ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Carstensen

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
I would love someone to go back over the last 5 seasons and see our record when bald alien fish head is the ref in our games. He absolutely hates us. I’m pretty sure coaches/ADs in the Big Ten can request certain officials not get assigned their games. Don’t we have a quality control coach who can do this research and alert Pike? I mean it’s worse and worse every year. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a heavy losing record with him as ref, despite us not having a losing record in B1G play in the last 4 seasons.

Newsflash, it’s not the “last 6 minutes” of whatever game is on right now, its the last 5-7 years
DJ has probably worked more NCAA Tournament games in any one year than Rutgers has played in the whole 5–7-year stretch. He is at the top of his game. Rutgers mbb . . . not so much.

There are plenty of refs that are issues, but Top 50 referees in the Big Ten rotation like DJ are not the ones to complain about.

In fact, Rutgers is 13-12 in its last 25 games reffed by Carstensen (from the start of the 2019-2020 season through yesterday).

He's usually the kind of guy you want to see on the road, much like Bo Boroski was for years.

DJ has probably worked more NCAA Tournament games in any one year than Rutgers has played in the whole 5–7-year stretch. He is at the top of his game. Rutgers mbb . . . not so much.
He has had a particular bad whistle for Cliff this year and for Myles in prior years. He gives RU bigs no breaks and hardly ever calls contact as Cliff or when Myles was going to the basket. He has been particularly bad in Cliff’s last 3 games. He goes to the monitor yesterday and for some reason misses the elbow to the chops on Cliff. Cliff is taking a beating offensively and defensively. First play of the game yesterday , Cliff gets pushed in the back and Soddoko gets rebound and Hall converts. If Cliff did that he would have called it. Not loving seeing him walk on the court when RU is playing

There are plenty of refs that are issues, but Top 50 referees in the Big Ten rotation like DJ are not the ones to complain about.

In fact, Rutgers is 13-12 in its last 25 games reffed by Carstensen (from the start of the 2019-2020 season through yesterday).

He's usually the kind of guy you want to see on the road, much like Bo Boroski was for years.
Please tell me this is sarcasm and not serious. Are you his son?

Were you watching the game last night? After MSU took its first shot and missed, an MSU player got the offensive rebound by blatantly shoving Cliff toward the end line and grabbing the rebound. Somehow not one of this officiating crew noticed it. That immediately told me that MSU would be out-rebounding RU during this game. No surprise. I called it. If you doubt me, put on the replay. You cannot miss it; it is so obvious.

A short time later, Cliff goes up for a dunk and is mauled by the defender. Again these officials somehow missed it. Cliff is quickly called for a far less blatant foul and is forced to sit - advantage MSU.

Losing this game by almost 20 of course excuses the refs from responsibility for the loss. It does not excuse them from obvious favoritism for a Hall-of-Fame coach in an intimidating environment. Unfortunately some of these officials believe that players on traditional power teams are far less likely to commit fouls and call the games feeling that way.

Every time I see this guy walk on the floor, I know we are going to get the worst of his calls. I have been right most of the time. Pikiell may need to be more assertive to be sure, but maybe it is just that we are Rutgers, the perennial whipping boy.

Officiating is a difficult job, and I would likely suck at it worse than these guys. I commend them for taking the challenge. One would think they would be more capable than they seem to be though.

The interesting thing is that the fouls started to even out toward the end of the game, once the result was no longer in doubt.

It's so funny...me and my buddy were just discussing DJ.

I would actually say that for the first six to six and a half years of Pikes tenure he was by far the most neutral and best ref as it relates to rutgers. I will say that over the past year to a year and a half he seems to have f**ked some calls up against us (being kind)

I still think he is one of the better refs out there and hardly a guy I groan when I see. There are at least five or six guys who when I see I know we are going to get really screwed in the game

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I expected them to not call the flagrant foul on Cliff's injury when I saw he was in the ref huddle.

Reactions: tm_nj
It's so funny...me and my buddy were just discussing DJ.

I would actually say that for the first six to six and a half years of Pikes tenure he was by far the most neutral and best ref as it relates to rutgers. I will say that over the past year to a year and a half he seems to have f**ked some calls up against us (being kind)

I still think he is one of the better refs out there and hardly a guy I groan when I see. There are at least five or six guys who when I see I know we are going to get really screwed in the game
My brother and I were talking about DJ recently as well... and my brother pretty much said EXACTLY what you wrote!

DJ was fine for many years... but the last year or so it seems as if he's gone out of his way to screw RU in some manner.

He has had a particular bad whistle for Cliff this year and for Myles in prior years. He gives RU bigs no breaks and hardly ever calls contact as Cliff or when Myles was going to the basket. He has been particularly bad in Cliff’s last 3 games. He goes to the monitor yesterday and for some reason misses the elbow to the chops on Cliff. Cliff is taking a beating offensively and defensively. First play of the game yesterday , Cliff gets pushed in the back and Soddoko gets rebound and Hall converts. If Cliff did that he would have called it. Not loving seeing him walk on the court when RU is playing
Bad calls at particular points in the game or against important players can influence the entire game.

My brother and I were talking about DJ recently as well... and my brother pretty much said EXACTLY what you wrote!

DJ was fine for many years... but the last year or so it seems as if he's gone out of his way to screw RU in some manner.
Haha...your brother sounds incredibly smart and insightful!!! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Actually DJ is one of the friendlier refs on the circuit. Always says hi to me before each game

We actually got to know each other when I sat in 118 and I went ballistic on him when he called a foul on us in the last few seconds vs Wake costing us the game in the ACC challenge in Eddie s tenure.

DJ was so gracious that later in the year when he reffed a game at the RAC he intentionally spoke to me to tell me that his supervisor agreed with the call.

And yes he does acknowledge that he looks like the lead singer of Midnight Oil.

And refs who are not nice : Paul Szelc and Courtney Greene.

And refs who were actually nice guys : Teddy Valentine / Bo Borowski ( before his head swelled) / Larry Scirotto and Gene Steratore.

I will pay more attention to DJ s calls and will go ballistic on him again if need be.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT