ADVERTISEMENT

Does Greg finally have a Big 10 staff

You are an awfully patient fan with 2-3 seasons. Maybe posted above, but interesting poll (who knows how many are fans). 6-6 should get him in contention for coach of year.

see this is the issue, people are still ok with giving him 2-3 seasons more and he's shown zero to deserve even 1 more

see this is the issue, people are still ok with giving him 2-3 seasons more and he's shown zero to deserve even 1 more
See, this is THE issue, people are ok saying "he's shown zero to deserve even 1 more."

See how that works, but rather than just attack back, let's look at the facts.

2020- decent year, but a covid year, so how much stock do we put in it.
2021- another decent year, considering the state of the program when Greg took over and recruiting being limited by covid.
2022- A disappointing year. On the negative front, should they have had added another QB (hindsight, yes), and firing of Gleeson mid-season. On the front of stuff happens, give another chance, who could have foreseen both Noah and Gavin getting injured very early in the season? So, firing the OC and working an inexperienced QB contributed to a bad season. When Gavin came back, his run threat was limited, and we were playing the toughest part of our schedule. Injuries to Sam Brown and loss of key defensive players at LB and DE certainly did not help either. Obviously, the team needed (and always needs) depth that was not there.

Yeah, excuses, excuses. If you have ever spent any time around the team, the coaches, the Hale Center or around Greg, you can tell the program is being rebuilt after years of neglect. Everyone wants to point to seasons like Mel Tucker's first season (not so great in season 2), or Leipold's (season 2), or pointing to Coach Prime at Colorado (pump the brakes), but IMHO, RU is not going to turn things around with a guy like Coach Prime because we do not have a mega donor or a bunch of donors willing to throw NIL cash out to do a full rebuild of the roster.

In summary, three years is way too soon to make a decision. Year 4? That depends. 5-7 or better (and 3-9 or better in B1G) is showing progress. Another 3-9/1-8 year with blowouts by Northwestern, Indiana or Maryland may be cause for a very warm or hot seat.

Reactions: Plum Street
Took me until just now to realize the great innuendo opportunities the thread title presented. I must be getting dementia or something. Can't believe I missed that. 😕

See, this is THE issue, people are ok saying "he's shown zero to deserve even 1 more."

2021- another decent year, considering the state of the program when Greg took over and recruiting being limited by covid.
2022- A disappointing year. On the negative front, should they have had added another QB (hindsight, yes), and firing of Gleeson mid-season. On the front of stuff happens, give another chance, who could have foreseen both Noah and Gavin getting injured very early in the season? So, firing the OC and working an inexperienced QB contributed to a bad season. When Gavin came back, his run threat was limited, and we were playing the toughest part of our schedule. Injuries to Sam Brown and loss of key defensive players at LB and DE certainly did not help either. Obviously, the team needed (and always needs) depth that was not there.

Yeah, excuses, excuses. If you have ever spent any time around the team, the coaches, the Hale Center or around Greg, you can tell the program is being rebuilt after years of neglect. Everyone wants to point to seasons like Mel Tucker's first season (not so great in season 2), or Leipold's (season 2), or pointing to Coach Prime at Colorado (pump the brakes), but IMHO, RU is not going to turn things around with a guy like Coach Prime because we do not have a mega donor or a bunch of donors willing to throw NIL cash out to do a full rebuild of the roster.

In summary, three years is way too soon to make a decision. Year 4? That depends. 5-7 or better (and 3-9 or better in B1G) is showing progress. Another 3-9/1-8 year with blowouts by Northwestern, Indiana or Maryland may be cause for a very warm or hot seat.
Thanks for pointing out that Greg’s best seasons since he returned was with Ash’s players in 2020 and 2021.

Yet fans talk about how the program is better when we won 1 conference game last season.

AZ
GS rebuild logic for sucker fans: "Every new year is Year 1 of the balance of my contract."

GS Postgame: "Credit to Temple. They outplayed us. Our team is young, the season is young, and we didn't turn the ball over. All positives. Now if you will please excuse me, I've got to get to the bank to deposit another million."

GS may not get us there but not much can be done about it at the moment. If you hate the situation which is out of your control so much why not just take a break from RU Football instead of continually spending all your time trolling other fans who are trying to just talk about the team?

Recruiting has definitely been better under GS than Chris Ash who primarily recruited non P5 talent. Is current recruiting good enough to make a significant move up the big ten ladder probably not, but it is closer to being competitive with the middle of the Big Ten pack. If you look at the current commits the only teams that have more than one 4 star are the usuals Michigan, OSU, PSU, and Wisc. Everyone else has one or none. Admittedly comparisons at this point are premature but there is a definite hierarchy in place.
What clearly helps recruiting is winning, the portal provides an opportunity but winning and cash are absolutely required to get involved with the kids who could be difference makers nobody enters the portal to become a program builder.

Thanks for pointing out that Greg’s best seasons since he returned was with Ash’s players in 2020 and 2021.

Yet fans talk about how the program is better when we won 1 conference game last season.
Maybe Greg's coaching and strength and conditioning coaches did a better job, or that the players were more experienced and adapted to the rigor of a B1G schedule? Maybe we can expect quicker gains and adaption with Greg's recruits getting them started at freshman year.

Maybe Ash should have stayed 😉
Or Greg used Ash's player's experience to the fullest while his recruits
still needed to be developed when they took over the bulk of playing time.

you are myopic and completely unrealistic. His body of work sucks, this isn't even debatable. He doesn't deserve more time, he deserves a pay reduction or a firing

you are myopic and completely unrealistic. His body of work sucks, this isn't even debatable. He doesn't deserve more time, he deserves a pay reduction or a firing
I’m gonna start a pool that guesses how many times you attack GS by December 31. Closest guess without going over wins a free week of hookers and blow.

No, you cannot participate. Nice try, though. 🙂

Which is less than Schiano will make in the same amount of time. So does that help you understand how outrageous his salary is relative to his resul
So what's your solution? You can say all that you want that he shouldn't have received the contract that he did....but he did. Nothing anyone says changes that fact. It would stand to reason that the person you should have the problem with is Hobbs, not Greg. If you were AD would you fire him and eat all that money??
As I've said many times before I was and still am a GS supporter but this is a key year for progress. Progress for me is being at least 5-7 with none of the Maryland/Minnesota fiascos. As I mentioned earlier last years two impact recruits played a total of half a season between the two.
If we continue to get blown out by teams that we should be competitive with (Maryland) then I'll be concerned.

Which is less than Schiano will make in the same amount of time. So does that help you understand how outrageous his salary is relative to his results ?
You’re just jealous I didn’t start a pool for you. Sorry, but 95 is breaking Rivals records in being a broken record. You’re gonna need to up your GS attacking game if you want a pool.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Not jealous. Does Al get to have a nationwide all-rivals pool for asininity ? No matter how high the O/U I’ll take the over. Easy money.

So what's your solution? You can say all that you want that he shouldn't have received the contract that he did....but he did. Nothing anyone says changes that fact. It would stand to reason that the person you should have the problem with is Hobbs, not Greg. If you were AD would you fire him and eat all that money??
As I've said many times before I was and still am a GS supporter but this is a key year for progress. Progress for me is being at least 5-7 with none of the Maryland/Minnesota fiascos. As I mentioned earlier last years two impact recruits played a total of half a season between the two.
If we continue to get blown out by teams that we should be competitive with (Maryland) then I'll be concerned.
There’s is no solution. That’s the crux of the problem. The contract is the gift that keeps on giving (to the rest of the conference).

Yet although no solution, harping on what should be obvious may convince thousands of blind fans to eventually force his ouster a year early.

There’s is no solution. That’s the crux of the problem. The contract is the gift that keeps on giving (to the rest of the conference).

Yet although no solution, harping on what should be obvious may convince thousands of blind fans to eventually force his ouster a year early.
As I've mentioned before that this year is a huge benchmark. Getting to 6-6 will be very tough. See my other thread on B1G 10 O/U win totals that I posted a few minutes ago. We play the top 5 teams in the conference this year.

Reactions: Knight Shift

That's not how it works. You lodge all sorts of criticisms and this is you solution? 😂

Coles - by definition, the schedule will never be easy for bottom feeders. That’s what we are with GS. Do you remember saying we would only schedule Wagner once ? Instead, We will continue to play Wagner because below them are D3 teams and not even Schiano can spin those opponents as legit.

Do you remember saying we would only schedule Wagner once ?
Yes I do remember that I said that but you neglect to mention that I admitted that I was wrong on that one and posted to that effect. Not sure why you're bringing that up here but I think I dare to say that there have been a few things you've said that turned out to be wrong too. :) :) :)

in a nutshell

Greg is awful, nothing we can do and sadly, the fans are ok with it which is one of many reasons we continue to suck

in a nutshell

Greg is awful, nothing we can do and sadly, the fans are ok with it which is one of many reasons we continue to suck

So your mal-intention here is to harass and denigrate other fans on this board because you are unhappy about something out of your control. How very "stomp your feet 5 year old tantrum" of you both.

Last edited:
So your mal-intention here is to harass and denigrate other fans on this board because you are unhappy about something out of your control. How very "stomp your feet 5 year old tantrum" of you both.
lol you're not very bright are you

Read this thread and tell us what you see

There is a big problem with the contract/pay for results arguement. No coaach works under those conditions. So if you are brought in to rebuild a program which is the standard rationale you should work for nothing until you win? What's a reasonable amount of time to rebuild who decides. Ok you relieve GS early for lack of performance , you still owe him the balance of the contract. Since he is the lowest paid FB coach in the B10, what do you pay the next guy through the door guarantee you it will be more, will that beat any of the top four or five teams in the conference in the next 2-3 years, unlikely.
I don't like where we are, I think GS made major mistakes putting a staff together that did not move the program forward in a timely manner.
But show a little understanding of the issues and offer some constructive criticism if
You are a RU fan.

Reactions: Knight Shift
We need to stop worrying about about the fence around the Garden State. If were going to be in the B1G 10 we have to continue to grow our national recruiting base.
There have been some inroads made in the Midwest but we need to get heavy back into FL and the South for those skill positions.
I agree.

Greg doesn't understand this, evidenced by the fact he hired Augie and kept Nunzio on the staff.

The 2024 Rivals250 ranking of high school football players includes one New Jersey player and none from New York state. This is Rutgers recruiting backyard.

Next door, Pennsylvania has nine players on the list and New England, where high school football is less popular than the rest of the country, features four players on the Rivals250 list.

Rutgers has done well recruiting in Pennsylvania but less so recently. None of the 2023 and 2024 Top50 commits are coming to Rutgers. Most are headed to Penn State.

Florida has 45 players on the 2024 Rivals 250 list, compared to New York's zero, yet the states have similar populations. Two Miami public high schools have more players on the list the every high school in New Jersey and New York combined.

How does Rutgers extend its recruiting reach to the Southeast? If Rutgers wants to compete in the B1G, Greg must land top 250 recruits from outside New Jersey and New York.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUAir-Raid
I think GS does get the recruiting geography, he hired Hoffman and kept Nunzio on staff, problem being neither one of them delivered on the North Jersey recruiting circuit, so you end up with two mediocre recruiters, who's only coaching experience is at the H.S. Level, double whammy. So what might have been a good idea went south in a hurry, they both lasted way too long.
You are tight about recruiting beyond NJ and GS should still have strong ties to Fl. First time around he literally had 20-30 kids from FL on his early rosters. There are at least 5x more P5 recruits in Fl than in Nj and NY, cant figure out why he moved away from his own model, other than he should have hired some assistant coaches that knew and recruited Fl well (College Ass'ts)

Reactions: Fat Koko
No, I’m sure he does understand that. The issue is not that he’s limiting recruiting to the state or region.

The issue is that no talented skill guys from here or anywhere else want to come play for a guy who runs a 1930 offense, nor should they.

If you were a top player, would you come here ? Of course not. Schiano’s reputation and results torpedo recruiting offense.

Skill players want good stats and want to score. That’s not Schiano’s philosophy. He wants to punt and rely on the D and STs to win the games for him.

Can this guy atleast

🤔 maybe if you are desperate for talent, you don't let Fran Brown out the door. A smart coach gives Fran the DC job, a loser coach - let's him walk, and suffers from dud recruiting classes
Wrong. A short sided coach gives him the DC job which he never did and wasn’t even a great CBS coach. A great recruiter yes. A smart coach does what Greg did. Hire an established DC who to me did a heck of a job in year one running a defense that had to be on the field waaaayyyy more than probably 95% of the defenses in the country!

I agree.

Greg doesn't understand this, evidenced by the fact he hired Augie and kept Nunzio on the staff.

The 2024 Rivals250 ranking of high school football players includes one New Jersey player and none from New York state. This is Rutgers recruiting backyard.

Next door, Pennsylvania has nine players on the list and New England, where high school football is less popular than the rest of the country, features four players on the Rivals250 list.

Rutgers has done well recruiting in Pennsylvania but less so recently. None of the 2023 and 2024 Top50 commits are coming to Rutgers. Most are headed to Penn State.

Florida has 45 players on the 2024 Rivals 250 list, compared to New York's zero, yet the states have similar populations. Two Miami public high schools have more players on the list the every high school in New Jersey and New York combined.

How does Rutgers extend its recruiting reach to the Southeast? If Rutgers wants to compete in the B1G, Greg must land top 250 recruits from outside New Jersey and New York.
Have you seen the distribution of the last two classes, or do you just like to scream about stuff that does not exist?

There is a big problem with the contract/pay for results arguement. No coaach works under those conditions. So if you are brought in to rebuild a program which is the standard rationale you should work for nothing until you win? What's a reasonable amount of time to rebuild who decides. Ok you relieve GS early for lack of performance , you still owe him the balance of the contract. Since he is the lowest paid FB coach in the B10, what do you pay the next guy through the door guarantee you it will be more, will that beat any of the top four or five teams in the conference in the next 2-3 years, unlikely.
I don't like where we are, I think GS made major mistakes putting a staff together that did not move the program forward in a timely manner.
But show a little understanding of the issues and offer some constructive criticism if
You are a RU fan.
that's bs
problem with not having that is people rest on laurels and it hamstrings a program

ok, give a 10yr guaranteed contract where the financial incentives are reworked after each season. problem solved

No, I’m sure he does understand that. The issue is not that he’s limiting recruiting to the state or region.

The issue is that no talented skill guys from here or anywhere else want to come play for a guy who runs a 1930 offense, nor should they.

If you were a top player, would you come here ? Of course not. Schiano’s reputation and results torpedo recruiting offense.

Skill players want good stats and want to score. That’s not Schiano’s philosophy. He wants to punt and rely on the D and STs to win the games for him.

He WANTS to punt? Lol We haven’t had an OL (that’s changing) or an accurate qB (hopefully GW improves this year) admittedly the QB situation was partially his fault for putting all his eggs in one basket. So if I want to get on Greg for that sure. Otherwise everyone was expecting too much in the BIG east division.

The thing that kills is how our Ofeense was sooo bad with ash and then jumped with Gleason in year one. So everyone assumed year two we would climb but I think the gimmick offense was understood and we went flying backwards. This is year 4 people. (I’m the BIG east!). We lose the Big east next year.

Give him this and next (kirks second year of an installed offense ) before we make judgement.

The recruiting is going well this year and seems like will get even better news shortly with friends from NY to follow.

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95

Would Greg ever allow the air raid offense to be installed on his watch? Many wanted Phil Longo, New Jersey, for the offensive coordinator role. Phil can install the air raid but balances passing with the run game. Wonder if Greg really pursued Phil

Phil went to Wisconsin for $1.25 million. Greg hired Kirk for $1.4 million. So Greg could have offered Phil the $$.

I might head to Madison, Wisconsin, on October 7th to see the Rutgers-Wisconsin game. Will be interesting to compare the offenses.

He WANTS to punt? Lol We haven’t had an OL (that’s changing) or an accurate qB (hopefully GW improves this year) admittedly the QB situation was partially his fault for putting all his eggs in one basket. So if I want to get on Greg for that sure. Otherwise everyone was expecting too much in the BIG east division.

The thing that kills is how our Ofeense was sooo bad with ash and then jumped with Gleason in year one. So everyone assumed year two we would climb but I think the gimmick offense was understood and we went flying backwards. This is year 4 people. (I’m the BIG east!). We lose the Big east next year.

Give him this and next (kirks second year of an installed offense ) before we make judgement.

The recruiting is going well this year and seems like will get even better news shortly with friends from NY to follow.
Actually yes. The strategy WAS to punt. Proved by ultra-basic play calling. Great punter, decent D and scant talent on O. Unfortunately that strategy worked against Temple with a defensive TD in the 2 point win so he stuck with the same strategy the remainder of the season. Plus at the time with almost 6 full seasons left on the contract he didn't much care about the record.

Had we lost to Temple with the 1940 game plan he might have changed his game plans. Would have been better in the long run.

Would Greg ever allow the air raid offense to be installed on his watch? Many wanted Phil Longo, New Jersey, for the offensive coordinator role. Phil can install the air raid but balances passing with the run game. Wonder if Greg really pursued Phil

Phil went to Wisconsin for $1.25 million. Greg hired Kirk for $1.4 million. So Greg could have offered Phil the $$.

I might head to Madison, Wisconsin, on October 7th to see the Rutgers-Wisconsin game. Will be interesting to compare the offenses.
Or it might be sickening.

I will be there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT