ADVERTISEMENT

Dynamic Pricing screwing season ticket holders

Myrtleknight

Junior
Mar 25, 2006
I am a previous 15 year season ticket holder and current basketball season ticket holder. I bought 4 tickets in section 109 row 2 for the Howard game for $2.50 a piece plus the $4 a piece StubHub fee. The digital tickets were delivered by the Rutgers Ticket Office email via “Dynamic Pricing Partners 3.”

Yes I spent money once in the stadium, and that makes sense, but what about all the other people on 109 that paid full boat for this last game.

I don’t know the answer, but I know this isn’t right and Rutgers is screwing over season ticket holders.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Season tickets holders were all offered free tickets for the game. I think part of buying season tickets is guaranteeing you're sitting around the same people year after year, as well as supporting the Athletic Dept.

Season tickets holders were all offered free tickets for the game. I think part of buying season tickets is guaranteeing you're sitting around the same people year after year, as well as supporting the Athletic Dept.
So you are buying tickets to sit around the same people. Valid.
And then, if the team is good, season-ticket holders, can sell one ticket and pay for the whole season for a marquee game
When exactly has that happened.

And 5 minutes into almost any game you can move into 50-yard line seats. Stadium staff, once the game starts, take the rest of the day off in terms of ticket checking. Sort of the stadium seating version of the NJ “Jersey Slide” driving technique. And the interlopers give you “the look” when you tell them to get out of my seats.

Personally I think going to every game is hard but I'm not a local fan.
I don't like cupcake and blowout games.
I dont like driving and sitting in monsoons - or the lines getting out of lots.
I dont care about tailgates.

Individual games have been cheap often
I remember seeing a Michigan game for $8.
Season tickets with the parking rip-offs are not worth it categorically.
Player's parents and all that are exceptions.

After sitting through sloppy Fresno and UNC blowouts I closed my live game era

Reactions: RUpop
I am a previous 15 year season ticket holder and current basketball season ticket holder. I bought 4 tickets in section 109 row 2 for the Howard game for $2.50 a piece plus the $4 a piece StubHub fee. The digital tickets were delivered by the Rutgers Ticket Office email via “Dynamic Pricing Partners 3.”

Yes I spent money once in the stadium, and that makes sense, but what about all the other people on 109 that paid full boat for this last game.

I don’t know the answer, but I know this isn’t right and Rutgers is screwing over season ticket holders.
The reason dynamic pricing is needed is to maximize revenue for the athletic department, which needs every penny it can get. Yes, the market price of Howard tickets are below the season ticket price. Akron should be the same situation. However I expect every other game will have the market price for tickets well above the season ticket holder price, making season tickets a worthwhile investment. Just need to beat VT, and we’ll be good to go.

And 5 minutes into almost any game you can move into 50-yard line seats. Stadium staff, once the game starts, take the rest of the day off in terms of ticket checking. Sort of the stadium seating version of the NJ “Jersey Slide” driving technique. And the interlopers give you “the look” when you tell them to get out of my seats.
This.
The yellow jackets are useless. They have no interest in being there.

Reactions: Local Shill
Not sure is this happened in other sections, but I saw them enforcing seating multiple times in 124. A bunch of groups were asked to move to their proper seats. I also saw more security checks this game than in the last 3 years combined. I assume there may be threats related to what is going on in the world. Also, for the first time since Covid, I witnessed security keeping their eyes on certain individuals and groups. Thought it was a little weird at first but get it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not for me.

Every game it’s been different faces around us for years.

But agree with the second part…we do it for support.

Reactions: Local Shill
It would benefit Rutgers to sell tickets for a seat for even 5 bucks as opposed to having it empty. It is independent from season ticket holders, who don't have to wonder where they might be sitting each game.

Reactions: Morrischiano
do you complain when tickets for another game go for 2-3x the face value? If you were only going to the cupcakes, the secondary market is always better than buying thru Rutgers directly.

Reactions: Morrischiano
We have had the same people around us for years. The couple in front of us started off childless & now have a HS Freshman.

I have guaranteed seats around people I love. I don't feel like I'm getting screwed as a season tickets holder at all.
When I hear these stories about heavily discounted tickets I would be okay if the bolded were true for me.

But as previously mentioned, it’s not.

Seems like most season ticket holders feel differently. If you want cheap seats, there are plenty out there. No excuse not to go to the games.

ETA just ignore the game day operation suggestion thread. Nothing to see there

We have had the same people around us for years. The couple in front of us started off childless & now have a HS Freshman.

I have guaranteed seats around people I love. I don't feel like I'm getting screwed as a season tickets holder at all.
Have had same group of about 10 people near me for long time. Others nearby have changed some but love the long timers. Younger ones are now bringing kids to games, one older couple moved to FL in off season but were there for Howard.

So did you buy them on Stubhub? I don’t understand the complaint. It’s the secondary market.

If the university is selling unsold tickets in Stubhub, then what would you have them do? Not reduce the price below face value? Would YOU buy at face value out of principle? No you wouldn’t.

Given the section you sighted, I would presume the tickets you bought were from a season ticket holder.

Have had same group of about 10 people near me for long time. Others nearby have changed some but love the long timers. Younger ones are now bringing kids to games, one older couple moved to FL in off season but were there for Howard.
My wife & I have been season ticket holders for 16 years. We moved our seats this year because my wife was having trouble with the stairs. During a break in the Howard game I made my way down to our old seats to shake hands and slap backs with "our old neighbors".

So you are buying tickets to sit around the same people. Valid.

When exactly has that happened.
Even in bad years tickets for Penn State, Michigan and sometimes Ohio State would go over $100 each for the worst tickets to get in the stadium. You could fetch a pretty penny for seats in my section. We never sold, but the point is the secondary market giveth and the secondary market taketh away.

Not all of us want to spend the time and effort it takes to find individual tickets game by game and sit in different areas. My time is far more valuable than trying to save $50.

Not all of us want to spend the time and effort it takes to find individual tickets game by game and sit in different areas. My time is far more valuable than trying to save $50.
That’s how I look at it too.

But to realize sometimes the person sitting next to me, in front of me and behind me (in a section that requires an additional donation) is sitting there at a discount is interesting to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT