ADVERTISEMENT

Game experience

RedTeam1994

All Conference
Jan 15, 2021
I’ve seen complaints on here about the game experience (music too loud, etc) honestly - I don’t know WTF they’re talking about

Went to tonight’s game and came away REALLY impressed with the CONSTANT effort to entertain / keep the crowd engaged

Not only was it constant but also well thought out, and well timed (eg would get tue crowd UP before a big defensive 3rd or 4th down)

Went with my nephew (goes to a bunch of NFL games) and his dad (my brother who is a real sourpuss who always badmouths RU…a RU-hating RU grad)…. Both kept talking about what a game atmosphere it was!!!!

Tonight was OUTSTANDING! Fireworks, drone show, light show , light show with the band wearing the lights, music, Red Panda on her unicycle flipping bowls onto her head (at her first football game ever) getting the fans pumped up.

Truly outstanding.

Last edited:
Just getting home at 3 am partly due to a horrendous experience with the buses back to the RAC. Ended up walking all the way from the bubble to the RAC, something I’d never done in 40 years of visiting and attending Rutgers due to what I feared might devolve into a riot at the boarding area.

Music amd horn was much more tame tonight than it's been for many half full games. Probably cause there was real crowd noise. Video montages keep getting better.

Reactions: Scarlet Jerry
When did the band get rid of the @first down, touchdown, go RU”? I heard if only once last night

On TV, I didn't hear the R-U chant from the crowd until very late in the game. And, at times, like when the team sang the alma mater with the students, all you could hear was the pop music that the dj was playing.

Just getting home at 3 am partly due to a horrendous experience with the buses back to the RAC. Ended up walking all the way from the bubble to the RAC, something I’d never done in 40 years of visiting and attending Rutgers due to what I feared might devolve into a riot at the boarding area.
In my 30s, I told myself I’m at the point in my life where a yellow or blue parking pass was a necessity, not a luxury.

Had a great time; best Football game I have been to since Louisville. Nighttime experience was great .

Thought the Music and all the entertainment was great.

The tribute to Eric LeGrand was very well done

Be very interesting to see viewership numbers.

In my 30s, I told myself I’m at the point in my life where a yellow or blue parking pass was a necessity, not a luxury.
I don't have season tickets. I go to 2-3 home games per season. Also, in all my years of going to RU Football, the buses are usually the best run part of the whole operation. They always have tons of them and they are always supervised and set up properly. Well, all that changed last night. The first warning sign was that about 50-75% of the buses last night were yellow school buses which I've never seen them use before. I'm assuming whoever was in charge of the whole bus operation must be gone now and some idiot took over.

Loved yesterday, best in game experience since Michigan win. My one quibble is with the horn. It is just used too often. IIRC, it used to be used only post Rutgers scoring. Now it feels like every other play. There is no need for it in a tight game like last night- let the crowd shout themselves hoarse!

When did the band get rid of the @first down, touchdown, go RU”? I heard if only once last night
When Chris Ash implemented a no-huddle offense, there wasn't enough time between plays for the first down chant anymore. The band still plays the end of it that ends with "Go Knights!" but nobody really participates in it, probably because after years of the chant not being used, we ended up with a student section that isn't familiar with the first down chant at all.

On TV, I didn't hear the R-U chant from the crowd until very late in the game. And, at times, like when the team sang the alma mater with the students, all you could hear was the pop music that the dj was playing.
The R-U chant did happen quite a few times last night, but it was often short-lived because when it wasn't drowned out by PA music, the students kept speeding it up and then everyone was out of sync.

I don't have season tickets. I go to 2-3 home games per season. Also, in all my years of going to RU Football, the buses are usually the best run part of the whole operation. They always have tons of them and they are always supervised and set up properly. Well, all that changed last night. The first warning sign was that about 50-75% of the buses last night were yellow school buses which I've never seen them use before. I'm assuming whoever was in charge of the whole bus operation must be gone now and some idiot took over.
In the future I recommend avoiding the buses by parking at Johnson Park or the nearby Greek Church, or finding someone selling a parking pass for one of the Busch lots.

Reactions: MCRU93
In the future I recommend avoiding the buses by parking at Johnson Park or the nearby Greek Church, or finding someone selling a parking pass for one of the Busch lots.
It's just a shame that something that had been more or less perfected over a period of decades has been completely turned into a shit show

Same type of FAN here..........Yep never saw the yellow buses before and never saw a line at the RAC to load like I did yesterday. We knew it was going to be a $hit show getting back so we slipped out with one minute on the clock.

Might have to break down and get a parking pass for the next game.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
This was a B1G time production last night all around. A big-time college game experience with our own NJ/NYC flair thrown in.

I just wish everyone watching on TV got to see all the extras those of us who were there saw last night.

After witnessing that awesome game day experience you complain about school buses.

I'm guessing they don't use Academy anymore for the shuttle from the RAC. They were always pretty well organized and never used school buses.

Reactions: FastMJ
I wonder if they brought in yellow buses because it was a Friday game? The normal buses were being used for their normal school day route. Maybe for Saturday games the normal buses are available for the shuttle to JMA?

Excellent production all the way around.
Although rest of country has no idea about NJ, the North, South and Central Jersey fun and good crowd interaction.
Light shows were excellent. Spot light on horse was cool. Band was great but should still play to both sides of stadium.
I think Red Panda better at hoops games. Just tougher to see at a night football game.
Liked the Birthplace of College football flashing at its rightful place. Gotta work on font though as letters ran together.
Bruce Tribute Band best band all year and proper demographic for Red and Yellow Light.
Entrance and ticketing was best all year.
We were there early. Parking lot attendants were friendly and helpful.
Still not a fan of Kung Fu Fighting. Still think should have a fun sing along spelling S A T U R D A Y Knight! Easy enough with cheerleaders have the Knight be the exclamation point! I think We’re Having A party should play after win before Alma Mater. Rest of night fair great balance band and DJ.
One major criticism. I think not removing the metal barriers outside the gates post game is a disaster waiting to happen.
All in all a big time atmosphere.
Sounds like buses were tough post game. Dont know how you fix that.

I wonder if they brought in yellow buses because it was a Friday game? The normal buses were being used for their normal school day route. Maybe for Saturday games the normal buses are available for the shuttle to JMA?
Yes that’s hopefully true and maybe the future games will be back to normal. Listen I had a wonderful time at the game, but after walking 2 miles to my car at 1 am I was a bit salty last night.

Reactions: lakejj
From past experiences with the buses to College Ave post game, if the game is (a) close or (b) vs a big name or (c) night game, the bus situation is abnormally bad.

Last night was all of the above. Same goes for the lots too.

Reactions: KevH
I’ve seen complaints on here about the game experience (music too loud, etc) honestly - I don’t know WTF they’re talking about

Went to tonight’s game and came away REALLY impressed with the CONSTANT effort to entertain / keep the crowd engaged

Not only was it constant but also well thought out, and well timed (eg would get tue crowd UP before a big defensive 3rd or 4th down)

Went with my nephew (goes to a bunch of NFL games) and his dad (my brother who is a real sourpuss who always badmouths RU…a RU-hating RU grad)…. Both kept talking about what a game atmosphere it was!!!!
It was a fantastic show. And great job fans! And also the music was too loud. There are a lot of people in my extended circle that are marginal fans (wife for example) that won’t come to games because of it.

Reactions: tico brown
Taking the bus to the RAC after Ohio State last year wasn't fun. Seemed like a long wait for buses. Was going to park at the RAC for this game, glad I didn't endure the cluster you did. Opted for (free) Bucceleuch Park instead and the 10-15 minute walk to the stadium. You might also want to try parking at the Barn for $20, I saw nothing but Academy buses doing that route. They drop off in Johnson Park in front of the south end of the stadium. There were a good line of students but they had several buses waiting.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Band was awesome! They really killed it. I thought the Red Panda thing was a little odd, in a harmless and humorous way. What a fun night. And the students really showed up and stayed.
Red Panda is big time. She’s great.

They were fine until Hobbs's boardwalk. Then everything went to hell. It's just a bad set up and they obviously don't care about those fans or they would have changed it by now. I'm sure a Rutgers engineering student could come up with a better idea then whoever was put in charge of running this. I feel bad for those people and I park in Yellow, it should not be that way.

Reactions: fg7321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT