ADVERTISEMENT

Confirmed: Ash is back next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article

Another university official was more definitive on Ash's status:

"Unless something changes in the next five days, there's no way Ash isn't coming back,'' the university official said.

Both university officials told NJ Advance Media the result of Saturday's season finale at Michigan State isn't something that can change Hobbs' thinking on Ash's status.
While McNulty is expected to return, it is likely Ash's staff will see significant changes. Six of Ash's 10 assistants have contracts expiring before the start of next season, as does head strength coach Kenny Parker.

The assistants whose deals are up: Defensive coordinator Jay Niemann, assistant head coach and offensive line coach A.J. Blazek, running backs coach Nunzio Campanile, wide receivers coach Lester Erb, outside linebackers coach Toby Neinas and tight ends coach Vince Okruch.

Reactions: biker7766
From the article

Another university official was more definitive on Ash's status:

"Unless something changes in the next five days, there's no way Ash isn't coming back,'' the university official said.

Both university officials told NJ Advance Media the result of Saturday's season finale at Michigan State isn't something that can change Hobbs' thinking on Ash's status.
While McNulty is expected to return, it is likely Ash's staff will see significant changes. Six of Ash's 10 assistants have contracts expiring before the start of next season, as does head strength coach Kenny Parker.

The assistants whose deals are up: Defensive coordinator Jay Niemann, assistant head coach and offensive line coach A.J. Blazek, running backs coach Nunzio Campanile, wide receivers coach Lester Erb, outside linebackers coach Toby Neinas and tight ends coach Vince Okruch.
its the Rutgers way..waste money on assts that will be fired along with Ash in 11 months.
Again Barchi and Hobbs dont care.

its the Rutgers way..waste money on assts that will be fired along with Ash in 11 months.
This is why i think Ash is now here for another 2 seasons at least. Were gonna hire assistants who require 2-3 year contracts. Buyout next year will be very similar due to that

From the article

Me with Rutgers Football in the meantime:

cant-get-mad-if-you-dont-care-16016547.png

Joe P.

Last edited:
What assistant coaches are out there that we can get?
Can we spend a bit more money on a top Assistant?
Ash's salary is 13th out of 14 Head Coaches in the B10.
Spend top money on a QB/Co-Offensive Coordinator.
Someone that john McNaulty wants to work with.
Please recruit a Running QB.

Thank goodness for RU Wrestling

Agree . If ash is coming back, then all the assistants should be retained . Otherwise, wasting money on a new assistant coach that won’t be here the next year is assinine.
No decent coach will get on this sinking ship . Actually, the ship is sunk.

Reactions: Knightmoves
If this is true, sad news for rutgers fans. By keeping ash just one more year, sets us back at least 3 more . It really will be a 6 year rebuild for the next guy. We will lucky to be bowling by year 2024 and that’s assuming ash is canned next year in 2019, and hobbs should join him.

Please change title.

Nothing is confirmed
We can only pray this is a trial balloon floated to see how the big donors react (which is about the only thing that could change at this late stage). This is Rutgers so I always expected Ash to be back for year 4 regardless. The only thing that surprises me is this leaking before the last game.

We can only pray this is a trial balloon floated to see how the big donors react (which is about the only thing that could change at this late stage). This is Rutgers so I always expected Ash to be back for year 4 regardless. The only thing that surprises me is this leaking before the last game.

Could be a possibility but they wouldnt bring up Hobbs tweet if this was orchestrated by the AD.

Boy the excitement will just grow for next year!

I'm sure Franklin is thinking how did I get so lucky to go against Flood and Ash when that program could have been held down for years after the sanctions. Good ole RU to the rescue. Michigan and OSU and Nebraska and Wisconsin and.... will also pick through NJ for a generation. Hobbs' ego I feel is involved in this and his ill fated summer tweet.

Yes they would.
If it was 100 percent he was coming back hobbs would make a statement. That he hasn’t made one yet, there is still hope that the right thing will be done here.

That’s not what I’m saying.

There’s a chance these people don’t know what they’re talking about, and Ash is in fact fired.

But I highly doubt Hobbs (the AD) would orchestrate a “trial balloon” to feel out big donors by using his own tweet from the summer which makes him looks foolish.

Ash was always coming back. Surely this can't be a surprise to anyone who follows Rutgers sports?

One year closer to full pay out, one less year to pay Ash. It was always going to happen. Hobbs isn't making short term decisions. If money was no object, things would be different. But for Rutgers, that's not reality.

Yes they would.
If it was 100 percent he was coming back hobbs would make a statement. That he hasn’t made one yet, there is still hope that the right thing will be done here.
I plan to email Pat Hobbs with my thoughts on Coach Ash. As a small donor, I won't move the needle but hopefully everyone who is disgusted with the current state of the program clearly articulates their position to Pat this week. It's our only hope.

Ash was always coming back. Surely this can't be a surprise to anyone who follows Rutgers sports?

One year closer to full pay out, one less year to pay Ash. It was always going to happen. Hobbs isn't making short term decisions. If money was no object, things would be different. But for Rutgers, that's not reality.

This is a long term decision . A very bad one.

I am extremely skeptical that the purported inside sources cited by the NJ.COM article have any idea what's going to happen. But my guess is still that Ash will not be fired.

However, I won't be surprised if he is fired, despite that article. Another thing I wouldn't be surprised by is Ash having worked out something with Hobbs and leaving for a job elsewhere.

But we'll have to wait and see.

Spending money you don't have to get a similar profile coach to be back in the same position, with even less money, is an even worse decision. I get it, it sucks. There simply was no great decision. And sometimes, making no move is better than making an even worse move.

Regroup, grow the war chest, make a real hire after Ash fails again next year.

Spending money you don't have to get a similar profile coach to be back in the same position, with even less money, is an even worse decision. I get it, it sucks. There simply was no great decision. And sometimes, making no move is better than making an even worse move.

Then the correct decision was never to guarantee Ash so much in the first place. He wasn't going anywhere else. There was no need to guarantee him by far, the richest contract in Rutgers history at ~$15 million.

As people have pointed out multiple times, it will be one less year to pay Ash but more years they will be paying out in guarantees to assistants they hire this offseason. They won’t even save that much by keeping him. Typical Rutgers.

The right decision is to fire ash this Sunday. It’s the only decision. The guy is killing this program.

As people have pointed out multiple times, it will be one less year to pay Ash but more years they will be paying out in guarantees to assistants they hire this offseason. They won’t even save that much by keeping him. Typical Rutgers.

What assistants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT