ADVERTISEMENT

Do we want Ohio state to lose?

Exactly.
8-0 isn't that much different than 7-1 (with a loss to a Top 10 PSU)?

Even if OSU beats PSU but loses to Wisconsin it shouldn't matter.
Wisconsin is a juggernaut and going to easily win the West (allegedly....).
No shame in losing to them.
How is Wisconsin going to easily win the West? They just lost to Iowa!

I do NOT want Ohio State to lose to Penn State. The only time I would want that to happen would be if an OSU loss is needed for Rutgers to make the conference title game. That's not this season. Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State are winning the East. I'd rather it be OSU first, then Michigan, but not PSU.

OSU losing to Wisconsin before they come to play us? I'd rather they come into town off a W than an L. Easily. More hype for our game, more chance of them feeling overconfident.
Yes, the only time I would root for Penn state is under a scenario you describe

I want Ohio State to lose to us... especially if they are undefeated coming in.

That said, not going to happen.

But would be ****ing awesome if it were to happen.

Been enough of that already. lol Believe me though, team is focused on Indiana and OSU is not even a thought in their heads...
I find that if the Fans are thinking ahead, the players probably are as well.
I know they say they dont, but they are human.
So talk like this just makes me nervous.

If we were Michigan or PSU- maybe our team may be peaking at the OSU game coming up. Believe me when I tell you this- not a single player on our team is thinking about OSU right now.

Exactly.
8-0 isn't that much different than 7-1 (with a loss to a Top 10 PSU)?

Even if OSU beats PSU but loses to Wisconsin it shouldn't matter.
Wisconsin is a juggernaut and going to easily win the West (allegedly....).
No shame in losing to them.
Didn’t Wisconsin just lose to Iowa 15-6?
Yes , players do look ahead… they know who , when and where an opponent is on their schedule. It would be foolish to think otherwise. How they approach practice and view film of that team matters. It is the staff who needs to put them in the proper mindset. Not us fans.

@WhiteBus @RUBOB72
Oh - my bad.
I was just repeating what many people said after we lost to them.
As you correctly point out, haven't seen many of those justifications after they lost to Iowa.

Iowa who I believe many said was the worst of the Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa collective.

Didn’t Wisconsin just lose to Iowa 15-6?

Yes , players do look ahead… they know who , when and where an opponent is on their schedule. It would be foolish to think otherwise. How they approach practice and view film of that team matters. It is the staff who needs to put them in the proper mindset. Not us fans.
It would be asinine to look ahead as a player now . Indiana represents accomplishing your season goal of gettting to a bowl

Reactions: RUBOB72
The more I hear and read interviews with today's athletes, I really think they spend their time in a focused bubble. Many of them don't even watch other games during their downtime. They are fixated on their prep and the job they have to do.

There will always be a human element and sometimes a moment can become too big for some athletes and teams once a game arrives, but in the lead-up, what we post and say doesn't really impact them.

@WhiteBus @RUBOB72
Oh - my bad.
As you correctly point out, haven't seen many of those justifications after they lost to Iowa.

Iowa who I believe many said was the worst of the Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa collective.
Wisky lost their QB in the first half of the game. I think he’s done for the season and so I doubt they will challenge now for the title. Could’ve been a different game entirely if we played a back up. We were so close to getting the sack so many times in that game as it was.

Another reason you don't want Ohio State to lose is also the reason you don't want Michigan to lose before they meet up on November 25. That is such a big deal for the Big Ten. Always THE game of the year!

@WhiteBus @RUBOB72
Oh - my bad.

Wisconsin's qb broke his hand in the Iowa game.

They play Penn state and Wisconsin before coming to Pway.
I think it would be good if they lose one of those and make them more vulnerable for what @rutgersal is deeming pandemonium in piscataway II

The correct answer is, if just thinking solely about the Rutgers-Ohio State game, I believe it would be best if Ohio State lost both of their next two games. Their goals for the season (Big Ten championship and College Football Playoff), would be over. They may be less interested at that point.

They are probably very unlikely to lose to Wisconsin without the Wisc QB Mordecai. Probably most important then, to have Ohio State have two very physical close-as-possible games, and likely matters a lot less whether they win both or lose one.

We need OSU to be undefeated and thinking they just have to show up to beat us. If they have one loss and their playoff hopes are hanging by a thread, they will be very focused on not only winning but RUTS.

The correct answer is, if just thinking solely about the Rutgers-Ohio State game, I believe it would be best if Ohio State lost both of their next two games. Their goals for the season (Big Ten championship and College Football Playoff), would be over. They may be less interested at that point.
This is arguably better than them coming in with 0 losses, but it's an extremely unlikely scenario. The PSU game may be a toss up, but they will crush Wisconsin.

The more I hear and read interviews with today's athletes, I really think they spend their time in a focused bubble. Many of them don't even watch other games during their downtime. They are fixated on their prep and the job they have to do.

There will always be a human element and sometimes a moment can become too big for some athletes and teams once a game arrives, but in the lead-up, what we post and say doesn't really impact them.
Most of the guys I knew on the teams either spent their off time listening to music, watching movies, watching basketball or playing madden. Outside of game film, very rarely would you see the guys all up and excited to watch another damn football game. And during game week, I have never heard anyone talk like this "hey, imagine if we win this week and after the bye week, we got OSU coming in and if we can beat them..."

Reactions: RUPete
@WhiteBus @RUBOB72
Oh - my bad.

I think most said we played well and lost to a good Wisc team that is most likely going to win the west. And many did give us the best chance of beating Iowa out of those 3 teams.

I am not thinking that has really changed all that much. And I don't think anyone came away thinking Wisc was any sort of powerhouse but they are a good team.

BTW- was just looking at Iowa's schedule- damn, that is as easy as it gets in the B1G. Their cross over games are PSU- who clubbed them. Mich St and us. We would have a legit chance of anywhere from 7-10 wins with their schedule.

Wisky lost their QB in the first half of the game. I think he’s done for the season and so I doubt they will challenge now for the title. Could’ve been a different game entirely if we played a back up. We were so close to getting the sack so many times in that game as it was.
Coulda woulda shoulda? Iowa’s D can win games without scoring on offense. Lot’s of respect there.

I think Iowa gets disrespected because they win "ugly" as it's perceived in today's offense-oriented game. People see a 15-6 win and they think that Sam Huff and Chuck Bednarik just went at it. But the bottom line is that 15 is more than 6 and 6-1 looks pretty good too.

I think Iowa gets disrespected because they win "ugly" as it's perceived in today's offense-oriented game. People see a 15-6 win and they think that Sam Huff and Chuck Bednarik just went at it. But the bottom line is that 15 is more than 6 and 6-1 looks pretty good too.
Exactly spot on...

As For the OSU Penn St. Game it would be nice if they could both lose, failing that, probably be better if OSU won.

Coulda woulda shoulda? Iowa’s D can win games without scoring on offense. Lot’s of respect there.

Exactly spot on...
Agree with all of this...and on the other hand- it makes their margin of error so much smaller.
On the other hand- don't over look our defense either. We give up 1 more point per game but 48 less yds. Keeping in mind that the reason for giving up 1 more point per game and so many fewer yards is because of 2 pick 6's and 2 fumbled punts inside the 10.

Why is it we don't want to give our defense much credit. But drool over Iowa's?

One thing has nothing to do with the other. The point I was making is that Mordecai churned out +50 yards against us. If you put a less shifty QB back there some of those plays are going to turn out different. Maybe it will turn out that Locke is a shifty runner too and Iowa is just amazing on D. I don’t think he’s known for his running ability though. We really struggle with QBs who can run for some reason.

Agree with all of this...and on the other hand- it makes their margin of error so much smaller.
On the other hand- don't over look our defense either. We give up 1 more point per game but 48 less yds. Keeping in mind that the reason for giving up 1 more point per game and so many fewer yards is because of 2 pick 6's and 2 fumbled punts inside the 10.

Why is it we don't want to give our defense much credit. But drool over Iowa's?
I don’t short change our D since we should have beaten Iowa two times since joining the B1G. But they have pretty much been this type of D/O under Ferentz. We would love to have their program’s football history .

One thing has nothing to do with the other. The point I was making is that Mordecai churned out +50 yards against us. If you put a less shifty QB back there some of those plays are going to turn out different. Maybe it will turn out that Locke is a shifty runner too and Iowa is just amazing on D. I don’t think he’s known for his running ability though. We really struggle with QBs who can run for some reason.
I saw something very promising in the Mich St game...Their QB started the game able to run at will up the middle on draws against our Defense. We made the adjustments needed to shut him down and it no longer became a factore.

You keep moving the goalposts on what the Defense of Iowa is and telling me don’t short change our D…. HaHaHa just not the game Saturday.

Comparing the Iowa/Wisc game to our game against them, we did give up 30 more yards, but then again our offense equaled that out. The 30 yard difference was a big part Wisc QB running the ball.
But the difference in why Iowa won the game and we lost ours could be that they were flagged for 7 penalties against Iowa and only 2 against us.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
BTW- was just looking at Iowa's schedule- damn, that is as easy as it gets in the B1G. Their cross over games are PSU- who clubbed them. Mich St and us. We would have a legit chance of anywhere from 7-10 wins with their schedule.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Maybe Ryan Day will pick a fight with Paterno's corpse after they beat Penn St. Like he did with Lou Holtz's corpse. Then Jo Pa's ghost will jinx them.

You keep moving the goalposts on what the Defense of Iowa is and telling me don’t short change our D…. HaHaHa just not the game Saturday.

No dude. I literally meant to say nothing whatsoever about Iowa. That was my point in saying what I said. Maybe their awesome D was what stopped the back up QB and he’ll go on to put up huge numbers for Wisconsin on the ground going forward. I doubt it as usually a starter wins the job for a reason, but at this point there’s only half a game’s worth of data out there on the back up kid. No way to know. Who cares? The post wasn’t about Iowa.

My only point was that the starting Wisconsin QB that played the whole game against Rutgers University and rushed for 50 yards against us is likely out for the rest of the season. I personally think we would’ve had a better chance against the back up. Most of us would’ve signed up to play Wisconsin without Mordechai if given the choice.

Comparing the Iowa/Wisc game to our game against them, we did give up 30 more yards, but then again our offense equaled that out. The 30 yard difference was a big part Wisc QB running the ball.
But the difference in why Iowa won the game and we lost ours could be that they were flagged for 7 penalties against Iowa and only 2 against us.
It wasn’t just the yardage. Multiple times, we were so close to getting to Mordechai for a big loss on 3rd down but instead he scrambled for the first down to keep the drive going. Those runs really hurt us.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
No dude. I literally meant to say nothing whatsoever about Iowa. That was my point in saying what I said. Maybe their awesome D was what stopped the back up QB and he’ll go on to put up huge numbers for Wisconsin on the ground going forward. I doubt it as usually a starter wins the job for a reason, but at this point there’s only half a game’s worth of data out there on the back up kid. No way to know. Who cares? The post wasn’t about Iowa.

My only point was that the starting Wisconsin QB that played the whole game against Rutgers University and rushed for 50 yards against us is likely out for the rest of the season. I personally think we would’ve had a better chance against the back up. Most of us would’ve signed up to play Wisconsin without Mordechai if given the choice.
Dude? 🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫 when you say “ I literally meant to say nothing about Iowa” it means you actually did. Now maybe I should tell you Dude… I couldn’t give crap. Their D wins without scoring .I don’t know if we are at that point yet.

Dude? 🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫 when you say “ I literally meant to say nothing about Iowa” it means you actually did. Now maybe I should tell you Dude… I couldn’t give crap. Their D wins without scoring .I don’t know if we are at that point yet.
My original post was not about Iowa at all. It was about Rutgers having a better chance not having Mordechai there and my comment was that maybe the outcome would’ve been different if we played against a back up instead who wasn’t able to scramble for those first downs. You responded with would’ve should’ve and brought up Iowa’s defense. I only mentioned Iowa in response to your post. My original comment had nothing whatsoever to do with Iowa. They have a great D and probably would’ve won the game whether Mordechai got hurt or not. Perhaps that’s a better way of putting it. I was comparing Rutgers D with Mordechai to Rutgers D against the same team with someone less mobile at QB.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Dude!

Dude.jpg

My original post was not about Iowa at all. It was about Rutgers having a better chance not having Mordechai there and my comment was that maybe the outcome would’ve been different if we played against a back up instead who wasn’t able to scramble for those first downs. You responded with would’ve should’ve and brought up Iowa’s defense. I only mentioned Iowa in response to your post. My original comment had nothing whatsoever to do with Iowa. They have a great D and probably would’ve won the game whether Mordechai got hurt or not. Perhaps that’s a better way of putting it. I was comparing Rutgers D with Mordechai to Rutgers D against the same team with someone less mobile at QB.
Are you the poster who posted” don’t shortchange our defense”… could have sworn that was you . No issue with our D but Iowa’s D may be just a as better.?

Are you the poster who posted” don’t shortchange our defense”… could have sworn that was you . No issue with our D but Iowa’s D may be just a as better.?
I don’t think I said that in any string, but 100% not in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT