ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Gooden (Yes, related) Official Visit June 10-12

Ryan threw harder than Doc, and his mistake pitch and pretty much the only pitch you could hit off of him was his fastball up in the zone.
I’m being honest, Ryan’s knee high fastball away from the right hand hitter was unhittable.
Docs hop ball up and his yacker down was ridiculous
Hell- I found anything above 70 on the pitching machine to be unhittable lol

Dale- it's amazing...Those of us that grew up thinking we were going to be big leaguers in any sport, had no idea what it takes to even be a bad big leaguer in any sport.

Some of us even thought in our early/mid 20's, that "if only" we could have been able to play. Until, one day you are playing in a competitive softball league and the SS on the other team had made it to AA. That player that couldn't even reach AAA stands out so far and above anyone else you ever played against. And it hits you..."I had no shot" lol

Dale- it's amazing...Those of us that grew up thinking we were going to be big leaguers in any sport, had no idea what it takes to even be a bad big leaguer in any sport.

Some of us even thought in our early/mid 20's, that "if only" we could have been able to play. Until, one day you are playing in a competitive softball league and the SS on the other team had made it to AA. That player that couldn't even reach AAA stands out so far and above anyone else you ever played against. And it hits you..."I had no shot" lol

And let's not even get started with Curveballs.

I knew my baseball career was over in HS when I realized fastballs hissed when they crossed the plate.

No thanks.

Very similar to seeing that 19 year old kid at the Y who looks like he’s the fast point guard Rutgers is missing.
In reality, put Caleb on him and that same kid would look like he never played basketball

And let's not even get started with Curveballs.

I knew my baseball career was over in HS when I realized fastballs hissed when they crossed the plate.

No thanks.
My freshman year, we had a Senior on the team who had a nice MLB career- Rick Horton(mostly with the Cards). I don't think he even hit 90 but back then, he could make you think about stepping up there to face him. All I remember is this kid was making the ball do things I didn't think was possible and he could put it anywhere he wanted to.

My freshman year, we had a Senior on the team who had a nice MLB career- Rick Horton(mostly with the Cards). I don't think he even hit 90 but back then, he could make you think about stepping up there to face him. All I remember is this kid was making the ball do things I didn't think was possible and he could put it anywhere he wanted to.

Strangely we had a Lefty on my HS team who had a cup of coffee with the Astros because he was a Lefty with a good curveball - and I could hit him. ?????!!!????.

Couldn't hit anyone else though sadly. LOL

Reactions: zappaa
Very similar to seeing that 19 year old kid at the Y who looks like he’s the fast point guard Rutgers is missing.
In reality, put Caleb on him and that same kid would look like he never played basketball
That reminds me back when our boy was playing- Senior year at Rutgers and Kevin had found out that of of the other player's father had a near altercation with his Mom in the stands. Keep in mind, I had always been able to be there as a Dad when Kevin may have been upset growing up and into his playing years. But just off a game and he hears a man actually got into it with his Mom- Kev wanted to go after him and I stood in front of him to just hold him a little and calm him down- and it literally felt like trying to hold back a pickup truck rolling down a hill.
The strength behind a 300 lb elite athlete is something almost impossible to explain to another human being. The old the bigger they are, the harder they fall, just doesn't work with someone like that.

I am going to bet that I would have never wanted to have a catch with you. lol

I also remember a Met's game I went to against you guys. Willie S was hitting BP and the Met's were signing autographs down the 1B line. We were about midway between 1B and the OF wall and I think Duffy Dyer was signing and I'm down there as a "hotshot" 12 y/o LL and WS hits a screamer about a foot above my head. My eyes lit up as I was going to snag a ball off Willies bat - found my glove about 10 rows behind me.

That reminds me back when our boy was playing- Senior year at Rutgers and Kevin had found out that of of the other player's father had a near altercation with his Mom in the stands. Keep in mind, I had always been able to be there as a Dad when Kevin may have been upset growing up and into his playing years. But just off a game and he hears a man actually got into it with his Mom- Kev wanted to go after him and I stood in front of him to just hold him a little and calm him down- and it literally felt like trying to hold back a pickup truck rolling down a hill.
The strength behind a 300 lb elite athlete is something almost impossible to explain to another human being. The old the bigger they are, the harder they fall, just doesn't work with someone like that.

I am going to bet that I would have never wanted to have a catch with you. lol

I also remember a Met's game I went to against you guys. Willie S was hitting BP and the Met's were signing autographs down the 1B line. We were about midway between 1B and the OF wall and I think Duffy Dyer was signing and I'm down there as a "hotshot" 12 y/o LL and WS hits a screamer about a foot above my head. My eyes lit up as I was going to snag a ball off Willies bat - found my glove about 10 rows behind me.
One of the things you quickly learn in the big leagues is the velocity of the ball off the bat is unlike anything you’ve ever seen or prepared for….even AAA doesn’t get you properly ready.
Parker used to tell Willie the most dangerous thing he’s ever done is be on first base with Pops hitting.
Keep in mind, by order of George Steinbrenner, all Yankee infielders must be on the outfield grass while Winfield is taking batting practice….he’d hit the ball right thru the webbing of your glove

I faced him in 84, Doc had that hop on his fastball above the belt very few pitchers in history had.
Jim Palmer in his prime lived high in the strike zone is one of the only other pitchers I remember who could do it
That letter high fastball with a hop is almost unhittable. Were they still calling the letter high pitch a strike when you played Zap?

Ryan threw harder than Doc, and his mistake pitch and pretty much the only pitch you could hit off of him was his fastball up in the zone.
I’m being honest, Ryan’s knee high fastball away from the right hand hitter was unhittable.
Docs hop ball up and his yacker down was ridiculous
Doc got screwed he should have been the Ohtani of the 80"s. He would have pumped out a bunch of HR's

In 1962 I was living in Columbus and occasionally got to a Columbus Jets game. I remember at one game seeing the Jets' leftfielder go 0-4 with 3 or 4 of them being strikeouts. He dropped a fly ball to left, and later he ran into the centerfielder causing the ball to go off the centerfielder's glove into the stands for a homerun. I turned to my brother and said, "One guy who isn't making it to the majors for sure is that Willie Stargell."

I started following him in the papers to see how my prediction was coming along, and then he became my favorite player for the Jets, and was why the Pirates became my "second team" (behind the amazing Cleveland Indians/Guardians. "Guardians" -- good Lord.)

f543b4_7549293e56264782b5c22584f9f08f69~mv2.jpg

Absolutely NOT.
That’s spring training, and they’re smoking cigarettes.
No one ever smoked a joint openly.
#23 is Grant Jackson, when he was a Yankee he lived in Montclair.
Won’t deny Parkway did get tremendous weed…lol

Grew up a Pirates fan and loved Parker. It was a sad day when I learned he was released and fell short of 3,000 hits with 2712.

In 1962 I was living in Columbus and occasionally got to a Columbus Jets game. I remember at one game seeing the Jets' leftfielder go 0-4 with 3 or 4 of them being strikeouts. He dropped a fly ball to left, and later he ran into the centerfielder causing the ball to go off the centerfielder's glove into the stands for a homerun. I turned to my brother and said, "One guy who isn't making it to the majors for sure is that Willie Stargell."

I started following him in the papers to see how my prediction was coming along, and then he became my favorite player for the Jets, and was why the Pirates became my "second team" (behind the amazing Cleveland Indians/Guardians. "Guardians" -- good Lord.)
You should have been a scout

Skillet
My dad watched a certain left hand hitter swing the bat in spring training batting practice, he was very impressed the way he used the whole field, pull power and the way the ball sounded of his bat.
He asked for up to date scouting reports on him, they read as follows.
Knock the bat out of his hands.
No speed.
Below average arm.
No positions.
Gap power at best.
Utility man at best.
That was Don Mattingly’s report when my dad threw a pack of matches at George and said FU, I’m playing this kid every day, if you don’t like it fire me!
That was 1984, check Donny Baseball’s stats that year.
I remember my dad telling me I have a kid here who’s a Stan Musial clone, he don’t swing and miss.

The hardest throwers I faced Lee Smith, Nolan, Carlton, JR Richard, Bob Welsh....just to name a few were all more effective down low.
I do remember my dad telling me Bob Feller could throw the ball right past you up in the zone
Another sad story like Doc, one of true greats before the stroke killed his career.

Skillet
My dad watched a certain left hand hitter swing the bat in spring training batting practice, he was very impressed the way he used the whole field, pull power and the way the ball sounded of his bat.
He asked for up to date scouting reports on him, they read as follows.
Knock the bat out of his hands.
No speed.
Below average arm.
No positions.
Gap power at best.
Utility man at best.
That was Don Mattingly’s report when my dad threw a pack of matches at George and said FU, I’m playing this kid every day, if you don’t like it fire me!
That was 1984, check Donny Baseball’s stats that year.
I remember my dad telling me I have a kid here who’s a Stan Musial clone, he don’t swing and miss.
haha Don had a year that he actually struck out 43 times! Amazing that in 14 years and almost 8k AB's 2100 hits and he struck out only 444 times.

Reactions: zappaa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT