ADVERTISEMENT

Could 5 star Justin Shorter, PSU decommit, possibly coming to the banks

Scarlet Haze

Junior
Aug 31, 2016
Could 5 star Justin Shorter, PSU decommit, possibly be coming to the banks? (edit of title)

https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-tuesday-matching-players-in-portal-to-perfect-fit

JUSTIN SHORTER - Rutgers

ppb.png

nnqmm9kiyr928ot3qstr

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION

Justin

Shorter

RANK
6'4" | 220 lbs | WR
South Brunswick
Monmouth Junction, NJ
CLASS OF 2018

SIGNED LOI
8/6/2016
Penn State
As a recruit: Shorter didn’t wait long to commit to Penn State after becoming a national level recruit, pledging to the Nittany Lions in the summer prior to his junior year.

At Penn State: During his first year at Penn State, Shorter took advantage of the four-game redshirt rule and hauled in three passes for 20 yards in his first season. He came 2019 as a starter, but he didn’t put up the type of consistent numbers expected for a player of his pedigree. The most passes he caught in a game was three against Ohio State, and he finished the year 12 catches for 137 yards. He entered the portal late last month. and will have at least two years of eligibility remaining at his next school.

Why it’s a match: This one is almost too easy as the Scarlet Knights need all the help they can get and Shorter is a New Jersey native so ending up back close to home seems like a no-brainer. There were rumors that Shorter had hoped Greg Schiano would get the job, so this one has a very realistic chance of happening.

He never considered Rutgers out of South Brunswick so I see it as a long shot.
Somebody posted in another thread a couple of weeks ago that his daughter went to school with Shorter and asked him about Rutgers. He told her that he liked GS, but would only come here if he thought that RU had anyone that could throw him the ball. My interpretation of that is that he is not sold on our current QB's and he is waiting to see what we can land. It is too late for any consensus blue chip QB because they are all committed.

The jury is still out on Cole Snyder and Evan Simon. They both have thrown the ball a lot more in HS in 1 year than Sit did in 3 so their passing should be better developed. I think that Sit can be salvaged to be a pretty good QB after seeing how he looked in 2 games for us this year if can make a similar leap this year to next. He certainly has the arm.

Maybe a change of scenery would help the kid. He did not look five-star impressive at Penn State.

A few reasons for Mr. Shorter to consider:

1. Britt, Sanu, Caroo, Coleman, Wright,
Underwood .

2. Turning a Rutgers program around in front of your family and friends.

Sitkowski could certainly use a go to wr someone that can get open deep. Shorter is a great athlete.

Somebody posted in another thread a couple of weeks ago that his daughter went to school with Shorter and asked him about Rutgers. He told her that he liked GS, but would only come here if he thought that RU had anyone that could throw him the ball. My interpretation of that is that he is not sold on our current QB's and he is waiting to see what we can land. It is too late for any consensus blue chip QB because they are all committed.

The jury is still out on Cole Snyder and Evan Simon. They both have thrown the ball a lot more in HS in 1 year than Sit did in 3 so their passing should be better developed. I think that Sit can be salvaged to be a pretty good QB after seeing how he looked in 2 games for us this year if can make a similar leap this year to next. He certainly has the arm.
Ask him if the ball is thrown, will he catch it?

That was me and it was my niece. She is very good friends with him and your statement is accurate that he will only come if he has a QB that can throw to him. His parents are very involved too in all aspects of his life. He left PSU because he wasn’t getting enough targets

Reactions: hiwater
That was me and it was my niece. She is very good friends with him and your statement is accurate that he will only come if he has a QB that can throw to him. His parents are very involved too in all aspects of his life. He left PSU because he wasn’t getting enough targets
Sounds like a headache. Hard pass (which he might drop anyway).

Most receivers that believe they have NFL potential are going to want to be in an offense where they can produce as opposed to the shit show of the past two seasons. I'd love for him to be here. You think a quality QB would want to commit or transfer here if they don't have receivers that can catch and linemen that can keep him upright? Goes both ways.

Most receivers that believe they have NFL potential are going to want to be in an offense where they can produce as opposed to the shit show of the past two seasons. I'd love for him to be here. You think a quality QB would want to commit or transfer here if they don't have receivers that can catch and linemen that can keep him upright? Goes both ways.
He can go pound sand.

He had a QB who could throw to him at PSU. How’d that work out for him ?

Reactions: MADHAT1
Whether or not he comes...EFF YOU CHRIS ASH!!! What you couldn’t drive to South Brunswick you incompetent turd?!? You even had the former South Brunswick coach on staff.

Not a headache. I want that cocky self confidence in a receiver. That gives him an edge. There is nothing disruptive about wanting the ball. It's not like he is uipping at the QB about it.

Melton was similarly unhappy here. A lot of RU fans had negative comments about him being a bust. I doubt that anyone thinks he is a bust now. The ball finally started getting thrown his way and it is pretty obvious that he's a good receiver

Not a headache. I want that cocky self confidence in a receiver. That gives him an edge. There is nothing disruptive about wanting the ball. It's not like he is uipping at the QB about it.

Melton was similarly unhappy here. A lot of RU fans had negative comments about him being a bust. I doubt that anyone thinks he is a bust now. The ball finally started getting thrown his way and it is pretty obvious that he's a good receiver
Sounds like a guy that does not want to stay and compete at PSU. I don't particularly care for Franklin, but his comments are well-taken here.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article237851814.html

if he transfers within the B1G, doesn't he lose a year of eligibility?
Yes, but for a player who aspires to be in the NFL after three or four years at most, losing the fifth year is not much of a disincentive.

If he were to come here without a waiver, he'd have to sit 2020, and have two years of eligibility in 2021-2022.

Too funny that he didn't think that he was getting enough targets at PSU. The 3 targets that he got in the Minnesota game essentially cost PSU the game - 2 big drops, and the jump ball that he failed to compete for which resulted in a critical interception. Pretty ironic that he was in some circles the #1 WR recruit in the country in 2018, and Franklin started a walk-on ahead of him the past couple of games. Good for Jimmy!

Too funny that he didn't think that he was getting enough targets at PSU. The 3 targets that he got in the Minnesota game essentially cost PSU the game - 2 big drops, and the jump ball that he failed to compete for which resulted in a critical interception. Pretty ironic that he was in some circles the #1 WR recruit in the country in 2018, and Franklin started a walk-on ahead of him the past couple of games. Good for Jimmy!

Agreed, he did not look good in the MN game. Once he announced he was in the portal he was off the team, hence a walk on starting ahead of him. That is Franklin's policy w/ the portal. I guess you can do that when you have depth

Pls don’t refer to Franklin as Jimmy. He has no friends here.

Franklin’s comments on the situation seem pretty even, but I think everyone needs to chill on this kid. He was supposed to be a superstar and it hasn’t happened yet. That can really crush a kid mentally. The kid is obviously pressing, which is why he seemingly forgot how to catch. Maybe PSU really just wasn’t a good fit. Kids enter the portal all the time. Heck, all of the top QBs in the nation are portal players and/or grad transfers. I don’t see anyone calling Joe Burrow a quitter, or weak minded. He’s going to win the Heisman and be the #1 overall pick.

I doubt Shorter ends up here but anyone looking down their nose at elite athleticism is crazy. Of course you bring in this kid if he ever wanted to come home.

Franklin’s comments on the situation seem pretty even, but I think everyone needs to chill on this kid. He was supposed to be a superstar and it hasn’t happened yet. That can really crush a kid mentally. The kid is obviously pressing, which is why he seemingly forgot how to catch. Maybe PSU really just wasn’t a good fit. Kids enter the portal all the time. Heck, all of the top QBs in the nation are portal players and/or grad transfers. I don’t see anyone calling Joe Burrow a quitter, or weak minded. He’s going to win the Heisman and be the #1 overall pick.

I doubt Shorter ends up here but anyone looking down their nose at elite athleticism is crazy. Of course you bring in this kid if he ever wanted to come home.

Excuse me, but everyone needs to "chill" on a kid who purportedly won't give Rutgers a sniff because he wants to make sure there is somebody here who can throw it to him. Sounds like he is looking down his nose at Rutgers? Passed on his home team first time coming from a town that produced Mo Sanu. Quit on his current team after being rightfully benched. Doesn't sound like the kind of team player Greg is looking for. Hard pass.

Excuse me, but everyone needs to "chill" on a kid who purportedly won't give Rutgers a sniff because he wants to make sure there is somebody here who can throw it to him. Sounds like he is looking down his nose at Rutgers? Passed on his home team first time coming from a town that produced Mo Sanu. Quit on his current team after being rightfully benched. Doesn't sound like the kind of team player Greg is looking for. Hard pass.

I guess you missed my point, but that’s ok. If we’re going big game hunting in the portal every kid is going to have story like this. I can guarantee you GS would take this kid in a second. You bring in elite talent and believe you can unlock the code to the kid’s talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT