ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 20 PENN STATE: A Disgrace

penn state is horrible...i thought they were a decent offensive team, they are not, they had alot of open look chucks that were total bricks as well.

Ru should have been up 15-3 early and then cruised to a win in the 2nd half if the defense was so good
We shot 34% overall and 6% from 3. You are going to lose to just about anyone (except maybe Stonehill) shooting like that.

Is there $?
Do players want to come to get scraps left from Ace and Dylan?

If i were advising a player i would tell them stay clear away from Rutgers
Why? If you are the likes of a Cam Spencer two years ago, why the heck wouldn't you want to play for Rutgers and its massive incoming talent next year?

Reactions: cshelley
We sucked tonight, but this team is better than that, which makes me wonder whether there are chemistry problems on the team. Our effort wasn't there, we didn't get any loose balls, and guys just look like they didn't want to be out there. Hyatt and Mag being benched most of the 2nd half. Something is just not right. Have heard a few other knowledgeable folks wondering the same thing. Pike needs to sort this out as we're headed towards his worst season since coming here. This performance was LittleJordanPage-esque. Not sure I'll be going to the next home game, as I want no part of that again.
Actually, I think you are wrong, this team is not better than that. This is a historically bad offensive team. When you consistently shoot in the mid 30s, and less than 20% from 3, you are going to lose a lot of games.

Actually, I think you are wrong, this team is not better than that. This is a historically bad offensive team. When you consistently shoot in the mid 30s, and less than 20% from 3, you are going to lose a lot of games.
Actually this team is better offensively than last year... per Hawk's latest post on the Round Table

Is there $?
Do players want to come to get scraps left from Ace and Dylan?

If i were advising a player i would tell them stay clear away from Rutgers
From what I have gathered, the NIL going to Harper and Bailey are mainly from brands and sponsors trying to get in early on expected top 5 NBA draft picks, and his little to nothing to do with Rutgers. I have no idea what money will still be available for portal players, but it doesn’t seem like Ace and Dylan reduce the pot.

Disagree. I'm saying we're better than we showed tonight. We do have some decent wins and we played Purdue tough, so we're capable of playing much better than being embarrassed at home by one of the worst teams in the league. Agree we're a terrible shooting team and it's a simple game - if you can't make shots or FTs, it's hard to win.

Disagree. I'm saying we're better than we showed tonight. We do have some decent wins and we played Purdue tough, so we're capable of playing much better than being embarrassed at home by one of the worst teams in the league. Agree we're a terrible shooting team and it's a simple game - if you can't make shots or FTs, it's hard to win.
Our only decent win is against SHU, we should have lost to Stonehill. This is a bad team.

I hate to say it but it starts and ends with the lack of development with Cliff. He is brutal. With him as a liability in the post, we have no chance with the guards creating on their own

I’ll tell you one thing, I remember a lot of Rutgers players for one thing or another, but mostly for being warriors in good and bad times, in 3 years or less I won’t think about any of these guys, I’ll remember Cliff perhaps as a great disappointment.
Yes. Cliff has been overall a big disappointment, though I will say he has little to work with this year.

Pikes recruiting is awful
Absolutely awful
You don’t make the tournament in back to back seasons and then bring in the guys that he brought in.
The issues I have with him is that it looks like he’s trying to build around defense. That might work in football, but and maybe even for an extended time in bball, but how do you go from recruiting guys like Harper, Geo, McConnell, Mathis, and Myles to what we have now.
Pike leaves A LOT to be desired. PSU pretty much replaced their entire roster last year and whooped our ass

I’m not sure Pike is the coach for us as a program to take the next step. No excuses next year, I hope Pike can learn to coach on the other end of the floor

Lost season true. Oregon State went to elite 8. Following year they were like 3-28. Can't make it up.

Actually this team is better offensively than last year... per Hawk's latest post on the Round Table

The team (before last night's debacle) averages 2 more PPG than last year's team, once you subtract the nonsense of Central Connecticut State and Rider etc.

The numbers are the numbers, the goal (I believe) is not to be the most efficient team, it is to actually score more points per game.

If you or others disagree with the actual numbers, then that's fine. But this notion that RU was some sort of scoring outfit that was way more effective last year vs this year, is simply not true.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
the team was garbage the last 10 minutes, they lost every loose ball and there was no one sliding and giving their body up to go after it. the final few minute was an absolute throw in the towel cave
I got up and left with a couple minutes to go after a particularly egregious lack of effort by Noah to go after a loose ball. Not to pick on him, he wasn't the only one.

Hard to find the right adjectives to describe how bad that was last night. I resorted to trying to crack funny one liners in the game thread to alleviate the pain. Unfortunately I am just not that funny. I don't have much to add to what has already been said but looking at the big picture, Pike is not going anywhere for a few years given the extension our gracious AD bestowed upon him recently.

He needs to take a hard look at his coaching staff and see if he has the right balance between recruiting and coaching/player development. This roster contains too many recruits that just are not good enough. I also think his record for player development is generally weak,

While defense and effort should be a constant and requirement for minutes, you need to find some guys with offensive skills as well. I like to watch what players do on the offensive end when they don't have the ball. I still can't figure out what we are trying to accomplish most of the time in a half court set. Run better off ball motion set screen and move the ball. Yes this group might not make an open shot but it will look like you have a clue. Seems like on many possessions little happens until the shot clock is winding down and then someone tries an iso move. Even some of the few JMike and Simpson makes last night had a high degree of difficulty associated with them

Roster management is too volatile year to year to take any consolation in a longer term view of where the program is headed. If you have a big NIL bag you will get more shots at the apple but in RU's case a season like this is very damaging. Pike has done some very good things here but the recent trend line of results is not good and he needs to own that. Either he adapts or gets put on the hot seat. Having such a highly regarded recruiting class can be a blessing or a curse.

The numbers are the numbers, the goal (I believe) is not to be the most efficient team, it is to actually score more points per game.
The goal is to actual score more points per game..... than the other team.

Points per game in a vacuum isn't that meaningful. If you're getting two more points on four more possessions, that's not good.

We're playing faster, but less efficiently. It's better to score 60 points in a 58 possession game than to score 62 points in a 64 possession game.

There are no words

Dogshit effort

Dogshit coaching

2 bright spots...J Mike and Gavin. Only ones who belonged in a uni tonight

The awful maac level recruiting playing a role and Pike has gotten away with murder there

Next year...good luck. ive seen much better coaches than Pikiell struggle with talent

Have at it folks.
There are no words

Dogshit effort

Dogshit coaching

The awful maac level recruiting playing a role and Pike has gotten away with murder there

Next year...good luck. ive seen much better coaches than Pikiell struggle with talent

Have at it folks.

Believe it or not, I think you were a little too positive. Don’t know about Gavin and JMike being bright spots. Everything is relative, but they, too, we’re pretty meh.

Reactions: ILikePike
A game like this should never happen. It sets a new low for what’s possible which is concerning. It means that at any point Pike could deliver a coaching job like this. Last year SHU now this. 40 mins and no answer from Pike, no play out a timeout, Zilch.
No plays period

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
We need to look beyond just the %

These players are taking BAD Shots. Shot selection by these players is abysmal. Thing is coaches should be coaching them on this.
We have a low bball IQ team and why many of our shots become forced too. Noah dribbles around and waits until 5 secs to get the ball to Cliff...makes no sense.

Coaches are just letting them play like it is street ball. its terrible
We take bad shots because we run zero offense to get our players open

Unfortunately, the ability to make a play, when a defense pressures you OR on either end of the floor is reduced to 3 players.

Davis
Simpson
Griffiths

The remaining pieces of the roster are not skilled enough or individually athletic enough to create their own offense OR playmake on defense.

Cliff erases mistakes on defense and rebounds, but is now just learning how to get to the basket and score.

The 5 players incoming, can all make an individual play, a scramble play, a 1 on 1 play, if the defense isn't strong enough to stop you or quick enough to defend those players.

Noah should have been able to score, but seems to have no confidence.

All will look a lot better next year, as long as the 2 portal additions, are also capable of making their own play

In terms of who is or can return next year, the players who cannot generate their own play on offense are Ogbole,, Chol
Woolfolk and Mag. Gotta figure Ogbole is a 11th to 13th player. Wolf is in a gray area, he showed flashes last year, but not much in terms of consistency.

It's very difficult to build a cohesive roster, with so many stationary players. There are 4 of the names above that are going to be mixed with 9 players, who can playmake or generate their own offense (5 frosh, J Williams, Davis, Simpson and Gavin

The other 4 are ultimately replaceable. I don't know what steps can be made to do anything substantially different with Mag and Woolfolk, the skill level or playmaking on either end of the court, just isn't there.

The more skilled the players are, the more cohesive the offensive reps are. That can be fixed via the portal for 1 or 2 spots.
Hawk always respect your takes but 100% disagree with you as Pike runs zero offense no back screens no off the ball movement his coaching is based on a high screen and pick and roll which Cliff doesn’t do well or the guard breaking down the defense and kicking the ball out which our guards who are too small can’t do
And when we actually kick it out our guys can’t shoot anyway and this falls back on Pike for his lack of recruiting

Reactions: ScarletNut
1-17 from 3
11-22 FT

That's not coaching. I don't think Pike coached a good game today, but the players need to take ownership of their poor shooting
Absolutely true! Preseason
Cliff big ten and wooden nominee
Gavin all world recruit
Fernandes one of the best 3 pt shooters in the country
Mag all we heard was if healthy last year were a different team
Wolf second year after showing promise
DS closed year strong and dominated big ten tournament and NIT
J Mike nice surprise

They run the offense with zero purpose and have lost this whole 12 sec shot clock quickly.

-Pandemic year Pikes best team canceled
-Next year Tournament but Pike loses the Houston game
-Play in game Pikes strategy against ND fails . Don’t dance
-Misses the tournament because he wanted to ride Paul as we melted down
-This year last in the Big ten

Pike going in the wrong direction and concern should be for the incoming class .

penn state is horrible...i thought they were a decent offensive team, they are not, they had alot of open look chucks that were total bricks as well.

Ru should have been up 15-3 early and then cruised to a win in the 2nd half if the defense was so good
Penn St isn't good but they also aren't horrible. They are higher in the standings than us and have wins over OSU and Wisconsin. They aren't great on offense but are active and aggressive on defense and will force turnovers if you don't protect the ball. We average 12 TO's a game and had 20 last night.

The team (before last night's debacle) averages 2 more PPG than last year's team, once you subtract the nonsense of Central Connecticut State and Rider etc.

If you or others disagree with the actual numbers, then that's fine. But this notion that RU was some sort of scoring outfit that was way more effective last year vs this year, is simply not true.

So according to you all of the stats pointing to how bad our offense is this year don’t matter or mean anything.

Except the this very one stat that you want to use - PPG.

LOL Hawk still going strong with his wild takes.

This is almost unbelievable that you haven’t just said we aren’t anywhere close to as good as you told us we would be for the past 6 months.

Just say it dude.

Honestly, i dont follow the bball team that closely this season but i told you guys every single year of pike that he really didnt run any type of offense. I was constantly laughed at for saying that. He had some good one on one guys who covered it up.

Hes a great guy, great defensive coach but he and his staff genuinely dont have any clue on offense. He needs to hire a coach to run the offense. He leans on b-knight too much and I hate to break it to you but b-knight aint exactly known as the best and brightest in NJ basketball circles

Coaching could be better but this is way more of a talent issue

We stink.

We can’t do very simple things (make free throws, layups, wide open shots, box out). Coaching can’t really fix most of that.

There are no words

Dogshit effort

Dogshit coaching

Have at it folks.
BAC--My biggest disappointment last night? ....that the Purdue -Northwestern game didn't go to 10 overtimes . That way I and the BTN audience would have missed this monstrosity. Last night I thought I was watching a school yard pick up game. This was the single worst exhibition of basketball I've seen in the entire Pikiell era. The guard play in particular was an abomination. Last night we had no point guard when J Mike sat; we had a shooting guard who couldn't shoot or pass to a team mate (Simpson) ; another guard who can't hit a foul shot if his life depended on it ( A.W.) , and another guard (Noah) who has yet to figure out why he's on the court. And that's just the guard play. As far as forwards, other than Gavin, they were worthless. Gavin is taking baby steps and beginning to look more comfortable on the floor. Mag has to be hurting. He's not moving or jumping like he had been. Hyatt is Hyatt--if he's not chucking up 3's , he's useless. Palmquist does nothing so he wasn't any worse than usual. Cliff was neutralized with double teaming.... and Pikiell's coaching was terrible. Why he doesn't sit Simpson when he's selfish with the ball is beyond me . And Gavin needs to get more playing time--let Palmquist cheer lead . It's too bad J Mike and Simpson can't be on the floor together when their opponent has bigger more physical guards .....
Ps--can't wait for spring football practice to begin.!!!

The problem is not the type of offense, it's the absence of guys who can put the ball in the basket. Must have at least one guy who's an automatic drop-dead shooter, with a couple more high-level shooters. If you have those guys, the type of offense being run isn't irrelevant, but it's far less important.

So according to you all of the stats pointing to how bad our offense is this year don’t matter or mean anything.

Except the this very one stat that you want to use - PPG.

LOL Hawk still going strong with his wild takes.

This is almost unbelievable that you haven’t just said we aren’t anywhere close to as good as you told us we would be for the past 6 months.

Just say it dude.
He's got some ego to not say he's wrong. I like how he also removes random games here and there to get the PPG numbers where he wants.

Coaching could be better but this is way more of a talent issue

We stink.

We can’t do very simple things (make free throws, layups, wide open shots, box out). Coaching can’t really fix most of that.
Coaches can't shoot for players but coaches can show Derek Simpson film of himself shooting a three pointer and help him understand that if he's off balance with his feet the shot is going to be off balance. Like... what is this? It's a wide open three pointer, what are you doing with your feet my dude? Splaying them out and then landing like THAT? And you think that shot has a prayer?

If the staff is doing this and Simpson isn't working on it, then yeah, that's on him.

vIWRxko.png

OeO2Nu4.png

i feel like if pike doesnt make it out of the first weekend next year that the fan base will turn on him. Hes in a tough spot in 2024-2025 with what may be unrealistic expectations
You're dead on. We'll have talent but it will take time for the team to gel. Even Calipari's Kentucky teams often needed half a season to begin playing well and understanding their role.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT