ADVERTISEMENT

CONCACAF Gold Cup starts tonight

I can't imagine the USA team playing very inspired soccer this evening vs. Panama.

With nothing on the line Klinsman could run out a fairly inexperienced lineup. If nothing else, effort can be the one thing expected from the side. Effectiveness is another story but when you're in the position the USMNT is in there's no risk.

Mostly I think Klinsmann has to decide if he wants to rest key players or use the game as a developmental and evaluation session. I don't think it's possible to do both; at least not for the entire game.

He may still be working on tweaking team composition to get the chemistry right. But it's pointless to evaluate chemistry unless you have your prospective starting lineup in, other than the spot or two you're evaluating. Which means you really can't rest the players the entire game.

Chemistry affects and is affected by the system of play, strategy and tactical approach to the game. If Klinsmann feels he understands the team well enough, I guess we'll see him rest those he thinks need rest for most of the game.

But if he wants to develop and evaluate the team, I think we'll see a tale of two halves where the first half will be largely the prospective starters for the next round w/one or two players evaluated with that starting lineup. Then a second half where some players are rested and you look at how the backups are playing to help determine subs for the next round.

Well I confess I don't really understand what Klinsmann's intent was with the first half. I thought the intent was simply to rest some starters. But I think we're seeing most of the starters in the second half. So - yeah, no idea what the plan was.

Probably a topic for another day but Kinsman ' s style is fun to watch. The US needed a coach like this.

Well I confess I don't really understand what Klinsmann's intent was with the first half. I thought the intent was simply to rest some starters. But I think we're seeing most of the starters in the second half. So - yeah, no idea what the plan was.

I think the plan was to rest starters and WIN anyway.. but.. that first half was ridiculous.. bad

Another really bad first half, especially the goal, where both defenders were completely exposed. Gave the ball away too much and just couldn't string passes together. Second half started off poorly, too, but then we scored that gorgeous goal in the 55th minute on a beautiful pass from Bedoya across the box to a streaking Bradley, who poked it in nicely. We played much better most of the 2nd half. Now the real fun begins in the knockout stage. If we don't play better, I could see someone upsetting us.

Zardes seems like a much better wing midfielder than a forward to me.
Not sure if he has the stamina to be effective as a wing midfielder as he'd have to track back defensively. His speed is his main asset and when used properly, can be a weapon. In the first half, he had to work with Wondo, not Dempsey or Altidore. That in itself limited his chances in the first half. When Dempsey came on, it seemed Zardes was playing up top by himself, and it seemed effective.

That was definitely an experimental lineup, though. Besides Wondo (who I never hope to see starting in a knockout game), Morales was supposed to play left midfield, but it seemed he was tucked in, sorta playing holding midfield, leaving attacking responsibilities on the left side to Fabian Johnson. Meanwhile Beckerman seemed to play further up the field than he normally does, leaving Bradley to pick the ball up further down than the field than usual.

I did not see the first half, sounds like a good thing for me. I think I heard it said that the roster can be changed before the knockout stages. I wonder if any switches will be made.

The Bradley goal was a beauty, for sure. The back line did make a few nice plays in the second half. Who steps into the starting lineup for Brooks in the quarters?

Looking ahead, the draw means we will face Guatemala next if they beat Cuba (unless Mexico also loses to Trinidad and Guatemala somehow makes up an eight goal differential vs Mexico... yeah, right....) Haiti is through to the bracket and will face the winner of group B (Jamaica, if they beat El Salvador tonight). Panama has to sweat it out and hope for help tonight or tomorrow to advance.

Watched most of the game. Seemed to get very chippy at points, especially in the latter part of the first half - and our guys were doing a lot of jawing to the ref. Felt like we came out of half thinking "we're not losing to these jokers" and were much more aggressive. The goal was very nicely done - and I liked Bradlye's business-like "good football" to his teammates afterwards.

Last night was not pretty. First half was atrocious. My understanding is that Klinsman wanted to give every player on the roster a chance to play in the group stages before planning his roster for knockout stages - which is why we saw Morales (and after that performance I don't need to see him again).

Chandler was a mess last night. I thought Beckerman was awful last night as well. They were both so careless on the ball. Brooks had a rough first half and then I thought played better.

Team overall looked better when they played more aggressively in the 2nd half. Adding Yedlin on the wing helped because he stays out wide. For some reason I don't like watching Bedoya, but he was effective when moved over to the left side in the second half.

Bedoya needs to be in the starting XI. Wondo needs to be taken off the roster in the next round. Alvarado is a mess. Gets beat like a drum by anyone with a pulse. Brooks not much better, but seemed to acquit himself better in the 2nd half. Beckerman seems out of sync or disinterested...isn't having the same type of influence on the game as he did during the friendlies leading up to the Gold Cup. But I'm not sure we have any better options for a DM. Wouldn't mind seeing a quarterfinals lineup of:

Back 4: Johnson - Ream - Davis - Yedlin
Midfield: Bedoya - Bradley - Beckerman - Corona
Forwards: Zardes - Dempsey

Bedoya needs to be in the starting XI. Wondo needs to be taken off the roster in the next round. Alvarado is a mess. Gets beat like a drum by anyone with a pulse. Brooks not much better, but seemed to acquit himself better in the 2nd half. Beckerman seems out of sync or disinterested...isn't having the same type of influence on the game as he did during the friendlies leading up to the Gold Cup. But I'm not sure we have any better options for a DM. Wouldn't mind seeing a quarterfinals lineup of:

Back 4: Johnson - Ream - Davis - Yedlin
Midfield: Bedoya - Bradley - Beckerman - Corona
Forwards: Zardes - Dempsey

Davis at CB? Mistake?

No thank you to Corona. Just doesn provide what Klinsy is looking for outside.

Zardes has looked better at RM for both the USMNT and Galaxy. Maybe he has a future at ST but I think that would be somewhere down the line.

I think Yedlin will strictly be used as a RM or RW from now on. I think both club (Spurs) and country (Klinsman) are in agreement that it best suits his skillset. I wouldn't mind seeing Fabian Johnson back to the right side and put Brek Shea at LB - I still have hopes for Shea and think there's a good player at LB there.

Not sure if there is an alternative solution at the DM spot - but Beckerman's performance is lacking right now. Where do we stand with Danny Williams? I don't remember how he played in the games against Netherlands and Germany (he might be hurt as well, I don't remember). But we need a better option to help protect our inconsistent (trying to be nice) back 4.

We didn't look very sharp in the win over Haiti or the draw with Panama, either. But the women didn't turn it up until the knockout round. Hopefully the men will too. Missed the first game.What does CONCACAF stand for anyway?

Lineup changes announced - Jozy, Garza and Morales are gone. In come Beasley (back from retirement), Gordon and Corona.

Lineup changes announced - Jozy, Garza and Morales are gone. In come Beasley (back from retirement), Gordon and Corona.

I was just going to ask what happened to Beasley - he was our best defender in the WC, IMO. Maybe we could bring back Reyna in the midfield, lol...

I think Yedlin will strictly be used as a RM or RW from now on. I think both club (Spurs) and country (Klinsman) are in agreement that it best suits his skillset. I wouldn't mind seeing Fabian Johnson back to the right side and put Brek Shea at LB - I still have hopes for Shea and think there's a good player at LB there.

Not sure if there is an alternative solution at the DM spot - but Beckerman's performance is lacking right now. Where do we stand with Danny Williams? I don't remember how he played in the games against Netherlands and Germany (he might be hurt as well, I don't remember). But we need a better option to help protect our inconsistent (trying to be nice) back 4.

There is a possibility Alvarado gets a look at CDM down the line.

Davis at CB? Mistake?

No thank you to Corona. Just doesn provide what Klinsy is looking for outside.

Zardes has looked better at RM for both the USMNT and Galaxy. Maybe he has a future at ST but I think that would be somewhere down the line.

With Brooks suspended for a match and Alvarado leaking like a sieve, what other options do we have at CB? Gonzalez? Besler?

I hope to hell that Wondo doesn't get a start. He's by far the worst player JK included on the entire provisional roster.

With Brooks suspended for a match and Alvarado leaking like a sieve, what other options do we have at CB? Gonzalez? Besler?

I hope to hell that Wondo doesn't get a start. He's by far the worst player JK included on the entire provisional roster.

Yeah but who is Davis and why would he play CB? Every time I see Wando my blood boils lol

I hope that Wondo gets relegated to a bench role where he only enters the game late if we need a goal. Think the remaining minutes up top will be divided by Dempsey, Johannssen and Zardes. At CB think we'll see Gonzalez and Ream on Saturday.

I hope that Wondo gets relegated to a bench role where he only enters the game late if we need a goal. Think the remaining minutes up top will be divided by Dempsey, Johannssen and Zardes. At CB think we'll see Gonzalez and Ream on Saturday.

That worked out real well for him in Germany...

Yeah but who is Davis and why would he play CB? Every time I see Wando my blood boils lol

My mistake. Brad Evans. Mixed him up with Brad Davis who was with the USMNT for a while.

The best place for Wondo is anywhere but the USMNT. No speed. No skill. No awareness. He's the USMNT version of Falcao.

Yeah, with Brooks out due to YC accumulation, that's almost a given, especially with how Alvarado played yesterday. Kind of shocked Besler wasn't brought in, but with Beasley & Corona, we've strengthened the wings, as Beasley will probably slot in at LB, allowing Fabian Johnson either play LW or replace Chandler at RB, while Corona & Bedoya get to play on the wings. Gordon is a bit of a head scratcher TBH. I realize he dropped Altidore, but Wonda fills the 'try hard' role, while I think we're better served having Johannsen, Zardes, & Dempsey up top.

Bought my tickets for the Final earlier today...hope I didn't jinx anything by doing so

Jamaica wins group B with their win tonight. They will face Haiti, and we would get the winner in the semifinals.

We didn't look very sharp in the win over Haiti or the draw with Panama, either. But the women didn't turn it up until the knockout round. Hopefully the men will too. Missed the first game.What does CONCACAF stand for anyway?

CONCACAF is the Confederation of North, Central American & Carribbean Association Football.

Well - I did not see any of the action tonight (and it continues as I type), but we have a big upset with Cuba beating Guatemala 1-0. So it is USA vs Cuba on Saturday in the quarterfinals! We better win that one, because I just bought two tickets for the semifinals in Atlanta next Wednesday night, and I would prefer not to watch Cuba vs Jamaica/Haiti!

And Mexico had a 2-0 lead in the 2nd half, but is now trailing 3-2 with only a few minutes left. Looks like Trinidad will win their group and face Panama, while it will be Mexico vs Costa Rica in the other quarterfinal.

Well - I did not see any of the action tonight (and it continues as I type), but we have a big upset with Cuba beating Guatemala 1-0. So it is USA vs Cuba on Saturday in the quarterfinals! We better win that one, because I just bought two tickets for the semifinals in Atlanta next Wednesday night, and I would prefer not to watch Cuba vs Jamaica/Haiti!

And Mexico had a 2-0 lead in the 2nd half, but is now trailing 3-2 with only a few minutes left. Looks like Trinidad will win their group and face Panama, while it will be Mexico vs Costa Rica in the other quarterfinal.
Nope. Mexico came back with two late goals to win.

That was poetic justice. Mexican fans were showering the T&T player taking the corner kick with trash and plastic bottles and he delivered a beauty that was headed in at the death.

Wow, just found the highlights online. Atrocious behavior by Mexico's fans. C'mon, Costa Rica, knock El Tri out on Sunday!

I'll be there on Saturday in Baltimore. Taking my daughter to a program in DC on Friday and we decided to stay in the city, catch the Nationals game on Friday night and the USMNT on Saturday on the way home.

The US could not have asked for a better side of the bracket. No reason we should not make the finals.

US vs. Cuba @ 5:30 on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT