ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers Football versus Akron

Our entire receiver corps is definitely deeper this season. Case in point how Dremel is having a hard time seeing the field on O.
Dremel was on the questionable list last game, I think. So he may be banged up some which might explain why he isn’t seeing more time at WR. But maybe he’s just been passed in the depth chart anyway, no pun intended.

Reactions: RW90
Hoooo boy. HCGS looking mighty pissed off at his D as they went to commercial. Like to see that, coach. Never let up.

I feel like AK justified my optimism. Cannot deny he struggled early, but grew into the game.
He played lots better, made some really good throws in the 2nd half. Coaches just need to get in his ear about protecting the ball when getting pressured a lot, which happened in the first half and will happen a lot more as we get into Big Ten play.

He just needs to be consistent about throwing the ball away early in games and not taking chances when the situation doesn’t require it,

I don’t know how beat but Akron will be (both physically and mentally) after USCe, but Colgate is a given and they’ve got to be able to get at least two more wins this season.

AK 1st half made me miss GW.

AK 2nd half have me thinking B1G championship game
No need to miss his play, ever. GW stat line today: 3-7, 14 yards, one INT on a very off target throw. Six carries for 44 yards. All his passing was in the 4th Q of a game that was over. He's not a good passer and he never will be.

Reactions: Kbee3
That was the most amazing one handed catch by Fitzpatrick of Marshall. Held off the DB draped all over him with one hand and high pointed the ball with the other.

To be fair, you need to consider all purpose yards when talking about GW.

To “be fair”, Gavin still didn’t net 230 all purpose yards last year in a game even in you include his runs. Note also - AK didn’t even play most of Q4. Gavin took every snap of every game except vs. Wagner and the one TD drive by Evan vs Wisconsin.

No need to miss his play, ever. GW stat line today: 3-7, 14 yards, one INT on a very off target throw. Six carries for 44 yards. All his passing was in the 4th Q of a game that was over. He's not a good passer and he never will be.
AK probably threw like 3 or 4 picks in the 1st half. But he did redeem himself in the second half.

AK probably threw like 3 or 4 picks in the 1st half. But he did redeem himself in the second half.
Actually, he threw one. You can't say he had 3 or 4 picks when Akron only got one. The TD on the deflection was very high risk, sure. But the other incomplete passes weren't straight out dropped by the defense. Could better defenders have gotten more picks? Yeah, probably.

60+% completion, three TDs in back to back games... what more could we have asked for to start the season?

Actually, he threw one. You can't say he had 3 or 4 picks when Akron only got one. The TD on the deflection was very high risk, sure. But the other incomplete passes weren't straight out dropped by the defense. Could better defenders have gotten more picks? Yeah, probably.

60+% completion, three TDs in back to back games... what more could we have asked for to start the season?
People who’ve done a lot of sports coaching (of any team sport) see this sort of thing differently, I think. I can understand ordinary fans looking at a completion that wasn’t tipped or whatever and just thinking okay, good play. But coaching-minded people can’t turn off analysis mode.

Analysis mode means always seeing where the team needs improvement which means understanding where, while something succeeded in the given moment, it did so despite our team’s poor execution. There were at least 4 passes in the first half where we executed poorly and it was only the even worse execution by our opponent, and some good luck perhaps, that prevented an INT.

In the Howard game, we had a couple/few of those too.

The coaches will have registered those moments as areas of concern to be addressed. They probably won’t discuss it publicly because why help upcoming opponents identify potential areas of weakness in our game?

More 2nd half performance and less 1st half performance.

People who’ve done a lot of sports coaching (of any team sport) see this sort of thing differently, I think. I can understand ordinary fans looking at a completion that wasn’t tipped or whatever and just thinking okay, good play. But coaching-minded people can’t turn off analysis mode.

Analysis mode means always seeing where the team needs improvement which means understanding where, while something succeeded in the given moment, it did so despite our team’s poor execution. There were at least 4 passes in the first half where we executed poorly and it was only the even worse execution by our opponent, and some good luck perhaps, that prevented an INT.

In the Howard game, we had a couple/few of those too.

The coaches will have registered those moments as areas of concern to be addressed. They probably won’t discuss it publicly because why help upcoming opponents identify potential areas of weakness in our game?

I watched the Duff TD again on replay and I agree that one should’ve been caught by the defender. I’ll defer to the video clip with every throw to judge the other ones. At least the contested ones to Ian Strong I think it will probably turn out to be a stretch though to go as far as what your saying. There’s a difference between saying there were 4+ bad throws (or throws AK would want to get back), or even saying - with a great play a defender might’ve made an elite play to bring those down than saying what you said where the defender basically made an error by not completing them. I don’t believe there were close to 3 other plays like that unless your talking about other first drive throws I didn’t see (I listened to the beginning of the game on the radio). Ian Strong is always the biggest most physical guy out there and he was in tight coverage the whole way on the shaky throws to him that were broken up. They weren’t good throws but Strong also wasnt just going to just let the smaller defender on his tail intercept the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT