ADVERTISEMENT

Corey post draft

Any word where Corey goes?
No word yet. He has been working out in LA for last 2 months. Hoping for a spot on a summer league team. Summer league is July 6-19 so should know soon. Still hopeful for some GM to give him a chance.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I hope he catches on with a summer league team. I am very curious how he will fit in. We know his flaws, but there are things he can do that are NBA like. As he gets older and matures more maybe he figures it all out. I wish he were 3 inches taller.

Reactions: satnom and MV9000
I hope he catches on with a summer league team. I am very curious how he will fit in. We know his flaws, but there are things he can do that are NBA like. As he gets older and matures more maybe he figures it all out. I wish he were 3 inches taller.

3 inches taller? He would still be where he was. That is probably the last reason why he wasn't drafted.

Dantay Jones made $ in the NBA with off the chart athleticism and no shot. He was a very good defensive player. Corey is limited in how good he can be defensively in the NBA based on his length alone.
The nba is different now. You need to be able to shoot. Plus Jones was 6 6 and 225. Very hard to compare the two. Corey was not drafted for the reasons we know.

ESPN had him as the 39th best undrafted player, which means he would have been drafted if there were four rounds. I knew he wouldn't be drafted but that's even a lower ranking than I expected.

ESPN had him as the 39th best undrafted player, which means he would have been drafted if there were four rounds. I knew he wouldn't be drafted but that's even a lower ranking than I expected.

No offense to Corey and I wish him well but I doubt that is a surprise to many of us. Too many people on this board watched him in the vacuum of our team, where he was for so long the best player on a really bad team.

If you want a silver lining its why someone of us also think we can make up his production with current players on the roster and better team ball on the offensive side

Reactions: bac2therac and Goku
He was always destined for Europe. I wish him well. You can still earn a nice living playing a game.

Another year at RU wouldn't have done him much good other than the best thing- getting his degree. Hopefully, he can manage to do that somehow.

Corey is what he is. He can get better, but what the NBA looks for he doesn't have. Athleticism isn't enough. His shot isn't good enough, and for all of his athleticism, his defense isn't a strong suit.

Good luck to him in his next chapter.

He was always destined for Europe. I wish him well. You can still earn a nice living playing a game.

Another year at RU wouldn't have done him much good other than the best thing- getting his degree. Hopefully, he can manage to do that somehow.

Corey is what he is. He can get better, but what the NBA looks for he doesn't have. Athleticism isn't enough. His shot isn't good enough, and for all of his athleticism, his defense isn't a strong suit.

I'm not even sure Europe will be his destination. Could be Asia.

Agreed

He'll latch on to someone in summer league

The Farrell kid from Pt Beach HS landed with Heat

No offense to Corey and I wish him well but I doubt that is a surprise to many of us. Too many people on this board watched him in the vacuum of our team, where he was for so long the best player on a really bad team.

If you want a silver lining its why someone of us also think we can make up his production with current players on the roster and better team ball on the offensive side
yeah, too many people on this board thought Corey was all world.

This is the most realist/negative fan board ive ever seen, and posters go out of their way to trash our own guys. If anyone had unrealistic expectations regarding Coreys career they were quickly shouted down.

Dantay Jones made $ in the NBA with off the chart athleticism and no shot. He was a very good defensive player. Corey is limited in how good he can be defensively in the NBA based on his length alone.
Dantay jones was a much much better shooter than Corey.

Not sure what financial pressures/obligations Corey has, but completing a bachelor’s degree or working towards a master’s and playing another season of Big Ten hoops would have added to his personal & Rutgers stature. There are plenty of years ahead for career and family — what’s the rush to leave? 4 years of college, for most, are pretty close to the best four years of our lives.

Reactions: HeyHuey

Guards in Europe can shoot.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Not sure what financial pressures/obligations Corey has, but completing a bachelor’s degree or working towards a master’s and playing another season of Big Ten hoops would have added to his personal & Rutgers stature. There are plenty of years ahead for career and family — what’s the rush to leave? 4 years of college, for most, are pretty close to the best four years of our lives.

Masters ?

FGCU’s Brandon Goodwin, who I consider a comparable player to our Corey Sanders, has agreed to play for the Memphis Grizzlies summer league team.

My brother was driving a student athlete around months back that played football. He mentioned the life of a student athlete to be extremely demanding. He also said sometimes the program picks your major for you. 430 am workouts, 3 practices a day, film, etc. Tutoring for three hours a day.

This is not the life of a regular college student. It is the life of someone trying to be a professional athlete. There is rarely a party, grabbing pizza with friends, establishing a personal relationship. It is all business.

Yes, extremely demanding and not a regular student. But your characterization is way overboard. Using the word “sometimes” gives your characterization a little credence.

Yes, extremely demanding and not a regular student. But your characterization is way overboard. Using the word “sometimes” gives your characterization a little credence.

Better to ask a student athlete than us I guess. Just saying, they do not live the life of a typical college student. Far from it. That's all.

Not to sound like an old curmudgeon but in my day it was better.

No redshirting-----you got out in 4 unless you missed a year due to injury

No summer school-----you went home and worked----if you were in Summer School it was because you had an academic issue

No Training Table-----you ate with everyone else

No S&C Coach-----we had one-----he was a Priest----very good at what he did and a wonderful man but he was a faculty member and a priest.

We ran at 6 AM in the offseason in the Field House----done by 7----weight training was expected but you did that on your own. Most HS's have better weight rooms today than we had

Your day wasn't micromanaged for you-----you learned to do that yourself. It was a valuable teaching tool for life.

Dantay jones was a much much better shooter than Corey.
Not even close. He had no outside shot. He developed a mid range by his sophomore year at RU, but somehow lost it after eventually getting on the floor at Duke. Sitting out a year and then just being an off the bench role player hurt him in that respect. As someone already pointed out in this thread, he got to the NBA strictly on his freakish athleticism. If he could shoot, he would be a star.

Not even close. He had no outside shot. He developed a mid range by his sophomore year at RU, but somehow lost it after eventually getting on the floor at Duke. Sitting out a year and then just being an off the bench role player hurt him in that respect. As someone already pointed out in this thread, he got to the NBA strictly on his freakish athleticism. If he could shoot, he would be a star.
Actually Dahntay Jones made 47-of-118 three pointers (39.8 percent) during his second season at Duke.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
That is correct. Dahntay shot threes very well in his last year at Duke. He shot so much better than Corey from the outside and his defense at RU was fabulous.

That is correct. Dahntay shot threes very well in his last year at Duke. He shot so much better than Corey from the outside and his defense at RU was fabulous.
Jones was a terrific defender. That's what made him a first round pick, his defense. Two-time ACC all-defensive team.

Not to sound like an old curmudgeon but in my day it was better.

No redshirting-----you got out in 4 unless you missed a year due to injury

No summer school-----you went home and worked----if you were in Summer School it was because you had an academic issue

No Training Table-----you ate with everyone else

No S&C Coach-----we had one-----he was a Priest----very good at what he did and a wonderful man but he was a faculty member and a priest.

We ran at 6 AM in the offseason in the Field House----done by 7----weight training was expected but you did that on your own. Most HS's have better weight rooms today than we had

Your day wasn't micromanaged for you-----you learned to do that yourself. It was a valuable teaching tool for life.
Things are very different now. Even at the Olympic sport level, these kids aren’t regular students. Or even close to it. There is no offseason, and that which is considered the offseason is harder than the actual season.

Corey shot .266 and .224 from 3pt last two years. Jones shot .324 and .345 from 3pt his 2 yrs at Rutgers. You are very wrong.

Guards in Europe can shoot.

If Corey were taller, he would be a better prospect for an elite foreign team. There are a zillion guards, world-wide, looking to play pro ball. Think Corey was spoiled his freshman season, when EJ just let him have free reign because we didn't have much else. He had problems adjusting to the new coaching staff--and was sat down a time or two his last two seasons. He often drove into traffic with his head down, took ill-advised 3's, and was often out of position. He had excellent position coaches, but it didn't seem to "take". Late in his junior year, he was the same player he was as a freshman. And then, suddenly, it all seemed to sink in. For that run in the B1G tournament, Corey was the player the coaches had tried to get him to be. No more 3's. A dynamic, energetic mid-range scorer and facilitator. His energy fired up the team.

Was that just a temporary hot streak? Or was that the emergence of a new Corey? If it was a new Corey, he would have benefited from a senior year here, where he would have gained attention and had a better shot at making the NBA. Now he will go abroad, and if he is the New Corey, he might well do enough to get a shot at the NBA later. We all are rooting for him.
TL

Was that just a temporary hot streak? Or was that the emergence of a new Corey? If it was a new Corey, he would have benefited from a senior year here, where he would have gained attention and had a better shot at making the NBA. Now he will go abroad, and if he is the New Corey, he might well do enough to get a shot at the NBA later. We all are rooting for him.
TL
The only benefit from Corey's return would be for the fans. Corey could improve in every area, but his height makes him a dime a dozen. Coming back to Rutgers wouldn't have done him any good unless his game rose to the level of HOF. Only then he probably a draft pick. Jalen Brunson was one of the best guards in college last year, and everyone called him a lock for the 1st round. It turns out he went in the 2nd round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT