the day they committed to having their teams travel two and three time zones east (which is harder to go than west) for many road games.

Last edited:
Agree with the premise, but if we go 2-0 in those two, then my expectation is for at least 8 wins.

Reactions: Morrischiano
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT