ADVERTISEMENT

Geo Baker ready to be the man

This is very nice to hear.

Everyone - Take a look at BOTH videos in the OP’s article. The interview is great. And the Geo coming out party video against Purdue at MSG in the quarterfinals of the B1G totally gives me goosebumps.

Who on this website is the guy that diminishes Geo’s contributions as a freshman because he claims that Geo faded as the season went on? The reality is he was sick toward the end of the season, but he ended the season STRONG. THat dude should look at the Geo coming out party video vs Purdue.

Geo, a 414 rated recruit played on the court like a top 100 player his freshman year. Can’t wait to see him grow this year! Great recruiting by Pike!

Last edited:
That highlight video of him vs Purdue is even more amazing when you realize it was his third game in 3 days, and Purdue was playing with fresh legs. Incredible performance for a freshman, on a big stage against one of the top teams in the country (Purdue finished at 30-7 overall and 15-3 in conference, ranked #11 in the nation and advancing to the Sweet 16 even after Haas got hurt).

Everyone - Take a look at BOTH videos in this article. The interview is great. And the Geo coming out party video against Purdue at MSG in the quarterfinals of the B1G totally gives me goosebumps.

Who on this website is the guy that diminishes Geo’s contributions as a freshman because he claims that Geo faded as the season went on. The reality is he was sick toward the end of the season, but he ended the season STRONG. THat dude should look at the Geo coming out party video vs Purdue.

Geo, a 414 rated recruit played in the court like a top 100 player his freshman year. Can’t wait to see him grow this year! Great recruiting by Pike!

Yes, Geo was very confident in his ability but also showed he has the skills to back it up. How the newcomers of Mathis and Kiss play will dictate a lot of the success of baker and the rest of the team because he will need another guard to run with that will help make this team go, that being said things are trending up on the banks.

He was awesome in that game. I think Corey rubbed off on him. He took a lot of jumpers from the elbow. That was always Corey’s favorite shot. Well tough shot to defend

Reactions: Scarlet83
He was awesome in that game. I think Corey rubbed off on him. He took a lot of jumpers from the elbow. That was always Corey’s favorite shot. Well tough shot to defend

Tough shot to defend, tough shot to consistently make. Going to have to get easier looks for himself to take the next step in his career. Promising future ahead.

Tough shot to defend, tough shot to consistently make. Going to have to get easier looks for himself to take the next step in his career. Promising future ahead.
Yes and yes... but that’s why you practice a ton. Corey hit a lot of big shots with ease by taking that tough shot. I don’t disagree at all with what you are saying. But great players will make it

Reactions: Scarlet83
Good interview. Geo is incredibly mature for a sophomore in college. What a great representative for the basketball team and Rutgers University.

Geo almost willed team to a shocker over Purdue.He was great! He has the best ability on team to create his own shot. He does a nice job in creating space to get his shot off and uses step back effectively. Question becomes who else on team can mirror Geo to create space... love to see Issa, Kiss, Mathis, Harper, McConnell all develop the same spacing for creating good looks.

Geo almost willed team to a shocker over Purdue.He was great! He has the best ability on team to create his own shot. He does a nice job in creating space to get his shot off and uses step back effectively. Question becomes who else on team can mirror Geo to create space... love to see Issa, Kiss, Mathis, Harper, McConnell all develop the same spacing for creating good looks.

Agree a lot with what you said, and his ability to make plays for teammates will be a welcome sight this season

I think Geo Baker has a chance to be a special player for RU, if they can have another capable scorer or two step up then their is potential to do damage

Reactions: Scangg
I think Geo Baker has a chance to be a special player for RU, if they can have another capable scorer or two step up then their is potential to do damage

My hope is that we ride an inside-out game of Baker and Omoruyi, with Thiam and Kiss sprinkled in as third and fourth offensive options.

I'd like to see Baker at 14 ppg and Eugene at 12 ppg, basically replacing what we lost from Sanders and Freeman. Then Kiss has to step up and at least replace Mike Williams' 8 ppg, and Thiam has to increase his own production from 7 ppg to 10 ppg.

That's 44 points from your top four scorers, and I have to think we'll be able to add another 22 ppg from the rest of the roster (Doucoure, Doorson, Carter, Johnson, Mathis, McConnell, Harper). That would be 66 ppg overall, which is, I think, six points better than last season.

But it all starts with Geo and Gene.

My hope is that we ride an inside-out game of Baker and Omoruyi, with Thiam and Kiss sprinkled in as third and fourth offensive options.

I'd like to see Baker at 14 ppg and Eugene at 12 ppg, basically replacing what we lost from Sanders and Freeman. Then Kiss has to step up and at least replace Mike Williams' 8 ppg, and Thiam has to increase his own production from 7 ppg to 10 ppg.

That's 44 points from your top four scorers, and I have to think we'll be able to add another 22 ppg from the rest of the roster (Doucoure, Doorson, Carter, Johnson, Mathis, McConnell, Harper). That would be 66 ppg overall, which is, I think, six points better than last season.

But it all starts with Geo and Gene.

Totally agree, although I will say Gene's game is so unpredictable and unique. I remember when he was recruited he was referred to as the canadian draymond green, and although I am not saying he is the same talent level. The style of play is so similar. Green can hit an outside shot, but isn't a shooter. They both score by being crafty, using their balance and patience to get easy looks. They both play well defensively and know how to use their frame. I really like the strides that Gene took last year and hope he continues it this year.

While Geo will miss Corey taking the heat off of him, Geo will actually have more (albeit less experienced) help in the back court this season. McConnel should be much better than Souf at PG. Williams missed so much time, so Kiss should more than fill his shoes. Montez Mathis is a huge upgrade to Bullock, who saw the floor only because Williams was injured last year.

While Geo will miss Corey taking the heat off of him, Geo will actually have more (albeit less experienced) help in the back court this season. McConnel should be much better than Souf at PG. Williams missed so much time, so Kiss should more than fill his shoes. Montez Mathis is a huge upgrade to Bullock, who saw the floor only because Williams was injured last year.

Yea, this team definitely has more talent, young talent, but more talent

Not sure how Kiss is defensively but with that size and length and a 40" vert he has the tools to be good. Williams was a liability on offense. For a senior to shoot such a low percentage was a massive disappointment. He also could not creat his own shot or create for others. Kiss has to be seen as a big upgrade on offense and seems to have the fire and grit to hopefully continue that part of Williams game that everyone loves. Williams and Sanders had to be one of the worst 3 point shooting guard tandems in the country last year.

Reactions: TheAtlanticFiles
Fan base needs to realize what Geo is and what Geo isn't. The on court expectations that many are placing on him is not healthy.

Geo is the right guy to be the face of the program. No doubt.

I may have missed it but what are your expectations for Geo this year? I'm with you. I think people might be expecting too much out of him right now

I just don't see Geo as a star who scores over 15 PPG. Hopefully he improves his shooting and can be counted on knocking down open shots. right now he can create offense with a mid range step back shot. i don't see him as someone who can beat a defender off the dribble and finish at the rim.

Freshman year he his forced to play more minutes than he should
Sophomore year he is being asked to be a point guard when it appears to me he isn't

What he brings to the program as the full package makes him an "all star". When we talk about the head coach as the closer for recruits I think the "host" can be the most important human piece to the puzzle.

Reactions: gregkoko
I just don't see Geo as a star who scores over 15 PPG. Hopefully he improves his shooting and can be counted on knocking down open shots. right now he can create offense with a mid range step back shot. i don't see him as someone who can beat a defender off the dribble and finish at the rim.

Sophomore year he is being asked to be a point guard when it appears to me he isn't

What he brings to the program as the full package makes him an "all star". When we talk about the head coach as the closer for recruits I think the "host" can be the most important human piece to the puzzle.

I've been rewatching some games and I'm less concerned about him as a PG. His dribbling isn't as smooth as Corey's but IMO he has better vision and is a better passer. He made some good passes that ended with other guys blowing a layup.

Can he sustain being the primary guy for the same number of minutes as last year, maybe not. But the other guards are better than we had last year.

Reactions: Scangg and dkostus
I've been rewatching some games and I'm less concerned about him as a PG. His dribbling isn't as smooth as Corey's but IMO he has better vision and is a better passer. He made some good passes that ended with other guys blowing a layup.

Can he sustain being the primary guy for the same number of minutes as last year, maybe not. But the other guards are better than we had last year.
I agree with you and GRFIG on this. My main concerns with him as lead guard are if teams decide to pick on him and press full court. In the half court I believe he will be somewhat of an upgrade, as he plays with his head up.

I think most people are expecting a 12-15 point range which seems very realistic to me. I don't see anyone predicting first team all conference.

As for him being a PG, he said he played PG his whole life until last year. He's likely a better PG than Sanders in terms of seeing the floor and passing. Lacks the quickness and explosiveness of sanders to get all the way to the rim possibly but that isn't something to dwell on. He can shoot the 3. Make the step back jumper. And when he penatrates I expect him to be better at finding the open man on kick outs and dump offs to the bigs. Just bc people are excited about about Geo doesn't mean people have crazy unlrealistic expectations

I think most people are expecting a 12-15 point range which seems very realistic to me. I don't see anyone predicting first team all conference.

As for him being a PG, he said he played PG his whole life until last year. He's likely a better PG than Sanders in terms of seeing the floor and passing. Lacks the quickness and explosiveness of sanders to get all the way to the rim possibly but that isn't something to dwell on. He can shoot the 3. Make the step back jumper. And when he penatrates I expect him to be better at finding the open man on kick outs and dump offs to the bigs. Just bc people are excited about about Geo doesn't mean people have crazy unlrealistic expectations
Agree, dont think anyone is expecting 20 ppg. Fifteen with an upticked shooting percentage coming from a team leader who runs the offense for close to 35 MPG: sign me up.

Agree, dont think anyone is expecting 20 ppg. Fifteen with an upticked shooting percentage coming from a team leader who runs the offense for close to 35 MPG: sign me up.

If Baker is scoring 15 PPG the ball is in his hands too much or he is shooting it at an insanely high percentage. You don't want Geo scoring 15 PPG.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Everyone is talking about scoring numbers. Curious what kind of assist numbers people expect from Geo. Also who else on the team is going to be able to create for teammates? I think Kiss and Mathis ability to create their own shots and shots for others is the real wild card for how good this team will be offensively

Reactions: ruready07
Everyone is talking about scoring numbers. Curious what kind of assist numbers people expect from Geo. Also who else on the team is going to be able to create for teammates? I think Kiss and Mathis ability to create their own shots and shots for others is the real wild card for how good this team will be offensively

No human is faster than a chest pass. Ball movement!

Reactions: littlenis5
If Baker is scoring 15 PPG the ball is in his hands too much or he is shooting it at an insanely high percentage. You don't want Geo scoring 15 PPG.
You’re arrogant, FIG. Geo averaged 10.8 last year, and for several games he was sick. Fifteen would be great from him. No need to tell me what I want Or how much a guy Would have to have the ball in his hands to finish with 15. You seem to assume that you no more basketball than anyone else on the board, and I think that’s a mistake.

You’re arrogant, FIG. Geo averaged 10.8 last year, and for several games he was sick. Fifteen would be great from him. No need to tell me what I want Or how much a guy Would have to have the ball in his hands to finish with 15. You seem to assume that you no more basketball than anyone else on the board, and I think that’s a mistake.

Do you realize how few people average 15 PPG?

Yes! This!

Uh... if he's shooting at that "insanely high percentage" you sure do. He shot under 40% overall last year, despite a decent 3pt.%... if he brings it up slightly overall in each category and he takes two more shots per game, he easily gets most of the way there. Not crazy for the now lead-guard on the team.

You're also assuming only mild improvement in ppg for the team overall if you think 15 for Geo is crazy. The #16 scorer in the Big Ten last year was Vincent Edward's at 15.1. Jordan Murphy was at #17 with 14.9.

If we hope to improve why is it crazy to expect our top scorer to be in the top 15 overall scorers in the league? Multiple point guards on that list, btw

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT