ADVERTISEMENT

GG is afraid of competition

Without a fully healthy or willing Mag its the same team that failed the year prior WITHOUT Caleb McConnell so no imo

In addition Paul was shaky last year i would be careful in throwing certainties with him if he stayed
I was going to point out that while I certainly wanted him back (but not in his PG role) half the forum was hating on him end of last year.. (he certainly deserved some critic). However his off ball effort and leadership would certainly have helped.
Real Mag, Cam. Paul I think they are just barely in but HTF knows with these guys.

I was going to point out that while I certainly wanted him back (but not in his PG role) half the forum was hating on him end of last year.. (he certainly deserved some critic). However his off ball effort and leadership would certainly have helped.
Real Mag, Cam. Paul I think they are just barely in but HTF knows with these guys.

I would haved liked him back too. I just think in the end we would still be trying to thread a needle for a ncaa bud with how the roster was constructed

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
No matter what happened in 2023-24, the depth never stepped up or improved and that includes Gavin. The whole Mag mess was also another reason where fans overhyped a marginal B1G starter, into something bigger than reality.....then when you go to look to count on that player, he pulls a no-show for most of the season.

Investing minutes into Gavin, Wolf, JWill, JMike, Simpson and Mag was the right move, since all could have proven they would be able to play next year. The 2 players who played the hardest and tried with the most level of effort that had eligibility left after this past season were JMike and JWill,....I could continue and ask folks like bac why Gavin shouldn't have to compete for minutes and should be handed them on a silver platter.

Gavin had a free slate and green light to shoot as often as he wanted AND, if he bought into defense and rebounding, he would have played more. Especially with Mag out sulking or whatever that was.

Simpson and Hyatt for the most part did as much as they could, but like Mag, Gavin and others who hit the portal, they weren't good enough to be leading players in a tough league.

I agreed with not running it back with Mulcahy and Spencer as 5th year guys who wouldnt be heee in 2024-25 and I certainly don't have a problem with the housecleaning after this season.

How that looks is really irrelevant because every program with quality players, starters, are entering the portal or being asked to leave......what's more important is correcting mistakes and cutting losses, which is what RU, Pike did with this portal season.

We aren't losing much production with Gavin, Mag or others.....the one obvious hole is Cliff, but we aren't exactly without options to score next year. We just need someone who can defend and rebound at the 5, to help Lathan Sommerville.

Replacing the guards departing is not that difficult, even if it's Allocco from Princeton, who is a serviceable player. I think we can do better than that via the portal, but we have Austin Williams, Gavin Griffiths, Derek Simpson and Noah Fernandes production to replace. Most of the portal guards under consideration are better or more complete players than the production lost.

Alot of assumptions considering our success was thread the needle in 2022-23 and fell apart without Mag.
I don’t really agree with this. During the (rather brief) stretch before Mag got hurt when he was playing very well and the team was hot we were playing like a top 15 team. But that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the performance averaged across the entire year including the injuries. All of the following needed to happen:

- bad timing of injuries likely costs us the Temple game and possibly the Miami game
- screwed out of OSU
- decided to play our worst minute of basketball at the end of the Minnesota game as opposed to any other time
- were left out by the committee despite 95% of the bracket matrix having us in

You change any one of those things and we’re in the tournament. That was a team that was ranked #355 in luck in Kenpom as was still thought to be in right up until the Selection Show.

What were we adding besides another year for everyone? Do you think Pike should have recruited someone over Hyatt/Mag. Imagine a Yeboah in that stop. Thats what we needed
Seems like a trick question. With no other info I’d prefer the best possible player at any position at all times, but I have no idea how realistic it was to upgrade those positions in the portal.

In hindsight Mag is a cancer and we should’ve just let him transfer last offseason. Hyatt is not great but really was not the major issue with the team and I think he could’ve been perfectly fine/servicable/whatever on a roster with Cam and Paul.

@gigantor1024 check out Utah State. This is happening everywhere. It’s going to be the new norm until the rules change again. Virginia and NC state also rebuilt this past year. UConn rebuilt in 2022 before winning the NC.
So we are paying players millions of dollars to win one NCAA game?? That’s success to you? What a complete waste of $$$
I’m making a general statement here, as I don’t post all the time, but for f$@@ks sake, how about all the people that post here that constantly bitch about everything; I sure hope you are donating towards the NIL; if not, please shut up; it’s tiresome. Please put your money where your mouth is. I’m frustrated as hell with the whole situation going on right now, but we have to deal with it. Let’s see what happens in the next month or so; if we have very little committed from the portal, then we can all agree we are in trouble. Until then, let’s just let this thing play out.
I will never donate to NIL. Period. Paying players to be unsuccessful makes zero sense. I was born at RU. I went to church my entire life on campus. I got my degree from RU. my blood is as Scarlet as anyone else’s. I will never “donate” money to a cause that makes zero sense. It makes ZERO SENSE to pay players to be unsuccessful. IF we were to win the NCAA tournament next year, then I guess the system works. But it’s not happening for RU next year and likely never will.

Reactions: bac2therac
So we are paying players millions of dollars to win one NCAA game?? That’s success to you? What a complete waste of $$$

I will never donate to NIL. Period. Paying players to be unsuccessful makes zero sense. I was born at RU. I went to church my entire life on campus. I got my degree from RU. my blood is as Scarlet as anyone else’s. I will never “donate” money to a cause that makes zero sense. It makes ZERO SENSE to pay players to be unsuccessful. IF we were to win the NCAA tournament next year, then I guess the system works. But it’s not happening for RU next year and likely never will.
Exactly.

Players are sometimes paid to be unsuccessful everywhere. It’s not like you wait until the results of the season and then decide how much to pay for that season. I don’t really understand this objection. Obviously you pay for the players that you expect to be successful.

Players are sometimes paid to be unsuccessful everywhere. It’s not like you wait until the results of the season and then decide how much to pay for that season. I don’t really understand this objection. Obviously you pay for the players that you expect to be successful.
except that fans don’t get to choose who they are buying and Pike will spend on ‘best available’ who will agree to come.

If he spends on Martini or the Yale center, it’s wasted NIL.

Reactions: bac2therac

How did you graduate from Rutgers with such illogical thinking? That's embarrassing. It takes NIL to win games. But you won't donate to NIL ever because you don't want to contribute if we are losing games. If we are winning games (and we don't need your donation) then you will consider contributing. ???????????????

How did you graduate from Rutgers with such illogical thinking? That's embarrassing. It takes NIL to win games. But you won't donate to NIL ever because you don't want to contribute if we are losing games. If we are winning games (and we don't need your donation) then you will consider contributing. ???????????????
I think he’s saying that if NIL gets us at best a tourney bid every once in while for a first round win or maybe two, what’s the point ? Is it worth it ?

Reactions: gigantor1024

He makes zero sense

His argument summarized…

- You’re a “loser” unless you win a national championship

- Rutgers isn’t going to win a national championship

- I am not going to donate a penny to a “loser”

he “bleeds scarlet”

Yeah. 👍🏻

Recruiting has been an issue here. 2023 and 2024 failures wave hello. On paper it looks good for 2025 but GG was top 30 player. Jones top 100 as well. Pike centered this year about Derek Simoson and Aundre Hyatt

In the portal world top players will not be attracted to defense first teams if the $$$ isnt there
I wonder if Pike kind of knew this year would be down…they recruited JWill with the last scholly last summer (instead of giving it to an eligible guy), he was supposed to be ineligible this year being a 2 time transfer (not to mention the gambling or the Achilles) they weren’t even expecting him to play until 24-25
Those late transfers leaving in July really hurt us.. we took 3 injured transfers last summer JWill, Awill and Big E…we took what we could get…I think Pike is gonna do great in the portal this year with all this time

except that fans don’t get to choose who they are buying and Pike will spend on ‘best available’ who will agree to come.

If he spends on Martini or the Yale center, it’s wasted NIL.
If you think Pike is an idiot who will waste your NIL money then sure. I don’t believe that but I could see it as a reason not to donate.

I wonder if Pike kind of knew this year would be down…they recruited JWill with the last scholly last summer (instead of giving it to an eligible guy), he was supposed to be ineligible this year being a 2 time transfer (not to mention the gambling or the Achilles) they weren’t even expecting him to play until 24-25
Those late transfers leaving in July really hurt us.. we took 3 injured transfers last summer JWill, Awill and Big E…we took what we could get…I think Pike is gonna do great in the portal this year with all this time
Once he found out Paul and Cam were leaving I’m sure he knew there would be trouble this year. There were worlds where we were okay but nothing really went his way.

Once he found out Paul and Cam were leaving I’m sure he knew there would be trouble this year. There were worlds where we were okay but nothing really went his way.
Iirc the Board last summer (including me) generally expected Noah>Paul and GG to be a ~10 ppg scorer, not replacing Cam, but filling a decent gap. We all also expected Cliff to be at least 2nd team All B1G, and Mag to be ready physically and mentally for the B1G campaign. We know how all that didn't materialize unfortunately.

If you think Pike is an idiot who will waste your NIL money then sure. I don’t believe that but I could see it as a reason not to donate.

Not an idiot, but I do think he’ll have to overspend just to get any new starters at all, nevermind legit ones. The Ivy names being mentioned are clearly not P5 starter talents.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire and with all these guys leaving, especially GG, I think it’s a red flag and we won’t get adequate replacement talent.

Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that we get desperate and convince Simpson to stay ? I hope so, but I don’t think we’re as attractive to portal guys as many think we are

Last edited:
Not an idiot, but I do think he’ll have to overspend just to get any new starters at all, nevermind legit ones. The Ivy names being mentioned are clearly not P5 starter talents.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire and with all these guys leaving, especially GG, I think it’s a red flag and we won’t get adequate replacement talent.
Normally I would agree that so many people leaving is a red flag, but it seems like that is happening everywhere now so I’m not so sure.
Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that we get desperate and convince Simpson to stay ? I hope so, but I don’t think we’re as attractive to portal guys as many think we are
I would honestly be happy to have Simpson as a bench player; he does a lot of things well and I think he could be an okay piece when not asked to do so much offensively.

I have no idea regarding how attractive we are to portal talent.

Normally I would agree that so many people leaving is a red flag, but it seems like that is happening everywhere now so I’m not so sure.

I would honestly be happy to have Simpson as a bench player; he does a lot of things well and I think he could be an okay piece when not asked to do so much offensively.

I have no idea regarding how attractive we are to portal talent.
Yes I’d be fine with Simpson as a limited time defensive role player, and I’d happily change my moniker for him from DSelfish to DStopper. Fine with me. But instead he clearly sees himself as a star player worthy of 10+ isolation shots a game and that mentality sunk us in many games.

re: red flag. Yes it’s happening everywhere, but with freshmen ? I think the GG exit is very troubling. I don’t think it an ‘afraid of competition’ issue. Can’t be. Happens at all big time programs. I think he realizes the ball dominant, unwilling passer guard play next year will be as bad, if not worse than this year and he wants out for that reason.

I think Ace will struggle next year just like GG did this year.

Last edited:
Yes I’d be fine with Simpson as a limited time defensive role player, and I’d happily change my moniker for him from DSelfish to DStopper. Fine with me. But instead he clearly sees himself as a star player worthy of 10+ isolation shots a game and that mentality sunk us in many games.
I don’t think it’s super clear. It’s possible you’re right. But I think it’s also possible he felt compelled to play that way because of the general futility of our offense this past season. I guess we’ll see what happens at his next stop.

Is it a little concerning that so many players hit the portal? Sure. Doesn't matter what's taking place with other programs - it's still a little concerning (for those other programs and for us). And it's perfectly reasonable to hold onto that minor concern until we get a much better idea of what the team will look like for next season.

Conversely, all the doom-posting on the forum is ridiculous. At least wait until we know what the full roster is for next season before leaping to such pessimistic conclusions about the state of the team/coaching/program.

A little concern is one thing. Wildly negative guesstimation before we even see the new players? Pretty silly.

I don’t think it’s super clear. It’s possible you’re right. But I think it’s also possible he felt compelled to play that way because of the general futility of our offense this past season. I guess we’ll see what happens at his next stop.
Was clear to me. Almost always took shots early in the clock and other players never bothered to cut to the hoop or pop out for a pass once he started his drives.

That’s fine. Bury your head in the sand if you want.

re: red flag. Yes it’s happening everywhere, but with freshmen ? I think the GG exit is very troubling. I don’t think it an ‘afraid of competition’ issue. Can’t be. Happens at all big time programs. I think he realizes the ball dominant, unwilling passer guard play next year will be as bad, if not worse than this year and he wants out for that reason.

I think Ace will struggle next year just like GG did this year.
The real red flag would be having to ask Simpson to come back.

Reactions: Shelby65
exactly if Pike cant convince GG of his potential role than how does he do it to some jonny come lately portal player that has a dozen other offers that does not know Pike from Adam.

Sure Pike will get players to make up a roster but will any of these be the coveted ones that will provide the leadership experience and talent...looks like with the 2 Princeton players we could get the first 2 but the talent part is going to be desperately needed, is RU in with any of the top portal players right now...dont think so

next year is not about the future, its about a one year run with ONCE IN A LIFETIME PLAYERS...which means you have one shot to win and you have to load as much talent as you can you only got one shot do not lose your chance to blow this opportunity comes once in a lifetime
You are all over the place with this post. Take a breath. Didn’t Pike convince Dylan, all of the Harper family, Ace etc etc??

If Griffiths doesn’t appreciate Pike, staff and Rutgers, then GTFO. And I believe Gavin is making a big mistake.

Last edited:
My comparison with Gavin was Grady Dick. Grady went to Kansas the year prior to Gavin! They are extremely similar size , weight, and style of play. Both of their recruiting numbers coming out of HS were extremely similar with Gavin’s higher in some areas. Grady had a nice freshman year nothing spectacular but got better every game.

Grady had a good freshman year and was a lottery pick and having a very very good rookie year in the NBA.

Gavin questioning his development makes complete sense if he looks around the NCAA landscape.
Thank you, Mrs Griffiths.

He played terribly but Pike certainly wasn’t able to get much out of him. Can’t blame him for leaving. Someone will fix him. I agree with you…terrible look.
Disagree with this sentiment, Gavin needs to fix HIMSELF, and he's lacking in a multitude of areas. Many including KnOwledge (who is said to be a family member) are critical that they didn't run enough plays to get him shots, so essentially they should have risked games and ultimately the season to develop one player. A ridiculous idea for a guy that had plenty of opportunities and struggled, and don't know how that would've fixed his problems on D or the FT line? The father's criticism of Pike and his handling of GG shows a very selfish side of the Griffiths family, his progress should have been prioritized this year and next, even if at the expense of the team. Others have said he had an attitude and didn't appear to be a team player at games, seems like he wasn't a good fit and his departure is best for all. I look forward to what school will make him the priority over the team as per the family's wishes

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
There were times when GG was on the bench and positive game moments occurred with the team bench jumping up in celebration except for a pouting GG. We should not be surprised he is leaving.
I was hoping he would work his tail off to be ready for his role as a sophomore.
I thought that would be sixth man. But I guess he and his family read his high school clippings and see a star player.

We need rebounding. We need rebounding. We need rebounding.
The 4 and 5 must be strong on the boards. I want our portal 4 to be more a defender and rebounder than a scoring threat. Then you play Ace at the 3 with Dylan and JWill.
If you add a three-point specialist Ace moves to the 4. But your center needs to be a strong defender and rebounder.

We all expect our team shooting to improve with Ace and Dylan. But, how is their D?
Will they rebound?

Reactions: RUGiddy777
There were times when GG was on the bench and positive game moments occurred with the team bench jumping up in celebration except for a pouting GG. We should not be surprised he is leaving.
I was hoping he would work his tail off to be ready for his role as a sophomore.
I thought that would be sixth man. But I guess he and his family read his high school clippings and see a star player.

We need rebounding. We need rebounding. We need rebounding.
The 4 and 5 must be strong on the boards. I want our portal 4 to be more a defender and rebounder than a scoring threat. Then you play Ace at the 3 with Dylan and JWill.
If you add a three-point specialist Ace moves to the 4. But your center needs to be a strong defender and rebounder.

We all expect our team shooting to improve with Ace and Dylan. But, how is their D?
Will they rebound?
FWIW I've read Martini is a good rebounder and blocks out on every shot

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
Once again using his college coach development of him in a system to prove my argument. The original post was comparing them coming out of high school something you want to avoid. They were damn close HS evaluations. One kid became a lottery pick the other a regressed unplayable walk on look alike

You new to college sports? Recruits not living up to their high school hype happens every year. Unhyped recruits turning into studs happens every year. Certainly more in football - but every single recruiting service missed Ja Morant.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Scarlet83
You new to college sports? Recruits not living up to their high school hype happens every year. Unhyped recruits turning into studs happens every year. Certainly more in football - but every single recruiting service missed Ja Morant.

Partly true but it’s also true we didn’t have any semblance of team offense to get him any clean looks, or Hyatt or Oskar. There isn’t a shooter anywhere in the country who would have excelled with the guard play we had last season. Not one.

Partly true but it’s also true we didn’t have any semblance of team offense to get him any clean looks, or Hyatt or Oskar. There isn’t a shooter anywhere in the country who would have excelled with the guard play we had last season. Not one.
Eh I love Caleb and Paul but I don’t see it that Cam succeeded because of them on our roster. The guard play didn’t help but what your saying is a major stretch. Plenty of shooters would’ve done just fine individually on our team.

Eh I love Caleb and Paul but I don’t see it that Cam succeeded because of them on our roster. The guard play didn’t help but what your saying is a major stretch. Plenty of shooters would’ve done just fine individually on our team.
Disagree. Did the guys I mention have just one wide open jumper all year ? Asked another way, did DSelfish, JaChucker or JWill drive, draw defenders and pass to an open player for a jumper ? The answer is: never.

Then add in Cliff who also never once passed from the paint to a perimeter player (or to anyone).

We saw Hyatt drive more than ever this year because he was never open outside. Not his strength. GG’s either.

He shot 60% from the FT line. He had a poor freshman year - though point guard play was part of it - certainly not all of it.

He shot 60% from the FT line. He had a poor freshman year - though point guard play was part of it - certainly not all of it.
Foul line fail, sure. Should have been 70+. I put most of the live action struggles on the guard play though. Think back as I said how often did Hyatt drive this year because the guards couldnt pass him open. there was nothing else for him. GG took 25 footers because that’s how far away he needed to be to get space. There’s no way around it. The guards didn’t distribute for better looks and played hero ball instead, or tried to.

Last edited:
Foul line fail, sure. Should have been 70+. I put most of the live action struggles on the guard play though. Think back as I said how often did Hyatt drive this year because the guards couldnt pass him open. there was nothing else for him. GG took 25 footers because that’s how far away he needed to be to get space. There’s no way around it. The guards didn’t distribute for better looks and played hero ball instead, or tried to.
Or, the guards couldn't distribute anywhere because the off ball movement was awful. Gavin basically stood still half the year. It was a combination of many things and blame belongs everywhere.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT