ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman

ch414

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
Any definitive sword on his DNP? Interesting, and disappointing, that when the team went to celebrate with the student section, he walked off the court by himself without going there.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Any definitive sword on his DNP? Interesting, and disappointing, that when the team went to celebrate with the student section, he walked off the court by himself without going there.

Not a good look by a senior captain.

And when Corey hit the game tying 3, he raised his arms, but stayed in his chair.
Everyone else got up (as you would expect).

Maybe needs to sit again next game?

Definitely a good sign for next year with how well we played without him.
Only losing Sa (who was huge tonight) and Williams (who provided more senior leadership and glue.)

Get it together, Deshawn!!
Finish your career with pride and no regrets!

Per Carino, "Pikiell said it was a coaches decision"....mmmmm....sounds like coach speak for disclipinary action...Post above by OP clearly indicates as such as someone else mentioned the above to me as well after the game.

Hopefully whatever it was, Freeman takes it to heart and gets his game and act together for the stretch run especially as this is his last year.

disappointing because he is the senior captain. Good job by Pike to instill discipline and risk possibly losing a game. Great job by him getting his players focused and on the same page for this game and ready to step up in the absence of Freeman. Now its up to Freeman to step up next opportunity or disappear into the ether of Rutgers basketball past.

Pikiell was interviewed by B1G network and was asked about Freeman. Pikiell artfully danced around answering why Freeman didn't play, but what he said and didn't say clearly gave me the impression it was disciplinary. And good for him as I explained in my thread. Freeman has been playing selfishly of late and I'm tired of him missing 6 to 8 chippies every game.

Reactions: colbert17
disappointing because he is the senior captain. Good job by Pike to instill discipline and risk possibly losing a game. Great job by him getting his players focused and on the same page for this game and ready to step up in the absence of Freeman. Now its up to Freeman to step up next opportunity or disappear into the ether of Rutgers basketball past.

“...or disappear into the ether of Rutgers basketball past.”

An apt description of the fork in the road facing Freeman at this point. Well said!

Addition by subtraction which ive been saying all season about him only to get shredded every time i said it. Can you all agree with me now that this team is better off wihout him?

Reactions: mikemarc1 and Goku
saw this on the corey 3, but in OT when Thiam hit his 3, he was up and both arms up with the "3" signs, cheering and animated.

Not a good look by a senior captain.

And when Corey hit the game tying 3, he raised his arms, but stayed in his chair.
Everyone else got up (as you would expect).

Maybe needs to sit again next game?

Definitely a good sign for next year with how well we played without him.
Only losing Sa (who was huge tonight) and Williams (who provided more senior leadership and glue.)

Get it together, Deshawn!!
Finish your career with pride and no regrets!

Has to be a major slap in the face to see the team win a game without him ever stepping on the court. Going forward it's up to him to act like a leader. Future players will see that Pike will demand total effort or he will sit them. No one player is bigger than the program. Gotta love Pikiell and the standard he's trying to establish at Rutgers.

Don't know the circumstances, but REALLY glad we were able to get the win without him.

Has to be a shot of confidence to the other players (especially Eugene) that they were able to notch a W without the team's leading rebounder and 2nd leading scorer - and it's a positive sign for next year after Freeman graduates.

Freeman was hanging around Myles Johnson from the National Anthem to the end of the game. Watched his body language throughout the game. Seemed to be entertained. Wasn't totally moping. After the game watched as he stood away from the players and was standing next to Johnson by the walk ons. Saw that as the players were running to the students he turned and left the floor. Coach Knight was walking next to him.

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
Freeman was hanging around Myles Johnson from the National Anthem to the end of the game. Watched his body language throughout the game. Seemed to be entertained. Wasn't totally moping. After the game watched as he stood away from the players and was standing next to Johnson by the walk ons. Saw that as the players were running to the students he turned and left the floor. Coach Knight was walking next to him.

During the Indiana game, he spent several timeouts either sitting solo on the bench muttering to himself, or seated on a chair outside of the huddle (actually facing the rear end of a standing walk-on).

Last night he was as disengaged as one would expect given the DNP.

Sorry to say it, but my buddy & I were happy to see EO start over him. Eugene is unselfish, and can create shots for himself and others in the high post.

Freeman has some talents, but he grossly overrates them, and does not adjust to his size disadvantage. The 1-on-1 shake & bake moves that lead to missed lay-ups or rejections or TO's, the ole defense where he doesn't want to move his feet so he slaps at the ball after his man has driven by...it can be maddening to watch.

Some fans see the top line 'double doubles' and rush to defend him against criticism, but I think it's warranted. He is a PF shooting .399 from the field this season.

I should add that there have been several games where his defensive effort has been outstanding for stretches. I wish it had been more consistent.

His body language wasn't great, but it's possible some of that is embarrassment. He certainly was into it during overtime.

We are not better off without him. He certainly plays out of control for stretches but he is a talented player who contributes on both ends of the floor, albeit inconsistently (like most of the team). Geo hasn't made anything in a month and we're not talking about him as a black hole, nor should we. We're not good enough to think we're better off without Deshawn and I hope he's back this weekend.

Freeman could be a great contributor if he plays defense, rebounds and shoots in the flow of the game. Hopefully the game off will give him perspective for the stretch run. Ball movement was excellent last night, for the first time in a long time.

I thought his body language was better yesterday on the bench than in the last few weeks on the court! I hope he comes back and lights it up.

Kid sat out his next to last home game as a college player EVER!

DW was hurting because of it, I promise you that. He really wears his heart on his sleeve at times. Given the situation I thought his body language and game engagement was pretty damn good.

DeShawn is a kid who's learned a lot about life since he joined Rutgers. Everyone here should be proud that he's going to be a much better person for having selected Rutgers. I can't wait to honor him personally next weekend with his jersey presentation

He looked to be in tears after the game. Not an easy journey. I think he bounces back strong. There is still time left in his college career. $$$$

I'm not a buyer of "addition by subtraction" re: Freeman. He's a really valuable player if he stays within his strengths (rebounding, short jump hooks, grinding down low, and the VERY occasional 10 ft jumper).

Let's not kid ourselves, last night's performance was not an offensive display but any means. It was bad offensive basketball for nearly 34 minutes of the game. And NW had their best player on the bench injured. And Corey was spectacular and carried the team. So I'm not buying that Freeman's vacancy created a different outcome for RU. Maybe Freeman being off the court got Corey an extra shot or two, which to be honest, last night is the difference between an L and getting to OT.

I agree about Pike, also I would like to add, I don't care if he plays again this
year, let one or the young guys get more playing time, they will need it for next year.

Kid sat out his next to last home game as a college player EVER!

DW was hurting because of it, I promise you that. He really wears his heart on his sleeve at times. Given the situation I thought his body language and game engagement was pretty damn good.

DeShawn is a kid who's learned a lot about life since he joined Rutgers. Everyone here should be proud that he's going to be a much better person for having selected Rutgers. I can't wait to honor him personally next weekend with his jersey presentation

Nice post

I hope Freeman bounces back and finishes strong this season.
He usually plays very hard. Just not always the best decision maker.
Maybe the game off helps in that regard.

Addition by subtraction which ive been saying all season about him only to get shredded every time i said it. Can you all agree with me now that this team is better off wihout him?
Your favorite player did really well with Freeman's minutes didn't he?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: RW90 and shields
Let's not kid ourselves, last night's performance was not an offensive display but any means. It was bad offensive basketball for nearly 34 minutes of the game.

Actually, the 1.06 points per possession we scored last night was our third-best effort in the Big Ten this season, behind the Purdue game (1.17) and the Iowa game (1.19).

Shows how far we have to go but still.

I do not tune into social media during the game or before it.

Part of me was wondering if Pikiell is preparing for the future. After he never came in though, and no one said anything about injury, I thought it had to be pretty ridiculous what happened.

I hope Deshawn has his best night on senior night. He has battled his whole life. Most do not know what he has been through, and I will let you guys do your own searching if you really want to know. He has battled a lot of adversity and tough times.

I will say, it does bode well for the team how they were able to pick up the slack, and win without Freeman. Still hope to see Freeman bounce back. Let's go 33!

Reactions: AD888
Freeman is cabbage.

He takes the air completely out of the ball. He goes back to the basket and tries to play like he’s Melo.

He is a hustle player, period. He is NOT a go to offensive weapon like he thinks he is. Him thinking he has any business shooting 3s is laughable.

Pike noticing it was time he sits has actually increased my opinion of him as a coach.

Am always surprised at the Freeman bashing. He is one the few guys on the team that can score consistently from the post, leads the team in steals and rebounds. Kid is a warrior and leaves nothing on the court when he plays.
Criticism is baseless - sure he has flaws - but you got to love the effort and hustle he brings.

I hope Deshawn has his best night on senior night. He has battled his whole life. Most do not know what he has been through, and I will let you guys do your own searching if you really want to know. He has battled a lot of adversity and tough times.

go 33!

So if he has experience fighting through what sounds like major adversity, then doing the right thing now, being a better TEAM player and having the discipline to stay within his capabilities should be EASY. Hope 33 becomes a better player for himself and his teammates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT