ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Four-star LB DJ McClary flips from Penn State to Rutgers Football

I am the only one old enough to remember the posts saying GS shouldn't return as he'd be a lazy recruiter and that NIL would ruin RU and we'd never be able to contend?

GS was and is exactly the right coach for RU and is disproving the haters in a big way.

I am the only one old enough to remember the posts saying GS shouldn't return as he'd be a lazy recruiter and that NIL would ruin RU and we'd never be able to contend?

GS was and is exactly the right coach for RU and is disproving the haters in a big way.
Hopefully so. Still too early to tell, but recruiting is picking up which is a good sign.

We still haven't won more than 3 conference games in a season. And winning 5 or more conference games regularly is probably the minimum expectation for saying RUFB has become truly competitive in the Big Ten.

Until then, IMO, the jury is still out on GSII. Unlike the haters, though, I'm rooting for him to succeed. They seem to be rooting for him to fail, which I don't much understand, but each to their own.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Hopefully so. Still too early to tell, but recruiting is picking up which is a good sign.

We still haven't won more than 3 conference games in a season. And winning 5 or more conference games regularly is probably the minimum expectation for saying RUFB has become truly competitive in the Big Ten.

Until then, IMO, the jury is still out on GSII. Unlike the haters, though, I'm rooting for him to succeed. They seem to be rooting for him to fail, which I don't much understand, but each to their own.
Given that we have played Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year since we joined the B1G, it is extremely difficult to win more than 3 conference games per year. You realize that, correct? We play 9 games. With those 3 losses, we need to go 3-3 in the other games to even win 3. Those 3 are consistently top 15 and more regularly top 10. And those other games are against strong B1G programs. Winning 5 games means going 5-4. If that is your definition of competitive, than we would be non-competitive winning 4 B1G games which I find absurd. Non-competitive is the Ash years. Getting blown out by the good teams and losing to the others. We were competitive last season by almost any rational expectation. With no passing game.

Reactions: RUref
Given that we have played Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year since we joined the B1G, it is extremely difficult to win more than 3 conference games per year. You realize that, correct? We play 9 games. With those 3 losses, we need to go 3-3 in the other games to even win 3. Those 3 are consistently top 15 and more regularly top 10. And those other games are against strong B1G programs. Winning 5 games means going 5-4. If that is your definition of competitive, than we would be non-competitive winning 4 B1G games which I find absurd. Non-competitive is the Ash years. Getting blown out by the good teams and losing to the others. We were competitive last season by almost any rational expectation. With no passing game.
Not sure what difference all that makes to what I said.

GS wasn't hired to be competitive in some hypothetical easy conference. He was hired to produce a winning football program in the Big Ten where we had to play those teams every year. It has become somewhat easier now.

I'm patient w/this stuff. I'm not saying he should've done it already. I've been saying all along that it will take a while to get there. And I'm pleased by the uptick in recruiting and the 7-win season.

But being better than the Ash years is not a remotely reasonable expectation level. It's not even a low bar for success. That bar is buried deep beneath the ground. Winning more than half your conference games is a perfectly reasonable expectation for a coach. The alternative is being happy with mediocrity forever. And winning less than half your conference games is mediocre performance in your conference.

So, I'm not about to hand out participation trophies for being more competitive while still losing lots of conference games. GS is doing well so far. But is he the right person for the job?

The jury is still out on that. Lets see where we're at in a few years.

• Love
Reactions: RUTGERS95
With the commitment from Toms River's Jaelyne Matthews, doesn't that make two RU has lured away from Pedd State ?

Not really. He decommitted from PSU like 9 months ago. The decommitment wasn't driven by the commitment to Rutgers like it was with McClary.

GS wasn't hired to be competitive in some hypothetical easy conference. He was hired to produce a winning football program in the Big Ten where we had to play those teams every year. It has become somewhat easier now.

I'm patient w/this stuff. I'm not saying he should've done it already. I've been saying all along that it will take a while to get there. And I'm pleased by the uptick in recruiting and the 7-win season.

But being better than the Ash years is not a remotely reasonable expectation level. It's not even a low bar for success. That bar is buried deep beneath the ground. Winning more than half your conference games is a perfectly reasonable expectation for a coach. The alternative is being happy with mediocrity forever. And winning less than half your conference games is mediocre performance in your conference.

So, I'm not about to hand out participation trophies for being more competitive while still losing lots of conference games. GS is doing well so far. But is he the right person for the job?

If GS can get us in the mix between OSU, Mich or PSU, he won’t be here long. We don’t have the money to keep him. We can only hope we don’t do a Ash 2.0.

Easy for you to say as all you do as a contributor to this program is post all day long. Maybe if you gave a little coin as so many fans and alums of other programs do you can ask for more. We are in the Big Ten where the fan bases mentioned are very supportive of the programs. They do more than post on the internet.

Reactions: RutgersStadium

Agree.

If GS can get us in the mix between OSU, Mich or PSU, he won’t be here long. We don’t have the money to keep him. We can only hope we don’t do a Ash 2.0.
Getting to 5 conference wins is not the same as getting us in the mix with OSU and UM. One thing at a time.

It's entirely hypothetical and far from being likely at this stage, I think, but I'm not really sure GS would leave for the pros at this point in his career. I think it would have to be the kind of sweetheart deal, including full control over just about everything, that he's extremely unlikely to get at this point.

Keep in mind he already has a record in the pros and it was one of failure. That might not prevent a team or two from making an offer if he took RUFB to a championship or two (which is what it takes to put him in the conversation w/OSU and UM and PSU). But it might limit the quantity and quality of the offers to only those teams who are desperate and unable to attract a more proven pro coach.

Money alone is unlikely to do it, IMO. Although I think we can afford to pay him quite a lot more than we're paying now, if he proves to be worth it, which he has yet to do. OTOH, the whole NIL, and potentially schools paying the players, may turn him off to CFB coaching at some point and that might help convince him to try the NFL again even without a sweetheart deal.

But again, it's so hypothetical that it's mostly pointless to consider.

I would add that GS doesn't have to win a championship (Big Ten or National) in order for me to be content to retain him until retirement. Regularly getting the team to 7-9 wins, beating top 25 teams with some degree of regularity, making most of the games every season realistically winnable, and running a clean program would be enough for me.

Because that would make every season fun and entertaining, with highs and lows and so forth.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
Easy for you to say as all you do as a contributor to this program is post all day long. Maybe if you gave a little coin as so many fans and alums of other programs do you can ask for more. We are in the Big Ten where the fan bases mentioned are very supportive of the programs. They do more than post on the internet.
What makes you think you have any clue what I do for RU athletics? I just told you I would never seriously discuss such things with anonymous people in internet forums. I'd happily make shit up about it to troll people who so rudely probe about it.

And why should I GAF what anybody else does? If they jump off a cliff, should I do the same?

Getting to 5 conference wins is not the same as getting us in the mix with OSU and UM. One thing at a time.

It's entirely hypothetical and far from being likely at this stage, I think, but I'm not really sure GS would leave for the pros at this point in his career. I think it would have to be the kind of sweetheart deal, including full control over just about everything, that he's extremely unlikely to get at this point.

Keep in mind he already has a record in the pros and it was one of failure. That might not prevent a team or two from making an offer if he took RUFB to a championship or two (which is what it takes to put him in the conversation w/OSU and UM and PSU). But it might limit the quantity and quality of the offers to only those teams who are desperate and unable to attract a more proven pro coach.

Money alone is unlikely to do it, IMO. Although I think we can afford to pay him quite a lot more than we're paying now, if he proves to be worth it, which he has yet to do. OTOH, the whole NIL, and potentially schools paying the players, may turn him off to CFB coaching at some point and that might help convince him to try the NFL again even without a sweetheart deal.

I would add that GS doesn't have to win a championship (Big Ten or National) in order for me to be content to retain him until retirement. Regularly getting the team to 7-9 wins, beating top 25 teams with some degree of regularity, making most of the games every season realistically winnable, and running a clean program would be enough for me.

Because that would make every season fun and entertaining, with highs and lows and so forth.
I don’t think it’s the NFL we have to be concern with. If he turns RU into an B1G contender, he will get a look at a NC contender.

What makes you think you have any clue what I do for RU athletics? I just told you I would never seriously discuss such things with anonymous people in internet forums. I'd happily make shit up about it to troll people who so rudely probe about it.

And why should I GAF what anybody else does? If they jump off a cliff, should I do the same?
Your nothing more than a long time poster maybe alum who has never donated squat to Rutgers athletics but demand that our coaches perform to the level of the big boys. We need new fans because the bulk of the current ones just make jokes and are very opinionated but not with money.

I don’t think it’s the NFL we have to be concern with. If he turns RU into an B1G contender, he will get a look at a NC contender.

If Schiano made us a B1G contender (meaning a playoff level program) then I doubt he goes anywhere. He understands the legacy he would have with Rutgers, within the coaching fraternity, and in NJ if Rutgers was going toe to toe with Penn State, Ohio State, USC and Michigan on an annual basis. The place would be bonkers.

If Schiano made us a B1G contender (meaning a playoff level program) then I doubt he goes anywhere. He understands the legacy he would have with Rutgers, within the coaching fraternity, and in NJ if Rutgers was going toe to toe with Penn State, Ohio State, USC and Michigan on an annual basis. The place would be bonkers.
Everything has to lineup just right for us to contend. It’s not a reload program. I think GS knows this. If a reload program comes knocking, I know he wants a crack at the NC.

Everything has to lineup just right for us to contend. It’s not a reload program. I think GS knows this. If a reload program comes knocking, I know he wants a crack at the NC.
They came knocking last time when we were in the Big East and he turned them down, Now you think he’s packing if he has Rutgers in the playoffs?

who is posting in place of Mildone?

Reactions: hoquat63
Your nothing more than a long time poster maybe alum who has never donated squat to Rutgers athletics but demand that our coaches perform to the level of the big boys. We need new fans because the bulk of the current ones just make jokes and are very opinionated but not with money.
stfu trying to push your views of donating on other people. Tell you what, you donate for Mildone since you're so happy to open your wallet.

Nothing worse than a fking loudmouth telling people what, how, and how much they need to contribute.

Reactions: hoquat63

A little confused- was NIL in place in 2019-2020?

A little confused- was NIL in place in 2019-2020?
Nope. Was approved by the NCAA effective 7/1/2021. However, the NCAA started working on the policy change in late 2019. So some posters could have seen this brave new world coming at the time of the Schiano hiring.

I know it's likely a minority view but if Rutgers is "only a TE away from national title contender" (or whatever that thread was), shouldn't the expectation be that the team perform to the level of the big boys?

If the "expectations" are at least 9 wins and compete for a CFP spot, then shouldn't the coaches be held to those expectations?

Unless you're saying expectations should be lower.

never gonna happen . If he gets us to that level Rutgers will Mortgage old Queens to keep him happy and we will be flush with more cash than we know what to do with it.

Reactions: Kbee3
never gonna happen . If he gets us to that level Rutgers will Mortgage old Queens to keep him happy and we will be flush with more cash than we know what to do with it.
Look at the pay gap. I’m not just saying HC pay, but an over coaching pay pool. I hope we get to find out that you are right.

“The 6-foot-2, 205-pound linebacker had verbally committed to the Nittany Lions in September, but began to look elsewhere following former Penn State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz - McClary's main recruiter - took the head coaching job at Duke.”

Hopefully the holdouts finally realize that most elite recruits commit to a coach or staff and not a school.
The “good ole days” of CFB that people romanticize hasn’t been around for a long time.

Reactions: BLewis1968
“The 6-foot-2, 205-pound linebacker had verbally committed to the Nittany Lions in September, but began to look elsewhere following former Penn State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz - McClary's main recruiter - took the head coaching job at Duke.”

Hopefully the holdouts finally realize that most elite recruits commit to a coach or staff and not a school.
The “good ole days” of CFB that people romanticize hasn’t been around for a long time.
Do you think that is true for Ohio State, Alabama, and dare I add Notre Dame?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT