ADVERTISEMENT

Danger zone

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
There are lots of issues that have been “wrong” with the team that have been bandied about the last few days. Unfortunately in the Big Ten there is little time to fix them, and on the road at Maryland is a bad place to start. I sure hope I’m wrong - a two game losing streak and then NW becomes a “must win-“ which is not what this young team needs.

Reactions: RU677381
This is why just ONE win at Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Pitt or even the St Bonaventure game would have been SO helpful right now. Teams who really are deserving of the NCAA would have won ONE of these very winnable games. Not counting the Michigan state game as one of them.

This is why I get cranky when refs decide to take-over the show (i.e. the first 9 minutes of the 2nd half against Iowa). Margin for error is too small to overcome the opponent on the road and the whistles.

i am not a defeatist by any stretch, but I have @ MD penciled in as a loss...

would love to see us upset them, but this is a bad matchup for us.

looking fwd to eating some crow :)

Reactions: RUHouston
i am not a defeatist by any stretch, but I have @ MD penciled in as a loss...

would love to see us upset them, but this is a bad matchup for us.

looking fwd to eating some crow :)

Anyone thinking otherwise is nuts; a “W” down there would be a HUGE upset.

Reactions: fluoxetine
31-32 game regular season......all (maybe 90%) teams will go through periods where they don't click.

We will get through this. We will face teams in the middle of this type of a period too.

Not counting Caldwell, we went on a 6 game stretch where we played ridiculous defense.....since that stretch we have played 5 games where we have been good defensively, but not insane. Lost in all of this we have played our best offensive basketball, save Michigan game.

http://www.barttorvik.com/trank.php...1&top=0&quad=5&venue=All&type=All&mingames=0#

Since Jan 18th (5 games)
We are 46th offensively 112.6 OE
We are 52nd defensively 94.0 DE

Our bart ranking is 32nd since Jan 18th.

Reactions: BillyC80 and Scangg
This is why just ONE win at Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Pitt or even the St Bonaventure game would have been SO helpful right now. Teams who really are deserving of the NCAA would have won ONE of these very winnable games. Not counting the Michigan state game as one of them.

If RU only had a time machine and the ability to perform a do-overs.

2882728.jpg

Reactions: RUPete
31-32 game regular season......all (maybe 90%) teams will go through periods where they don't click.

We will get through this. We will face teams in the middle of this type of a period too.

Not counting Caldwell, we went on a 6 game stretch where we played ridiculous defense.....since that stretch we have played 5 games where we have been good defensively, but not insane. Lost in all of this we have played our best offensive basketball, save Michigan game.

http://www.barttorvik.com/trank.php...1&top=0&quad=5&venue=All&type=All&mingames=0#

Since Jan 18th (5 games)

Agreed, all teams go through funks. It would be great to bust out in a big way against Maryland, but that is the hardest game on the schedule so doesn't really kill us if we don't. Then we get Northwestern at home which is best case scenario to try to break out of a slump if we struggle at Maryland

Reactions: BillyC80
There are lots of issues that have been “wrong” with the team that have been bandied about the last few days. Unfortunately in the Big Ten there is little time to fix them, and on the road at Maryland is a bad place to start. I sure hope I’m wrong - a two game losing streak and then NW becomes a “must win-“ which is not what this young team needs.

NW was always a must Win, regardless of the Michigan loss imo.

The way I look at it, the rest of this season represents play-in tournament games for us. Each win is key, and we need 3-4 of them to get in.

RU is anything but a lock to get in imo. Hate to say it but probably a greater chance that we don’t get in, ha!

You guys will be fine in College Park. If you don't win, it will at least be competitive. Your team is good...

Things change quickly. Every school in the Big 10 has or will go through a rough patch. How teams respond will determine where everyone finishes. Penn State went through and now have won 4 in a row. OSU and Mich hit one now both seem like they might be getting things together. Wisky responded to adversity

The sky isnt falling if RU loses to the possible Big 10 champ in the road. Losing happens. Its RUs response in the week after. Dont freak out should we lose to Maryland even if its by 15-20 points

Not really true.The most glaring weakness is the inconsistent scoring by the players.

Id say the glaring weakness is the consistency of long scoring droughts especially in half court. The RU offense is getting scouted and figured out. Have to tweak things a bit because right now the offens is stale

Reactions: Scangg and RUJMM78
Funny how when posters on this board default Myles in foul trouble as the top key to the game. It is important - but Reality is free throw shooting and three point defense.

If we figured out early on Simpson driving and then dishing to an open shooter for three - we would have beaten Michigan.

Id say the glaring weakness is the consistency of long scoring droughts especially in half court. The RU offense is getting scouted and figured out. Have to tweak things a bit because right now the offens is stale
Its a combination problem running the half court offense efficiently also requires players to knock down shots on a consistent basis.Taking 86 shots against Michigan tells me there were too many shots taken because too few were made.This problem might not be improved upon until the next season recruits arrive.

Myles being on the floor is the key to the remaining games this season for me. The drop from 1 to 2 is stark - the drop from 2 to 3 is no longer an option IMO.

Since Jan 18th (5 games)

Felt like our defense took a hit during the Iowa game. Our shots were just falling at the start, and I think our players fell in love with the offense a bit too much. The defense hasn't been quite the same since.

Reactions: bac2therac
By most accounts we are a year ahead of schedule. At 16-6 we’ve seen the rapid emergence of our 4 sophomores plus the outstanding contribution by two veteran transfers.

Geo is having a down year from long range plus recovery from a broken thumb but he remains an important defender and leader who can make big shots for us. Shaq and Paul are capable backups.

We have a minimum of 10 games left and have to find a way to win 5 of them — 4 at home and 1 on a neutral court will help. I still think we’ll get one more win on the road, and I believe it can happen at MD.

Reactions: Scangg
this team played its best ball from a period from at Nebby to Minnesota at home. 4 wins in 5 games.

The program itself had very little pressure on it, no top 25 ranking and kept their head down working hard. After Minnesota expectations soared..top 25 rankings, ncaa projections, lots of distraction while this was going on guess what...break was over and school started adding to the stress. The last 4 games have seen 2 wins, but our two least impressive wins in league play and two competitive but off performances on the road.

I think after the Maryland game which leans toward a loss, the team will be at a crossroads not necessarily a danger zone. Its tourney push time. Teams that are for real step and perform, other teams fall by the wayside. 8 games to prove their case.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
IMHO A five day break after Maryland tomorrow night, combine with playing Northwestern at home, is the perfect “remedy” to get the train back on track :ThumbsUp

This is a major problem. The droughts are way too long. The offense gets stagnant. When we cant get anything going from the perimeter need to go inside to Myles or whoever else has a good matchup.

Not really true.The most glaring weakness is the inconsistent scoring by the players.

That is a problem too. But, we would have beaten Illinois if we didn’t shoot 37% from the line and miss the front end of a couple one-and-ones. Even against UM, Johnson’s 1 for 4 from the line was a killer in a game that was down to 2 points at the end.

some act like we are getting blown out --the panic as well as the over reaction when we lose or win is nonesense

In the last 72 hours we have added "Danger zone", "Things are off with us", and "So disappointed" to Lou's greatest hits collection.

I appreciate the passion but starting a new thread every time your heart sinks is no way to live! Enjoy the journey.

What is going on of late is quite clear, the guys have worked extremely hard in practice and in games and it has caught up with them. The season for 19 and 20 years old is brutal with practices, study and travel. The hard work has its down sides and this recent streak is an example.

Also, geo’s not fully recovered, Myles is becoming foul prone again, and Harper is not consistent from game to game. Truly the only players you can rely on day to day are McConnell, yeboah, and Mathis. They cannot carry the team.

What is going on of late is quite clear, the guys have worked extremely hard in practice and in games and it has caught up with them. The season for 19 and 20 years old is brutal with practices, study and travel. The hard work has its down sides and this recent streak is an example.

Also, geo’s not fully recovered, Myles is becoming foul prone again, and Harper is not consistent from game to game. Truly the only players you can rely on day to day are McConnell, yeboah, and Mathis. They cannot carry the team.

Your second paragraph has some validity. The first is a bunch of bunk - every team in the county is in that position so it's meaningless.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT