ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern Michigan Game notes:

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Notes:
http://www.emueagles.com/index.aspx?path=football/

Also, a very bad Charlotte team, new to D1, ran for 166 yards on 35 attempts against EMU , that's a hefty 4.6 yards per carry. RU should run the ball down EMU's throat and control the time of possession in a very big way.

EMU doesn't run well, but passing is their strength. Expect our Defensive line to Tee off , and get 2-4 sacks, and our DBs to come up with some interceptions. If both don't occur, it will be a close game

EMU vs Charlotte box score:.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400944891

Reactions: Knight Shift
Notes:
http://www.emueagles.com/index.aspx?path=football/

Also, a very bad Charlotte team, new to D1, ran for 166 yards on 35 attempts against EMU , that's a hefty 4.6 yards per carry. RU should run the ball down EMU's throat and control the time of possession in a very big way.

EMU doesn't run well, but passing is their strength. Expect our Defensive line to Tee off , and get 2-4 sacks, and our DBs to come up with some interceptions. If both don't occur, it will be a close game

EMU vs Charlotte box score:.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400944891

We are so screwed. . . .
seriously, however, hope Bolin does not throw any picks.

http://www.emueagles.com/news/2017/9/4/football-travels-to-rutgers-for-non-conference-tilt.aspx
DEFENSE KEEPING IT ON THE DOWN LOW: By holding Charlotte to just seven points in the 24-7 win, Sept. 1, EMU held its season-opening opponent to its fewest points since 2008, when it shutout Indiana State, 52-0. The Eagle defense only got stronger as the game went on as well, as Eastern held the 49ers to just 20 total yards over its final six possessions.
Furthermore, EMU did not allow Charlotte to venture into the red zone in 14 possessions. The last time EMU's defense held an opponent outside the 20-yard line for the entire game was Sept. 10, 2011, against Alabama State University. Coincidentally, that is also the last time the Eagles limited the opposition to just seven points in a game.

PICKS GALORE: The three interceptions in the 24-7 win over Charlotte, Sept. 1 were the most picks in a single game for the Eagles since the 2008 season opener, a 52-0 victory over Indiana State.

BACK IN THE GARDEN STATE: Saturday's contest marks the return of two Eagles to the state of New Jersey. Freshman running back Dez Horne (Glassboro, N.J.) and senior defensive back Ikie Calderon (Neptune, N.J.) call the Garden State their home, while junior Kwanii Figueroa (Brooklyn, N.Y) played at nearby Paramus Catholic High School.

SPREADING THE LOVE: Quarterback Brogan Roback picked up where he left off last season by spreading his passes around to a plethora of targets in his first game of the season. The fifth-year senior completed passes to 10 different receivers in the 24-7 win over Charlotte, Sept. 1, with none of the 10 totaling more than five receptions and more than 80 yards.

LAST TIME VERSUS RUTGERS: Despite out-gaining Rutgers, 373 to 274, EMU dropped a 28-10 decision to the Scarlett Knights, Sept. 14, 2013. Quarterback Tyler Benz led the Eastern offense by throwing of 335 yards on 24-of-40 passing, with a touchdown and an interception. Defensively, Mycal Swaim led EMU with eight total tackles, while Ike Spearman, Donald Coleman, and Great Ibe each totaled six tackles.

ALL-TIME VS THE BIG TEN: The Big Ten Conference has been EMU's most common "Power 5" conference faced in its history, with 38 all-time meetings between Eastern and institutions from the Rosemont, Ill.-based league. EMU has yet to win a game versus a Big Ten school, going winless in games against 10 of the 14 teams.
In fact, Eastern is still in search of its first win over a "Power 5" opponent in this its 59th meeting.

Question about Bolin and the Int's...the one in the first half, does anyone think if Griffin-Stewart doesn't fall down, it isn't intercepted? I saw him fall and saw Bolin asking him after the play what happened, did you fall down...I only saw the highlight of the play, didnt see much by way of replay on it

Reactions: shields and RU62
Question about Bolin and the Int's...the one in the first half, does anyone think if Griffin-Stewart doesn't fall down, it isn't intercepted? I saw him fall and saw Bolin asking him after the play what happened, did you fall down...I only saw the highlight of the play, didnt see much by way of replay on it

Yeah, I thought there was a very good chance that ball is not intercepted if Griffin-Stewart doesn't fall down. Wasn't sure where Bolin was throwing that ball at the time but after seeing the replay, it made a lot more sense.

On the other hand, while I really like what I saw from Bolin, he was running to his right and threw back across his body toward the middle of the field on that play. That is a major no-no and the coaches made that clear to him I read somewhere.

I had to listen to the game on Friday night and only got to rewatch the first half on youtube...but to be honest, I was very freaking impressed by our team. Thought that Bolin actually looked good and he seemed to control the offense. Edwards was very good running and if we were playing a team that was a half step slower(and UW is one of the fastest teams in CFB) , he would have broken off a few long runs above and beyond he already good effort. Our DL was dominate for 3 qtrs and if not for the two great punts by their team, we really had a chance to win that game.
I don't see anything with EMU that says they can compete with us if we play how we played against UW.

It wast still thrown into tight coverage, but I don't think it would have been an INT if Griffin-Stewart didn't slip and fall. The other one, Bolin just didn't read the coverage right.

I think EMU is going to have a hard time with our defense. The DLine is going to limit the amount of time Roback has to throw, and the secondary is going to make it tough to find open targets. I think we'll also start to see the passing game open up a bit more, as the staff will be more confident in the OLine protecting against EMU's DLine.

Bolin should dominate EMU. He's had some good games at Louisville. I hope we whoop their ass and Lewis plays in the 4th quarter. Eastern Michigan sucks.

I had to listen to the game on Friday night and only got to rewatch the first half on youtube...but to be honest, I was very freaking impressed by our team. Thought that Bolin actually looked good and he seemed to control the offense. Edwards was very good running and if we were playing a team that was a half step slower(and UW is one of the fastest teams in CFB) , he would have broken off a few long runs above and beyond he already good effort. Our DL was dominate for 3 qtrs and if not for the two great punts by their team, we really had a chance to win that game.
I don't see anything with EMU that says they can compete with us if we play how we played against UW.

We were the better team for the first half, period. Nothing flukey, just better. We were only behind because of two very unlucky punts to the 1 yard line. I think we started out next possession at the 7 after that after a poor return by Grant on a kickoff. Tough to go 25 yards on Washingtons defense, let alone 95+.

First of all, we held an explosive Washington team to 3 total Offensive points in the first half. We out gained them on the ground (I believe they had 14 or 18 total yards, not sure, but held them under 100 for the game), We had 11 first downs to their 3 and we had major time of possession. If not for the 2 punts inside the 1 yard line and a punt return for a TD, we have a halftime lead and get the ball to start the 2nd half with a lot more confidence and momentum. What happened last week happened and that's just the nature of football, but I can't see E Michigan beating us this week or even keeping up with us. We should win it going away!

First of all, we held an explosive Washington team to 3 total Offensive points in the first half. We out gained them on the ground (I believe they had 14 or 18 total yards, not sure, but held them under 100 for the game), We had 11 first downs to their 3 and we had major time of possession. If not for the 2 punts inside the 1 yard line and a punt return for a TD, we have a halftime lead and get the ball to start the 2nd half with a lot more confidence and momentum. What happened last week happened and that's just the nature of football, but I can't see E Michigan beating us this week or even keeping up with us. We should win it going away!

This.
The only thing that can keep this game closer than it should be is if we lose the Turnover battle.
And I mean worse than last week's 2-0 negative margin in turnovers vs. Washington.

Reactions: FlyEMUEagles
Need to see some YAC from these WR's if we are going to win games this season. Hope to see it happen week 2.

Very confident in our boys.

We had a top 55 rushing defense in the FBS last year so I wouldn't put too much weight in one box score, especially when 51 of their rushing yards came on one play (the first play). They had 115yds on 34 carries from then on and a 3.38ypc is respectable. Their longest run of the day besides that was 8 yards.

We also managed to hold the ball for 33 minutes. I think it's clear RU was playing not to get blown out because you'd be hard pressed to find a team with 39 minutes of possession like RU had with a multi-possession loss. You guys will be more aggressive and with a grad transfer QB, that's not always a good thing.

You will also undoubtedly be a lesser team than last week. We're not a top 10 team, it's not on national TV, primetime, season opener, etc. We on the other hand will be playing a bit up at least to start on the road against a P5 opponent we know we can beat.

Anyone expecting a RU blowout is just delusional.You guys should win but I'm calling 34-31 EMU.We go up two scores early, just like most of your weaker opponents did/do. But we're not Howard. We end up holding on in the ensuing dogfight.You guys aren't winning by more than a score. That's for sure so a lot of you will apparently be disappointed in about 13 hours.. If this game weren't on the road, I'd think we win for sure but on the road I give you guys the edge and a 60% chance to win.

I came to this board pretty friendly but a lot of disrespectful posts I've seen this week regarding our team. Which is funny given the source. Good luck to the logical posters. Wish you guys well on the season.

We had a top 55 rushing defense in the FBS last year so I wouldn't put too much weight in one box score, especially when 51 of their rushing yards came on one play (the first play). They had 115yds on 34 carries from then on and a 3.38ypc is respectable. Their longest run of the day besides that was 8 yards.

We also managed to hold the ball for 33 minutes. I think it's clear RU was playing not to get blown out because you'd be hard pressed to find a team with 39 minutes of possession like RU had with a multi-possession loss. You guys will be more aggressive and with a grad transfer QB, that's not always a good thing.

You will also undoubtedly be a lesser team than last week. We're not a top 10 team, it's not on national TV, primetime, season opener, etc. We on the other hand will be playing a bit up at least to start on the road against a P5 opponent we know we can beat.

Anyone expecting a RU blowout is just delusional.You guys should win but I'm calling 34-31 EMU.We go up two scores early, just like most of your weaker opponents did/do. But we're not Howard. We end up holding on in the ensuing dogfight.You guys aren't winning by more than a score. That's for sure so a lot of you will apparently be disappointed in about 13 hours.. If this game weren't on the road, I'd think we win for sure but on the road I give you guys the edge and a 60% chance to win.

I came to this board pretty friendly but a lot of disrespectful posts I've seen this week regarding our team. Which is funny given the source. Good luck to the logical posters. Wish you guys well on the season.

Well thanks for stopping by and weighing in, FlyEagles. You make a good case for your team . Here's to an injury free game. Much success to your Eagles AFTER today.

You make a nice case for your team and congratulations to your coaches and players who brought a program from the brink of elimination to a winning record and a bowl game.
I agree that you might go up early but I think the size and depth of both our lines will wear you down along with our stable of running backs.
Also don't dismiss Howard who entered last week as 45 pt. underdogs.....and won.
Thanks for visiting Scarlet Nation and after today you can borrow this from one of our locals.

:confused: Where? We have a lot of amateur comedians here, but don't think anyone disrespected your team.

But you are very confident in your boys. Pretty disrespectful regarding our team.:rolleyes:

Good luck today and this season.

Not disrespecting the Eagles at all! I know what your team is about and congrats on a bowl game last year, but we are a much improved team in most area's this year. We know upsets can happen at anytime. It could happen today, but I feel RU will be ready to handle the Eagles. We have a 10 game losing streak on the line and Ash and company will have this team ready to erase that. Good luck to you the rest of the way!

Will be interesting to see what happens. You've brought back almost all of your leading tacklers from last year, so one would assume your defense would be a bit better than it was in 2016.

Looking at that top 55 rushing defense, and your defense overall, from last season:

Your rushing defense last year held FBS teams to an average of 179.6 yards/game, and those teams averaged 189.0 yards per game for the season.
With pass defense, you held FBS teams to an average of 272.5 yards/game, and those teams averaged 244.7 yards/game for the season.
For total defense, you held FBS teams to an average of 452.0 yards/game, and those teams averaged 433.8 yards/game for the season.

There were no teams that you held under their average for both rushing and passing... so, when you shut down one, the team did better than normal in the other. There were 3 teams for the season that were held to 14 or more yards under their total offense averages: Wyoming, Toledo, and ODU. None of these were on the road.

When looking at road games only, your rushing defense actually showed much better than at home, but your pass defense showed much worse. You held teams to an average of 35 yards below their rushing average, but allowed 98 more yards through the air. (at home or neutral, you allowed 16 more rushing yards than your opponents' average, and 42 fewer yards through the air). Also of interest, though, you tend to do better on turnovers away from home (+4 on the road, and -3 at home).

The biggest thing we need to do is to limit turnovers in this game. I think we'll be able to run, and I think our defense lines up well against your offense. If we end up -3 on turnovers, though, none of that might matter.

I'm expecting a 7-10 point RU win today, all things considered - barring injury and/or a bunch of turnovers. Really just hoping for an injury-free game and the W.

I posted this in the score prediction thread, I think replying to the same EMU poster (and I hope one does not think proffering one';s opinion that is different than someone else's opinion is considered disrespecting that other poster ... and hoping for an injury-free game for both teams):

Prior Post, copied:

I can see the rationale for a close game - because these are after all just college kids playing, and emotions and mental mistakes and turnovers are often wild cards.

But based on watching both the RU game (at the game, and again on DVR), and just watching the EMU game, several thoughts came to mind:

1) RU's entire defense, but especially its Front 7, is WAY faster and WAY more physical, and by a large margin, than Charlotte's defense ... and EMU only scored 17 offensive points in that game ... though 1st games are often not the best games of the season. EMU's coach is a good coach, and EMU's QB is experienced (a 5th year Senior with this being his 3rd year as a starter).

But the EMU QB is not nearly as accurate, or as good, as UW's Browning. EMU's OL is not nearly as experienced, or as athletic as UW's OL. EMU's running backs are solid ... but not at all breakaway backs, like UW's Gaskin was (and is). EMU does have 2 athletic and good WR's. And though EMU's QB is more of a running threat than Browning, he is NOT very fast - the type of running QB that gives RU fits. RU's new defensive scheme, the 3-4, or modified 50 Oklahoma defense is exactly designed to stop offensive schemes like EMU's - and RU's defensive players are athletically superior to EMU's offensive players. If RU's defensive players maintain their assignments, and limit mental errors, there is a chance (though not a guarantee) RU could dominate defensively against an OL that has large players, but also 4 new starters.

2) EMU plays a 4-2-5 defense, with the 5th DB sometimes playing like a LB. And they played against a team that has similar offensive schemes as RU (i.e. QB from shotgun, power spread offense with an emphasis on running the ball, an occasional Pistol formation, short passes). EMU also played a lot of zone against Charlotte - and the Charlotte QB was unable to find those holes in the zone - hence 3 interceptions (though 1 INT was on a halfback option pass).

EMU did successfully defend against Charlotte, giving plenty of ground between the 30's, and forcing Charlotte into situations where their QB made mistake passes, which EMU intercepted. On the other hand, Charlotte had FOUR (4), I think it was 4, 15-yard penalties on OFFENSE, all of them negating large gains (2 or 3 of which were deadball fouls, one an illegal block below the waist), putting Charlotte in difficult yardage situations, or forcing them to extend into much longer drives.

Unless EMU changes its defensive approach, RU could rush for 250+ yards. Charlotte was getting push with its OL, often pushing EMU's DL 3-4 yards from the LOS. And the Charlotte OL was creating plenty of lanes for their power running back. Charlotte was also able to run outside on EMU's defense (albeit, with the QB). Martin and Edwards are each better than the Charlotte RB: bigger, stronger and faster. Heck, I am pretty sure Hicks is better (as strong, and faster) than the Charlotte RB. It would seem likely RU's OL is also better than Charlotte's OL - stronger and more athletic. And if EMU front 6 to 7 crowds the LOS more than it did against Charlotte, that will open it up for RU's more athletic WR's (like Grant and Bailey), or RU's bigger WR (like Mitchell), or the TE (Washington) to find seams and holes.

I do not necessarily see RU going deep a lot, and I do suspect a more conservative game plan than many RU fans like will be employed - especially if RU gains the lead. But I can also see RU players like Martin, Grant, Blackshear, etc., getting some bigger chunk plays within even a relatively conservative game plan. And I can see Edwards just pounding for 5+ yards a carry.

It would not surprise me if RU won by just 7-10 points - but the game being not really that close (maybe a late score by EMU to close the gap, after a 1Q score by EMU). Nor would it surprise me if RU won something like 28-10, or even 35-14 - or maybe better. It WOULD surprise me if RU lost - and of course that WOULD be very disappointing.

There was a blogger or someone before the season basically thought EMU would have no problem with Ru so I hope we blow you out. Kemoko Turay you will find out about him today.

Told you all. Even if we choke this away somehow, you weren't winning easily. I'm elated.

Congrats Fly! The most improvement in a team is from week 1 to week 2. RU did not improve, which many of us thought they would, so the loss is justified. Your Eagles are 2-0 and may be bowl bound again. Enjoy it! That's what football is all about.

Congrats to EMU, and FlyEagles. You warned us, and u were right. A well coached team that came out , played hard, and your lines did great against ours where we thought we had the advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT