ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Post Game

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

Originally posted by bac2therac:

of anyone out there right now, I would take Bobby Hurley
They appear to be happy to be in the B1G but still want to minimize Athletic Dept costs. That's what is driving the bus right now.
Better question: does Eddie look happy? He sounds deflated and defeated. A 13-game losing streak takes its toll on everyone.

I am putting together a coaching staff as we speak in case Jordan doesn't work out.

Hype is definitely assistant head coach top recruiter
Shack head of strength and conditioning
PatrickRu recruits left coast and works on shooting
Bac dual role as the DOBO and nutritionist
Brodo out of retirement to help with video to help scout
Heaven hired in the ticket office and promotion
Higgins hired as the guy with the in game mic that we nixed this year
Areyounuts new band director

Not sure if I am missing anything

Please, not a Hurley. More provincial thinking. There are plenty of great college coaches with real credentials who have worked their way through the ranks. Rutgers has been mired for a generation by thinking locally. It has to end. There is plenty of great basketball talent outside the metropolitan area. Is there another Big Ten program that would consider one of the Hurley's? Emphatically no.

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:
Please, not a Hurley. More provincial thinking. There are plenty of great college coaches with real credentials who have worked their way through the ranks. Rutgers has been mired for a generation by thinking locally. It has to end. There is plenty of great basketball talent outside the metropolitan area. Is there another Big Ten program that would consider one of the Hurley's? Emphatically no.
You know nothing.

You bring this up every time and not once have you named a candidate.

This post was edited on 3/4 9:55 PM by Aggs

What did Richard Pitino do that so special? It helped that his last name was Pitino.
What did Chris Collins accomplish? It helped that he was a Duke assistant.
How about the guy from Penn State?
Bo Ryan and Tom Izzo were assistants before they became head coaches in the Big 10.
What did John Groce accomplish other than one big run at Ohio with DJ Cooper?
Matt Painter spent ONE SEASON as a head coach at Southern Illinois.

The Hurley hate is hilarious to me.

You tell me. Is an upstart mid-major coach from the Midwest like Bryce Drew going to uproot his family and live in South Jersey?

This post was edited on 3/4 9:56 PM by Aggs

Aggs ... You're up past your bedtime when you start deciding who knows anything. The NJ / local angle has been a miserable failure for more than a generation. Rutgers opponents all know that Rutgers is their own worst enemy. You are another Rutgers lemming.

Aggs ... You're up past your bedtime when you start deciding who knows anything. The NJ / local angle has been a miserable failure for more than a generation. Rutgers opponents all know that Rutgers is their own worst enemy. You are another Rutgers lemming.
*Waits for the hater to name a candidate*

Rutgers opponents all know that Rutger is their worst enemy? How is that part of this discussion?

I don't know who you are and I bet no one important cares about your little opinion on the Hurley's.

341f1d74b1bb8e78e00a83816b8bd76f62315663c3157875d876f01ca6049f17.jpg

This post was edited on 3/4 10:03 PM by Aggs

Are you suggesting the Hurley's credentials are similar to Bo Ryan's before he arrived at Madison, Wisconsin? You are a legend in your own mind.

This post was edited on 3/4 10:07 PM by Mr_Twister

Are you suggesting the Hurley's credentials are similar to Bo Ryan's before he arrived at Madison, Wisconsin?
Are you suggesting Bo Ryan as a candidate? *Still waits*

Please tell me how Bobby Knight should come out of retirement because he was a great coach when you were in college.

Bo Ryan coached in the Wisconsin area. Would you have bitched about provincial thinking then? LOL

This post was edited on 3/4 10:12 PM by Aggs

I don't hate the Hurleys but I'm not a proponent of them as candidates at this point. They've both done a nice job but neither have even made the tourney yet although it's possible this year but I'd like to see it for longer. Trajectories are good but I'm not sold yet. Danny has won 20 games this year but lost all the games against the top competition in the A10 (Davidson/Dayton/VCU).

Keep doing it and make a couple NCAAs and then I'd feel better about them making the step up. I still think Bobby has to make an intermediate step between Buffalo and a P5 team.

I like Archie Miller and Tim Cluess as candidates that COULD be successful when they step up. If EJ didn't work out, Miller is an unlikely candidate for us without at least a strong financial commitment to him and assistants, not mentioning any possible facility promises. Mind you who's to say either Hurley wouldn't want these things either so if they demand it as well then I wouldn't say they are any more realistic than someone like Miller other than the fact that they're "local."

Tim Cluess I think would be a more realistic candidate. From the articles, I've read of him he seems like a down to earth guy who doesn't have the "I need this, this and this...." attitude and is grateful for what he has and willing to work with whatever his means are. Could be wrong but that's just my impression. He's won at multiple levels, won his conference multiple times and made the NCAAs multiple times. I also think he employs an exciting style which could rejuvenate the RAC even though defense might suffer. But the way we've played defense lately, would it matter much.

Regardless though, EJ isn't likely going anywhere for at least 2 years. If at that time it's necessary to make a change, I think the outlook will be a little brighter in the sense that we'll be 2 years closer to a full share and we'll be getting our full share of B10 money sometime during the next coach's tenure here. So the prospect of that could be more enticing to some candidates. We'll also have 2 more years to "observe" some of these candidates and see what more they've done in their careers.

This post was edited on 3/4 11:36 PM by rutgersguy1

That's the kicker. We're not likely to get any established coach or hot mid-major without serious commitment.

Tim Cluess seems about right if we were forced to make a move. Though you'd like to see a younger guy take the position - he's 57.

As for the Hurley's, I agree they're on the right trajectory and you'd like to see NCAA success. That could be this year - Bobby's second at UB, Danny's third at URI.

Jay Wright was 31-51 after his first three seasons at Hofstra. He made the NCAAs in Years 6 and 7, his last two before taking the Nova job.

This post was edited on 3/4 11:53 PM by Aggs

Originally posted by Aggs:
That's the kicker. We're not likely to get any established coach or hot mid-major without serious commitment.

Tim Cluess seems about right if we were forced to make a move. Though you'd like to see a younger guy take the position - he's 57.

As for the Hurley's, I agree they're on the right trajectory and you'd like to see NCAA success. That could be this year - Bobby's second at UB, Danny's third at URI.

Jay Wright was 31-51 after his first three seasons at Hofstra. He made the NCAAs in Years 6 and 7, his last two before taking the Nova job.

This post was edited on 3/4 11:53 PM by Aggs
Well I agree with that, some of these coaches will want financial commitments. If in 2 years that's necessary we'll be little closer to alleviating that part of it, maybe not fully but at least somewhat. Like I said, if there's a next coach the full revenue share of the B10 will occur during his tenure.

Yea Jay Wright had those records when he started there but he wasn't hired after those 3 years though was he. He got hired after showing some steady improvement and then making the NIT and then 2 NCAAs. That's my point, the Hurleys are showing steady improvement as well but they haven't even made the NCAAs yet and Bobby has only been a coach for 2 years at Buffalo. I still think he needs an intermediate step like Danny took at Rhode Island.

The type of established coach you get if your us is someone like Ben Howland, who I still think is a good coach btw. He's on the back end of his career but willing to take a job like ours. If you saw the USA today article I posted on him, he regrets passing on some opportunities the last couple years and won't be as choosy this time around. There's nothing wrong with those type of coaches, they still can be good coaches. Worst case they can get you back to mediocre and be a bridge until prospects look brighter in the future. If it's not someone like that then it's the "up and comer" like Cluess even if his age may not suggest up and comer. Larranaga went to Miami in his 60s IIRC.

This post was edited on 3/5 12:10 AM by rutgersguy1

I'm looking at Bobby Hurley as an up-and-comer, not an established coach.

Cluess has five seasons at Iona and experience at the lower level, and has two NCAA appearances, and you make a good point about Larrananaga, but Miami was less of a rebuild than Rutgers. I think Jared Grasso is his "ace recruiter" - not sure if he would follow him.

Hurley, Jr. has two seasons at Buffalo in what I think is a better conference. I was actually surprised to see Buffalo No. 46 in Ken Pom's offensive efficiency rankings, while Iona is ahead but not by much (No. 40).

I'm not going to penalize Hurley Jr.'s because he only has two years under his belt compared to Cluess' five at Iona. I just prefer the younger hungrier guy who has turned Buffalo into a contender. He's not laid back - but I don't think he's Mike Rice - and we could use that down the road. I guess I'm more confident he will continue winning 20 games at Buffalo and would bet on him before it's too late. It's not the end of the world, but he checks a lot of the boxes.

Archie Miller made the Elite 8 in his third season at Dayton, his first HC gig, and the offers started rolling in.

I'm not saying he's Archie but I'd rather be a year early than a year late. But I understand it might look risky to some fans because we've been burned by guys like Bannon, Rice and Hill Jr.
This post was edited on 3/5 12:34 AM by Aggs

Shields -- yeah, 40 years of following RU hoops brings out the dark side. These all seem like decent kids who want to get better and win. So I wish that RU was getting more bang for its limited budget from its staff. O'Koren, Macon and Shoes -- what's the strength there? How much winning at the college level? Look, the kids agreed to come to Rutgers. They deserve to have better assistant coaches to coach them up. That's not about money, that's about Eddie's choices.

Originally posted by ruman:
. . . But unless Eddie walks . . .
I guess if folks just type this enough, even just in passing, some will start to believe that this isn't something that will never happen. Because people just choose to walk away from $3.5 mm all the time.

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:
I don't hate the Hurleys but I'm not a proponent of them as candidates at this point. They've both done a nice job but neither have even made the tourney yet although it's possible this year but I'd like to see it for longer. Trajectories are good but I'm not sold yet. Danny has won 20 games this year but lost all the games against the top competition in the A10 (Davidson/Dayton/VCU).

Keep doing it and make a couple NCAAs and then I'd feel better about them making the step up. I still think Bobby has to make an intermediate step between Buffalo and a P5 team.

I like Archie Miller and Tim Cluess as candidates that COULD be successful when they step up. If EJ didn't work out, Miller is an unlikely candidate for us without at least a strong financial commitment to him and assistants, not mentioning any possible facility promises. Mind you who's to say either Hurley wouldn't want these things either so if they demand it as well then I wouldn't say they are any more realistic than someone like Miller other than the fact that they're "local."

Tim Cluess I think would be a more realistic candidate. From the articles, I've read of him he seems like a down to earth guy who doesn't have the "I need this, this and this...." attitude and is grateful for what he has and willing to work with whatever his means are. Could be wrong but that's just my impression. He's won at multiple levels, won his conference multiple times and made the NCAAs multiple times. I also think he employs an exciting style which could rejuvenate the RAC even though defense might suffer. But the way we've played defense lately, would it matter much.

Regardless though, EJ isn't likely going anywhere for at least 2 years. If at that time it's necessary to make a change, I think the outlook will be a little brighter in the sense that we'll be 2 years closer to a full share and we'll be getting our full share of B10 money sometime during the next coach's tenure here. So the prospect of that could be more enticing to some candidates. We'll also have 2 more years to "observe" some of these candidates and see what more they've done in their careers.

This post was edited on 3/4 11:36 PM by rutgersguy1
Yet, Danny Hurley, with only 1 year under his belt at URI, demanded a SEVEN or EIGHT year guaranteed contract from Rutgers ... for a lot of money also.

Think about that ... a guy who was completely unproven as a head coach ... who KNEW the Rutgers situation, demanded a 7-8 year guaranteed contract to take the job.

Originally posted by jellyman:

Yet, Danny Hurley, with only 1 year under his belt at URI, demanded a SEVEN or EIGHT year guaranteed contract from Rutgers ... for a lot of money also.

Think about that ... a guy who was completely unproven as a head coach ... who KNEW the Rutgers situation, demanded a 7-8 year guaranteed contract to take the job.
Yes he did and I wouldn't have given it then and I wouldn't give it now. I don't care how dire our situation looks 7 years is too long a contract. He had leverage considering the Mike Rice aftermath so he tried to use it and was comfortable staying where he was when we didn't.

I think there are other coaches out there who wouldn't demand that much and like I said the next coach's tenure is going to overlap our receiving a full share of B10 revenue. That is going to be enticing for someone knowing better things are on the horizon during their time at RU. Will every candidate jump at that? No. But there are candidates out there.

Hypothetically, say we were hiring this year. Tim Cluess and Ben Howland (don't care about that SI article) would be realistic candidates for the job and I'd be satisfied with either of them.

I'd say Tim Cluess is a great choice. He gets players. I'd say he out recruits RU already!

And a side note, he has a big fan in Mike Francesa, love him or hate him, it'd be nice to see RU basketball finally discussed and doing interviews on the FAN

Originally posted by Aggs:
I'm looking at Bobby Hurley as an up-and-comer, not an established coach.

Cluess has five seasons at Iona and experience at the lower level, and has two NCAA appearances, and you make a good point about Larrananaga, but Miami was less of a rebuild than Rutgers. I think Jared Grasso is his "ace recruiter" - not sure if he would follow him.

Hurley, Jr. has two seasons at Buffalo in what I think is a better conference. I was actually surprised to see Buffalo No. 46 in Ken Pom's offensive efficiency rankings, while Iona is ahead but not by much (No. 40).

I'm not going to penalize Hurley Jr.'s because he only has two years under his belt compared to Cluess' five at Iona. I just prefer the younger hungrier guy who has turned Buffalo into a contender. He's not laid back - but I don't think he's Mike Rice - and we could use that down the road. I guess I'm more confident he will continue winning 20 games at Buffalo and would bet on him before it's too late. It's not the end of the world, but he checks a lot of the boxes.

Archie Miller made the Elite 8 in his third season at Dayton, his first HC gig, and the offers started rolling in.

I'm not saying he's Archie but I'd rather be a year early than a year late. But I understand it might look risky to some fans because we've been burned by guys like Bannon, Rice and Hill Jr.
This post was edited on 3/5 12:34 AM by Aggs
See it's not just Cluess 5 years at Iona. That is a big part of the picture obviously. He's probably going to win the regular season conference title 3 times and make the NCAA 3 times. He's also done well on the lower levels from high school to Division 2. I like that. It shows that he's been doing well all along in his career, not just at one stop. It reminds me of an Art Briles or Brian Kelly in football. No guarantees obviously but I like to see that kind of success, doing it over and over again. His winning percentages are also in that 70-80% range so it's not just barely keeping your head above water, he's been winning at a nice clip at all these stops.

I do "penalize" for lack of track record. It's only natural and as I say with any coaching hire, I'm always wary of flash in the pan and is the coach the constant to success or just a player of group of players who will eventually graduate. So just logically the longer the track record, the more comfortable you feel but still never a guarantee.

When Mike Rice was hired, I was a Skinner guy myself for the simple reason that he won in the BE with lesser recruits. But I didn't have problem with Mike Rice basketball wise, had no idea about his demeanor. In his 3 years at Robert Morris, he won 3 conference titles, 2 conference tourneys, made the NCAA twice and had a 70%+ winning percentage. So it was a nice resume. It still didn't work out here, even without the off court stuff, not sure how well he would have done. The first year looked promising but then after that I didn't feel the building up as much.

Whoever wins here to me has to do it with lesser recruits. Only a superstar coach is bringing the big names and I don't see that happening. So whoever you feel is the most capable of that is the one I think has the best chance to do something here.

This post was edited on 3/5 8:48 AM by rutgersguy1

Originally posted by MCKnight2004:
I'd say Tim Cluess is a great choice. He gets players. I'd say he out recruits RU already!

And a side note, he has a big fan in Mike Francesa, love him or hate him, it'd be nice to see RU basketball finally discussed and doing interviews on the FAN
Yea Francesa does like him IIRC. He liked Pecora too back when he was at Hofstra and it hasn't worked out at Fordham so I don't know if a Francesa endorsement is a good thing.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I think Cluess has gotten some nice transfers that have contributed. I think his style of play is enticing to some players who'd like to play at that fast pace. That's another thing, for a school like us behind the 8 ball there has to be more than 1 way to skin a cat. Whether it's taking transfers, jucos, international players there have to be other ways to find some decent players besides just looking at the local scene. Wherever you can find them get them, no need to just restrict ourselves in this area. Ideally, that would be nice but it never seems to work out for us so you have to get a little creative.

Get creative with recruiting and have a system in place that can utilize less heralded players to perform well together. This is the only way for us to get out of the abyss. Anything that relies on landing big names is going to fall flat IMO.

Was it 7 years and what?

What does Eddie have?

7 years @$700K per vs. 4 years@$1.1M per is not much different

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
Was it 7 years and what?

What does Eddie have?

I don't think the salary was less was it? I think it would have been 1M or so for Hurley was well. I just did a quick look up and it was.

From an espn artice:

The 40-year old New Jersey native mulled over the offer for two days before declining what was a $1 million-a-year salary, but only a five-year contract.
Hurley didn't want to take his third job in three years after arriving in Kingston, R.I., last year from Wagner.

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
Was it 7 years and what?

What does Eddie have?

From what I heard his request was 7 years at $1.25MM/year and facility upgrades written into the contract.

Dont blame him. Post-Rice he was putting his HC future on the line. Danny Hurley, more intimately than most, realized the RU job was a career killer and post-Rice it was the worst shape this program has been in since, quite possibly, forever.

Hire Kevin Boyle. He has a good eye for talent & knows the state inside & out. He can be a little demonstrative at times but the players respect him. I'm sure he could put together a great staff. He has a ton of contacts & i think he would do a much better job than Eddie. I think he would take this opportunity, because he is a Jersey kid & he knows how to survive this environment. Even won a championship in Clark in the 80's as a player. He practically was the player/coach. RU would at least get there money's worth with this hire. Eddie means well, but he is not getting down & dirty like Kevin would.

Originally posted by KNICKI:
Hire Kevin Boyle. He has a good eye for talent & knows the state inside & out. He can be a little demonstrative at times but the players respect him. I'm sure he could put together a great staff. He has a ton of contacts & i think he would do a much better job than Eddie. I think he would take this opportunity, because he is a Jersey kid & he knows how to survive this environment. Even won a championship in Clark in the 80's as a player. He practically was the player/coach. RU would at least get there money's worth with this hire. Eddie means well, but he is not getting down & dirty like Kevin would.
Sounds good but he is a Hurley-lite version. Could be the next version of Freddie Hill at RU. Never a HC in college at any level. I would pass and go for a proven winner like Tim Cluess if we make a change.

but of course RU will not fire Eddie at this point. Bad economics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT