ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers Football vs. Boston College

Can I get a raised hand for Greg's "in game adjustments" today? Clearly, Greg did make some adjustments on both offense and defense. I'm just trying to get out front of the Debbie Downers when Rutgers does lose to a more talented opponent in the future. Great character win for the team and coaches.

Schiano peaked 15 years ago and honestly just isn't a smart coach.. all he has is longevity and some moderate recruiting acumen. Hopefully it doesn't take until 2027 for our fans and AD to understand this.

This is why Rutgers gets no acclaim nationally, never gets any respect, never gets their fans excited. It's because we have no vision in hiring coaches. We continue to think that a man who failed everywhere outside of 1-2 years nearly a generation ago against horrible competition is a good coach.

This may be the worst hot take of the day, and oh boy, there is competition.

Didn’t watch much of the pregame show so can’t comment on them, but I thought game announcred were ok.
It was less about the announcers, and more about the production crew. Game started off with the line of scrimmage and first down lines off consistently, and the down and distance graphic was busted through most of the first half into the third quarter. And no one thought to tell the announcers to start calling out down and distance to help the audience out. It's like the production was run by the interns.

I’m gonna keep this short n sweet for now then right up a full review tomorrow after I’m done watching the rest of todays games…

1. I can see why the staff was hesitant to start Wimsatt before the NV injury- his accuracy just isn’t there yet. That said, he and Salaam are a deadly backfield - we need more of that. Wimsatt needs the game to slow down for him some more and he’s gonna be a stud with that arm and his mobility.

2. Salaam needs more carries, esp to the outside..w Young still hurt, he should be splitting time with Monangai- KM in between the tackles, Salaam out in space and in the pass game

3. BC’s OL sucks but our DL is very solid - esp big #23 … he is gonna be one hell of a pass rusher

4. Our OL is improved, but todays performance won’t get it done against B1G teams..still a major concern

5. Powell played a hell of a game

my biggest issue/concern was on the last drive before we were going to punt - why put in Simon and Monangai instead of Wimsatt and Salaam..everyone knew KM was getting the ball..with GW at QB they’d have to loosen up the middle bc Gavin could have held the ball and taken off around the corner like he did earlier in the game for the 48 yard gain.

This was def a big win for the team and program…now let’s see how the QB situation is handled, how the carries are split up, and how the OL can improve.

It was less about the announcers, and more about the production crew. Game started off with the line of scrimmage and first down lines off consistently, and the down and distance graphic was busted through most of the first half into the third quarter. And no one thought to tell the announcers to start calling out down and distance to help the audience out. It's like the production was run by the interns.
Did you watch the end of the UNC app. St game? ESPN game feed from ACC crew. UNC goes up by 8 and the guy s as ys "well there's the game as UNC makes it a 2 score game"... Right after app. St had just gone for 2 previous play lol. Clueless.

If I were BC I would have called timeout during the next to last series that resulted in a RU TD to compose the defense. We clearly were going to score once we moved past the 50

and a little luck. What the heck were they thinking catching the punt with less than 2 minutes to go, up by 1. If he muffs it (with 3 BC's in his face) chances are RU loses.
You have zero clue
That's playing not to lose, which ends up losing games. Ironically

Announcers were better than the studio guys.

This might be the peak freakout moment.
Fwiw I wasnt freaking out. I was pretty calm when I typed it ;)

if the first quarter (with the lack of effort, not capitalizing on opportunities, CONSTANT stupid penalties, etc etc) didn’t remind you of the ash error then I don’t know what to tell you

Announcers were better than the studio guys.
I agree the announcers weren’t horrible. Really weren’t. Sure they told it from BC perspective but it was the acc network

but the studio guys …OMFG. What total amateur hour. I’m not even joking - looks like a student production.

Reactions: pmvon
You have zero clue
That's playing not to lose, which ends up losing games. Ironically
Let it go and 10 more seconds run off and the ball rolls another 10- 15 yards or bounces the other way. 15 yards of field position meant nothing at that point. BC had (I think) 1 time out. Muff it and we probably lose and everyone here would be saying WTF.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I purposely did not look on the board during the game because I knew there would be a ton of posts like this one. Now that the game is over, I love the in-game hyperbole.
Yeah, I think it was something like 7 penalties in the 1st quarter. Most undisciplined that I ever remember them looking. Glad they settled down and looked much better in the 2nd half.

Let it go and 10 more seconds run off and the ball rolls another 10- 15 yards or bounces the other way. 15 yards of field position meant nothing at that point. BC had (I think) 1 time out. Muff it and we probably lose and everyone here would be saying WTF.
Disagree. If it rolls long then we are punting to where they could have a return or decent field position. FC there and you will pin them deep and no return.

I might have been a little harsh with my no clue response. Sorry

A bouncing ball I might agree with you. But being the guy having to make that catch many times, no sale. No ref allows a ball to sit for 10 secs before blowing it dead. You might get 3. You want the definition of "you never know what could happen" , look under bouncing football. Today's conditions that catch is automatic. "Let it go" never even entered my head. The staff would have had nobody back there at all had that been the right play.

Reactions: RU76COOK
See if you can find any posts in this thread where I denounce any of our players or coaches. Good luck.
I never said that. I asked if your were happy with the play and coaching. Nothing to do with posting.
I am fully aware you didn't post.

This may be the worst hot take of the day, and oh boy, there is competition.

Sitting in BC stadium and took a quick read of this thread. Once again the usual suspects dont disappoint with the barrage of negative nonsense. Please find another team to put your negative karma on. Overreactive losers. You know who you are.
Nailed this one at the half from the upper deck. Not only was this game thread filled with negative asshats their lack of football knowledge was on full display.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I never said that. I asked if your were happy with the play and coaching. Nothing to do with posting.
I am fully aware you didn't post.
And I never said people shouldn’t be unhappy with how the team performed in the first half. It’s adults behaving like spoiled children throwing a temper tantrums that I find distasteful.

There’s no excuse for that kind of behavior.

And I never said people shouldn’t be unhappy with how the team performed in the first half. It’s adults behaving like spoiled children throwing a temper tantrums that I find distasteful.

There’s no excuse for that kind of behavior.
It's why I rarely post in these threads. Brings out the worst in fans with many stupid takes.

Reactions: Dpgru and mildone
IMO, I like these threads because it's just nice way to talk about the game with other fans. If there are comments that I think are a little to vehement or whatever, I just ignore it and move right on. It's not even real life where it's in one ear, out the other. It's a message board and very easy to do.

Everyone should do whatever keeps it fun for them. If it's avoiding the thread, that's good too. Whether it's a loss or a win, I don't see why anyone should go after one another. Just find ways to have fun and enjoy whatever you like. We're fans but in the end it's just a game..it's good to commiserate or celebrate with others but no reason to be worked up or angry one way or the other. Whether we're winning or losing, as typical of this board, there are always people who come up with comments that give me chuckle and keep things fun. Seek out things you like and avoid things you don't but there's no reason to go after one another imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT