ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW, RU was invited but turned down CBI

bracket..click to make bigger

D153ngrXgAADy_5.jpg

I see West Virginia hosts Grand Canyon on Wednesday night. The Coliseum will be rocking!

Besides the fact that the CBI is total garbage with a collection of total nobodies other than being headlined by an awful WVU team, we lost 3 straight and really should not be in post season play. Turning it down was the right thing. NIT or bust.

I think this team needs the summer to regroup and get their heads on straight. Last thing the three game decline needed was to be followed by a loss to a much lower regarded team in the CBI.

If we'd beaten Nebraska and had a strong showing against Maryland, I might feel differently. Team didn't need to go to any sort of postseason after their finish.

Go lace up for practice and get some good experience in Spain.

I think injuries and numbers of minutes that some of these guys put up this season meant we turn that down.. but we are a young team.. more practices,more game the better... but the money spent on the CBI could go to an overseas trip to get that same exp.

Completely understand and agree declining due to health and gas in the tanks but lol at anyone saying it was right to decline because of our performance in the last 3 games of the season or because of the quality of tournament. Were not Duke... we need all the time we can get to improve and no tournament is beneath us

We shouldve accepted. I personally wouldve liked to. Just more games to get better. Its a decent field too. Are we a better program than WVU? Are we better than huggy bear? Shouldve accepted
If we accepted, paid the $ to enter, and then played our first game like we did our last three...

Imagine the news? First round cbi elimination? Our guys were so gassed I just wouldn't risk that outcome..we lost enough momentum as it is.

You gain nothing playing in that tournament IMO and there is the potential to get a black eye.

Health and money . Both the best kind of reasons to turn it down.
Eh, Rutgers didn't turn this one down for money. We would've gotten what? 2 home games? I bet you we'd have 4k fans at each game. if it's 4k fans with even an average ticket price of just $20 which is super conservative, that right there is already $80k in revenue. Lets assume concession and parking covers the overhead of running an event at the RAC, this one would've made money.

This wasn't about the money, it was the fact that pike didn't want it. I don't have a strong opinion either way, pike knows best. But I would've liked to see our young team gain more experience and play for some sort of title. Would've been nice to see us go up against lets say WVU in the championship game. You're lying if you sit here and say you'd have no interest in that

For the past few years there was talk about CBI. There were always excuses that they should just shut it down. Gassed? If they did beat Fordham or Penn St or Iowa would they still be gassed for the NIT? Pike knows best but its another reason other than being gassed.

Reactions: RU_kidding_me
Eh, Rutgers didn't turn this one down for money. We would've gotten what? 2 home games? I bet you we'd have 4k fans at each game. if it's 4k fans with even an average ticket price of just $20 which is super conservative, that right there is already $80k in revenue. Lets assume concession and parking covers the overhead of running an event at the RAC, this one would've made money.

This wasn't about the money, it was the fact that pike didn't want it. I don't have a strong opinion either way, pike knows best. But I would've liked to see our young team gain more experience and play for some sort of title. Would've been nice to see us go up against lets say WVU in the championship game. You're lying if you sit here and say you'd have no interest in that

More like 1500 fans

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Magoo
$$$$$$$$$$
We don't have it.
Alcohol sales next year.
RU can't print money and unlike the federal government will have to balance budget eventually.

I bet if we split with penn state and Indiana Or beat Nebraska we play in the CBI. Unfortunately the team was on a 3 game losing streak. a CBI win means nothing but a CBI loss could be very embarrassing and damaging to the program. It is a no win situation. Especially for a team who will have high expectations next year

Gene should not play anymore for a good while, rest up that knee.... knowing his desire, he probably would have been out there abusing it some more

For the past few years there was talk about CBI. There were always excuses that they should just shut it down. Gassed? If they did beat Fordham or Penn St or Iowa would they still be gassed for the NIT? Pike knows best but its another reason other than being gassed.

But there is very little upside to the CBI, especially if you don't get to the finals. There is a lot more upside to the NIT. So it is worth the risk of an early loss.

Reactions: PaKnight
I think this was good to get Eugene off that knee. It would have been nice for our freshmen but if we lost to a mid major we would have been ripped by some people. Geo looked beaten down these last few games so it might be the right decision. If we did get 4,000 fans and got a few home games I would have liked to see it but I just might try to go to Spain to see the team in August if fans are allowed to go. I believe we also turned down a CBI offer either last year or in 2017 plus Mike Rice turned it down once as well.Rice said he would never go to a tournament unless we were at least .500,in winning percentage.

about every team in our league is

More like 1500 fans
I just totally disagree. So we draw 4500 for eastern michigan on a cold wednesday night in november but we couldn't draw 4k for central michigan, grand canyon or stony brook? You know they would've given us stony brook. In fact, if our draw was stony brook im going to say attendance would be closer to the 4500-5000 mark.

stop it.. those ticket sales for Eastern Michigan....that is bought and paid for, not two days advance with school on break and playing Bumblebee State in a meaningless game

you are so off the mark with attendence figures, its the CBI and we are 14-17, you are vastly overestimating the interest in watching RU play schools worse than any other Big 10 schools we faced at home.

GCU has a really exciting basketball program and campus, I hope they get some home games in this, that place would be rocking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT