ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball FULL 2021-22 Rutgers Men's Basketball Schedule

That's a really tough December game but good to get it out of the way I suppose. I hope our other December game is home vs. Penn State, Wisconsin, or Iowa.

We play at Illinois and home vs Purdue in December and I believe home vs Michigan in early January. Brutally hard start to B1G play.

That's a really tough December game but good to get it out of the way I suppose. I hope our other December game is home vs. Penn State, Wisconsin, or Iowa.
Rather it be on the road so we have a chance to break serve and not be broken.

I saw December 5 hosting Maryland

Rutgers @ Illinois Dec 3

Purdue at Rutgers Dec. 9

Ohio State @ Rutgers Feb 9

Penn State @ Rutgers Mar 6

Friday, December 3, 2021
Rutgers at Illinois

Thursday, December 9
Purdue at Rutgers

Tuesday, January 4
Michigan at Rutgers

Saturday, January 8
Nebraska at Rutgers

Tuesday, January 11
Rutgers at Penn State

Saturday, January 15
Rutgers at Maryland

Wednesday, January 19
Iowa at Rutgers

Saturday, January 22
Rutgers at Minnesota

Tuesday, January 25
Maryland at Rutgers

Saturday, January 29
Rutgers at Nebraska

Tuesday, February 1
Rutgers at Northwestern

Saturday, February 5
Michigan State at Rutgers

Wednesday, February 9
Ohio State at Rutgers

Saturday, February 12
Rutgers at Wisconsin

Wednesday, February 16
Illinois at Rutgers

Sunday, February 20
Rutgers at Purdue

Wednesday, February 23
Rutgers at Michigan

Saturday, February 26
Wisconsin at Rutgers

Wednesday, March 2
Rutgers at Indiana

Sunday, March 6
Penn State at Rutgers

15% Friday, December 3, 2021
Rutgers at Illinois

37% Thursday, December 9
Purdue at Rutgers

37% Tuesday, January 4
Michigan at Rutgers

66% Saturday, January 8
Nebraska at Rutgers

37% Tuesday, January 11
Rutgers at Penn State

24% Saturday, January 15
Rutgers at Maryland

64% Wednesday, January 19
Iowa at Rutgers

58% Saturday, January 22
Rutgers at Minnesota

51% Tuesday, January 25
Maryland at Rutgers

37% Saturday, January 29
Rutgers at Nebraska

34% Tuesday, February 1
Rutgers at Northwestern

51% Saturday, February 5

41% Wednesday, February 9
Ohio State at Rutgers

35% Saturday, February 12
Rutgers at Wisconsin

37% Wednesday, February 16
Illinois at Rutgers

15% Sunday, February 20
Rutgers at Purdue

15% Wednesday, February 23
Rutgers at Michigan

64% Saturday, February 26
Wisconsin at Rutgers

25% Wednesday, March 2
Rutgers at Indiana

66% Sunday, March 6
Penn State at Rutgers

bart probabilities... 8-12

Too early bubble is 18-13. Which might be 9-2 9-11.
Just asking: you're giving us losses to Clemson AND the Hall? I'm not sure we go 10-1 or 11-0 in Non conference either but to contemplate splitting those two and a WTF loss could be curiously bad...

I'll go with 10-1 and 10-10

Season tickets are only $ 300 and if you are watching the budget no need to pay for parking if you don’t mind walking a bit. Rutgers Ticket Office phone number is 866-445-4678.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Just asking: you're giving us losses to Clemson AND the Hall? I'm not sure we go 10-1 or 11-0 in Non conference either but to contemplate splitting those two and a WTF loss could be curiously bad...

I give us roughly these chances:
@ UMass - 75% to win
@ Depaul - 60% to win
vs. Clemson - 70% to win
@ Seton Hall - 50% to win

That's 2.55 expected wins out of 4. So a toss-up between 2-2 and 3-1.

Bart Torvik actually gives us the following chances:
@ UMass - 53% to win
@ Depaul - 43% to win
vs. Clemson - 63% to win
@ Seton Hall - 27% to win

That's 1.86 expected wins.

If we go 3-1 or 4-0 I'll feel good about our tournament chances. 2-2 and it'll be looking like an NIT caliber team.

Reactions: RUHouston
One quirk for the 1/4 Michigan game:

The Wolverines play in Orlando at UCF on 12/30. Then they'll presumably go back to Ann Arbor, and then they have to travel to New Jersey for the game on the 4th. That's a lot of traveling whereas Rutgers doesn't have to travel outside of the state after December 3. The Wolverines' very next game is a rivalry game against MSU too. Can't get a better draw against an elite team than that.

Last edited:
I give us roughly these chances:
@ UMass - 75% to win
@ Depaul - 60% to win
vs. Clemson - 70% to win
@ Seton Hall - 50% to win

That's 2.55 expected wins out of 4. So a toss-up between 2-2 and 3-1.

Bart Torvik actually gives us the following chances:
@ UMass - 53% to win
@ Depaul - 43% to win
vs. Clemson - 63% to win
@ Seton Hall - 27% to win

That's 1.86 expected wins.

If we go 3-1 or 4-0 I'll feel good about our tournament chances. 2-2 and it'll be looking like an NIT caliber team.
I guess I have some pretty big scarlet glasses...

Reactions: RutgHoops
I’m personally no longer worried about “WTF” losses in non-conference play under Pikiell in year 6, but whether we go 10-1, 9-2, or even 8-3, the key to a tourney appearance will still be our B1G play.

One quirk for the 1/4 Michigan game:

The Wolverines play in Orlando at UCF on 12/30. Then they'll presumably go back to Ann Arbor, and then they have to travel to New Jersey for the game on the 4th. That's a lot of traveling whereas Rutgers doesn't have to travel outside of the state after December 3. The Wolverines' very next game is a rivalry game against MSU too. Can't get a better draw against an elite team than that.
It’s not like these teams fly commercial . They charter flights and will be home on the 30th, home for 3 days and fly to jersey on 1/3. It’s really not that bad . Maybe hope for a snowstorm in Michigan so they can’t get home for a couple days !

These aren’t predictions. I actually am not optimistic about the season.

the best bubble estimate is 18-13. With our schedule the most likely way we’d go is 9-2 9-11.

UMASS, Depaul, Clemson and SHU plus small chance of upset in other 7 is how I arrive at 9-2.

just looking at umass Depaul Clemson SHU a 2-2 record is the most probable.

Last edited:
I’m personally no longer worried about “WTF” losses in non-conference play under Pikiell in year 6, but whether we go 10-1, 9-2, or even 8-3, the key to a tourney appearance will still be our B1G play.
I disagree here. Each of our 25+ games (20 B1G , B1GT, dep, Clem, SHU Mass) has almost the same importance.

9-2 9-11 equals 8-3 10-10 equals 7-4 11-9.

I need to know what Harper and Baker I get. If we get 2020-21 versions we are looking at a LONG season.
You will get similar seasons because their goals aren't to dominate the ball and take 40 shots between them.

RU is in a player role and development mode that is or will expand roles for Cliff, Caleb, Hyatt, Mulcahy and Jones to fill in the production of the departed Myles, Mathis and Jacob Young.

Add in a reliable Ralph Agee and this is a balanced roster. It would be a bad sign if you see significant production increases from RHJ and Baker.....

You will get similar seasons because their goals aren't to dominate the ball and take 40 shots between them.

RU is in a player role and development mode that is or will expand roles for Cliff, Caleb, Hyatt, Mulcahy and Jones to fill in the production of the departed Myles, Mathis and Jacob Young.

Add in a reliable Ralph Agee and this is a balanced roster. It would be a bad sign if you see significant production increases from RHJ and Baker.....
I am talking about defense and making shots. Quality and not quantity

Reactions: Scarlet83
Just mapped out my schedule for the season. Going to be going to probably about 15 games. Got lucky with only 2 tax season Saturday games and those being Nebraska and wisky is not too bad

Yes, they likely need to play better D this year for us to dance again. I think they will rise to the challenge.

Reactions: RUDead
Although it will be difficult , because of the pandemic and the lack of fans, the return of the RAC crazies will propel us to a 17-0 undefeated home record. Have to take care of business in the out of conference road games at DePaul, at Umass, and at Seton Hall . Our rebounding has to return to pre 2020 levels, which was really dismal last year, and the offense and defense will fall in place . Lots of options offensively, but I believe Ron and Geo will have their best seasons on the banks to propel us to the top 3 -4 in the conference with a chance down the stretch . . I think defensively, Pike gets the guards to make up for Jacob, and Hyatt , Mag, and Ron and Cliff take another huge step defensively. Enjoy the ride as it will be an exciting season . If the early Olympic sports success is any indication, , , Rutgers will be a force in the Big 10 the rest of this decade.

Can’t wait until March as we go to the NCAAs for the third year in a row. Keep it going Coach Pike !

Although it will be difficult , because of the pandemic and the lack of fans, the return of the RAC crazies will propel us to a 17-0 undefeated home record. Have to take care of business in the out of conference road games at DePaul, at Umass, and at Seton Hall . Our rebounding has to return to pre 2020 levels, which was really dismal last year, and the offense and defense will fall in place . Lots of options offensively, but I believe Ron and Geo will have their best seasons on the banks to propel us to the top 3 -4 in the conference with a chance down the stretch . . I think defensively, Pike gets the guards to make up for Jacob, and Hyatt , Mag, and Ron and Cliff take another huge step defensively. Enjoy the ride as it will be an exciting season . If the early Olympic sports success is any indication, , , Rutgers will be a force in the Big 10 the rest of this decade.
This is the blueprint

Reactions: goru7
Saturday, February 5

Wednesday, February 9
Ohio State at Rutgers

Saturday, February 12
Rutgers at Wisconsin

Wednesday, February 16
Illinois at Rutgers

Sunday, February 20
Rutgers at Purdue

Wednesday, February 23
Rutgers at Michigan

Saturday, February 26
Wisconsin at Rutgers

Wednesday, March 2
Rutgers at Indiana

The stretch from 2/5 thru 3/2 is absolutely brutal. 8 really really tough games. Have to hope Wisconsin has a bad year.

Really like starting with a tough schedule. Gives the team something to motivate toward early and provides a measuring stick.. if we raise the level of play for them.. even if we lose.. the lesser teams will seem like cupcakes in comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT