ADVERTISEMENT

CONCACAF Gold Cup starts tonight

One thing that puzzles me is that the USMNT game in Baltimore probably had about 35,000 fans while the Mexico -Costa Rica game at Met Life was pretty much filled to capacity. I wish we would give our team more support.

One thing that puzzles me is that the USMNT game in Baltimore probably had about 35,000 fans while the Mexico -Costa Rica game at Met Life was pretty much filled to capacity. I wish we would give our team more support.

Not to mention that I think the tickets at MetLife were about double the cost of the tickets for Baltimore

Last Wednesday, I bought two tickets for the semifinals in Atlanta for around $50 each with the ticketmaster fees. After Mexico won, I looked at StubHub yesterday and they were reselling for $150+ apiece.

Last Wednesday, I bought two tickets for the semifinals in Atlanta for around $50 each with the ticketmaster fees. After Mexico won, I looked at StubHub yesterday and they were reselling for $150+ apiece.

All because of that bogus call by that official right at the end of the match.
Interesting.
My sympathies go out to the Costa Rican squad. You were robbed.

The US just played its worst 10 minutes in recent memory. Horrible defending on a frikkin' THROW-IN, with 2 US defenders allowing a free header by the Jamaican player - no chance for Guzan on that one. And then after several more give-aways, Guzan made a huge error by releasing the ball outside the box on a throw, which is a foul - Jamaica scored on the direct kick from just outside the box. We look shell-shocked now, after playing decently for the first 25 minutes or so. Not impossible to come back, but it's looking bleak.

Last edited:
HUGE GOAL BY BRADLEY. 2-1. Really needed an early 2nd half goal and we delivered, after a miscue by the keeper not holding on to Johansson's decent, but catchable shot.

Been applying intense pressure with some very close calls including Bradley's swerving rocket that went off the keeper's chest and then the post. But only 10 minutes or so left. Gotta score soon...

Well, that's all she wrote. Not our best effort. Too many mistakes. Zardes was bad tonight and Guzan made that dumb mistake with the foul leading to the 2nd goal. Shit.

Bad set piece D and not finishing opportunities. Typical U.S. problem.

Go Panama!

Guzan was trash. Alvarado was trash. Beckerman was invisible. Zardes ineffective. And JK had no better ideas than to bring in a striker with 2 caps and no chemistry with the rest of the team when Johannson was our most effective attacker? Hugely disappointing.

Guzan was trash. Alvarado was trash. Beckerman was invisible. Zardes ineffective. And JK had no better ideas than to bring in a striker with 2 caps and no chemistry with the rest of the team when Johannson was our most effective attacker? Hugely disappointing.
A little harsh but agree for the most part. Dempsey also needed to step up and didn't. Klinsmann made a bunch of questionable decisions not just this game but overall. If we won it all goes away but now you have to wonder...

Kind of a bizarre game. Jamaica hit two perfect shots and then defended really well. US came out guns ablazing in the second half but did not sustain. They did not do enough in the last half hour to earn the win.

Oh well. Happy for Kemar Lawrence.

Hope I can get face value back for my tickets to Sunday's final on stubhub! Yikes that was bad.

Reactions: RUsojo
Well, that's all she wrote. Not our best effort. Too many mistakes. Zardes was bad tonight and Guzan made that dumb mistake with the foul leading to the 2nd goal. Shit.
I didn't expect linear improvement from 2002 but I did kinda expect .... improvement.

This team sucks.

I think JK is a very good at program management and his approach to training is solid, but his gameday management (sound familiar?) - from roster makeup to tactics to substitutions is highly suspect.

Somehow Panama is beating Mexico, 1-0, in the 68th minute, despite being down a man for almost the whole game. They just scored on a header from Torres and are playing wonderfully, with only 10 men, while Mexico looks lost. If Panama wins under these circumstances, this would be an even more shocking loss than the US losing to Jamaica. I'd like to know who picked Jamaica-Panama for the final, lol.

While I've seen some crazy stuff over the years in travel soccer or high school games, I've never seen anything like this in an international soccer match. Wow.

While I've seen some crazy stuff over the years in travel soccer or high school games, I've never seen anything like this in an international soccer match. Wow.

That was crazy. Ref only allowed 6 mins stoppage time after the 10 min delay too.

That was crazy. Ref only allowed 6 mins stoppage time after the 10 min delay too.
Just got back home from the Dome about a half hour ago. I didn't want to keep my son out past midnight, as it turns out. Nice to meet you tonight, rutger80.

We were sitting right on the goal line where all three goals in our match were scored. The first one just rolling along the line... so close to staying out! I've never seen that call against Guzan made before, and it looked so borderline from where I sat, but dem's the breaks. Beautiful strike for the goal, at least, but we did that to ourselves. Bradley looked very dangerous at times but we could not finish. Brooks had a couple of brain fart moments where he turned the ball over for no reason, while we're piling up the question marks.

And now Mexico is again getting PK miracles handed to them to save their butts. Unbelievable.

Reactions: rutger80
Brain fart on your part, most of the delay happened in stoppage time. If the ref had added all that time back he would've been adding to the 90 minutes (I know I didn't explain it well, but the ref was right)

The Mexi Panama game was a disgrace. These Mexican and Central American fans are very low grade.

I was unsurprised to see us lose in the semi-final. Even against Cuba, despite the 6 goals, I thought we showed every sign of a team w/poor chemistry and lack of quality, particularly in the final third. I can't remember the last time I've seen a back four on an international team that were as bad as what Cuba fielded for that game. Most division one college teams would've scored several goals against that back four and porous midfield.

Whatever strategy Klinsmann wanted the team to follow in tonight's game went out the window after the two goals. We couldn't create enough good scoring chances, and couldn't finish the chances we had. A problem the entire tournament.

Jamaica executed a very well conceived game plan and made the best of their chances. They deserved the win.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Panama got robbed at the end. Clearly a foul on the Mexican player before Torres fell, so the ref shouldn't have even had to make a call for a PK - and on top of that, he made the wrong call on the PK, as that was incidental contact and didn't affect the play. Hate seeing refs deciding games in any sport, especially near the end and especially in soccer, where the ref's calls (on PK situations) have more impact than any other sport. Panama and Jamaica were the better teams tonight.

Panama got robbed at the end. Clearly a foul on the Mexican player before Torres fell, so the ref shouldn't have even had to make a call for a PK - and on top of that, he made the wrong call on the PK, as that was incidental contact and didn't affect the play. Hate seeing refs deciding games in any sport, especially near the end and especially in soccer, where the ref's calls (on PK situations) have more impact than any other sport. Panama and Jamaica were the better teams tonight.

I gotta tell ya that the guys I watched the Mexico game with thought the fix was in.
First Costa Rica.....then Panama .....last minute penalty shots called....that were not in any way warranted.
I don't normally put much into these type of comments, but it does seem kinda fortuitous that Mexico got calls that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in two straight matches. Thank goodness FIFA is a paragon of integrity. It's just Mexico's good fortune...I'm sure.

Thank goodness FIFA is a paragon of integrity.
A nice bit of sarcasm, that. [laughing]

I think the calls were very unfortunate and I can understand people struggling to accept the coincidence of the some very pivotal bad calls in back to back games.

C'mon man - this is not a FIFA tournament, this is CONCACAF - and THEIR integrity is unimpeachable!;)

This is also why US players in MLS (and in playing in weak tourn like this) will never reach the pinnacle...as they think this is a major tournament...even when your competition consists of:

Haiti
Jamaica
Cuba
Panama
Honduras

Then add another season for most playing in MLS?

That's not how you build a World Class team..

Reactions: Rokodesh
Agree with Knight_Light...JK is justified in trying to get the US players to go/stay overseas instead of playing in MLS.

Just read a couple of really good articles about what this Gold Cup says about JK's reign (a great one by Bill Connolly). And I think he deserves more time. I think that this was always about further evaluation of the players at his disposal. I think that we can finally say good bye for good to some of the older players on this roster: thankfully Wondo and Beckerman (who was awful throughout the Gold Cup) should be done. There are better players on the way who are better served working with the U-23's in Olympic Qualifying and will then be a part of the Senior team after Rio 2016. JK is in transition now and he is trying to keep this older group competitive while waiting for the younger guys to mature.

Very disappointed in the loss. I think a lot fell on Guzman, just a dumb play to go anywhere near the line and give up that free kick.. With Tim Howard we win that game.
Lots of offensive chance that resulted in not great shots to finish. While Dempsey had a great tournament, the others on the front line had a hard time finishing.
The playoff game against the winner is key - getting into the confederation cup is important for our WC chances.

I think very highly of Johannsen and think he's got a lot of upside for us. But, am I wrong in thinking that head ball he missed on the followup in the 2nd half was an easy gimme goal?
I know the commentators were talking alot about the Jamaican goalie holding the ball too long. What's the penalty if the ref would have called it at some point? I counted myself at home and he was going way past 6 seconds.
That being said, you can't keep having all these breakdowns in performance...especially on the defensive end and expect to win. The guy I'm usually the most nervous when I see him in on D (Chandler) didnt even play!

Brain fart on your part, most of the delay happened in stoppage time. If the ref had added all that time back he would've been adding to the 90 minutes (I know I didn't explain it well, but the ref was right)

Oh, right. At least I was able to sell my tickets!

I think very highly of Johannsen and think he's got a lot of upside for us. But, am I wrong in thinking that head ball he missed on the followup in the 2nd half was an easy gimme goal?
I know the commentators were talking alot about the Jamaican goalie holding the ball too long. What's the penalty if the ref would have called it at some point? I counted myself at home and he was going way past 6 seconds.
That being said, you can't keep having all these breakdowns in performance...especially on the defensive end and expect to win. The guy I'm usually the most nervous when I see him in on D (Chandler) didnt even play!
That's not something that's called very often. If the ref thinks the keeper is purposely delaying the game, the keeper will normally receive a warning (or two) before a ref would make that call. The penalty for violating the 6 second rule is an indirect free kick from the point in the penalty area where the keeper was when the call was made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT