ADVERTISEMENT

CVS Successor Candidates Discussion (pin this thread?)

Had to look up to see who the hell Shauna Green was, honestly never heard of her, and where she coaches. Dayton Flyers? A powerhouse to be sure. You guys are really in search for your blonde pony tailed coach I see, pathetic actually.
I too had to look her up, but a picture was not included in my source. I think she is worth a look as one of a few relatively well thought of younger and newer coaches. I strongly prefer a HC rather than an assistant if we go the "younger" route (I am told the gap between HC and assistant is huge) and I think her resume included some Power 5 experience (I could be confused).

As I have said (for years) the grass is not always greener. And you can't predict. Did anyone think Jolette and Carlene Mitchell would bomb as head coaches? And at Arizona we went the "assistant" route - Niya Butts, coming from the Tennessee program and tradition, was awful, while Adia Barnes, true an alum, came from Washington and succeeded wildly. How do you know???

Rutgers isn't going to be able to poach a top rated HC from a major program, so we must accept the up and coming younger generation of coaches, like Shauna Green, as the best available.
As for assistants to gamble on :
Kate Paye of Sanford might be a possibility and Minnesota's Carly Thibault-DuDonis is worth consideration as a long shot because of being around a good HC (her father Mike) growing up.

Megan Duffy the HC of Miami of Ohio name needs to be mentioned as a current HC that is proving to be someone Major Programs will be going after and Rutgers, if replacing CVS, needs to have her on short list

Last edited:
Rutgers isn't going to be able to poach a top rated HC from a major program, so we must accept the up and coming younger generation of coaches, like Shauna Green, as the best available.
Kate Paye of Sanford might be a possibility and Minnesota's Carly Thibault-DuDonis is worth consideration as a long shot because of being around a good HC (her father Mike) growing up.

Megan Duffy the HC of Miami of Ohio name needs to be mentioned as a current HC that is proving to be someone Major Programs will be going after and Rutgers, if replacing CVS, needs to have her on short list
MAD, where are you getting these names from??

MAD, where are you getting these names from??
Looking through the internet for up and coming coaches and then googling names to see current status.
This is the article I basically used and it's from a year ago, so needed to google names to see current status.
For HCs if looked good, check out current W-L record .
Check article out:
Thirty up-and-coming women's basketball coaches you should know
https://highposthoops.com/2018/11/12/top-thirty-up-and-coming-coaches-you-should-know/3/

Had to look up to see who the hell Shauna Green was, honestly never heard of her, and where she coaches. Dayton Flyers? A powerhouse to be sure. You guys are really in search for your blonde pony tailed coach I see, pathetic actually.

An assistant at Northwestern before Dayton. Northwestern doesn't seem to be doing that bad. She might know a thing about the B1G.

Reactions: bac2therac

Kate Paye would be a long shot, Stanford through and through. Duffy could be intriguing I guess. Isn't Carly Thibault.DuDonis fairly new to the Power 5 coaching ranks?

Kate Paye would be a long shot, Stanford through and through. Duffy could be intriguing I guess. Isn't Carly Thibault.DuDonis fairly new to the Power 5 coaching ranks?

DuDonis' experience as a coach is fairly short ,2 years at Eastern Michigan before being hired by Minnesota April of 2018.
She as I said would be a long-shot and a very big one at that.
Put her in because of her father and think she'd be advised by her father who she should hire as assistants and one would have HC experience to mentor her.
But, because of her lack of experience, would only be a last resort type of candidate in my opinion

I believe your right about Paye and that's why I didn't put UConn's Chris Dailey ( who would have been a great choice)

Rutgers needs to hire a current HC that is being successful in a non-major conference and hopefully hasn't taken too many years before being thought of as major conference material.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
How about hiring Bill Sullivan and let him bring on Jen Rizzoti as an assistant?
Maybe the other way around.
Hire her, she brings him.

As I always say about gambling on coaching hires, going by my opinion:
A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse
:YesNo

Just an FYI. I am the one who suggested Shauna and the reason was because I am an UD alumni and a Dayton booster. I have seen the great job she has done with the team since taking over when Jim Jabir left them in the lurch a few years ago. She had been one of his assistants and had left for another job, but Dayton reached out to her and wooed her back. This is her first job as a college head coach and she is good. This season UD is 19-7 and undefeated in the A10. They played a much tougher OOC schedule than RU did this year (SC, UConn, Gonzaga, to name a few) and it got them well prepared to face the competition in their conference. Shauna's looks were never part of the equation, although I will admit to being partial to having a female coach.

Well I've put Chelsea's(Newton) name out here as a possibilty before. She bleeds Scarlet in so many ways. Been with Georgia for a few years now after her stint as an assistant with CVS. I know some on here wanted someone with head coaching experience as well.
But, enough of the speculation for now as it is not needed at this juncture,

Reactions: Bon1674
I saw Shauna beat VCU to remain unbeaten in conference and she can coach. When CVS decides to step down I would put her high on the list.

Lets shoot for the moon...Dawn Staley

worked out the last time we did it in the mid 90s

No way. Dawn just built a beautiful house down here and she has turned Carolina into the destination for the Country's best players. She has 7 years left on a contract worth $2.1 million and word is she loves South Carolina. Her family is here, she plays in the best conference in the Country and has excellent facilities. How does Rutgers make a play for her?

Reactions: ScarletteK80
No way. Dawn just built a beautiful house down here and she has turned Carolina into the destination for the Country's best players. She has 7 years left on a contract worth $2.1 million and word is she loves South Carolina. Her family is here, she plays in the best conference in the Country and has excellent facilities. How does Rutgers make a play for her?

i dont know but RU made a play for CVS in the 90s who at that time was one of the most visible and best coaches in the game

Tufts. Very good school, from all I've heard. Way out of my league. Division III is correct, the Jumbos of all things.

Literally named for a famous circus elephant from the Barnum & Bailey circus. Barnum was an original trustee of Tufts, and he gave money for a natural history museum, which housed Jumbo's taxidermied form. (Jumbo is no more, alas - he burned in a fire - but his ashes apparently are kept in the athletic department's offices.)

i dont know but RU made a play for CVS in the 90s who at that time was one of the most visible and best coaches in the game
Staley was sitting behind me at Coach Stringer's 1,000 win game. I took the opportunity to tell her that many of us were hoping that, once C.Viv retired, she might be persuaded to become coach at RU. She assured me that would never happen.

Sort of reminds of the thread on the Football Boards suggesting we could get Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. If you don’t want to pay for current salary, you don’t get a Dawn Staley to leave USCe

But Vivian had reasons for wanting to move east. Well documented I'm sure in her book and certainly discussed in some features on her. I agree with other folks, there is no particular reason for Dawn to want to leave South Carolina. Unlike Vivian, she doesn't have sad memories there.

Reactions: MADHAT1
No need to pin this thread, someone just post in it twice a day and it will always be at the top

Sort of reminds of the thread on the Football Boards suggesting we could get Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. If you don’t want to pay for current salary, you don’t get a Dawn Staley to leave USCe

except its not since we already proved way back by going after CVS in the 90s and paying her a million. but maybe you are right, Rutgers place is so far down on the list maybe we the gap has widen that deep from the top.....telling isnt it?

except its not since we already proved way back by going after CVS in the 90s and paying her a million. but maybe you are right, Rutgers place is so far down on the list maybe we the gap has widen that deep from the top.....telling isnt it?
gap widened not because of Stringer, but what the RU Administration refused to do
to help both the MBB& WBB programs be able to compete.
RU WBB stayed close to the top because of CVS' reputation and the respect she had/has in the Women's basketball world.
Your disdain for Stringer as RU's HC shows with the venom you put out , but RU WBB falling to the irrelevance you seem to imply, every chance you get, needs to be placed on the support Stringer received for years from Rutgers.

As for your implying Vivian is making
millions, remember she's a HOF HC, who has been RU's HC since 1995 (hired for $150,000 year plus incentive bonuses) and that million you claim needs to be addressed if you're claiming a base salary instead of can be reached by making the incentive bonuses put in her contracts.

I might have become a little skeptical about Vivian's ability to return the RU WBB program back to elite status, but never will allow her to be made into an inept gold digger.or even have that implied.

Vivian had done more for the RU WBB program than RU's other sports were able to with the inadequate backing from the RU Administration gave MBB & WBB and that needs to be recognized.
Not have that slow descent from the top fall squarely on her shoulders rather than where the blame deserves to be placed.

Last edited:
She just brought in a top 5 recruiting class, wht would she retire. She has the talent to make a run at the championship, plus there is a chance at another top ten class. If she leaves, that talent might go also. It is easy to transfer now. She is there for at least the next three years.

She just brought in a top 5 recruiting class, wht would she retire. She has the talent to make a run at the championship, plus there is a chance at another top ten class. If she leaves, that talent might go also. It is easy to transfer now. She is there for at least the next three years.
My opinion is:
I think Vivian plans to coach the full term of her contract and then retire..
Age and health will be a factor if she changes her mind and decides to coach longer.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
My opinion is:
Age and health will be a factor if she changes her mind and decides to coach longer.
i feel that hobbs should go after a modern day game coach who will bring more diversity ans 3 pont shooters here so we can compete at the next level. cvs is a hof coach and has been a good recruiter but she dosent mesh with the game as its played today

My opinion is:
i feel that hobbs should go after a modern day game coach who will bring more diversity ans 3 pont shooters here so we can compete at the next level. cvs is a hof coach and has been a good recruiter but she dosent mesh with the game as its played today
Agreed, she will coach till end of contract, unless health issues arise.
Also agree with waretown re: 3 point shooters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT