ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Bolds

sct1111

All American
Nov 30, 2014
Haven't really heard too much about Corey Bolds. I think we all figured he was a heavy Michigan lean. However, the latest crystal ball prediction on 247 from a Michigan source has him predicting RU. Interesting.

Haven't really heard too much about Corey Bolds. I think we all figured he was a heavy Michigan lean. However, the latest crystal ball prediction on 247 from a Michigan source has him predicting RU. Interesting.
That's the Michigan recruiting editor making that prediction.
rqB2df3.jpg

Dude has a serious offer list across the B1G and SEC. Would be a big pick-up.

I like 247 because there's always new content, but you have to take the crystal ball predictions with a big grain of salt. They can change daily for the same recruit.

I was going to mention this also and I noticed it was a Michigan writer that made the prediction. On the Penn State board, someone mentioned that Hansard is a Michigan lock. They already 1 4 star DT committed and they may only take 2 which leave Bolds on the outside. Michigan has 8 3 star recruits already and really can not afford to take many more 3 star recruits.

Honestly think Hansard depends on what kind of season we have. Not saying we need to go bowling, but I think he wants to see the on-field product first.

Reactions: Scangg
Why would he qualify at Rutgers but not Michigan? Are the standards different for athletes?
For incoming freshman scholarship athletes (not sure about recruited walkons) we accept the NCAA minimum. Perhaps Michigan does not.

I was going to mention this also and I noticed it was a Michigan writer that made the prediction. On the Penn State board, someone mentioned that Hansard is a Michigan lock. They already 1 4 star DT committed and they may only take 2 which leave Bolds on the outside. Michigan has 8 3 star recruits already and really can not afford to take many more 3 star recruits.

Do you think JH would not take a player he liked just because a rating service only gave him 3*?

I often wonder something about JH now that he is at Michigan. When he was at Stanford and a kid was thinking about Michigan, he made it a point to make sure the kids knew that Michigan most often told players what majors they could or could not have. They didn't want their players bogged down in serious studies.
So, has he changed that practice now that he is at Michigan?

Hansard a Mich lock? I dunno about that.
Yeah that's sort of ridiculous. What exactly is that based off of? I think Hansard is going to be pretty unpredictable in terms of where he will go. I think he likes a lot of schools and he should because he has a huge offer list with a bunch of elite programs. Rutgers is definitely in the conversation as well. I think he is enjoying the process and he lets his recruiting pan out a little bit longer.

Reactions: Scangg
I often wonder something about JH now that he is at Michigan. When he was at Stanford and a kid was thinking about Michigan, he made it a point to make sure the kids knew that Michigan most often told players what majors they could or could not have. They didn't want their players bogged down in serious studies.
So, has he changed that practice now that he is at Michigan?

Yes, that has been conveniently forgotten by the "Michigan Man" fanbase. They were in an uproar when he said it. The whole myth that Michigan football players are superior students and dominant athletes was exposed. How Bo made it very clear that football came first and academics were secondary blew their minds. Angry group. Now JH is their coach and they love him and are back to believing in their fairy tales. It is a fine school but requires top notch football talent to win in this division. They do what almost all top schools do to make sure that they get the players they need (excluding the SEC).

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Yes, that has been conveniently forgotten by the "Michigan Man" fanbase. They were in an uproar when he said it. The whole myth that Michigan football players are superior students and dominant athletes was exposed. How Bo made it very clear that football came first and academics were secondary blew their minds. Angry group. Now JH is their coach and they love him and are back to believing in their fairy tales. It is a fine school but requires top notch football talent to win in this division. They do what almost all top schools do to make sure that they get the players they need (excluding the SEC).
Very few do it the "right way" (Stanford and ND come to mind), but even these programs delve into gray areas now and then.

If you want "pure" student-athletes playing football, you'll need to find an Ivy League team to root for.

Very few do it the "right way" (Stanford and ND come to mind), but even these programs delve into gray areas now and then.

If you want "pure" student-athletes playing football, you'll need to find an Ivy League team to root for.

A guy I work with played football for Yale. He has said many times that if it weren't for football he probably wouldn't have been accepted. The Ivies don't accept the NCAA minimum but they too lower standards at times for players.

Reactions: JerseyVegas

Stanford, not so much...you must be accepted by Stanford before your offer becomes committable. No such thing as "not qua lifting" after LOI

Stanford, not so much...you must be accepted by Stanford before your offer becomes committable. No such thing as "not qua lifting" after LOI
There are definitely reduced admission standards for athletes at every institution. Including Stanford and ND. Stanford obviously does not take NCAA minimums but there are absolutely special considerations taken into account for athletes.

Stanford does take athletes with lower grades and SAT's than the general student body like every other school. They just don't drop as low as most other schools. Harborough was in the news a few years back when he was trying to have those standards lowered even more back when he was coach there.

They all have "wiggle room" but the athlete has to be within a general achievement range - then the coach can give an indication to admissions that a roster spot is reserved for this athlete & the kid is in --

Often a prospective student with unique talent (not just an athlete) can end up being evaluated & admitted in an individualized manner like this that takes into account what they may be able to contribute to the university's overall community & overall success - for example you can be sure that there are a few off-the-charts "Mathletes" clearly destined for greatness in prestigious universities who may have had the foreign language admissions requirement waived - or who may not have had stellar "Verbal" portions of their SATs - (not dumb as a rock in these areas - just maybe 'average')

My sources tell me the pajama party with JH did not go as planned, prompting the 24/7 prediction. Sleepovers can be a tricky thing.

What if they go by their own evaluation, not star ratings?

What if they go by their own evaluation, not star ratings?
You mean he recruits like Flood? There's a reason Ohio State and Alabama have only 1 3 star recruit so far. If Michigan goes in with 9 3 star recruits with their smaller class, they might be ranked 20th this year. I think when Harbaugh gets his 4 star commitments closer to signing period, some of the 3 stars suddenly disappear and don't make the cut.

You mean he recruits like Flood? There's a reason Ohio State and Alabama have only 1 3 star recruit so far. If Michigan goes in with 9 3 star recruits with their smaller class, they might be ranked 20th this year. I think when Harbaugh gets his 4 star commitments closer to signing period, some of the 3 stars suddenly disappear and don't make the cut.

Could be but he may also be looking for certain "types".

Something to consider is there will be movement up and down with ratings after the camps are over. 3* will become 4* and visa versa. Let's wait and see where they fall after the evaluations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT