ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 3 BRYANT: Perhaps some positives

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
That was a pretty unispiring performance today that really highlighted all the issues facing Rutgers thus far this season. Replacing leadership, defense, intensity, 3 point shooting and the intangibles that had RU succeeding until the Mag injury derailed the season. Princeton was the worst kind of opponent for Rutgers to face yet RU hung in there and its somewhat surprising that RU kept it a game to the end. Boston U was overmatched clearly but RU did not shake free until the defense cranked up and Gavin started clicking. Today vs Bryant, RU basically traded baskets while fumbling its way through bad possessions, turnovers, and weak defense. Constant in all 3 games have been lack of leadership and some simple abysmal guard play.

In trying to find a positive today, perhaps..perhaps there was a glimmer today. For the first time this season, I saw the 3 main contributors returning from last year....Cliff, Hyatt, and Derek make plays down the stretch and show some leadership. What I have not been seeing is leadership by example. Pike is throwing a whole bunch of new players out there and new rotations yet the guys who have been expected to give lift this season and build off of last season have been a bit subpar with the fire they need to bring to the table. I know Hyatt has been scoring a lot and by far has been our most consistent scorer but is still prone to some really glaring miscues. Cliff was non impact vs Princeton, disappeared vs Boston and today inexclipably picked up 2 fouls on one possessions that totally derailed any normal gameplan a fragile RU offense would have in the first half. Derek continues to miss a ton of looks and is struggling with his new fit on this team. However in this game, they did set the example that hopefully can be used proceeding further. Cliff came back in later in the first half and did not pick up his 3 while RU was able to regain the lead. Cliff would come out with some more urgency in the 2nd half and ended up tying his career high rebounding total with 15. His follow up off a Derek miss at 57-55 was massive. Hyatt would make a gigantic 3 at 44-43 with RU trailing that would give RU the lead back that they would never relinquish. He followed it up with a key block at the rim at 48-44 and then nailed his free throws most notably the ones at 61-57 with just 50 seconds left. 19 points, 7-9 free throws and 8 boards, yes overalll 5-14 fg not good. Players making plays to win the game.

Then we get to Derek....uninspiring thus far this year and not in the starting lineup as many expected him to be. His shooting did not get much today but that is okay. Derek was money at the line today. He was the go to player late and Pikiell obviously felt very comfortable with the ball in Derek's hand drawing fouls. This is where the experience in the Big 10 wars showed today. Derek tapping into his potential. A game like today hopefully gives him the needed confidence to start producing like he knows he can. Kudos to Derek for a perfect 8-8 at the line, 12 points in 27 minutes with 4 assists. Derek is still only 4-19 fg for the year but maybe just maybe he can realize that this is his team. No one is coming to rescue them. He has a freshmen guard below him and a transfer 5th year guy who hasnt proven anything. This is Dereks time to shine.

There is something to be said for learning how to win with a lot of new parts. Obviously Rutgers really misses Paul and Cam. There is no debating that. They miss Mag too but Mag isnt some savior. Inserting Mag into the lineup isnt going to a magic cure. This is a far different team than last season and everyone is still trying to find their role and identity. I can feel for Pike trying to figure this out but he cannot be without criticism. Next year is next year, leave those players to next year. Pike's recruiting the past couple of years are a factor in what we see now. # games in and I expected to see more of out Noah. J Mike is solid but he is frosh with a complimentary role right now. We are desperately missing another guard. We are relying on Palm for major minutes at the 4 and he played pretty poorly during his 9 minutes today. IMO, Pike is trying to be too cute with the starters...play your best lineup....Cliff, Wolf, Hyatt, Gavin and Derek. Yes its a bigger lineup but these are the 5 guys most capable of producing. Davis going 1-8 in 18 minutes is just too many shots for my liking. Collective the 3 small guards were just 4-21 in this game which isnt far off from what they are for the season. 11-54.....that is not going to cut it folks. It is what it is. Today Gavin did not have his shot going a woeful 2-11 and 1-8 from 3. Thats not always going to happen but its not unexpected for a frosh. We can take some solace that despite alll of this woeful shooting...only 19 shots made for 31%, RU still was able to grind it out late mainly do to nailing most of their free throws in the 2nd half to finish at 24-34.

Bottom line Cliff needs to stay on the court and be smarter. Bring it 100% all game. Hyatt looks like our main offensive weapon. If he can just shake that bugaboos with some illadvised shots. Pike needs to keep trusting in Derek that he gives us our best shot at winning rather than expecting Noah to be that guy. Pike needs to settle down his rotation and get some normalcy. Team comes out too flat in these first halves without purpose. For Georgetown they will need to raise their level. Alot of work to do all around and program has to recapture some of that hunger to get better as we go forward because everyone needs to get better in a hurry.

Last edited:
I don't think Mag is a magic cure but the team instantly got way worse without him last year. I'm willing to withhold judgment on this year's squad until we see them with him in the rotation.

The guardplay has been atrocious so far, no getting around that. Got to make layups at some point.

oh and I will have to add...the 14-3 run by Bryant for about 4 minutes in the second half was some of the worst and listless basketball I have ever seen under Pikiell...but they recovered and bounced back

Anyone else think scheduling this game today was a bad idea? Just seems like a recipe for a flat team and crowd. It’s only 3 games but Im skeptical of the talent on this team. Just struggling to grasp how this team will be anywhere near the bubble when we were a bubble team with palm stuck to the bench and Hyatt getting 10 mpg.

Hyatt had 19 and 8, solid.

I did like that JMike hit two clutch foul shots at the end after struggling badly at the line so far. Hope that helps his confidence.

I am still not ready to give up on Noah, he can still be an addition.

The very very late departures of Cam and Paul put Pike in a bad situation.

72 possessions and for us to not crack 70 against a small and bad defensive team is terrible.

Our guard play offensively is putrid. I am very disappointed Bryant was able to come in and play a lot if zone.

Guards….i het that you can beat your men off the dribble. Our 3 PG are now 6-26 on the season at the rim against small teams. All 3 of them are oblivious to the pkayers around them. We have a guy who has led the nation in dunks and instead they put their head down hoping for a whistle.

Chemistry is already messed up.

Anyone else think scheduling this game today was a bad idea? Just seems like a recipe for a flat team and crowd. It’s only 3 games but Im skeptical of the talent on this team. Just struggling to grasp how this team will be anywhere near the bubble when we were a bubble team with palm stuck to the bench and Hyatt getting 10 mpg.
Princeton no good
Bryant no good

Lets schedule Gil St Bernard or Rutgers Prep

My thoughts after watching this team in person for the first time this year:
1) Our guards are very small and are not good outside shooters
2) None of our guards are able to get the ball to Cliff in good position unlike Mulcahy and Cam were able to
3) Despite Hyatt’s points, he’s a turnover waiting to happen and still can’t finish at the basket
4) Yes, Cliff had 15 rebounds but we don’t box out well as a team
5) Foul shooting is still a problem (not for Simpson today)
6) No real go to guy when we need a basket
7) I like Gavin and I’ll give him a pass for being off target today

Overall, this is far from a NCAA team this season unless all of the above get straightened out.

Not a BB guru for sure, but this team has looked ragtag in all 3 games. Way too many turnovers and missed foul shots. Hopeful that they start to develop some kind of chemistry before the league starts.

72 possessions and for us to not crack 70 against a small and bad defensive team is terrible.

Our guard play offensively is putrid. I am very disappointed Bryant was able to come in and play a lot if zone.

Guards….i het that you can beat your men off the dribble. Our 3 PG are now 6-26 on the season at the rim against small teams. All 3 of them are oblivious to the pkayers around them. We have a guy who has led the nation in dunks and instead they put their head down hoping for a whistle.

Bryant may lack a true center, but they are not small. 6'6" through 6'8" at 2 through 5. We should not have struggled so much with them, but they have some talent and will contend for their conference title.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and goru7
Bryant may lack a true center, but they are not small. 6'6" through 6'8" at 2 through 5. We should not have struggled so much with them, but they have some talent and will contend for their conference title.
was thinking lack of a shot blocker protecting the rim.

I’m hoping that Fernandez is able to shake off the rust. I agree with most of the analyses here. Simpson was still a complimentary piece last year and although he had his moments, I don’t know if he’s ready to be the go to guy during a brutal schedule

at some point we have to pick someone right?…to be the PG?

Even if there is no clear cut best option, it feels like someone needs the chance to take the helm and go, and hope that we can work through some of their shortcomings/force them to rise to the occasion.

Feels like if you have two QBs you have none type of deal.

at some point we have to pick someone right?…to be the PG?

Even if there is no clear cut best option, it feels like someone needs the chance to take the helm and go, and hope that we can work through some of their shortcomings/force them to rise to the occasion.

Feels like if you have two QBs you have none type of deal.
Yeah. I'm guessing the plan is to figure out the lineup and shorten the bench after he sees how Georgetown/Howard goes... then use St Peters as dress rehearsal before diving into the real schedule...

Reactions: RUPete
Yeah. I'm guessing the plan is to figure out the lineup and shorten the bench after he sees how Georgetown/Howard goes... then use St Peters as dress rehearsal before diving into the real schedule...
Fair…I’m nervous we get burned before that happens though.

The level of chemistry and comfort (with one another) that the core of our teams had these last few years cannot be overstated. Without that, and this team or any other are going to have problems. It does make you wonder what, exactly, Pike was doing/seeing in the pre-season.

Reactions: Scangg
That was a pretty unispiring performance today that really highlighted all the issues facing Rutgers thus far this season. Replacing leadership, defense, intensity, 3 point shooting and the intangibles that had RU succeeding until the Mag injury derailed the season. Princeton was the worst kind of opponent for Rutgers to face yet RU hung in there and its somewhat surprising that RU kept it a game to the end. Boston U was overmatched clearly but RU did not shake free until the defense cranked up and Gavin started clicking. Today vs Bryant, RU basically traded baskets while fumbling its way through bad possessions, turnovers, and weak defense. Constant in all 3 games have been lack of leadership and some simple abysmal guard play.

In trying to find a positive today, perhaps..perhaps there was a glimmer today. For the first time this season, I saw the 3 main contributors returning from last year....Cliff, Hyatt, and Derek make plays down the stretch and show some leadership. What I have not been seeing is leadership by example. Pike is throwing a whole bunch of new players out there and new rotations yet the guys who have been expected to give lift this season and build off of last season have been a bit subpar with the fire they need to bring to the table. I know Hyatt has been scoring a lot and by far has been our most consistent scorer but is still prone to some really glaring miscues. Cliff was non impact vs Princeton, disappeared vs Boston and today inexclipably picked up 2 fouls on one possessions that totally derailed any normal gameplan a fragile RU offense would have in the first half. Derek continues to miss a ton of looks and is struggling with his new fit on this team. However in this game, they did set the example that hopefully can be used proceeding further. Cliff came back in later in the first half and did not pick up his 3 while RU was able to regain the lead. Cliff would come out with some more urgency in the 2nd half and ended up tying his career high rebounding total with 15. His follow up off a Derek miss at 57-55 was massive. Hyatt would make a gigantic 3 at 44-43 with RU trailing that would give RU the lead back that they would never relinquish. He followed it up with a key block at the rim at 48-44 and then nailed his free throws most notably the ones at 61-57 with just 50 seconds left. 19 points, 7-9 free throws and 8 boards, yes overalll 5-14 fg not good. Players making plays to win the game.

Then we get to Derek....uninspiring thus far this year and not in the starting lineup as many expected him to be. His shooting did not get much today but that is okay. Derek was money at the line today. He was the go to player late and Pikiell obviously felt very comfortable with the ball in Derek's hand drawing fouls. This is where the experience in the Big 10 wars showed today. Derek tapping into his potential. A game like today hopefully gives him the needed confidence to start producing like he knows he can. Kudos to Derek for a perfect 8-8 at the line, 12 points in 27 minutes with 4 assists. Derek is still only 4-19 fg for the year but maybe just maybe he can realize that this is his team. No one is coming to rescue them. He has a freshmen guard below him and a transfer 5th year guy who hasnt proven anything. This is Dereks time to shine.

There is something to be said for learning how to win with a lot of new parts. Obviously Rutgers really misses Paul and Cam. There is no debating that. They miss Mag too but Mag isnt some savior. Inserting Mag into the lineup isnt going to a magic cure. This is a far different team than last season and everyone is still trying to find their role and identity. I can feel for Pike trying to figure this out but he cannot be without criticism. Next year is next year, leave those players to next year. Pike's recruiting the past couple of years are a factor in what we see now. # games in and I expected to see more of out Noah. J Mike is solid but he is frosh with a complimentary role right now. We are desperately missing another guard. We are relying on Palm for major minutes at the 4 and he played pretty poorly during his 9 minutes today. IMO, Pike is trying to be too cute with the starters...play your best lineup....Cliff, Wolf, Hyatt, Gavin and Derek. Yes its a bigger lineup but these are the 5 guys most capable of producing. Davis going 1-8 in 18 minutes is just too many shots for my liking. Collective the 3 small guards were just 4-21 in this game which isnt far off from what they are for the season. 11-54.....that is not going to cut it folks. It is what it is. Today Gavin did not have his shot going a woeful 2-11 and 1-8 from 3. Thats not always going to happen but its not unexpected for a frosh. We can take some solace that despite alll of this woeful shooting...only 19 shots made for 31%, RU still was able to grind it out late mainly do to nailing most of their free throws in the 2nd half to finish at 24-34.

Bottom line Cliff needs to stay on the court and be smarter. Bring it 100% all game. Hyatt looks like our main offensive weapon. If he can just shake that bugaboos with some illadvised shots. Pike needs to keep trusting in Derek that he gives us our best shot at winning rather than expecting Noah to be that guy. Pike needs to settle down his rotation and get some normalcy. Team comes out too flat in these first halves without purpose. For Georgetown they will need to raise their level. Alot of work to do all around and program has to recapture some of that hunger to get better as we go forward because everyone needs to get better in a hurry.
100 percent agree on Wolf starting. The defense is a real concern, but that lineup should be able to score a bit.

My thoughts after watching this team in person for the first time this year:
1) Our guards are very small and are not good outside shooters
2) None of our guards are able to get the ball to Cliff in good position unlike Mulcahy and Cam were able to
3) Despite Hyatt’s points, he’s a turnover waiting to happen and still can’t finish at the basket
4) Yes, Cliff had 15 rebounds but we don’t box out well as a team
5) Foul shooting is still a problem (not for Simpson today)
6) No real go to guy when we need a basket
7) I like Gavin and I’ll give him a pass for being off target today

Overall, this is far from a NCAA team this season unless all of the above get straightened out.
I think Noah will be fine - it's not like the competition we have been playing so far is better that what he's seen in the past at UMass. What I think is going on is that like a boxer in the early rounds of a fight he is downloading information and figuring things out. I think he will be fine and will not only be able to get the ball to Cliff, but also be a PG mentor to JMike. On the whole I really like our PG situation....at least on paper, and if everything happens that I think it will.

I gave up on Hyatt last year - I just think he's Fool's Gold. He can look so good against the weaker teams, and even have spurts against better teams. It tells you how good he can be - he's got everything including the skills, but just doesn't seem to understand the cerebral part of the game. What happens when things aren't going your way? How do you adjust your game when your opponent is equal in talent to you or better? In these moments he just seems to continue to bang his head against the wall, and not understand how to veer to the left or veer to the right. It's just so incredibly frustrating to watch someone so talented not get the game on a mental level.

I think the Go To guy is Gavin or Hyatt at this point. Gavin will grown into it, and Hyatt will just take it if he has the ball and do something where I'll just put my hands over my eyes. I was really hoping Simpson was going to grow from last year, but so far I haven't seen it. Really hoping Simpson can mature - we could really use it this year.

Reactions: RUPete
we came closer to losing to Bryant in 2019 which was our “best” team under pike according to some here

• Haha
Reactions: Local Shill

We had that very poor efficiency vs Boston too. One or less than one point per possession. That and the turnovers bother me the most. Those and all the other shortcoming pointed out by bac are fundamental problems. It doesn’t give me much home. This isn’t a chemistry problem. It’s a talent problem. What good was our summer trip anyway?

We had that very poor efficiency vs Boston too. One or less than one point per possession. That and the turnovers bother me the most. Those and all the other shortcoming pointed out by bac are fundamental problems. It doesn’t give me much home. This isn’t a chemistry problem. It’s a talent problem. What good was our summer trip anyway?
We need to be a better offensive team than last year. If we cant get to that level it will be a long season.

I think we will figure things out, but i am getting impatient

We need to be a better offensive team than last year. If we cant get to that level it will be a long season.

I think we will figure things out, but i am getting impatient

In fairness 2 years ago the team was a train wreck with Mulcahy and Caleb beyond awful to start the year offensively...we were struglling WITH Ron and Geo vs Lehigh and lost to Lafayette

Simpson showed me something last 12 minutes and free throw shooting was a godsend. We may have found something.
Davis and Woolfolk have great moves and strong going to the hoops but absolutely killing us by missing layups or free throws. They have to do better as not only misses but so demoralizing.
Not concerned about Gavin as by end of year think he will be hitting these shots.
Foul shooting still a major problem.
Hyatt didn’t shoot well but still had a nice game.
Noah has to be much better.
Cliff rebound and dunk key basket of game?
Bryant seemed to be pretty good.
Thought we might lose this game. Didn’t cover.
Gutted it out though. Still a work in progress.
Need much better shooting, better foul shooting, better D, (Another game where guard ran down Court and scored a basket un-defended. Can’t happen).
Cliff has to get more touches but in flow of game not when he’s calling for it and then gets triple teamed. Might be better getting rebounds and put backs.
I think Hyatt blocked shot was huge. Gavin had a nice block and Cliff altered many shots on D. They deserve credit.
Hyatt and Simpson hitting foul shots won us the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
9 players averaging between 16.3 and 25.0 minutes per game. And zero Mag minutes so far.

Reactions: Scangg
The only positives I saw :

- We can beat very mediocre squads with Gavin being way off

- Cliff dominated in 2nd half

- I saw Mag after the game and he told me he’s coming back soon. Oglebe was with him and I think he’ll be ready to play in January.

Besides the above , very mediocre effort / productivity. Team has a long way to go.

I don't think Mag is a magic cure but the team instantly got way worse without him last year. I'm willing to withhold judgment on this year's squad until we see them with him in the rotation.

The guardplay has been atrocious so far, no getting around that. Got to make layups at some point.
Excellent work!

The guard play has to improve. Perhaps Simpson is now back on track. He has to play 30 mins, find a way to drive and dish and post feed Cliff. We’re expecting too much from Davis as a freshman. Surprised he plays so much. Outside of his speed and effort, his execution and efficiency in shot making and lack of finding an open man hurts, Noah has been very disappointing, he has not shown any true point guard qualities. Surprising for such an experienced player. It is early

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
and contrary to the pseudo experts around here that's why you play a lighter schedule early in the season especially with a team full of newcomers, yet some wanted us to play a Duke or Kansas to satisfy having to pay to get in--and seem to judge players by the press they receive and then go on tirades how bad they are if they play subpar early.

and contrary to the pseudo experts around here that's why you play a lighter schedule early in the season especially with a team full of newcomers, yet some wanted us to play a Duke or Kansas to satisfy having to pay to get in--and seem to judge players by the press they receive and then go on tirades how bad they are if they play subpar early.
Cliff Hyatt Simpson Oskar is not a roster full of newcomers. We're #154 in continuity per KenPom. Very middle of the pack.

I meant the day and time, not the opponent.
The crowd filled in pretty well after the start of the game so no problem with attendance
As what happens in many early games, it takes a run by RU to get the crowd going

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT