ADVERTISEMENT

First Three Games Positives-

This. We’re playing cleaner football and the offense now actually looks like it’s “coordinated”. The defense is tackling better and we’ve improved the kicking game. I am curious to see how we play against Michigan. I’m not even thinking win, but solid competitive football for 60 minutes would be a very positive sign.
Should we go back to the famous “rugby”
Tackles? LOL!

not being negative. I want rutgers to win Saturday! It will be amazing. Even if they don't, as long as they compete well I'd be thrilled. If they can do that without passing, more power to them. Though I don't see how but Im.willing to be convinced.

t's not being negative to highlight 40 yards passing. It's a very highlightable stat for any level of competition.

If the team with more talent always won, then we would not need to play the games.
talent, scheme, execution would be the three main variables, though certainly there are countless others. I definitely agree it's never as simple as talent vs talent but size, strength, speed, and athleticosm can provide a definitive advantage. One Coach has spent a lot of time highlighting to improve as a team.

We will see Saturday what's what. For now anyway. It's exciting!

not being negative. I want rutgers to win Saturday! It will be amazing. Even if they don't, as long as they compete well I'd be thrilled. If they can do that without passing, more power to them. Though I don't see how but Im.willing to be convinced.

t's not being negative to highlight 40 yards passing. It's a very highlightable stat for any level of competition.

I just think it’s being exaggerated considering the game flow. We only threw the ball 16 times in the game.

Personally, I don't care about how we do against Michigan. I would like to win, of course, but do not realistically consider that an option. Whether we lose by 10 or 40, to me is irrelevant. We will still be 4-1 after Wagner. This year is not about competing with Michigan, OSU or PSU. This year is about trying to make a bowl game and that means that the other 5 games are what we need to be competitive in.

So, yes, the board will probably have a meltdown on Saturday, but who cares? Beat any two of Maryland, Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana and MSU and we go bowling. The only significant thing about the other 3 games is to avoid injuries.

Just my take.

Think it's great to be positive but beating the number 2 team in the nation is quite a high standard needed to be positive, but does represent a certain % of the fanbase.

I'm sure even with a win there will be some who will declare they will be positive only if we beat Ohio State....and then some who will also require those two wins and a win against USC in future seasons before:)
Mark it down ..we will beat somebody this season we are not supposed to this season… and this already includes victories over MSU and Indiana.

Definitely better but we still cant pass. it's not being negative to point out thus objective truth which will catch up to us. It almost did Saturday till the gane broke open in the 4th. 2.9 yards per pass attempt. Under 100 yards passing and sub 50% completion % how long can the defense, special teams and running game cover this?
True we were terrible throwing the ball last week. But the first two weeks we averaged about 180 which is serviceable with our ground game. Not confident about Saturday but anxious to see how we perform.

All 3 are future Pros . Powell was all over the field on Saturday. His being on the tight end or running back on a quick swing pass in a NY minute is the stuff NFL scouts love to see. Jennings was doing that well early but not so much last week. Toure is so multi dimensional as he can be an edge rusher , clog up the running backs up the middle and cover the receivers coming over the middle. We could have the best linebackers as a group in the country.
....and there's still Moses Walker waiting in the wings.

2.5 of the last 3 games vs Michigan have been competitive.. Should have beaten them in 2020 (easy FG missed in OT), 2021 game on road went down to the last possession, & 2022 we were leading at the half. In the 2nd half the RU defense wore down due to lack of offense.
Hopefully we have better/longer offensive drives now.. also predicting a breakaway TD for KM, much like that of Pacheco vs Michigan years ago..
A big reason why the 2020 game was close was the number of big plays RU was able to generate. The playcalling was very aggressive in that game.

Reactions: Knight Shift
People you all need to remember that we are playing against the #2 ranked team in the nation and many of us are talking about having a fighting chance against them. That may be true or not but the fact that people besides Al can now believe it shows just how far this program has come in the past few years.
Only a moronic pygmy could deny this.

If RU gets blown out (not saying we will), we'll have something to feel bad about.
Well over the many years I have come to see your negative postings even when Rutgers played well. We aren’t supposed to win on Saturday. All the smart money is on Michigan the # 1 or 2 team in the nation. So to be disappointed perhaps but feel bad no. As long as the team plays hard , competes and stays healthy …whether they lose or… win … it has no impact on any board poster. Life goes on bra’.😜

Well over the many years I have come to see your negative postings even when Rutgers played well. We aren’t supposed to win on Saturday. All the smart money is on Michigan the # 1 or 2 team in the nation. So to be disappointed perhaps but feel bad no. As long as the team plays hard , competes and stays healthy …whether they lose or… win … it has no impact on any board poster. Life goes on bra’.😜
There are posters on this board- won't even call them fans, that sometimes seem they would prefer to be right than for Rutgers to do well.
As for the Mich game...I would be disappointed in a blow out but would also be disappointed in a close loss. lol I just want to win. But my disappointment would not be on the team but just a personal disappointment.

On the other hand- if we go in there and all of a sudden look like what we expect Wagner to look like against us - then there would be disappointment on both the team and coaches- cannot lie.
But if we are playing our balls off and go into half within a score and they just wear us down in the 2nd half- I would not have too much of a problem with it.

What is stop rate? It’s a basic measurement of success: the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs.
Some context- nobody has played world-beating scoring offenses:

Ohio State Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
Indiana (112)
Youngstown State (FCS)
Western KY (46)

Michigan Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
East Carolina (126)
UNLV (67)
Bowling Green (101)

Georgia Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
UT Martin (FCS)
Ball State (106)
South Carolina (82)

Oklahoma Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
Arkansas State (130)
SMU (29)
Tulsa (99)

Rutgers Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
Northwestern (111)
Temple (93)
Va Tech (97)

Reactions: rutgersguy1
What is stop rate? It’s a basic measurement of success: the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs.
I thought it was a measure of what women in my area were competing in to have the highest score, insofar as their success at rejecting my advances. 😢

• Haha
Some context- nobody has played world-beating scoring offenses:

Ohio State Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
Indiana (112)
Youngstown State (FCS)
Western KY (46)

Michigan Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
East Carolina (126)
UNLV (67)
Bowling Green (101)

Georgia Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
UT Martin (FCS)
Ball State (106)
South Carolina (82)

Oklahoma Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
Arkansas State (130)
SMU (29)
Tulsa (99)

Rutgers Opponents (Scoring Offense rank):
Northwestern (111)
Temple (93)
Va Tech (97)
For those that have a subscription to the Athletic. Article on stop rate and the ranks of last season. We were 68. They've tracked it as metric for the last 5 years.

Snippet from the article:

And for the second time in three years, Iowa finished with the No. 1 defense in stop rate. The Hawkeyes got stops on nearly 79 percent of their drives against FBS offenses.

Iowa had the best defense in the country in yards per play (3.99), the best in passing yards per attempt (5.3) and the second-best in yards per rush (2.8). In the last decade, only two other defenses have held their opponents to less than four yards per play: 2016 Alabama and 2017 Alabama.

Longtime defensive coordinator Phil Parker and his crew made their foes earn every yard this year. Nobody was better at preventing explosive plays. The Hawkeyes gave up just 24 plays of 20-plus yards and nine of 30-plus yards over 13 games. They held four teams under 200 yards, including Kentucky in their 21-0 victory in the Music City Bowl.

For those that have a subscription to the Athletic. Article on stop rate and the ranks of last season. We were 68. They've tracked it as metric for the last 5 years.

Snippet from the article:

And for the second time in three years, Iowa finished with the No. 1 defense in stop rate. The Hawkeyes got stops on nearly 79 percent of their drives against FBS offenses.

Iowa had the best defense in the country in yards per play (3.99), the best in passing yards per attempt (5.3) and the second-best in yards per rush (2.8). In the last decade, only two other defenses have held their opponents to less than four yards per play: 2016 Alabama and 2017 Alabama.

Longtime defensive coordinator Phil Parker and his crew made their foes earn every yard this year. Nobody was better at preventing explosive plays. The Hawkeyes gave up just 24 plays of 20-plus yards and nine of 30-plus yards over 13 games. They held four teams under 200 yards, including Kentucky in their 21-0 victory in the Music City Bowl.

Iowa, schmyowa. Did the article delve into that the stop right defense is contagious to their offense, is the #1 stopped offense in the nation? 🤣

I thought it was a measure of what women in my area were competing in to have the highest score, insofar as their success at rejecting my advances. 😢
in that case doesn't "Stop just means Stop" Though, one word and a comma, changes all that Don't, Stop

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
You’re a heck of a life coach.

I had mentioned in other threads that Johnny Langan has been an unsung hero in these victories. Here is a breakdown on how his blocking contributed to 3 touchdowns and a number of first downs.

Aaron Breitman is great:

Others:

Rutgers has 3 players in top 10 in tackles for B1G: Powell, Jennings Dixon.

Monangai is 3rd in B1G in Scoring with 30 points

Jai Patel is ranked 3rd in B1G in kicking. He and the MSU kickers are the only 2 kickers 100% from 40+ yards out.

Rutgers Defense is tied for 7th in nation with 10 points per game allowed, third in B1G.
The experience we have on this team and the much improved coaching are IMO the two biggest reasons for the limited amount of penalties and turnovers as well as the consistency on D.

I’m specifically impressed by the OL’s lack of penalties. Those holds and false starts to put us behind the chains have been nonexistent. And that certainly helps with converting 3rd downs.

The experience we have on this team and the much improved coaching are IMO the two biggest reasons for the limited amount of penalties and turnovers as well as the consistency on D.

I’m specifically impressed by the OL’s lack of penalties. Those holds and false starts to put us behind the chains have been nonexistent. And that certainly helps with converting 3rd downs.
Our OL coach is top level...We have been lucky to have two great ones over the 20 years coach our OL...

The problem is you have ALWAYS been someone who tries to crap on Rutgers…ALWAYS.
Bob, I frankly have no memory of you or anything you’ve posted EVER. I don’t know what you ALWAYS do. I know only what you’ve done NOW. So, as of NOW, all I’ve seen is a questionable historian with reactionary, clumsy life advice, a unique understanding of gambling and smart money, and a keen (and contagious) awareness of how to double tap the caps key when it comes to temporality. I can’t be sure that you’ve ALWAYS had these skills. I just know what you’re doing NOW. As ALWAYS in life, though, how things go from here is up to you. It can ALWAYS be like this. Or not. NOW or ALWAYS? That’s up to you. NOW, where were we.

Negatoids are smelling a blowout so after a three week absence they've emerged from their holes. A blow out loss will breath new life into their putrid souls for at least three weeks (Wagner doesn't count) unless we upset Wisconsin.

Negatoids are smelling a blowout so after a three week absence they've emerged from their holes. A blow out loss will breath new life into their putrid souls for at least three weeks (Wagner doesn't count) unless we upset Wisconsin.

100% spot on and the only time I can give Shelby credit- he is a crapper from Cuse that just never goes away even when we are playing well.
But you are so right- there are a few posters that have jumped back in now that we are expected to get blown out.
I just can’t imagine living life like that.

Reactions: TRU2RU
100% spot on and the only time I can give Shelby credit- he is a crapper from Cuse that just never goes away even when we are playing well.
But you are so right- there are a few posters that have jumped back in now that we are expected to get blown out.
I just can’t imagine living life like that.
I say it often, I don't assume blowout to anyone in the B10 except OSU (and early this year I was even wondering about that, did their offense get on track last week?) It doesn't mean a blowout can't/won't happen but I don't go into it thinking it's a foregone conclusion. It's the consistent wide open productive offenses that worry me but OSU is the only proven one in the B10 in recent years. Being competitive with the rest is always possible. We've been competitive with Michigan at times in recent years too.

West coast schools coming in next year worry me more because of their offenses and being competitive with them than most of the B10. Penix, Nix, Williams are (or might be in Williams case) in their last years though so that might help lol.

True we were terrible throwing the ball last week. But the first two weeks we averaged about 180 which is serviceable with our ground game. Not confident about Saturday but anxious to see how we perform.
Gavin has looked much more comfortable in every way at QB. He's running well and not making mistakes or turnovers. I'm not sure that I've seen (at least from the stands) the receivers getting regular separation from defenders, though. So while Gavin has made some nice passes, the passing game has been anything but prolific. Now, I don't think that's the gameplan. RU wants to run the ball, burn clock, not turn the ball over, and let the D make plays. We can expect Michigan's D to sell out against the run. How the offense responds to that will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Bob, I frankly have no memory of you or anything you’ve posted EVER. I don’t know what you ALWAYS do. I know only what you’ve done NOW. So, as of NOW, all I’ve seen is a questionable historian with reactionary, clumsy life advice, a unique understanding of gambling and smart money, and a keen (and contagious) awareness of how to double tap the caps key when it comes to temporality. I can’t be sure that you’ve ALWAYS had these skills. I just know what you’re doing NOW. As ALWAYS in life, though, how things go from here is up to you. It can ALWAYS be like this. Or not. NOW or ALWAYS? That’s up to you. NOW, where were we.
I ‘ve been posting on this board for quite a few years …you also have been posting not as often as well. So , the point is some of your postings certainly pointed toward a sarcastic tone when talking about Rutgers and a particular game or play.To be factual we have seen you quite less than when we had teams playing well prior to 2015.You seem to lurk around in order to dredge up negativity.

Gavin has looked much more comfortable in every way at QB. He's running well and not making mistakes or turnovers. I'm not sure that I've seen (at least from the stands) the receivers getting regular separation from defenders, though. So while Gavin has made some nice passes, the passing game has been anything but prolific. Now, I don't think that's gameplan. RU wants to run the ball, burn clock, not turn the ball over, and let the D make plays. We can expect Michigan's D to sell out against the run. How the offense responds to that will be interesting to watch.
What's interesting is that I thought we threw earlier than I expected against VT because they were doing the same thing. We just didn't make the plays early on. We have to make a couple early against UM to have a shot.

Glad your sense of probability and chance are top notch . I could give a damn what you think about the team, staff, players or my use of any hit on the keyboard. Get back to why you stopped by. It is always the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT