ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAME THREAD: Rutgers vs. Lafayette

I don’t think it’s not that the players don’t care. Hard to say that has been the case for 5 games. We’re are just very limited on talent and Pike has no idea how to coach up an offense. Unfortunately you can only recruit under rated kids for so many years. We have basically no bench

Geo and Harper no shows in many ways..Ron in fairness has played well in most games.

Geo may be the most overrated player in RU history

Why is being bad such a surprise to most fans here? A few of us have been saying this all off-season. It was hilarious reading posts from hundreds of RU "fans" pollyannas that expected this team to be borderline tournament caliber. The few of us that actually understood how college basketball works were outnumbered and villified for being overly critical and pessimistic. It's also funny to see the lightbulbs finally go on with some of you posters that were completely blind to Pikes poor recruiting, inc via the transfer portal. If he actually believes his own dribble that this is his best team, we are in for a world of hurt with this coach. Meanwhile, Seton Hall is out recruiting, outcoaching and out performing us in every way recently.

The coaching stinks. Look at this closeout by Cliff, he's standing STRAIGHT UP on his tip toes and gets easily blown by. One a billion awful closeouts I've seen this year. This is just the one that broke the camel's back and made me break out the video recorder.

The coaching stinks. Look at this closeout by Cliff, he's standing STRAIGHT UP on his tip toes and gets easily blown by. One a billion awful closeouts I've seen this year. This is just the one that broke the camel's back and made me break out the video recorder.

Horrible, and you know they work on close outs all the time too. I’m shocked that Cliff is so bad on defense ; just putrid .

Harper came out do lcokeroom and got on bike with heat thing on back that Myles used to wear

I don’t think it’s not that the players don’t care. Hard to say that has been the case for 5 games. We’re are just very limited on talent and Pike has no idea how to coach up an offense. Unfortunately you can only recruit under rated kids for so many years. We have basically no bench
You can possibly if you are a good coach and run a good system ala Painter at Purdue but we have neither

We Might need our double-secret Geo step-back play at the end of this game. Hope they are going over at the half.

We'll see what happens. No great shooting so far and we do not have great rebounders.

It might be a long season.

In the past Caleb has given us some good minutes. Right now, except for brief blows, he should not even be in rotation.

You can possibly if you are a good coach and run a good system ala Painter at Purdue but we have neither
Yea. I guess that’s what I’m saying. If you can’t coach offense you can’t just keep hoping players are magically much better than their ranking

Illinois doing the same Cincinnati 49-35. Kofi Cockburn with 16 the rest of the team 19 points on 6-29 shooting

Like I've been saying since last year, cliff is athletic but that's much different than having natural basketball instincts. He has almost none. Poor positioning, poor anticipation on defense, slow to react to everything essentially. This is why he's always fouling and has very little chance of developing an offensive repertoire. Again, most of the posters here were watching something very different than what I was watching. Myles is in a different stratosphere as Cliff.

When I said this 2 months ago, I got attacked relentlessly. Now I get likes lol

Reactions: superfan01
Name one player on this team that can do something now they couldn't do as a freshman.

Eugene improved. Myles improved. Nobody else has gotten appreciably better under Pikiell.

Myles wasn't Myles at this point in his career. Cliff is still learning and needs time to understand the game. He's not the problem on this team.

Haven’t watched the team at all so this is a general statement (and one I’ve made about Daniel Jones)

A lot of “Player X isn’t the problem”.

The real problem is nobody saying “Player X is solving the problems.”

Regardless of who is causing problems, our “star” player’s (RHJ, Geo and Cliff) don’t appear to be solving problems.

Tinker with the margins and role players all you want. But if the stars aren’t solving the teams problems, then we aren’t going anywhere.

We really came out on fire the second half . This is like one of the worst kenpom teams in the country and we are struggling at home with them. Tells you all you need to know

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT