ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin and Kante

That should shut down the whole conversation on the topic
Unfortunately people get dug in and won’t budge
You mean just like people saying Gavin is one and done when @RU72 who has the best intel on the kid is saying the opposite. Seems like people dug in hard there and won't budge. 😀

You mean just like people saying Gavin is one and done when @RU72 who has the best intel on the kid is saying the opposite. Seems like people dug in hard there and won't budge. 😀
i saw him play at an all star game practice
He lost his starting spot to Palmquist

Those two things are not similar

i saw him play at an all star game practice
He lost his starting spot to Palmquist

Those two things are not similar
LOL, Oskar started all of 2 games this season. Let's not get dug in & overplay his contributions.

What “inside info” does anyone have about Gavin playing his way into a potential NBA draft pick?
He also said Gavin isn’t an early entrant on any planet.

Does the “inside info” say that if Gavin is Big Time Freshman Of The Year and a projected 1st round pick he’s going to turn it down?
Good luck with that info.

If anything, having “inside info” on college basketball makes you a terrible draft prognosticator.

So point being he’s not turning it over.

Cliff had a higher usage rate. As you say, he doesn’t handle the ball much I guess (I think he handles the ball most possessions actually) but he turns it over more than Hyatt.

Everyone except maybe you knows that by “handling the ball” I meant as a primary or secondary dribbler not simply touching the ball to take shots in the post or on kick outs.
You brought up turnovers. That’s not an appropriate metric to assess ball handling skills. Cliff is not a ball handler. Not primary or secondary. It doesn’t matter in his case because he’s a 5. Hyatt has demonstrated that he cannot be even a secondary ball handler either which restricts his role on offense to the 4. 2s and 3s need to be able to dribble with a defender on them. He can’t. He’s worse at this than Paul, Caleb, Cam and Simpson by a wide margin.

People have broken down the numbers before but most NBA draft picks are 1 or 2 and done. If Gavin isn't then his odds of getting drafted at all go way down

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Everyone except maybe you knows that by “handling the ball” I meant as a primary or secondary dribbler not simply touching the ball to take shots in the post or on kick outs.
You brought up turnovers. That’s not an appropriate metric to assess ball handling skills. Cliff is not a ball handler. Not primary or secondary. It doesn’t matter in his case because he’s a 5. Hyatt has demonstrated that he cannot be even a secondary ball handler either which restricts his role on offense to the 4. 2s and 3s need to be able to dribble with a defender on them. He can’t. He’s worse at this than Paul, Caleb, Cam and Simpson by a wide margin.
I don’t see it this way tbh. Seems like a lot of rationalization based on style preference.

Hyatt is a career 28% 3 point shooter who has mental lapses and gets lost defensively. He doesn’t handle the ball well enough or guard the perimeter well. His best position is the 4 which he is undersized to play

He is very replaceable

Doesn't mean he didn't have a few good games along the way. Every player should have good games

Worse about Hyatt and more telling was his minutes got cut at the end of the season which obviously signalled something

People have broken down the numbers before but most NBA draft picks are 1 or 2 and done. If Gavin isn't then his odds of getting drafted at all go way down
NBA mock draft has him drafted second round after 2nd year of playing. Who knows?

Of course every injury is different

I tore an acl skiing years ago at the very end of a ski season and was ready to go well before the next season began
Without surgery
Breaking your acl very common among skiers and I have never had a friend who did it, not be ready the next season

I would be hopeful Mag is a go for fall practice or early on in the next season

How can an ACL heal without surgery?

What “inside info” does anyone have about Gavin playing his way into a potential NBA draft pick?
He also said Gavin isn’t an early entrant on any planet.

Does the “inside info” say that if Gavin is Big Time Freshman Of The Year and a projected 1st round pick he’s going to turn it down?
Good luck with that info.

If anything, having “inside info” on college basketball makes you a terrible draft prognosticator.
LOL, he's more connected to the entire NE prep school hoops scene than the rest of the board combined, runs a HS all-star game, and is a pretty good judge of players if you listened to him on the recent podcast.

What's your resume other than seeing Gavin's highlights?

BTW Gavin will have a good season next year but he's not putting up 20+ pts a game just shooting from outside. He needs to bulk up a bit if he's going to have any type of strong presence inside the 3 pt line and as a rebounder. His body type is not the same as Ace Bailey who will be NBA ready day one on campus.

LOL, he's more connected to the entire NE prep school hoops scene than the rest of the board combined, runs a HS all-star game, and is a pretty good judge of players if you listened to him on the recent podcast.

BTW Gavin will have a good season next year but he's not putting up 20+ pts a game just shooting from outside. He needs to bulk up a bit if he's going to have any type of strong presence inside the 3 pt line and as a rebounder. His body type is not the same as Ace Bailey who will be NBA ready day one on campus.
Gavin has a very polished all around offensive game. He's not just a 3 point shooter. When you're that good of a shooter defenders come flying out at you so it will be easier for him to even look at the rim and then put the ball on the floor and get past his man into the lane

How can an ACL heal without surgery?
No doctor here, but I was told you don't need it, the rest of your muscles, tendons are enough and compensate for the injury
My good friend tore his two years ago, diagnosed by a doctor, no surgery, and was perfectly fine by the next ski season
Possibly surgery is preferred if you want to be a professional in sports, for long term, and possibly why Mag had it done
But some people do not get surgery

No doctor here, but I was told you don't need it, the rest of your muscles, tendons are enough and compensate for the injury
My good friend tore his two years ago, diagnosed by a doctor, no surgery, and was perfectly fine by the next ski season
Possibly surgery is preferred if you want to be a professional in sports, for long term, and possibly why Mag had it done

Interesting. Isn't the biggest problem moving side to side? I would have thought that would affect yiur skiing ability. Glad it doesn't.

Reactions: wheezer
Worse about Hyatt and more telling was his minutes got cut at the end of the season which obviously signalled something
Yup - and it maybe just signaled the obvious. If he’s not scoring at a high rate (which he wasn’t late season), he’s barely worthy of utility minutes because his defense hurts us and he can’t help with dribbling / ball distribution.

Interesting. Isn't the biggest problem moving side to side? I would have thought that would affect yiur skiing ability. Glad it doesn't.

Also depends on how bad a tear it is. I've had frequent kneecap subluxations, and never had surgery to repair it. After 10-15 knee injuries to my right knee, my left finally went.... and the therapist tried to compare my injured knee to my "good" knee. She said "I'd be curious to know how much of an ACL you actually have left in there".

Apparently I had many partial tears throughout high school and college, and with each one you lose some elasticity and stability.

Gavin has a very polished all around offensive game. He's not just a 3 point shooter. When you're that good of a shooter defenders come flying out at you so it will be easier for him to even look at the rim and then put the ball on the floor and get past his man into the lane
I agree that he's got a good all round game for the HS level but we know the B1G is very physical and a few guys will outmuscle him at both ends as a freshman. Not everyone is going to agree with this until play starts but we did see it at times with Simpson and certain guards this year. Maybe it'd be less of a concern if RU was in a different conference where it is more wide open play style.

I agree that he's got a good all round game for the HS level but we know the B1G is very physical and a few guys will outmuscle him at both ends as a freshman. Not everyone is going to agree with this until play starts but we did see it at times with Simpson and certain guards this year. Maybe it'd be less of a concern if RU was in a different conference where it is more wide open play style.
Caleb is listed as 6'7" 200lbs
Gavin is listed as 6'7" 185lbs or 180lbs
180-185 is from this fall maybe even earlier. I'll bet he's 190 at least by now.
He's going to be Caleb's weight maybe even heavier by the time November rolls around.
He's skinny/ripped for a HS kid if you see him up close - definitely in the weight room
Something that doesn't get mentioned much about him is his wingspan - I'll be he's +4/+5 inches

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Gavin is a perimeter player. He will rebound when he can but he is going to spend most of his time around the 3 point line.

Also depends on how bad a tear it is. I've had frequent kneecap subluxations, and never had surgery to repair it. After 10-15 knee injuries to my right knee, my left finally went.... and the therapist tried to compare my injured knee to my "good" knee. She said "I'd be curious to know how much of an ACL you actually have left in there".

Apparently I had many partial tears throughout high school and college, and with each one you lose some elasticity and stability.
There's actually a new surgery called the BEAR implant where the torn ACL is sutured together and an implant that contains the patients blood is inserted around the tear allowing for the ACL to heal.

Typical ACL reconstruction takes the patients patellar tendon or hamstring tendon and they basically drill into the patients tibia and femur and the harvested tendon acts as a new ACL.

The bear implant is way less traumatic than the reconstruction and hypothetically would allow quicker return to sport.

The thing about it is that Caleb is gone. The usual obstacles for frosh starting are defense and ball handling decision making. The incumbent competition at the 3 is:

A) Hyatt - it’s hard to imagine him being a materially better defender than anyone. We’re in trouble if that’s the case. He’s also a walking turnover on the perimeter. So again, if Gavin is notably worse at these things that’s bad news.

B) Mag - will be recovering from injury.
Good points. I would like to give Hyatt some credit for making some progress on D after Mag went out. And Paul seemed to take a step back on D.. not sure if there was an injury issue.. minutes issue like he wore down.. but he seemed to be a step slow trying to double down and/or get back.. he was caught in no-mans-land way too many times late in the season.

Mag.. yeah.. some injuries can take several years to recover. There is always talk about not trusting the injured leg for a year or more. but based on how he injured it... maybe he trusted it too much and doing less might be more... more control... go in with a plan rather than depending g on ungodly physics models applied to his legs.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Good points. I would like to give Hyatt some credit for making some progress on D after Mag went out. And Paul seemed to take a step back on D.. not sure if there was an injury issue.. minutes issue like he wore down.. but he seemed to be a step slow trying to double down and/or get back.. he was caught in no-mans-land way too many times late in the season.

Mag.. yeah.. some injuries can take several years to recover. There is always talk about not trusting the injured leg for a year or more. but based on how he injured it... maybe he trusted it too much and doing less might be more... more control... go in with a plan rather than depending g on ungodly physics models applied to his legs.
If Hyatt returns, he certainly could start at the 4. His defense was better there than on the perimeter. Without knowing anything else about our roster, I’d be surprised if he slides over to the 3 though which was the discussion - competition for GG. He does not have guard caliber ball handling skills and that’s not something he’s likely to develop as a super senior.

Jett Howard (6'5" 180lb SF #47 overall - according to rivals) played himself into a 1st round pick and declared for the draft.
Saw he is now listed 6'7" 215lbs.

How does Gavin compare?

Ha. Jokes on you! I've never even seen Gavin highlights.

You listed a lot of "credentials" that mean nothing to judging NBA draft prospects.
The original line was "no way Gavin is a 2 and done" then backed up with "not a 2 and done in any universe".

Either: he's not good enough or he has no interest.

If he's going to be All Freshman Team caliber then he's going to be good enough.
Most people seem to think (those who watched his highlights) he will be.
3 of 5 players on the Freshman Team are declaring for the draft and likely 1st round picks.

So as I asked, @RU72 why wouldnt Gavin be a potential early Entry for the draft?

He won't be good enough or he's personally said he isn't interested?

Ha. Jokes on you! I've never even seen Gavin highlights.

You listed a lot of "credentials" that mean nothing to judging NBA draft prospects.
The original line was "no way Gavin is a 2 and done" then backed up with "not a 2 and done in any universe".

Either: he's not good enough or he has no interest.

If he's going to be All Freshman Team caliber then he's going to be good enough.
Most people seem to think (those who watched his highlights) he will be.
3 of 5 players on the Freshman Team are declaring for the draft and likely 1st round picks.
Yeah, some people seem to think one and dones have to score 20 a game or similar to get picked.
Hood-Schifino averaged 13.5ppg/4.1rpg and he'll be a one-and-done first-round pick

Yeah, some people seem to think one and dones have to score 20 a game or similar to get picked.
Hood-Schifino averaged 13.5ppg/4.1rpg and he'll be a one-and-done first-round pick
Branham had similar stats last year and went pick 20. He and Hood-Schifino are obviously really good, though. Throw Bryce McGowens in there too.

What about Max Christie from MSU….his stats were much less impressive than those guys and he went pick 35.

I’m not saying Gavin will be Max Christie but to say he doesn’t even have 2 and done potential is bizarre to me.

I don’t have the stats in front of me but I’d imagine Hood-Schifino averaged 15+ per game from February on. He just kept getting better.

He averaged 10.7 over his first 10 games through the end of 2022, 14.2 over his next 10, and 15.6 over his next 10 (through the end of the B1G tournament). From the start of February to the end of the year he averaged 15.3

Gavin probably slots in at around 11 to 12 PPG, if he plays starter minutes (26 to 28 MPG).

How effective he is or isn't will depend on what players are on the court with him. The more defensive players who can get deflections and steals, might be able to get RU back on track with layups in transition... the lack of footspeed on this past year's roster, will not help Gavin, if it's another slower footed roster around him.

A roster with a Taran Armstrong type guard from the transfer portal, stepping in for Mulcahy, mixed with Simpson and his ability to push the ball, will allow Gavin to roam and find spots to shoot.

Gavin (to me) isn't close to a 1 and done type of talent or has that type of mindset of getting to the fastest path of being a 2nd round or Free Agent on a NBA level. He's more grounded and is interested in winning games at the college level, definitely interested in teaming up with Ace Bailey, Deliquan Warren and hopefully Dylan Harper and Tyler Betsey etc.

The longer Gavin plays at RU, the better RUs program becomes. I don't see a situation where Gavin comes to RU and bypasses getting a degree, so I would guess with a very high level of confidence, he's at RU a minimum of 3 seasons.

The longer Gavin plays at RU, the better RUs program becomes. I don't see a situation where Gavin comes to RU and bypasses getting a degree, so I would guess with a very high level of confidence, he's at RU a minimum of 3 seasons.
~15th pick, 4 years $18M, with first two years guaranteed?
That's about what Hood-Schifino will be looking at from mock drafts and 2022 contracts

People really think "Gavin's not that type of kid, he'd rather get his degree, play with Dylan and Ace, build the program" etc? Are his parents billionaires and he doesn't have a care in the world about money? That's about the only way I see that being realistic.

Also - no matter how much he loves Pike or Rutgers, he grew up with a dream of playing in the NBA (they all do) and not with a dream of playing for Pike at Rutgers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT