ADVERTISEMENT

Devil's Den: Thoughts on Wisc. and Ok.St.

jerzey devil

All American
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2004
125... Metzler... Good job Fri.night keeping it to a dec. But has to step up more physically if he wants to compete with a brawler like Picc… I like his skillset... But really need to see a lil more "Jersey Attitude" in his matches...

133... Suriano… Really only wanna talk about the match itself, and not all the other crap that went on...When 2 guys go into the match with the same attitude of waiting for the other to make a mistake... Does not make for exciting wrestling at all...Still hard to comprehend that almost 9 minutes on their feet didn't even produce at least 1 good scramble or flurry... From first whistle to where the first TB started, can safely say that the match didn't come close to living up to the hype... This match was basically headed to be decided by a few seconds of riding time... Which I don't think would be a fitting end for either of these 2!!

141... Lipari... Really a shame that he's 0-2 on the weekend as he didn't back down at all to 2 top quality wrestlers... But.. those guys are ranked for a reason... They win those matches....Lipari should come out of this weekend with a lot more confidence... Can it carry over to the next few weeks as the schedule does not get any easier!! He's shown he can compete... Now he's gotta step up, finish off and win some of these matches!!

149... Ashnault… I was not happy at all with Fri. night... He had that kid broke at end of 2nd.. That cant be a dec. or a major.. That has to be a tech!! As for yesterday.. I think he wrestled a much better 3rd period... He didn't just try to hang on to a lead.. He increased it against a very good wrestler... I really feel like he can win it all this year!! We've seen a different attitude for the most part from him this year... His only hiccups were 3rd period vs Jordan and Martin where he seemed to just hang on instead of finishing strong and leaving no doubt that not only can he beat the best at his weight!! But he can DOMINATE them!!

157.. JVB.. 2 good matches in a row for him... Has a very tough one coming up vs Iowa... Now is the time for him to make a statement that he will be a factor come March!!

165.. Olivieri/ Glasgow.. Olivieri did a great job of slowing the pace down and frustrating Wick.. He did exactly what he was sent out to do.. Keep it to a major... Glasgow... learned a real lesson yesterday... Cant try to hang on in D1... Gotta finish strong...

174... Grello… I thought he really stepped up after the first minute vs. a real, real, good wrestler... Again, I feel a lot of Grello's problems are mental.. He has shown flashes that he has the talent to compete vs. some of the better wrestlers... Now he has to BELIEVE he can win...I really feel like he is on the cusp... Also think he needs to get just a lil stronger!!

184... Gravina/ Scott... Nick is a warrior.. It really is a shame that his shoulder just cant stay healthy.. Scott has to definitely be feeling very sore today!! But kudos for wrestling with all he has, and never showing an ounce of quit... Would've been very easy to let that other shoulder go down...

197... Correnti… uggh… Looked very, very good up until the last minute yesterday... Against 2 quality wrestlers.. He stepped up and showed that he definitely isn't the same wrestler that began the season... Hopefully he can build off of this weekend and continue to improve..

285... Colucci.. For a wrestler who does not have much offense, he did a good job of competing against 2 top 10 wrestlers... Really needs to develop a takedown if he wants to go to NCAA's.. But again... He looks much improved since the beginning of the season...

Overall... Nevermind the refs, and that.. Was a great atmosphere for college wrestling in NJ!! As a team, hard to find moral victories when you lose a dual by 21 pts... But we weren't overwhelmed yesterday.. We fought hard in each match and didn't give up anything easy!! This was easily the best we wrestled as a team this weekend... We showed we can compete!! Now we have to show we can win!! But again... baby steps..

As coach has said, this program needs to progress from moral victories and start getting their hand raised.

With that said, I feel MUCH better going into the heart of the season with Grello and Correnti. They are starting to pick up the pace a bit and I like what I see from Correnti. However, he needed to close that match out yesterday.

JVB being JVB. It’s all about going on mini runs for him. Hope he has 2 left for B1G and nationals. Still love this kid.

Lipari is our 141. Didn’t get the wins but he’s a gamer.

Ashnault needs to be careful with the tilt. Love that he’s offensive this year but had a quick scare yesterday. Thankfully his hips and agility pulled through. However, can’t give up cheap reversals or TDs vs top guys.

Suriano. Go beat the hell out of DeSanto and show us some offense when you see Fix again.

Reactions: rondi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT