ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen will lead this team to a bowl this year

While I have seen signs that this team is starting to come together in Ash's mold, a bowl (even at 5-7) is a tall order. What games are you picking as the wins?

There will be growing pains along the way with this many new guys playing. I would expect a bowl in 2018. Game experience, building of depth and an easier schedule will help.

While I have seen signs that this team is starting to come together in Ash's mold, a bowl (even at 5-7) is a tall order. What games are you picking as the wins?

Do we even have 5 winnable games left on the schedule?

@ Nebraska - possible
Ohio St - unlikely
@ Illinois - possible
@ Michigan - unlikely
Maryland - possible
@ Penn St - unlikely
Indiana - possible
@ Mich St - unlikely

If everything goes right, and we play as well as can be expected, I only see 4 possible wins. And quite honestly, I think it is more likely that we lose all 4 of those games than win all 4. It would take a minor miracle to be bowl eligible.

[in Edit, I missed Purdue on the list above. But my point still stands. It would take a minor miracle and everything going right for Rutgers to become bowl eligible.]

Last edited:
No way these kids can get us to a bowl this year, but that is not a bad thing.

What I want to see is them get pieces of legit playing time to gain experience, hopefully we avoid the blowout losses to the best of the B1G East, and get ready for next year. We constantly talk about how we still need to get more depth, for this reason, it is unrealistic to expect our freshmen to carry us to a bowl. I see a lot of talent in our recruits, and as this becomes more common, I hope for big things.

Better the kids play without the lofty expectations than to expect to much and have them affected by not reaching that goal. I expect mistakes, but when they're this young (re: green) let them learn without consequence. (This is not to suggest that mistakes aren't pointed out/corrected, only that they don't immediately put you on the pine.)

when Ash beats a power five school,or gets his first B10 win,then you can talk about reaching the 500 mark . A bowl game this season is an extreme longshot when you cant beat a mid level Mac school at Home..

@ Nebraska - possible
Ohio St - unlikely
@ Illinois - possible
@ Michigan - unlikely
Maryland - possible
@ Penn St - unlikely
Indiana - possible
@ Mich St - unlikely

If everything goes right, and we play as well as can be expected, I only see 4 possible wins. And quite honestly, I think it is more likely that we lose all 4 of those games than win all 4. It would take a minor miracle to be bowl eligible.
Haven't checked but your missing a non B1G game

@ Nebraska - possible
Ohio St - unlikely
@ Illinois - possible
@ Michigan - unlikely
Maryland - possible
@ Penn St - unlikely
Indiana - possible
@ Mich St - unlikely

Completely agree with your premise, but think we might have a better chance to upset Michigan State than beating Maryland this year. Time will tell, but your completely right FOUR wins seems like an impossible task, where would we find a fifth?

Reactions: ScarletKnightRider
When it comes to RU football I like to be optimistic.....even through the rough times. However if Rutgers doesn't show up at Nebraska and win(which is quite the task to accomplish even with their sluggish start) then I just don't see RU bowling this year. Purdue and Marlyand are looking good so those will be tough games to win. A win for me would be keeping all these BIG matchups competitive. Stay in the game and show improvement on both sides of the ball and S/T.

Reactions: Knight Shift

@ Nebraska - possible
Ohio St - unlikely
@ Illinois - possible
@ Michigan - unlikely
Maryland - possible
@ Penn St - unlikely
Indiana - possible
@ Mich St - unlikely

Thanks for bring me back down to earth. I am trying to be positive on monday's.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Haven't checked but your missing a non B1G game

No, he's missing a home game against Purdue on October 21. That game appears tougher after lighting up Mizzou 35-3 this past Saturday as I thought it was a W entering the season.

Of all games left on schedule, Nebraska definitely in top 4 of most winnable (I could easily argue top 2 as they've actually been very bad this year). Win this week and some of us can again dream about a bowl as even remotely possible.
(BTW, I was really thinking 6 wins before season but after the loss to East mich and seeing the improvement of most other bottom feeders, I'm thinking 1-2 wins this year. Please be wrong!).

Reactions: ATIOH and Loyal-Son
getting to a bowl is a real stretch....if we play , and give the effort like the washington game we have a shot to win 4, or 5 games.the EMU debacle
was a let down by a young,and not used to getting praised team. blame the
coaches, im not all in on that blame, but they are the leaders, and thats there
job to keep the kids level headed, and focused.....also, who knows EMU might
be pretty decent this year. we shall see........like playing tennis with someone
who is terrible at it. the good player usually drops to the level of the lousy player............. why this happens
is any ones guess....this team might be tough this year against the big boys, and need to stay focused with maybe our games with illinois, purdue, and
indiana, ill throw maryland in there also even though it looks like there taking
the next step......this weeks game will dictate how the rest of the season will
play out.if we get blown out, well ouch...thats gonna hurt. if we play a nail
biter...that will show progress, and if we win. that will set the tone. it will
shock a lot of the naysayers,even though nebraska hasnt looked like the
huskers of past years. still, a win will be huge for every one involved..
now im the worst game picker in the world. if i was betting this week.
i would mortgage the ranch on the cornhuskers giving the points. every
thing points to a blowout.a big , and noisy crowd, a pissed off coach, a team thats
foaming at the mouth , and out for blood. easy money it seems. like to me. like i stated above im the worst handicapper in the world. which means RU is a LOCK !

@ Nebraska - possible
Ohio St - unlikely
@ Illinois - possible
@ Michigan - unlikely
Maryland - possible
@ Penn St - unlikely
Indiana - possible
@ Mich St - unlikely

I think there is some thought that there are not enough bowl teams so we could go at 5-7, needing only 4 games and including Purdue having some margin for error, but in any case I agree the chances are quite slim. Considering next week is basically a must win IMO to even hit 5, I think we'll know soon enough.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Unfortunately, EMU was a season defining loss which killed 2017. There is no way around it. I would bet on 2-10 before I'd bet on 4+. At this point let's be competitive, bring in another good class, and keep things trending in the right direction.

Reactions: noble106
Our task is a difficult one,considering the conference we,re in. Yes, we are getting better, but so is everyone else. And, some like Maryland, Indiana, and Purdue are doing it a lot faster. I realistically don't see a bowl for another two years. What gives me hope is the improvement we should see at the qb slot. If you have a dynamic qb, you have a chance.

How about doing nothing other than starting the true Freshman QB whose redshirt we burned? Probably won't get us a Bowl bid this season, but will accelerate the rebuild when he takes over as the full time starter in 2018.

Reactions: billhilf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT