ADVERTISEMENT

D-1 Council has voted in favor of giving additional year of eligibility to winter athletes

Public service announcement:

the 2021 regionals
Brooklyn
Minneapolis
Memphis
Denver

2021 final four
Indianapolis

The 2022 regionals
Philadelphia
Chicago
San antonio
San Francisco

2022 final four
New Orleans

Reactions: MV9000
Wow, if that happens than Baker & Young should both be able to play again next year. Imagine if that happened.
Do you think that they would want to return to play and go to classes for two more semesters or play professionally somewhere?

Just a feeling Russ. I know he loves it at Rutgers and he could work as a grad student next season. I doubt he would play in the NBA but maybe he could. I know many fans would love to see Geo as a future coach at Rutgers. He is an outstanding leader.

More scholarships per team or decrease in number of recruits coming in to the programs ?

I can see Baker staying, though I think the odds are still highly against it. I don't see any way Young stays... this is already his fifth year in school because of the sit-out season.

Reactions: ILikePike
More scholarships per team or decrease in number of recruits coming in to the programs ?

If not more scholarships and if the players have the option of deciding whether to come back, then this could get messy. Not just in basketball but all winter sports.

I am anxious to see how this affects McConnell. If his rehab is completed near the end of the season, might he consider playing down the stretch? He would get the year of eligibility back one way or the other.

Reactions: ILikePike
Just a feeling Russ. I know he loves it at Rutgers and he could work as a grad student next season. I doubt he would play in the NBA but maybe he could. I know many fans would love to see Geo as a future coach at Rutgers. He is an outstanding leader.

The NBA isn't the only place to make money. There's the G-League and overseas, where ALOT of money is being made these days.

Reactions: Plum Street
Really? Instead of getting paid to play? Interesting.
We may have kids that may take 5 years to graduate or maybe take advantage of grad school and may opt not to play professionally. I don’t see any NBA players on last years roster and we know the team GPA is very high.

Many players playing overseas make very little compared to other jobs. It is not for everyone. At some point players must think about the rest of their lives.

I just read that the extra year for all winter athletes was approved by the NCAA. Now we must learn how this will work for scholarships going forward.

I just read that the extra year for all winter athletes was approved by the NCAA. Now we must learn how this will work for scholarships going forward.
And which schools can afford to pay for these "super senior" scholarships.

Every school is facing a huge budget deficit. Schools whose athletic department budgets have been operating in the red or just barely in the black may not be able to afford the extra year of scholarships.

This will get very interesting.

Reactions: ecojew

interesting question. That would have to be worked out, preferably in a way that would not affect the incoming recruits negatively.

I would hope baker and young stay . Get a masters degree and play ball another year . Take a run at the final four.

RU offers just about every program under the sun, so the options are numerous. And as someone mentioned, they may want to take a longer view toward the rest of their lives.

At the moment we only have 12 players on scholarship with Jalen Miller and Jaden Jones being oral commitments for next season. We have Geo and Jacob as seniors and Doucoure as a redshirt junior who will be in his 4th year. If everyone returned and the 2 newcomers would bring us to 14. Who knows how the NCAA will handle this going forward. Very possibly at least one guy might not return. I think we still are hoping to add another big guy. Maybe the NCAA will allow teams to go back to 15 on scholarship like it was for many years. I am sure any commitments will still be honored. Somehow it will probably all work out.

Actually chances for NBA would be better if they played 2 more seasons, for multiple reasons. Add that to the shot of a top 10 ranking, a deep tournament run, and a basketball starved RAC in 2021-2, I think it is very likely they stay..

Do you think that they would want to return to play and go to classes for two more semesters or play professionally somewhere?
And make what? $30k playing in some england or albanian league? Id rather stay in school. I never get why kids play in these low paying euro leagues.

The NBA isn't the only place to make money. There's the G-League and overseas, where ALOT of money is being made these days.
Whats alot of money? Because the majority of G leaguers make about $35k and most euro players make around the same or less. Its the equivalent financially of working a near minimum wage job

I agree. This is basically what I stated yesterday. Many European leagues pay very little when a person could make more in a job in our own country and preparing them for the rest of their life.

Whats alot of money? Because the majority of G leaguers make about $35k and most euro players make around the same or less. Its the equivalent financially of working a near minimum wage job

If you get paid at all in Europe .

Italy , France and Germany are fairly reliable in terms of their clubs paying the players.

Others are not.

Several of the Asian countries are supposed to be reliable as well .

But again not all.

And make what? $30k playing in some england or albanian league? Id rather stay in school. I never get why kids play in these low paying euro leagues.
That is low . I guess it depends on how long the season is . Play for 6 months and come back to the states and coach or train for the other 6z It’s enough to get by and do something they love I guess

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT