ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin

I guess it would depend on how the payment is being doled out. For example, I remember a couple of cases last year where players still needed to make a couple of appearances to receive the full payment from that particular NIL agreement.

Can you imagine uproar if nil collectives tried to back out of paying athletes for non performance.

Can you imagine uproar if nil collectives tried to back out of paying athletes for non performance.
The thing I'm aware of was a side deal and probably not part of the main package, so I don't think there would be an uproar. I guess there would be one, but I can't imagine telling my boss to pay me up front and then not show up for the final two months of the year. I guess that's what we do with executive severance packages. 😂

Reactions: bac2therac
Adding to the above.....Oskar is getting knocked around...falling to the floor, getting hit in the face, etc. HE is really trying out there and is the closest thing to physical out of our 4s
Thank God we asked him to come back after basically kicking off the team for better "players" lol.

I fully expect to be dislodged at the RAC. That could accelerate me from leaving. I hate the way the game is going. I find myself watching hockey over everything non RU hoops right now.

Dylan coming is great, but i can see it the beginning of the end for me and possibly the program itself

Did you read the Mike Rice article? I think your wrong about Dylan. Rice (for all his issues) is a tell it like it is kind of guy. If he says Dylan and Ace are rare specimens in AAU ball in the way their games make others around them better and they don’t look to play me ball - I’m buying it. Also - their skill sets are different from GG. I don’t think the parallels you keep drawing are concerns. Gavin has Joe Weiskamp type star potential. That type of player needs a strong surrounding cast at PG to succeed. Dylan and Ace are playmakers. It’s very different.

I also think those guys understand what they are getting into in terms of the requirements on the defensive end. Especially Dylan as his brother has been through the program. Next season presents as brand defining opportunity for Pike. The message is simple. Calling all offensive recruit studs - go to Rutgers - the coach over their will take your D to the next level too. If Pike nails this - Rutgers basketball is truly on the map. Of course - if we bust and end up a bubble team then things move the opposite way. But heck, he can always go back to molding under recruited kids into defenders. There isn’t much downside here.

He needs to be more vocal/confident. If you have the most talent, you need to act like it. I know it's a big step up from high school, but Pike gave him more than enough minutes yesterday and he did nothing. Way too tentative.

In fairness to Pike he had to bring in Noah. Apparently Paul wasn't giving 100% commitment in coming back. These days you need it. Coaches need to stop being loyal. Not sure why Paul would be afrsid of Noah given what we have seen
Do we know that for sure? The original word was Paul would return and all was a formality. Then something changed.

Maybe Paul was told that he’d likely be shifting off ball based on the influx Of PG types and he didn’t like it? Something changed.

Do we know that for sure? The original word was Paul would return and all was a formality. Then something changed.

Maybe Paul was told that he’d likely be shifting off ball based on the influx Of PG types and he didn’t like it? Something changed.

Paul had ever opportunity to declare he was coming back. Why are you leaving on the last possible day. Sorry its just wrong. Cam already left. How could the staff not nail down Paul unless Paul was stringing them along

No but when did Paul leave..who does that
Paul Mulcahy May 2024 graduates and is in the job market for a real job. If he wants to live in NJ he can't afford a house. His coaches have all made $4,000,000, the athletic department is bringing in tons of $ because of him and football.

Would you advise Paul Mulcahy to turn down $500,000? He would be a financial fool.

Paul had ever opportunity to declare he was coming back. Why are you leaving on the last possible day. Sorry its just wrong. Cam already left. How could the staff not nail down Paul unless Paul was stringing them along
MAybe all of our $ is going to 2 players that will be here for 31 games

Now I know he is not shooting well tonight but how can you have any confidence when every time you miss a shot Pikell is going to pull you out of the game which is exactly what he does why doesn’t he take Cliff out every time he turns the ball over drops the ball or misses a dunk!!
Cliff plays defense.

Did you read the Mike Rice article? I think your wrong about Dylan. Rice (for all his issues) is a tell it like it is kind of guy. If he says Dylan and Ace are rare specimens in AAU ball in the way their games make others around them better and they don’t look to play me ball - I’m buying it. Also - their skill sets are different from GG. I don’t think the parallels you keep drawing are concerns. Gavin has Joe Weiskamp type star potential. That type of player needs a strong surrounding cast at PG to succeed. Dylan and Ace are playmakers. It’s very different.

I also think those guys understand what they are getting into in terms of the requirements on the defensive end. Especially Dylan as his brother has been through the program. Next season presents as brand defining opportunity for Pike. The message is simple. Calling all offensive recruit studs - go to Rutgers - the coach over their will take your D to the next level too. If Pike nails this - Rutgers basketball is truly on the map. Of course - if we bust and end up a bubble team then things move the opposite way. But heck, he can always go back to molding under recruited kids into defenders. There isn’t much downside here.
that's great...they come here for 1 year. They will be gone after 1 year.

Did we sacrifice this year for them? Maybe, maybe not....I don't know how things work because it is all dark. I do know money is finite.

1. There is a jump from AAU to playing for Pike on the defensive end. I watched a half the other day of one of Dylan's game and it was attrocious amount of D they play. Does Pike lower his defensive standards? Danny Hurley allows players to defend at a different standard to Pike
2. I have serious concerns that this staff has enough offensive intellect on it. Is scratch my head at some of the things we run and don't run. When St. Peter's played man defense and didn't double and we couldn't figure out how to capitalize. Last night Cliff actually gets the ball low with the defender on his left hip Cliff faces up instead of the easy dropstep dunk. We have a nice play with a down screen for Gavin and i have seen it twice. Our guards don't know how to or they don't jump stop.

Most Big Ten freshmen have been non-factors or worse. The best one was the one ranked 212th. It's a tough climate for freshmen right now with the COVID extra year (and that'll still be there next year, which is a valid worry for a team dependent on freshmen)

p0wS4Gz.png

Paul Mulcahy May 2024 graduates and is in the job market for a real job. If he wants to live in NJ he can't afford a house. His coaches have all made $4,000,000, the athletic department is bringing in tons of $ because of him and football.

Would you advise Paul Mulcahy to turn down $500,000? He would be a financial fool.
then why did he come running back trying to get bac in

I truly don’t get it. Many posters who are typically wrong in many ways about the team and coaching are very consistent in how our offense and rebounding are abysmal.
if that is how an average person sees it why aren’t our coaches who are paid to do this not fixing the problems?
Our offense has been awful under like for years… now he just doesn’t have the players ti overcome some of the shortcomings of our bad “sets”
The players aren’t very skilled and that’s all on Pike. Not a lot of upside and a ton of one-dimensional role players. Seriously, how many of our starters start on another B1G team…just Cliff?..and the way he’s going perhaps not even him soon.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Most Big Ten freshmen have been non-factors or worse. The best one was the one ranked 212th. It's a tough climate for freshmen right now with the COVID extra year (and that'll still be there next year, which is a valid worry for a team dependent on freshmen)

p0wS4Gz.png
People are talking about NCAAs next year like it is a given.....I think with a bunch of new faces NCAA would be extremely difficult.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg and Mr Magoo

I'd advise him not to be the biggest douchebag ever to the guy that stuck with him during the hard times while making a decision that could've easily been made earlier. That's why I couldn't care less if mulcahy gets hit by a bus.

not extremely difficult. I do not think you realize what having the #2 and #3 players mean
1. You have a good chance of being right
2. I may be going under an incorrect assumption that Pike's weakness as a coach is offense
3. I could be biASED watching AAU footage and maybe biased I am painting Dylan a little with Ron's brush

Holmgren and Banchero did in 2021.....did they have a nucleus behind them.....my fear is we won't have it in 24-25

Reactions: Goku
1 year......
Did Dariq Whitehead or Nick Smith move the needle much for their respective schools?

If Dylan and Ace turn into plus defenders, Rutgers hits the branding jackpot. Then it’s not just about those 31 games. If those 2 should become Caleb like defenders, we’re then known as the program that’s going to teach defense for the NBA. It’s a huge opportunity and far from a guarantee we cash in. But to BAC’s point, you seem to not be grasping how big this could be for us on a long term basis. It’s not only about next year if things go well.

Reactions: Kbee3
NJH has told me specifically I will like Ace's defense so I am excited about that. It would be a big buy in for Dylan to both learn how to play defense and actually play defense. Having watched him both in HS and AAU it is going to be a big adjustment. Unlike gavin I am going under the assumption they both have the ability to play it (lateral quickness).

Gavin right now looks like a scrawny , nerdy kid who needs to spend less time in the gym shooting and more time eating at the training table .Should next get into the weight room though it’ll take 2 seasons to get to 220-225. And Pike should give him 25 minutes EVERY game going forward. Don’t waste his talent .

Reactions: Goku
Now I know he is not shooting well tonight but how can you have any confidence when every time you miss a shot Pikell is going to pull you out of the game which is exactly what he does why doesn’t he take Cliff out every time he turns the ball over drops the ball or misses a dunk!!
this is part of the problem! not all treated equal

People are talking about NCAAs next year like it is a given.....I think with a bunch of new faces NCAA would be extremely difficult.
The Fab Five from Michigan wouldn't agree.Rutgers will have two one and done players on the court who could each average at least 20 points a game.Rutgers fans are too used to watching players that have limited offensive skills.That will change next season with the five new players that have size and skillsets that should lead Rutgers to national rankings and a NCAA bid.The challenge for the coaching staff is to install a half court offense that doesn't stifle their talent.

The Fab Five from Michigan wouldn't agree.Rutgers will have two one and done players on the court who could each average at least 20 points a game.Rutgers fans are too used to watching players that have limited offensive skills.That will change next season with the five new players that have size and skillsets that should lead Rutgers to national rankings and a NCAA bid.The challenge for the coaching staff is to install a half court offense that doesn't stifle their talent.
Sommerville has a good skillset on offense for a big man. I can't remember the last time RU got a center this polished as a high school player (these cut-ups are from a game earlier this week.)

• Love
Reactions: Scangg
The real reason Pike is limiting Gavins play is to ensure he keeps him for next year and that he doesnt jump to the NBA just yet as a one and done (like many people said before the season)

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
The real reason Pike is limiting Gavins play is to ensure he keeps him for next year and that he doesnt jump to the NBA just yet as a one and done (like many people said before the season)
I think Gavin Is going to be a great Rutgers player but to say Pikiell is holding him back and limiting him in order to prevent him from a “ one and. done”. That’s absurd.

Reactions: High Quality H2O
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT