ADVERTISEMENT

GG is afraid of competition

Do you realize that if Pike wanted him moving he would have ? That’s not a complicated instruction, and GG speaks English as far as I know.

Our offense was primarily guard iso and high screens for the guards. GG and Hyatt were supposed to stay out of the way to create space for that.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Or, the guards couldn't distribute anywhere because the off ball movement was awful. Gavin basically stood still half the year. It was a combination of many things and blame belongs everywhere.

Is that play design or GG/wings not following the play?

If the play doesn't call for GG(or anyone) to be moving off ball, not really advisable for them to start free lancing.

If the play called for off ball movement and GG/wings weren't moving, that's on the players.

Is that play design or GG/wings not following the play?

If the play doesn't call for GG(or anyone) to be moving off ball, not really advisable for them to start free lancing.

If the play called for off ball movement and GG/wings weren't moving, that's on the players.
It’s not play design…it’s offense design. Either two-man game with Cliff or guards to iso and beat their defenders in space. Hyatt and GG supposed to stay in the corners.

It’s absolutely ridiculous my to think GG and Hyatt didn’t understand they were supposed to move.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
It’s not play design…it’s offense design. Either two-man game with Cliff or guards to iso and beat their defenders in space. Hyatt and GG supposed to stay in the corners.

It’s absolutely ridiculous my to think GG and Hyatt didn’t understand they were supposed to move.
Hyatt got plenty of open looks, it's only GG I've heard the team couldn't get him good looks excuse for. Which is silly to begin with, because he did get open looks and took the most shots on the team per 40, but that's another story. Gavin was a little lost, took bad shots and his teammates seemed to lose confidence in him for awhile. Multiple things were at fault.
Watch Gavins movement early in the year and then the end of the year. It's different and the offense didn't change. Now, none of that is saying the offense is best suited for him, but he could have been successful in it moving forward. It was always supposed to be a growth year for him.

Reactions: Eagleton96
So we are paying players millions of dollars to win one NCAA game?? That’s success to you? What a complete waste of $$$

I will never donate to NIL. Period. Paying players to be unsuccessful makes zero sense. I was born at RU. I went to church my entire life on campus. I got my degree from RU. my blood is as Scarlet as anyone else’s. I will never “donate” money to a cause that makes zero sense. It makes ZERO SENSE to pay players to be unsuccessful. IF we were to win the NCAA tournament next year, then I guess the system works. But it’s not happening for RU next year and likely never will.
When it costs $30 to park, who has money to donate to NIL? As many have said, the school name on the jersey means nothing anymore, maybe only to a few select blue bloods. Otherwise it's just a market free for all. While next year we may have a good season, long term, if this keeps up, it's bad for Rutgers. I fear 3 years from now we could return to perennial basement dweller.

So we are paying players millions of dollars to win one NCAA game?? That’s success to you? What a complete waste of $$$

I will never donate to NIL. Period. Paying players to be unsuccessful makes zero sense. I was born at RU. I went to church my entire life on campus. I got my degree from RU. my blood is as Scarlet as anyone else’s. I will never “donate” money to a cause that makes zero sense. It makes ZERO SENSE to pay players to be unsuccessful. IF we were to win the NCAA tournament next year, then I guess the system works. But it’s not happening for RU next year and likely never will.

We are paying coaches millions of dollars to win 1 NCAA tournament game?

Actually, we just gave a raise to coaches to win 1 NCAA tournament game.

Were you similarly outraged?
Thoughts on paying coaches to be unsuccessful?

Do you realize that if Pike wanted him moving he would have ? That’s not a complicated instruction, and GG speaks English as far as I know.

Our offense was primarily guard iso and high screens for the guards. GG and Hyatt were supposed to stay out of the way to create space for that.

Ok - but somehow Hyatt’s shooting percentage improved year over year in each year he was at Rutgers. That’s true not only from long range but from everywhere. Meanwhile our surrounding cast of guards got worse in each of those years. In other words, literally the opposite of what you suggested was true for Hyatt. There was a negative correlation between his shooting and guard performance. He shot at a higher percentage when we had worse guards.

Disagree. Did the guys I mention have just one wide open jumper all year ? Asked another way, did DSelfish, JaChucker or JWill drive, draw defenders and pass to an open player for a jumper ? The answer is: never.

Then add in Cliff who also never once passed from the paint to a perimeter player (or to anyone).

We saw Hyatt drive more than ever this year because he was never open outside. Not his strength. GG’s either.

And as I said, Hyatt shot his best percentage numbers as a Scarlet night from both 2 and 3 this past season.

We only have one year of data on Gavin, but in Hyatt’s case his RU career does not support your argument.

And as I said, Hyatt shot his best percentage numbers as a Scarlet night from both 2 and 3 this past season.

We only have one year of data on Gavin, but in Hyatt’s case his RU career does not support your argument.
The argument doesn't hold any water in the first place. I actually question if these folks even watched the games because it's really just complaining for complaining's sake. Trying to change the narrative with different O schemes totally ignores the fact that the talent and shooting was poor from the square one; reminds me of the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig", in the end it all ends up the same

The argument doesn't hold any water in the first place. I actually question if these folks even watched the games because it's really just complaining for complaining's sake. Trying to change the narrative with different O schemes totally ignores the fact that the talent and shooting was poor from the square one; reminds me of the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig", in the end it all ends up the same

I agree completely. My point was that even taking what he suggested as a given, it’s clearly not a true statement that every “shooter” would perform worse alongside our guards than they otherwise would. That’s not what happened with Hyatt. The stats support the polar opposite of this. I’m not saying there is a negative correlation. I think the data supports there being more than enough opportunities for any good shooter to have a decent season, and no excuse whatsoever for sub pedestrian output other than ppt individual performance.

I agree completely. My point was that even taking what he suggested as a given, it’s clearly not a true statement that every “shooter” would perform worse alongside our guards than they otherwise would. That’s not what happened with Hyatt. The stats support the polar opposite of this. I’m not saying there is a negative correlation. I think the data supports there being more than enough opportunities for any good shooter to have a decent season, and no excuse whatsoever for sub pedestrian output other than ppt individual performance.
And maybe the O was guard oriented because the outside shooting was so bad? This idea that Pike doesn't know how to coach or get the most out of what he has to work with is silly. He tried to run the O thru Cliff early in the season and that didn't work, so he tried something else. He also showed he'd play the hot hand, whoever it was in that game, to get points and a win. One game it was Oskar, another Noah, etc; Cam's leaving crippled a team short on shooters to begin with, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and he definitely gave GG plenty of opportunities to get into a groove

And maybe the O was guard oriented because the outside shooting was so bad? This idea that Pike doesn't know how to coach or get the most out of what he has to work with is silly. He tried to run the O thru Cliff early in the season and that didn't work, so he tried something else. He also showed he'd play the hot hand, whoever it was in that game, to get points and a win. One game it was Oskar, another Noah, etc; Cam's leaving crippled a team short on shooters to begin with, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and he definitely gave GG plenty of opportunities to get into a groove
how did guard-oriented work out ? I agree Pike tried different guard combos but clearly the best shooter of the five of them (Noah) played less than the starting three and only more than AW.

The crux of the matter is, Pike's playing time allocations was built for defense instead of offense, and his group of untalented guards was exposed both as poor shooters and poor passers....never creating good looks for others. Good defense doesn't make up for god-awful offense, and in that latter measure GG wasn't among the leading reasons. The guards were the reasons.

His Dad.
Pretty sure not a pike fan.
Likely soured on him / blamed him for Gavin’s struggles.

This Kn0wledge post come from within the Griffiths family.

99% sure.
So I guess Pikell and Griffiths families won't be doing May dinners anytime soon.

The same happens when you "donate" to the AD.
Fans fund the AD and make zero decisions.
Never seems to have been a problem for fans before.
You need to look closer as to how RJR Barnabas and Battaglia Practice Facility got built as examples. Those were directed donations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT