ADVERTISEMENT

CONCACAF Gold Cup starts tonight

Fox Sports says 5 PM.
So does the email I received from M & T Bank stadium which announced the actual match ups.
I was suprised that the USA is in the first game. I imagine that Fox wanted it that way. Works out better for me since I'm driving back to NJ after the game.

Destroying Cuba right now, 3-0 after 32 minutes. We can name the score here. They're bad and we're playiing well. Nice header by Dempsey, easy redirect goal from about 6 yards out by Zardes, off a great pass, and a gorgeous chip by Johannson after getting behind the defense and after the goalie came out too far.

4-0 now. Cuba's terrible but we are very good going forward with Dempsey, Johannson, Zardes, Bradley, and Bedoya with Johnson and Chandler providing excellent services out wide. The only question mark remains our central defenders who haven't really been tested today.

Are they playing so much better this first half, or is Cuba just that bad?
I only saw the second half of the first half (ummm.... yeah!) and I would say it is some of both. Cuba has given us room to operate and made some mistakes on defense, but we've also been pretty solid with finishing our chances.

I wasn't really worried about today but it is a relief to know that I will get to see the USA play this Wednesday in person! :americanflag: :cool2:

6-0 now. Cuba is pretty bad and we're playing well up front, especially. Cuba is leaving open space everywhere and we're exploiting it with pinpoint passing, plus we're finishing well. Hence 6-0.

Cuba was awful. No way to gauge how the US played because of how bad Cuba played. Tough to play when 4-5 of the players on your roster have defected since they got here.

Mexico beat Cuba 6-0 in the earlier round. I thought the Cubans actually looked worse in that one.
Jamaica's Reggae Boys up next for the USA. No problem, mon.

Reactions: RUPedro
Jamaica was thoroughly outplayed by a so-so Haiti team and were very fortunate to win.

Is anybody going to the Met Life today for the games.

I was down on Baltimore yesterday as well. Thank God I got Club Seats it was Hot as Hell.

Is anybody going to the Met Life today for the games.

I was down on Baltimore yesterday as well. Thank God I got Club Seats it was Hot as Hell.
No but I'll definitely be watching the Costa Rica-Mexico game. I've got a few friends on both sides and they're all very excited for the match.

Costa Rica v Mexico is a good game to watch. First game of the tournament (that I've seen, at least) where the beauty of the game is readily evident. Good quality from both teams.

At the 23 minute mark, I'd give Mexico the slight edge due to their creativity in the attacking third. But only a slight edge.

Costa Rica v Mexico is a good game to watch. First game of the tournament (that I've seen, at least) where the beauty of the game is readily evident. Good quality from both teams.

At the 23 minute mark, I'd give Mexico the slight edge due to their creativity in the attacking third. But only a slight edge.

Agreed. I've watched most of the matches and this one has the best flow, with both teams showing great skill in putting together multiple passes to create scoring chances. The Costa Rican keeper just made a great save and the Mexican keeper is very good. Costa Rica just missed a golden opportunity for a goal from inside the box. I'd say this one is a toss-up.

Panama vs. Trinidad/Tobago was not as well played, but had incredible drama near the end in OT and then taking 10 rounds of PKs to get a winner on an amazing save by Peneda for Panama to win the match.

Agreed. I've watched most of the matches and this one has the best flow, with both teams showing great skill in putting together multiple passes to create scoring chances. The Costa Rican keeper just made a great save and the Mexican keeper is very good. Costa Rica just missed a golden opportunity for a goal from inside the box. I'd say this one is a toss-up.

Panama vs. Trinidad/Tobago was not as well played, but had incredible drama near the end in OT and then taking 10 rounds of PKs to get a winner on an amazing save by Peneda for Panama to win the match.
I think the winner of this game probably gets past Panama and I think this US team, should they get past Jamaica, would have it's hands full with either of these teams.

Mexico with the upper hand the last 15-20 minutes - numerous quality scoring chances, none of which have been converted and several of which ended in botched shots. Mexico should've scored at least once by now. Great game. Agree it'll very likely be the US vs. the winner of this game and that will be a tough one to win.

This is coming from an anti-Mexico fan, but they have clearly been the better team this half and will have to be sick with themselves if they don't beat Costa Rica.

Costa Rica with a very astute substitution and tactical adjustment. They are back in the game.

Mexico with the upper hand the last 15-20 minutes - numerous quality scoring chances, none of which have been converted and several of which ended in botched shots. Mexico should've scored at least once by now. Great game. Agree it'll very likely be the US vs. the winner of this game and that will be a tough one to win.
I'm not yet ready to declare USA the victor against Jamaica. Jamaica played Cost Rica to a 2-2 draw and Costa Rica looks decent to me. I'm not really sure what we have in the US team just yet. I guess we'll learn something Wednesday night.

Oh I'm watching. Mexico's Corona (just 22) and Costa Rica's Campbell (just 23) are an absolute joy to watch. Campbell almost put Costa Rica on his back right there but Ochoa came up with a brilliant save (I know there was an offside anyway). Tremendous skill from both teams.

Oh I'm watching. Mexico's Corona (just 22) and Costa Rica's Campbell (just 23) are an absolute joy to watch. Campbell almost put Costa Rica on his back right there but Ochoa came up with a brilliant save (I know there was an offside anyway). Tremendous skill from both teams.

Both are really fun to watch, especially Corona - what feet! Peralta could've easily gotten a red card there for that nasty challenge. Looks like PKs. I hate f-ing PKs.

F Mexico.

B.S.

And who is this tool in the Fox studio calling Mexico "we"? Way to be objective. I don't care who he played for.

Oh well, just gives the US a chance to shut up these arrogant jerks yet again.

Last edited:
Mexico deserved the result but not like that. Very disappointed but I know the ref will feel 1000x worse after he sees that replay.

Mexico deserved the result but not like that. Very disappointed but I know the ref will feel 1000x worse after he sees that replay.
Agreed. The ref had such a good game to that point. He's going to feel awful when he sees the replay.

And what makes it even worse, is that Peralta easily could've been red-carded a few minutes earlier, plus the ref went too far on stoppage time, going well over a minute, which wasn't really justified. Just horrible. Ruined the game.

And what makes it even worse, is that Peralta easily could've been red-carded a few minutes earlier, plus the ref went too far on stoppage time, going well over a minute, which wasn't really justified. Just horrible. Ruined the game.

Mexico is great at diving / theatrics. Penalty was called at 121:57, there was no way that there was that much stoppage time.

Mexico is great at diving / theatrics. Penalty was called at 121:57, there was no way that there was that much stoppage time.
I did not think it was a dive. I thought the Mexican player went up off-balance for the header, then went down untouched, but as a natural consequence of his lunge for the ball. His reaction afterward was telling. He did not immediately beg for a penalty as so many do. Instead he punched the ground in frustration because he missed the shot. I don't think it occurred to him that a PK could be called.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT