ADVERTISEMENT

For RUbaseball78--how the game has changed

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
As an illustration of how drastically the game has changed--I was a die hard Brooklyn fan & turned 13 in 1955, the year the Dodgers finally beat the Yanks in the Series. Game 7--the Brooks & Podres were up 1-0 in the top of the 6th. Reese led off with a single. Snider, hitting 3rd, sacrificed & knocked the ball out of Skowron's glove going to first. Campanella, hitting cleanup, sacrificed both runners over. Furillo was intentionally walked. Hodges hit a long fly to right-center & Reese scored. A huge insurance run. The Dodgers won the game 2-0 & the Series.

Can you imagine any 3rd & 4th place hitters today being given the sign to bunt in that situation or any other, no less being able to get the ball down & execute. For the record, Snider hit .309 with 42 homers & Campanella hit .318 with 32 homers respectively that year. Of interest, Alston didn't call for a squeeze with the bags loaded.

Also for the record, I didn't recall all of the top of the 6th details, however, my sister sent me a magazine several years ago entitled The 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers published by The Daily News. It chronicled the entire series play by play & included many great action photos & gave the 1955 record of every Dodger. It also provided much other interesting information, including on the move to LA.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT