ADVERTISEMENT

Mag,Cliff and Mgbako

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Mag is badly banged up now. That is why he has been out.

The 2 biggest recruits for next season, after the frosh have signed are Cliff and Mag. Many other places,especially in the SEC want one or both and have $$$. Rutgers wants both back also.

There are many workarounds paying a foreign kid.

Mgbako is smelling around other schools and entering the portal.

Gavin is way better today than 2 weeks ago,but I certainly don't see him as a starter next season. Especially early on.

I agree on Cliff and Mag. If we can’t hang on to them we’ll have to go out and try to find others very much like them in the portal. Probably easier to raise the cash to keep them and use one of those work arounds.

Is Mgbako considering RU? He'd be great at the three for us. I guess good to hear that Mag isn't like sitting out or anything, but I'm still confused by Pike's comments in that regard

The 2 biggest recruits for next season, after the frosh have signed are Cliff and Mag. Many other places,especially in the SEC want one or both and have $$$. Rutgers wants both back also.

Gavin is way better today than 2 weeks ago,but I certainly don't see him as a starter next season. Especially early on.

I disagree. Is this based on stuff you are hearing? From what I’ve seen - I think keeping J Will is most important of everyone currently on the roster. I don’t think we’re going to find another willing distributor like him to complement Dylan. And I don’t think the other guys we have are the right choices to play that role. They can be spark plug role players. None of them are distributor first types though who can finish in iso when needed. Only J Will. To me - his departure would create the biggest gap followed by Cliff. That’s not diminishing what Mag did for us last season but I don’t see it as a guarantee that he gets healthy. Wouldn’t put our resources there. Other priorities IMO.

I disagree. Is this based on stuff you are hearing? From what I’ve seen - I think keeping J Will is most important of everyone currently on the roster. I don’t think we’re going to find another willing distributor like him to complement Dylan. And I don’t think the other guys we have are the right choices to play that role. They can be spark plug role players. None of them are distributor first types though who can finish in iso when needed. Only J Will. To me - his departure would create the biggest gap followed by Cliff. That’s not diminishing what Mag did for us last season but I don’t see it as a guarantee that he gets healthy. Wouldn’t put our resources there. Other priorities IMO.

I'd rank them

1) Cliff
2a) J Will
2b) Mag

But it's definitely close when all three are healthy. For me what wins out is the rim protector Cliff gives you which I think will compliment the true Frosh and they defensive lapses they will have at times.

J Will has been so damn good and Mag has not but I'm a bit worried because I do think Jeremiah needs the ball in his hands a lot to be effective and so will Dylan and Ace.

Mag, when healthy, is similar in that he can do so much for a defense it will allow Dylan and Ace to focus more of their energy on what they do best.

Is Mgbako a part of this post bc Rutgers would be in the running to land him, or bc he was a target in the past?

Does Rutgers have NIL money to keep Cliff and Mag? .... and pursue Mgbako?

How about money to land a portal 3 point shooter? And where do you see that in terms of priority?

I have said this before, but if I am being objective rather than an RU fan, I don't see why Cliff would not at least look at other options for next year. I don't think he will be playing professionally in the US regardless, but just like the other thread about Cam's parents view of the program, I could see Cliff's "advisors" telling him a year at a high profile SEC schools that has available minutes for a center would give him a better chance to continue playing professionally somewhere.

It will hurt RU's prospects but Pike went into this year thinking Cliff was leaving and still needs to enhance this roster with some size and physicality regardless. I keep thinking back to the obvious disparity in physical presence when we played Mississippi State at the Rock.

No reason for Cliff to come back to RU. None. Either play pro...somewhere...or go somewhere where he can have fun. That is not Ru. He has tapped out his potential here....period. Is there a place where they can coach his hands...bc they are awful.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
In response to above, an NCAA tournament run is a memory of a lifetime....There is your reason for cliff to come back...

Reactions: Loyal-Son
There's no way he's coming here
Mgbako has a lot of ties to Rutgers and to people connected to Rutgers. Loads of ties. Rutgers does not have the NIL war chest to get him now. He may lose his coach at Indiana. Dusty May will most likely be at Indiana or Ohio State next year,so if Indiana wants May,they will act soon on the awful hire called Woodson. Rutgers would take Mgbako in a NY minute if it could.

Ironically that is the reason to transfer, not return.
That logic would have made more sense last off season

This off season if he transfers, I would expect it to be more about the money than not thinking Rutgers could make a tournament run if he returns

Reactions: Knightmoves
Although I believe Cliff and probably Mag are gone, the goal of our potential starting 5 of Cliff, Mag, Ace, JWilliams, and Harper should minimally be the Sweet 16.

That logic would have made more sense last off season

This off season if he transfers, I would expect it to be more about the money than not thinking Rutgers could make a tournament run if he returns
I honestly feel more badly for cliff than anyone the way the summer turned out. When he decided to come back in May, by all accounts Spencer and Mulcahy were expected to be back too

Last edited:
I honestly feel more badly for cliff than anyone the way the summer came out. When he decided to come back in May, by all accounts Spencer and Mulcahy were expected to be back too
Completely agree. There's a good chance he doesn't decide to return if he had known

Reactions: RUChoppin
i don't think anyone outside of Rutgers fans expects a NCAA tournament run with our returning players and 2 freshman.
Have to see what the final roster is first. It's certainly possible. We don't know who is staying or returning and we don't know who we might get in the portal

We clearly have more offensive firepower next season regardless of how it shakes out, but reliable veteran players are mandatory to surround them if we want a deep run

Reliable veteran players, That I can agree
With.
I struggle to see more than 1 based on last night’s performance.
When I hear reliable, I think, consistently good in quality or performance.
Mag on the bench, limited play over the last 2 years, I get it he had a major injury.
Cliff, did not play well last night so much so there is speculation as to whether he was injured.
Going to be a long interesting off season.
I hope whatever happens gives us the best possible supporting cast for our diaper dandies

The comment about Indiana is silly. From Imbad.

Last edited:
So you're saying RU, a team that has two lottery picks in the starting lineup, is unlikely to make an NCAA tournament run next season?
it's possible, but I wouldn't say likely. nowadays with covid years and the portal you've got 23 and 24 year olds on rosters. Ace and DH will still be kids. I wouldn't count on 30 ppg between them. Plus, we won't have much surrounding talent aside from JWill and hopefully GG. Our other returning guards are mid-major bench talents.

Reactions: biazza38
it's possible, but I wouldn't say likely. nowadays with covid years and the portal you've got 23 and 24 year olds on rosters. Ace and DH will still be kids. I wouldn't count on 30 ppg between them. Plus, we won't have much surrounding talent aside from JWill and hopefully GG. Our other returning guards are mid-major bench talents.
If Bailey and Harper don't score between them at least 30 points a game ,Rutgers will have a record similar to this season. A 3 Point shooter from the transfer portal is a must addition for next seasons team.

If Bailey and Harper don't score between them at least 30 points a game ,Rutgers will have a record similar to this season. A 3 Point shooter from the transfer portal is a must addition for next seasons team.
It’s a team game. What’s Cliff averaging despite barely any other 5s to challenge him ? I’ll bet you expected a lot more from GG. I’d be shocked if the two incoming stars combine for 35 a game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT