ADVERTISEMENT

Do we think anyone leaves?

RUBABY15

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hate to bring this up, but Tez just waited a somewhat cryptic tweet, so was just curious to see if anyone sees someone from our core leaving?

Why, Pike might dub too much at times. He has long bench, I don't think any player is concern about their playing time but Kiss. No one outside the team knows that situation. Why would you leave this team now? You are about to get a couple of things this winter.

Why, Pike might dub too much at times. He has long bench, I don't think any player is concern about their playing time but Kiss. No one outside the team knows that situation. Why would you leave this team now? You are about to get a couple of things this winter.

The current roster players who could be concerned about minutes are Kiss and Doucoure, both of which already used a redshirt year. Kiss appeared in just 2 games for 13 minutes (none in conference), and Doucoure in 20 games for 110 minutes (61 min in 9 of 11 OOC games, 49 min in 11 of 20 conference games).

I don't think there's any pressure on either to leave, though, since I feel we're done recruiting for this cycle.
- Kiss could try to make a final press for some minutes on the court, or finish out his last year of eligibility here primarily as a practice player - either way, he'll walk out with a Rutgers degree. If he has interest in going the coaching route, this is is a great staff to learn from, too.
- Doucoure again looks to be the 3rd center in foul trouble situations, though maybe he starts to blossom this year. If he finishes out one more year at RU, he may also be able to go the grad transfer route after next year.

I think Doucore is more valuable than Kiss.

With his size he will be 5 fouls to give against bigger teams. Any team with 2 6 ft 10 guys starting will need guys who can defend them. We have Doucore, Myles, Cliff, and a couple of fresh that are around 6 ft 8.

Also, Cliff may not be ready for the big time minutes early in the season as he adjusts to the college game.

For Kiss, if he can find a way to graduate by this summer than he can be a grad transfer somewhere and play right away.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
I think Doucore is more valuable than Kiss.

With his size he will be 5 fouls to give against bigger teams. Any team with 2 6 ft 10 guys starting will need guys who can defend them. We have Doucore, Myles, Cliff, and a couple of fresh that are around 6 ft 8.

Also, Cliff may not be ready for the big time minutes early in the season as he adjusts to the college game.

For Kiss, if he can find a way to graduate by this summer than he can be a grad transfer somewhere and play right away.

As far as "5 fouls to give" at center, we have: Johnson (6-10, 255), Omoruyi (6-10, 230), Reiber (6-10, 230), Doucoure (6-9, 250), and also walk-on Nathan (6-11, 245). Then at PF, we also have Palmquist (6-8, 210), Mag (6-7, 215), and Harper (6-6, 245)

On the other hand Myles is long way from home, that might scare me too.

These are the four players who might possibly feel motivated to transfer, imo:
- Kiss, possibly a grad transfer somewhere that has a need for his skillset if he really wants to be a key cog in a rotation
- McConnell, possibly looking to be a primary PG/SG somewhere instead of trying to retool and fight for minutes against freshmen as a WF/SF. True sophomores are traditionally the biggest sit-out transfer risk, as they have 3 years to play 2 somewhere else.
- Doucoure, possibly trying to go somewhere he can have a shot at a year of 20+ min, but would be a 2 for 1 anywhere he went and probably more likely to stay a year and try a grad year somewhere else.
- Mathis, possibly looking to go somewhere he can consistently get 25+ min a game and not have to share the minutes so much at the guard spot. Also a true soph.

Beyond that? I just don't see anyone considering it, though who knows what goes on in the heads of 18-20 year olds.

Well if Rutgers hoops is like Rutgers football, a departure of our hoops captain to Michigan State would be lauded by the folks on this board like Jonah Jackson departing for Ohio State football.

On the other hand Myles is long way from home, that might scare me too.

Personally, I have a feeling that Johnson (and the fact that he's an Engineering major), might have been a strong influence on Omoruyi's decision to come here. I would be surprised if he left. He is probably the most integral part of next year's success, so I certainly hope not.

As far as "5 fouls to give" at center, we have: Johnson (6-10, 255), Omoruyi (6-10, 230), Reiber (6-10, 230), Doucoure (6-9, 250), and also walk-on Nathan (6-11, 245). Then at PF, we also have Palmquist (6-8, 210), Mag (6-7, 215), and Harper (6-6, 245)

Interestingly, someone - I believe it was Richie - said Reiber was really 6’8”, not the reported 6’ 10”. If true, makes us a little smaller or thinner at backup Center.

Can we not do this? You have zero clue whether that tweet is a lyric, joke, etc.
Doesn't sound like a joke or lyric to me. Sounds like every cryptic tweet I've ever seen that ends up with a decision we won't like. And it's been over 24 hours and he hasn't responded to any of the concerned replies hoping it's not about leaving RU. It sucks if he's thinking of leaving but this is the reality of college basketball today and we're not special from that standpoint. Hope it's nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Twister
This team is on the precipice of something special. If they don't want to stick around for that, there's nothing anyone can do or say to stop them. I'd rather win on a good team and be a small part than worry about how much I played. But not everyone feels that way.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
It's not always about playing time. You never know what's in someone's head or what someone is putting in his head. Again, hope it's nothing at all but everyone is dealing with stuff now.

His tweet could be about social distancing.
Bingo! The other lunatics that are thinking otherwise can just stop it . Our core is not going anywhere. This team is one of the tightest teams ever. No one of significance is leaving. Lock this thread because it is silly and unnecessary.

Don't forget, aside from Geo's thumb, we were very fortunate with injuries. The more depth the better. Guys leaving because they can't sniff the court is a GOOD thing. If Kiss and Doucoure can be replaced with capable players, show them the door.

Interestingly, someone - I believe it was Richie - said Reiber was really 6’8”, not the reported 6’ 10”. If true, makes us a little smaller or thinner at backup Center.

True. I'm just going by what was list on scarletknights.com with Reiber's signing, that he's 6-10/230. Lots of different services have him everywhere from 6-7 to 6-10, and 170 to 230 lbs. Have to wait until he gets on campus and weighs in to know for sure, which won't be until the fall.

Tez isn’t going anywhere. If you followed our core on social media these guys r best friends and love ru.

kiss is probably happening but it’s getting later and later in that process.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Unless Kiss wants to play D2 or D3 he isn’t going anywhere. He has one year of eligibility left and from everything I have seen he has never been listed as a graduating senior.

Unless Kiss wants to play D2 or D3 he isn’t going anywhere. He has one year of eligibility left and from everything I have seen he has never been listed as a graduating senior.
This is his fourth year in college. If he's on schedule to graduate, he'll be gone as graduate transfer like Yeboah left Stony Brook last year. If he wants to play basketball in college again you can be damn sure he's been doing everything he can to graduate so he can transfer.

This is his fourth year in college. If he's on schedule to graduate, he'll be gone as graduate transfer like Yeboah left Stony Brook last year. If he wants to play basketball in college again you can be damn sure he's been doing everything he can to graduate so he can transfer.
And who could blame him? Best of luck!

If I were him, I would purposely be 3 credits short of graduation, get a full ride and enjoy my time going to the tourney

Hate to say it but could Jaden Jones reconsider given COVID 19 etc being he’s from ST Louis. The world has changed big time from several weeks ago and hopefully this virus dies forever this summer. Many kids may change their plans / schools to be closer to home due to the Virus. As a parent , this factor would be significant to me in helping my kid decide on a school

Hate to say it but could Jaden Jones reconsider given COVID 19 etc being he’s from ST Louis. The world has changed big time from several weeks ago and hopefully this virus dies forever this summer. Many kids may change their plans / schools to be closer to home due to the Virus. As a parent , this factor would be significant to me in helping my kid decide on a school
Just stop. Why are we just looking for anything bad. This will be long over by the time Jones gets here.

For the love of our program I hope the guys have better things to do than read this board and this thread but you guys are idiots, this thread should be deleted immediately. Our guys are such a “team” like I’ve never seen before and all love each other and RU and this entire thread is insulting. Complete garbage @Richard Schnyderite this is like hosting the “ hot or not “ list in a high school. No need

Jones is from Houston and has been all over the country. I’m not sure his parents live in St Louis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT