ADVERTISEMENT

FINALS NCAA WRESTLING THREAD !! NICK & ANT GO FOR GOLD, 7PM, ESPN:

Ecstasy and Delirium doesn't begin to describe what my 47 year long RU friends/fans are feeling tonight! First football games , wrestling matches and basketball games in the Fall of 1971.

4 cocktails, I'm just about done ! lol

From JJ Jennings , Nate Toran in Football, to Phil Sellers, Mike Palko, Vinnie Roundtree, Gene Armstead in basketball, to Lee Getz, Dom Cerretto, Mike McHugh, Scott Winston in Wrestling, it's been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNG Time coming to this awesome feeling , again.

I'll leave my thoughts of RU future for a different day. Alot of us have been here since Goodale took over. Lots of us been to matches...donated.... let's enjoy this

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Awesome night for Rutgers Wrestling. I was working so I could only stream on my phone. I’m home now so time to watch on the dvr.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Tha
For me, the only comparable RU sports moment I have witnessed, was being with my good friends at Giants Stadium on Thanksgiving Night at Giants Stadium , and seeing RU beat Colgate for it's undefeated season. 1976
It was Bedlam!

100s of RU fans went to the Bar on the ground level after the game, coaches came in eventually , and we all witnessed RU Pres Ed Bloustein dance the Bulldog on all 4s , hammered with everyone else ! lol
True f'n story
t was a great night!

Reactions: Abro1975
Top headlines on espn.com .....go check it out

So cool, the only mention of wrestling on the espn home page is this article, in the main top headlines section
Rutgers gets 1st two wrestling national champs

It feels like espn goes out of their way to take shots at us (we give lots of ammo for sure) but this was awesome, they didn't need to do this.

Thanks Nick and Anthony!

How many scotch whiskies did you have before the matches?

He had no breath in him to get a loud "R" out, and the floor reporter says "They can't hear you." How crappy is it that AA wanted to go hug his mom and the floor security made him leave the floor?

I was thinking the same the blue shirts were like c*ck blockers with everyone’s celebrations

I'll leave my thoughts of RU future for a different day. Alot of us have been here since Goodale took over. Lots of us been to matches...donated.... let's enjoy this

Why would you even consider that thought three hours after THE most accomplished moment(s) in Rutgers sports history? You should be tossing back a beverage and toasting these wrestlers and coaches for an unbelievable Knight of wrestling. :chairshot:

Reactions: RUonBrain
I was thinking the same the blue shirts were like c*ck blockers with everyone’s celebrations
I understand and felt bad but fair is fair and the wrestlers have to do a weigh in and all that right after the match so you can’t risk cheating. I understand jt

The End of the Season. From the Opening Quad meet at the RAC on Nov 3.
To the Cliff Keene Tourney in Las Vegas just after Thanksgiving, to the great home meets at the RAC against Princeton and Oklahoma St, to the Big10 Tourney in Minn, to the Grand Finale in Pittsburgh .

What an awesome Season!! Culminating in :

54521229_10156616717919262_1284085704132919296_n.jpg

Congrats to both Nick and Ash!

Ash I was rooting hard for, super hard not to like the kid and watch him fulfill a dream.

Nick always had the talent. It was his head. Coaches did a good job getting his mind right and it showed.

Tremendous accomplishment 2 NCs!

So congrats Nick, Anthony and Coach Goody!

1) Heard lot of boos from crowd throughout multiple spots of suriano match. Was it for lack of calls? Lack of wrestlers doing much?
Almost every Penn State fan I ran into this weekend was rooting to Nicky too. The booing was (best guess) because Fix was stalling/not trying anything offensively for much of the match and it wasn't being called.

Reactions: rondi
Almost every Penn State fan I ran into this weekend was rooting to Nicky too. The booing was (best guess) because Fix was stalling/not trying anything offensively for much of the match and it wasn't being called.

It seemed to me Suriano won the crowd. He was the aggressor and Fix was moving back to the line the entire match. Add in John Smiths whining and the crowd was definitely getting on Fix and not Suriano.

It seemed to me Suriano won the crowd. He was the aggressor and Fix was moving back to the line the entire match. Add in John Smiths whining and the crowd was definitely getting on Fix and not Suriano.
It definitely was looking like Nick was going to get jobbed. Just had this feeling. He didn’t let the extraneous stuff get to him.

Reactions: rondi
If ref #22 (from DeSantos first match) was there last night Fix would have definitely been DQ'ed by the 2nd. He was literally doing nothing but backing away and stalling the entire match. He is incredibly boring to watch.

I definitely don’t understand stalling in wrestling. I can see if you lying on the mat like a dead fish but this below the waist stuff is lost on me.
And, nor should you understand it. I've been ranting about this for years-yet another reason why my words are so dangerous- that we've dumbed down the definition of "stalling" over the course of years to try to appeal to a wider fan base that simply doesn't understand the sport from the get-go.

Essentially, what passes in fans' minds for "stalling" today is when their wrestler is losing and it becomes a desperate plea to refs to intervene on legitimate wrestling strategy.

Granted, we're talking over 40 years ago now, but when I wrestled you took a guy down and you rode him out for the period. NO ONE got called for stalling when you were just legitimately riding or if you were the person on bottom, with the exception of when the person was essentially a dead fish. My final scores were ALWAYS something like 4-2 or 5-3. That's how many people wrestled then.

If ref #22 (from DeSantos first match) was there last night Fix would have definitely been DQ'ed by the 2nd. He was literally doing nothing but backing away and stalling the entire match. He is incredibly boring to watch.
I took a peek at the Ok. State wrestling wrestling forum on Rivals - their fans are bunch of whiners just like their coach.

I took a peek at the Ok. State wrestling wrestling forum on Rivals - their fans are bunch of whiners just like their coach.
Yes, and they wouldn't be the only ones. I can immediately think of two fan bases that make Ok State fans look gracious.

Big time congrats to Nick, Anthony, Coaches & entire team. For you wrestling guys, don't know the rules. Why was Jordan awarded that 1st period point against Ashnault?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT