ADVERTISEMENT

Dropkick Murphys “Boston” song

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Dropkick Murphys “Boston” I like the song. Not gonna lie. But if I ever hear that song in our stadium again, let alone every five minutes, I’m going to absolutely lose my mind. Am I the only one who feels this way? I’m pretty sure I heard it somewhere between 7 and 10 times today in the stadium. What the ****?

Well that's how our sound selection works: if someone else is doing it, we should do it too. I wonder when we'll hear Sweet Caroline.
Listen, I don’t care about doing songs that other schools do, but there there’s no way in hell the state university of New Jersey should ever be playing that song let alone playing it nonstop. Who the **** came up with that idiotic idea?

Sounds a bit nuts to go after some employee over stuff like this.....

..but it is not nuts. It is perfectly reasonable. The least everyone deserves is an explanation.

Reactions: RUScrew85
A lot of things made my ears bleed today. The PA announcer was so over the top it was ridiculous. Did someone tell him he needed to be LOUDER and more ANNOYING this year?? Announcing the down and yards at inhuman decibels. Between the incredible noise and length of the games, all the fun is being sucked out of the experience of attending in person.

Sounds a bit nuts to go after some employee over stuff like this.....

..but it is not nuts. It is perfectly reasonable. The least everyone deserves is an explanation.
No no no, I don’t want anybody to lose their job, I’m sorry if I came off that way. But, let’s be realistic, this song should not be played at all in our stadium let alone time and time again.

Literally one of my favorite bands ever
Let me check.. did you also like Cheap Trick and Kansas? ELO? Of course you did.. you had good taste.

BTW.. I think the Dropkick Murphys did a live thing of a medley of the US military services anthems that was pretty friggin great. If the stadium guy played that I'd be happy to listen.

Dammmit.. cannot find it. Maybe it was not them? I searched for "United States Armed Forces Medley" by a rock band.. but I swear it was some irish-type band and it was live and it was awesome.. I have to find it again. ANd it was some band that had some connection to the USMC.. which the Murphys have.... ahh.. a mystery.

Last edited:
Let me check.. did you also like Cheap Trick and Kansas? ELO? Of course you did.. you had good taste.

BTW.. I think the Dropkick Murphys did a live thing of a medley of the US military services anthems that was pretty friggin great. If the stadium guy played that I'd be happy to listen.

Dammmit.. cannot find it. Maybe it was not them? I searched for "United States Armed Forces Medley" by a rock band.. but I swear it was some irish-type band and it was live and it was awesome.. I have to find it again. ANd it was some band that had some connection to the USMC.. which the Murphys have.... ahh.. a mystery.
Again, I have no issue with the Dropkick Murphys or that song in general, it just shouldn’t be played in our stadium, in my humble opinion ever, but sure as hell not as i as it was today. Just really odd to me.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I noticed this too, but I think it's at least an improvement over hearing Click Click Boom 46 times a game. I think I only heard that one once today.
Aside from this issue I thought they did a much better job overall today. The only problem, honestly, you can’t hear the band at all. It’s so small it’s unbelievable. They really need to be mic’d up.

The sound guy has been awful for a long time. Wait until the PSU music heats back up.

Hey Rutgers, try being unique.

Reactions: ScarletDave
My overall issue with gameday experience is there's literally never a moment when it's quiet. Not a single R-U chant other than the lame forced ones. And I think it's because there's no opportunity - music always blaring.

My 6 year old liked the 37 times they did the "ev-ry-bo-dy-clap-your-hands" thing though so there's that I guess 🙄

Dropkick Murphys “Boston” I like the song. Not gonna lie. But if I ever hear that song in our stadium again, let alone every five minutes, I’m going to absolutely lose my mind. Am I the only one who feels this way? I’m pretty sure I heard it somewhere between 7 and 10 times today in the stadium. What the ****?
I heard it enough times up at BC last weekend to last a lifetime

This song is awesome !! What's the problem with a song about a guy going to Boston looking for his wooden leg ?? Maybe its because some Yankee fans are butthurt that it is also an inspirational song used by the fans of the most successful MLB team of the 21st century ?? Lots lot of us Red Sox fans living here in NJ love hearing this song !!

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Been a while since at a game but forgot how much I hate the train horn. Way too much and too long. Didn’t mind Murphys (though admittedly I am a fan) since they never got to the refrain but the horn needs to go.

1. Agree about this song. No idea why we use it at all.
2. The train horn is terrible. At one point, they blew it as the PA announcer was talking.
3. The third down call on defense is getting almost comical now. It's like a caricature of itself at this point.
4. I can never hear who carried the ball. It's like he is pushing the button on the mic and not waiting for the mic to turn on before he speaks. All I hear is "...the ball carrier."

Sweet Caroline
Shipping up to Boston
Mr Brightside

are the ones they should be on the NO PLAY LIST. Period

living on a prayer? Bad medicine? You give love a bad name ? (lil Jovi) .. none played

and yes does the band have stands tunes anymore?? Or is it only DJ. Literally did they get to play anything besides the fight song ?? Drum cadences should be between plays like every other P5 school not 10 seconds of piped in nonsense

PA announcer needs a bit of situational awareness. When we're up 42 and have switched to a running clock because the game isn't even a laugher anymore, that's when to tone down 3rd down calls. Actually, even before that point. No need to fire up the crowd when up by 35 against a tomato can.

Reactions: mdh2003
A lot of things made my ears bleed today. The PA announcer was so over the top it was ridiculous. Did someone tell him he needed to be LOUDER and more ANNOYING this year?? Announcing the down and yards at inhuman decibels. Between the incredible noise and length of the games, all the fun is being sucked out of the experience of attending in person.
Had the same conversation in our section. Why the longer and more annoying than usual “it’s thiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrdddddddd down”. It’s like Nolan was instructed to be more annoying than the guy with the the train horn.

I have no issue with Dropkick Murphy's yesterday. Always good to mix it up. They play Bon Jovi at most stadiums in the country. You could probably nit pick most songs played.

Personally I liked that the cheerleaders came up to the lower concourse for a cheer. Reminded me of the "old" days when small groups of band members would come around during the game and play songs. We need that back.

Last edited:
1. Agree about this song. No idea why we use it at all.
2. The train horn is terrible. At one point, they blew it as the PA announcer was talking.
3. The third down call on defense is getting almost comical now. It's like a caricature of itself at this point.
4. I can never hear who carried the ball. It's like he is pushing the button on the mic and not waiting for the mic to turn on before he speaks. All I hear is "...the ball carrier."
#4 - I have to consult the closed captioning on the scoreboard to hear anything the guy says except of course "its thirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd down

Been a while since at a game but forgot how much I hate the train horn. Way too much and too long. Didn’t mind Murphys (though admittedly I am a fan) since they never got to the refrain but the horn needs to go.
People complained about the horse, but it was really stupid to be blaring the horn as the horse was entering the field, unless they asked the horse and the horse said it was OK to do so.
Kentucky Derby Ok GIF

Reactions: denogla1
I am glad we no longer have to deal with the absolutely intolerable sound level. No game day experience will ever be as bad as that was not so long ago.

The train whistle really Hass to go. This is not Purdue, it has no relevance to us.

The fireworks display was very nice, and it was great that it was choreographed so well to music. what bothered me was that the people in the lot refused to turn off their music while the music from the fireworks display was playing, and that kind of took away from that experience.

Overall the gameday operations, music, video and sound seemed much better to me yesterday.

But for every improvement, they always introduce something awful.

The PA guy with the drawn out 3rd down announcement is frigin awful. He needs to cut that out.

No. Every game. Win or lose. Play the song. Show the crowd singing. Run on the field with the flag. Show Eric. Show the 52.
Every game.
I thought I heard the song early in the 4th qtr after the TD that put us at 59. I was on the concourse so didn't see if anything was happening on the field.

Reactions: Knight Shift
.. Maybe its because some Yankee fans are butthurt that it is also an inspirational song used by the fans of the most successful MLB team of the 21st century ?? Lots lot of us Red Sox fans living here in NJ love hearing this song !!
Yeah.. Boston has 4 titles since 2000.. but they suck this year.. they will not be adding to it.. nor will the closes claimant, the Giants which have 3 titles. Cardinals can tie the Giants at 3 this season. Let's hope your and other Sox fans' hubris brings on another curse for the rest of the century.

2021 Atlanta Braves
2020 Los Angeles Dodgers
2019 Washington Nationals
2018 Boston Red Sox
2017 Houston Astros
2016 Chicago Cubs
2015 Kansas City Royals
2014 San Francisco Giants
2013 Boston Red Sox
2012 San Francisco Giants
2011 St. Louis Cardinals
2010 San Francisco Giants
2009 New York Yankees
2008 Philadelphia Phillies
2007 Boston Red Sox
2006 St. Louis Cardinals
2005 Chicago White Sox
2004 Boston Red Sox
2003 Florida Marlins
2002 Anaheim Angels
2001 Arizona Diamondbacks
2000 New York Yankees

I thought Shipping up to Boston worked really well last week for BC as their pre-kickoff, get the crowd charged up, song.

Then, they used it in a half dozen other circumstances and it ruined the whole effect of the song.

RU shouldn’t be using it as all.

Agree about the horn, especially in north end zone. Seemed to be holding it on longer too,

Should only play The Ramones and "In the Neighborhood" by Tom Waits.

"Piss Up a Rope" by Ween is not family friendly.

Last edited:
I thought I heard the song early in the 4th qtr after the TD that put us at 59. I was on the concourse so didn't see if anything was happening on the field.

They made an announcement about eric. Showed a graphic of the number 52 on the big screen played a very small snippet of the song then cut to a very short video of the 52 in the stadium. They did not play the song in its entirety the way they usually do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT