ADVERTISEMENT

Current State of RU Football and Who is to Blame

As I said already in this thread, I fully expect any Rutgers alums on this board to have chosen RU primarily or at least partially for the sports aspect...however this board is not an indicative sample size of the average RU student...there is inherent bias for those on this board for obvious reasons

Not sure where you get that idea.

Average age here seems to be mid-40s, and not so sure RU sports was playing a big role (in a good way) for people choosing their college back then ... or up until like 2005.

Spare me. I have 2 friends that just finished medical school who were at every RU game with me.
I'm sure you know more than 2 RU students that try to attend every game, but can you say the majority of Rutgers students do the same.
Also if going to the games are so important to RU underclassmen, why don't they continue to attend after they graduate.
If they did ,Rutgers Stadium would probably be filled every game.

Well, the "being a cheapskate bit" was thoroughly moronic.

That is the sole reason I ended up at Rutgers, and knight shift alluded to the same thing. If economics were no Factor at all, you would have chosen Rutgers over Michigan for example? Of course not. If you did you would be the moron. So why should a football player ever make that decision.

Reactions: bac2therac
Do you really look down on Seton Hall and Stockton graduates? I don't at all. I look up to MIT graduates, though. Don't you?

No. But why did you morph the discussion into how one might look at graduates of different schools? Anyway, that should depend on the individual graduate, not the school. Even a community college grad doesn't have to genuflect toward a MIT grad.

Last edited:
Rutgers wants big football, while trying to avoid looking like a big football university. Its like going out with a girl you think is pretty but don't really like. There's a spark/commitment that's missing.

Reactions: bac2therac
You're kidding yourself if you think Rutgers carries academic prestige of any significance. A Rutgers degree means nothing more than a Seton Hall or Stockton degree. It's not in the same universe as the schools Knight Shift's kid is targeting. Why would anyone send their kid to Rutgers over MIT except for being cheapskates?
I liked your post for the first and third sentences, but the third sentence with trepidation.
It's not about being in the same universe or not being cheapskates. It's about providing our son the best opportunity to advance himself academically and to provide for opportunities after graduation. Should he be fortunate to be accepted at any of his target schools, odds are very good his opportunities for research, networking, admission to grad schools will be greater if he goes to a target school over Rutgers. That said, he would have outstanding opportunities should he elect to go to Rutgers too.

Do you really look down on Seton Hall and Stockton graduates? I don't at all. I look up to MIT graduates, though. Don't you?
I don't look down on or up to graduates of any other schools. When I see an Ivy, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, etc type degree, perhaps there is a modicum of deference granted, but they have to prove themselves just like anyone else. And have seen plenty of those types not prove anything or much at all except they want to rest on their degree. Have also seen plenty who are tremendously talented individuals in their fields.

That is the sole reason I ended up at Rutgers, and knight shift alluded to the same thing. If economics were no Factor at all, you would have chosen Rutgers over Michigan for example? Of course not. If you did you would be the moron. So why should a football player ever make that decision.
It was not about cheapskate issues, it was the only school I could afford to go to besides community college. My parents had no money to pay my tuition. First year was grants and a loan. Sophomore-Senior years I paid by working during school and summers. No regrets at all. Don't think putting myself into debt would have been worth it at the two private schools that accepted me and gave bad aid packages.

Hi SkilletHead2, we considered Cooper Union, and it is indeed and outstanding school for engineering. Our understanding is that while Cooper Union has an electrical engineering program, they don't have the depth in computer science that my son is looking for. We are not ruling out Rutgers for computer science. You make points I agree with, but the first paragraph of @Blitz8RUCrazy 's response nails it. This portion of the 60 minutes piece on MIT's media lab shows what is available to graduate and undergraduate students:

Incidentally, my son and I have been in that lab building several times for some projects/programming he has worked on. It is an absolutely amazing and inspiring place.
Using a college football analogy, MIT is the Alabama of computer science and engineering. That said, the odds are very long of gaining admission.
I agree with Blitz's comment. I'd written pretty much the same thing in my response and then took it out. The people you meet and get to know are not just great for connections (and that is a big part of it), they are often just great people, full stop. On the other hand, I disagree with my old friend, King. Rutgers is far more prestigious and well-known than any other college in NJ with the notable exception of my alma mater. No question about it. And, the further you get away from RU, the more prestigious it becomes. I teach in the southernmost research university in the world. The head of our university is a Rutgers PhD, and the university is held in high esteem down here.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Seton Hall's acceptance rate is north of 80%. You basically just need a HS degree to get in.

Stockton no one outside of NJ has even heard of.

This a weak troll attempt.

Holy $hit people, read it and take the premise and content and stop being critical.

good job op

Hey, he put it out there and wanted responses. We all have to sing his praises? We can't respond negatively? Really? Foolish. I know you're talking about the English and typing issues and not the content, but guess what? If you don't think a person with poor writing skills is judged on it, you're living in fantasy land. People dismiss the opinions of those who can't be bothered to properly deliver them all the time. But I'll stick to content, because we all know the blog itself was subpar on the other grounds.

So he put his name on it. That takes guts? He graduated five years ago. What is anybody going to do to him? Revoke his diploma? Not let him buy overpriced food at the games? Hell, I got actual indirect threats from athletes for things I wrote when I was at Rutgers. Did I care? Nope. And guess what? They sucked. They sucked hard and they sucked long and, the way I saw it, embarrassed the university with their incompetence. Another sport, but the same notion. Football teased us back then, starting well, losing a WTF game and then going in the tank. All the bowl talk in August was a pipe dream. I pointed that out, too, and people didn't like it. And Glenn Foley was cruel enough to point it out to us.

And that's the one point I will agree with the blog on. Of course sports a high-profile window on the university. No doubt. But who doesn't know that? That's some kind of revelation?

Barchi's job is to run a university, not a sports franchise. In a perfect world, there is a strong AD taking care of the shop and the president can stay out of it most of the time. (And if he is going to get involved, WATCH THE DAMN VIDEO, but I digress.)

To be honest, this is a pretty pointless piece. The individual parts of it have been discussed here, in other forums, in the local media, etc., forever. Nothing new.

And I think what Hobbs is doing overall, as he pointed out, has been solid. We can see things being built that will help us. And guess what? It's entirely possible those things still can help Ash. I have very little confidence in that, but it's not impossible. I'm thinking long term, of course, but how many Kansas fans thought they would be 2-1 after the loss to Nicholls State?

I was worried about Buffalo before the season started, and of course I still am. But there is no reason to write pieces like this until the season is over. And, for better or worse, it's not over.

how much time have you spent in an academic setting, talking to professors, discussing rankings, incoming students, administrators, etc etc?

Plenty of examples of schools that developed great sports teams that helped turned the view of the academics. Look no further than psu which was a safety school in the 80s and early 90s, Florida, etc. No coincidence that RU admissions jumped almost 30% during Greg's run and higher rated employers approached the school for better positions.
B.C. is another example The Flutie Factor made them stronger academically,

I attended Rutgers and Seton Hall. Seton Hall was for graduate school. All of my professors at Seton Hall were The Best of the Best. The facilities were unimaginable for someone like me who had just spent the previous for years at Rutgers. I was instructed by people like future Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito and other professors who had the most prestigious academic credentials. The dean, who happened to be Pat Hobbs, knew most of us by name and the administration treated everyone like a family member. At Rutgers they just gave out parking tickets. It's unfortunate, but those are the impressions I left those institutions with.

Coming out, neither School played a role in my finding my first job. At different law schools, like NYU for example, firms would set up shop begging students to consider them. It's a different world altogether for those students.

For most of us, we make your way based on the individual talents and valuable attributes we have. The degree is just a piece of paper. But from certain institutions, MIT, for example, that degree is truly a ticket. That's all I'm saying.

I attended Rutgers and Seton Hall. Seton Hall was for graduate school. All of my professors at Seton Hall were The Best of the Best. The facilities were unimaginable for someone like me who had just spent the previous for years at Rutgers. I was instructed by people like future Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito and other professors who had the most prestigious academic credentials. The dean, who happened to be Pat Hobbs, knew most of us by name and the administration treated everyone like a family member. At Rutgers they just gave out parking tickets. It's unfortunate, but those are the impressions I left those institutions with.

Coming out, neither School played a role in my finding my first job. At different law schools, like NYU for example, firms would set up shop begging students to consider them. It's a different world altogether for those students.

For most of us, we make your way based on the individual talents and valuable attributes we have. The degree is just a piece of paper. But from certain institutions, MIT, for example, that degree is truly a ticket. That's all I'm saying.
We followed the same path. What year from SHLS? I am '95. Pat was not Dean then, but he taught my tax law class.

Seton Hall has a good Law School but it's pretty much equal to Rutgers Law and you pay 2x maybe 3x the tuition.

Seton Hall has a good Law School but it's pretty much equal to Rutgers Law and you pay 2x maybe 3x the tuition.

Yup, and still paying for it. It was a dumb financial move, but I was so fed up with Rutgers by then.

Yup, and still paying for it. It was a dumb financial move, but I was so fed up with Rutgers by then.
We lucked out. Had 2.5 years tuition banked going in. Made Law Review editorial board, and back then, that meant tuition remission. Graduated with money in bank--I was truly blessed to have a supportive wife with a great job.

We lucked out. Had 2.5 years tuition banked going in. Made Law Review editorial board, and back then, that meant tuition remission. Graduated with money in bank--I was truly blessed to have a supportive wife with a great job.

You're smart. I wasnt law review material. My wife was at seton hall for grad school too. When we started repaying them and having kids and buying a house all at the same time...those were the days.

You're smart. I wasnt law review material. My wife was at seton hall for grad school too. When we started repaying them and having kids and buying a house all at the same time...those were the days.
Two classmates went to Vassar undergrad and were getting married. IIRC, they were graduating SHLS with $300-350K debt between them.
I've never thought of myself as smart. I am a grinder. I was not selected to Law Review based on grades. I wrote my way on. I worked my ass off on my Note on commercial speech. I studied multiple notes and how they were structured. They liked my write-on note so much, that was my note for law review. I tell my kids that any disadvantage they might have can be overcome by grinding out the work. Grinding has never failed me.

So what's your allegiance to Rutgers then? You're doing your best to crap on RU in this thread, but you spend plenty of time on this board, moderating it even. Why bother?

So what's your allegiance to Rutgers then? You're doing your best to crap on RU in this thread, but you spend plenty of time on this board, moderating it even. Why bother?
huh? so he sees issues and opines on them and allows someone to question their 'fandom'? Face it, we suck, our coaches suck, administration sucks, state aid sucks, overall alumni support for athletics sucks....tell me when I'm wrong

I'm praying we win tomorrow because if we don't, Ash will need to start looking cause he's done here. Even if he stays another 4 yrs, he's toast cause he'll never dig out of the recruiting nightmare that will ensue and especially so since it's apparent he can't coach or pick personnel.

huh? so he sees issues and opines on them and allows someone to question their 'fandom'? Face it, we suck, our coaches suck, administration sucks, state aid sucks, overall alumni support for athletics sucks....tell me when I'm wrong

I'm praying we win tomorrow because if we don't, Ash will need to start looking cause he's done here. Even if he stays another 4 yrs, he's toast cause he'll never dig out of the recruiting nightmare that will ensue and especially so since it's apparent he can't coach or pick personnel.
Don't disagree at all, relative to football. 100% in lockstep with everything you said. My issue was with his academic commentary.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
We were all there. Classes were either held in lecture halls with 400 kids taught by a half assed professor or in smaller setting taught by grad students. Not impressed. In what regard are the academics top notch at Rutgers in your opinion?

Pretty sure you're trolling but just in case any prospective students are reading this...

Seton Hall has a good law school. That does not change the fact that that its undergrad is basically an auto admit degree factory that is not on the level of RU. Any number you want to pick would bear that out.

Secondly, many law schools have reputations that are better than their undergrads. I went to Fordham for law school and that is one example. Temple and St. Johns, same thing.

It is a joke of the highest order to suggest that RU has professors not of excellent caliber. Yeah our sports are mostly crap right now. But RU academics are top notch. Only in NJ can being a big class at a state U be whine worthy.

The one funny thing I did notice attending a private law school versus K12 public and RU were how some kids literally got to 22 or better not knowing one day of struggle or interaction with the non wealthy or mom and dad not offering an on the spot bail out. There were a lot of kids who could quote case law and outline the bejesus out of a class but if they had to order a pretzel from a street vendor they would collapse.

Of course MIT or CMU or whatever should not be passed up. But otherwise I would recommend RU for many reasons, one of which it is the real world and you grow up quick on the banks.

I like almost everything you said. However, do you really think Schiano 2.0 would be as effective a decade later?
You've basically called Schiano 2.0 his sunset into retirement.
I think there are other alternatives to consider.
Clearly the Ash Era will have dampened the prospects for finding the next RU coach if that candidate has other options.

I like almost everything you said. However, do you really think Schiano 2.0 would be as effective a decade later?
You've basically called Schiano 2.0 his sunset into retirement.
I think there are other alternatives to consider.
Clearly the Ash Era will have dampened the prospects for finding the next RU coach if that candidate has other options.
Chris Partridge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT