ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin and Kante

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Just left practice with respect to our Sunday All-Star Game in Bridgeport. Gavin and Kante were the 2 best players on the floor. They also guarded each other. Gavin is smooth with hops and has Steph Curry range. Hit 6 in a row at one juncture. Would be surprised if he isn't a starter by January. Also,don't envision him at all as a 2 or so and done. Tyler Betsey won Gatorade Player of the Year. The best junior in the state and he has been offered by everyone. I think Rutgers is still in it. Gavin will be making the August trip with the team and wore Rutgers gear proudly tonight.

Just left practice with respect to our Sunday All-Star Game in Bridgeport. Gavin and Kante were the 2 best players on the floor. They also guarded each other. Gavin is smooth with hops and has Steph Curry range. Hit 6 in a row at one juncture. Would be surprised if he isn't a starter by January. Also,don't envision him at all as a 2 or so and done. Tyler Betsey won Gatorade Player of the Year. The best junior in the state and he has been offered by everyone. I think Rutgers is still in it. Gavin will be making the August trip with the team and wore Rutgers gear proudly tonight.
@RU72

Considering our lack of O ....how can you WAG that GG starts by Jan?

IMO you recruit 5 stars to learn / PRODUCE on the job... from day 1.,,because they can!

Mo

We really don't have many options for the 3 currently so I see Gavin as the likely starter with the current roster

If we see a couple more departures and bring in a top portal wing, Gavin could start the season as 6th man

We really don't have many options for the 3 currently so I see Gavin as the likely starter with the current roster

If we see a couple more departures and bring in a top portal wing, Gavin could start the season as 6th man
Depends on if mag is ready in November or if Hyatt comes back.

Let’s assume Paul is back.

Derek Cam Paul Mag/Hyatt Cliff

Eventually GG surpasses Hyatt in the rotation. But we could also land a startable 4 in the portal.

GG should still see 20-25 min a night but it’s hard for a true freshman to start over 4th and 5th year guys. Star rankings go out the window once he gets on campus

If Gavin isn't starting day 1 that's not good

Disagree as it depends on what the roster looks like. Pikes loves to slow play his top recruits. I've heard him multiple times saying he hopes the fans give him time to adjust and grow at his own pace. Austin Johnson said the same thing week on his on Geo's podcast. I think the kid is gonna be a star, but he might not STARt day one.

He is a 5 star. Don’t know when but Gavin will start and play 30 plus minutes a game next season. My guess is when Big games commence he is a starter

• Love
Reactions: MiloTalon13
He is a 5 star. Don’t know when but Gavin will start and play 30 plus minutes a game next season. My guess is when Big games commence he is a starter
The thing about it is that Caleb is gone. The usual obstacles for frosh starting are defense and ball handling decision making. The incumbent competition at the 3 is:

A) Hyatt - it’s hard to imagine him being a materially better defender than anyone. We’re in trouble if that’s the case. He’s also a walking turnover on the perimeter. So again, if Gavin is notably worse at these things that’s bad news.

B) Mag - will be recovering from injury.

5 stars start every where else even at Duke etc. no reason if he is that good that he doesn't start from day 1 same thing for Dylan(HOPE) and Ace they will be starting from day 1!!!

It’s odd how a five star player at a position of need is treated like a routine 3 star by some of our fans. He also should be no worse than the 3rd best (and likely 2nd best) shooter on the team. Of course Gavin is a starter on this team. In fact, it’s not even debatable.

The thing about it is that Caleb is gone. The usual obstacles for frosh starting are defense and ball handling decision making. The incumbent competition at the 3 is:

A) Hyatt - it’s hard to imagine him being a materially better defender than anyone. We’re in trouble if that’s the case. He’s also a walking turnover on the perimeter. So again, if Gavin is notably worse at these things that’s bad news.

B) Mag - will be recovering from injury.
Only reiber and Palmquist had less turnovers per 100 possessions than Hyatt.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
There have been no strong signs one way or the other on whether Hyatt, Mulcahy or Cliff will be back (folks seem most confident in Cliff). We also have no idea what Mag’s timetable for return is and no idea what caliber of transfers we’ll be bringing in.

So speculating or worrying about Gavin not starting until January is silly in my opinion.

The most interesting/sobering note was that 72 doesn’t see him at all as a 2 or so and done. I don’t take that as gospel but it’s a tad disappointing. I envision the very high-end of Gavin’s potential being Tyler Herro (1 and done lottery pick) and the low-end being Corey Kispert (4 year player but still easily drafted).

There have been no strong signs one way or the other on whether Hyatt, Mulcahy or Cliff will be back (folks seem most confident in Cliff). We also have no idea what Mag’s timetable for return is and no idea what caliber of transfers we’ll be bringing in.

So speculating or worrying about Gavin not starting until January is silly in my opinion.

The most interesting/sobering note was that 72 doesn’t see him at all as a 2 or so and done. I don’t take that as gospel but it’s a tad disappointing. I envision the very high-end of Gavin’s potential being Tyler Herro (1 and done lottery pick) and the low-end being Corey Kispert (4 year player but still easily drafted).

Regarding the “not a 2 and done” - it’s a little weird to consider a high scoring elite shooting wing as an instant impact player - but also not consider them a potential early entrant to the NBA draft.

It just doesn’t make sense to have such differing opinions.

How many minutes did those 3 combine for handling the ball on the perimeter? It’s a rounding error to -0- Lol.

Pike only played those guys at 4-5. He tried Hyatt at 2-3 the year before and it didn’t work at all. Because as said, he can’t handle the ball at all with any semblance of on ball pressure. Of course Paul, Caleb, etc. have a ton more turnovers. Its mathematically unavoidable for the guys who have the ball in their hands the most to end up with the most turnovers. Common sense man. Gavin isn’t going to play the 4. He’s a prototype 3 or big 2. A shooter.

The point is - we started Paul, Cam, Caleb and rotated in Derek (1-3). The only guy gone is Caleb. Hyatt sliding over (or Mag) would be the only incumbent competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714

Nothing at all disappointing about my comment. Of course Gavin could start on day one,but Steve is a coach who does not necessarily like to throw kids into the fire immediately. He will start obviously at some point as a frosh and should ultimately be a top 2 scorer on the team as a frosh. He does need to get stronger and bulk up. Like Simpson. He is a kid who wants to enjoy the college experience and bring Rutgers to new heights. He already has tons of Rutgers gear. I just envision him graduating from Rutgers,taking Rutgers to new places in the NCAA with some equally talented players and then hopefully having an NBA career. He is a stud and a nice kid. He is also ultra competitive and after his group had one bad sequence last night was visibly mad at himself and the group he is running with. He has a brother like relationship with Kante and it is because of Gavin that Rutgers was in it so long with Kante. Kante is also nowhere close to a one or 2 and done, but will be far more impactful than Dickinson ever was under Juwan. Kante sang the praises of Phil Martelli who was his prime recruiter.

Agree. So many unknowns at this point. We do know Caleb is gone so there is one perimeter slot to fill.

We don’t know if this is a rebuild or a reload.

Hyatt usually shot the ball or passed it right back out of the corner that gave him the low turnover/100 possessions number
Whenever he put it on the floor, it was an adventure.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I envision the very high-end of Gavin’s potential being Tyler Herro (1 and done lottery pick) and the low-end being Corey Kispert (4 year player but still easily drafted).
I agree, but I read RU72's comment to mean he is one and done.
Ruys ranked as high as him with his positional size and skillset are not in college very long.

He is not a one and done on any planet and that is a great thing for Rutgers basketball.
The longer we can keep him, the better chances RU will have to succeed in the post season with the next class (Ace and fingers crossed on our other 5 star prospect) coming in. It sounds like GG will have to bulk up a little too to get to the next level.

He is not a one and done on any planet and that is a great thing for Rutgers basketbBlink.

He is a potential Big Ten Freshman Of the Year?
Or potentially on Big Ten All-Freshman Team?

If so then he's potentially one and done caliber.
As I said above, you can't have it both ways. He's incredibly talented and instant offense. But he's also not on the NBA Draft radar.

He is a potential Big Ten Freshman Of the Year?
Or potentially on Big Ten All-Freshman Team?

If so then he's potentially one and done caliber.
As I said above, you can't have it both ways. He's incredibly talented and instant offense. But he's also not on the NBA Draft radar.
Interestingly Gavin's Expressions EYBL/AAU teammate Matas Buzelis is a projected #1 pick in some 2024 mocks
Matas will be playing G League Ignite next season

• Sad
Reactions: cRURah
Gavin confirmed 1 and done
This is a shame in the sense that, the next year, with two more possible five-star players, we would have even something more cooking
He would be back, seasoned a bit, joined with the others

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT